PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering Highlite

10-K
06-21-2012, 05:39
I bought my first Western Mountaineering bag last night - the 35* Highlite. The long weighs 17 oz - which is the same as my MontBell #7 50* bag.

I suspect I could put the MontBell bag inside the WM bag and be good down to 20* or I could put my MontBell #2 inside the WM and have a 3 lb 2 oz 0* bag.

q-tip
06-21-2012, 05:46
I bought the WM Alpinlite with the overfill-15d-I sleep great....

1azarus
06-21-2012, 10:59
I feel really badly for you tall people having to buy and carry all those extra feathers to keep your legs warm.

More seriously, I love my highlite and have been extending its range by wearing my gossamer gear murmur pack with my plastic bag liner left inside -- under my windshirt. I've been wearing it on my stomach since I sleep on my back (in a hammock, as you know...) but it should work as well on your back if you are a stomach sleeper. I can't believe how much warmer I am wearing the pack to bed! It seems to work as well for insulation as a nano jacket would, so I've managed to cut a bit more summer weight from my pack.

Llama Legs
06-21-2012, 11:30
I use my WM Highlite inside a lightweight 40 degree semi-rectangular synthetic bag in the winter. 12 degrees has been the lowest overnight so far. The synthetic bag offers moisture protection for the down bag. I can't do VBL's - I feel clammy and trapped. Sized right, doubling up bags is not a bad way to go. Offers flexibility in the field for not much more weight. Pretty much what the military uses now.