PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Swimming?

cschriner999
06-21-2012, 08:01
Hi everybody, a buddy and I are looking to do between 50 and 60 miles (we have four days) and we wanted to find a stretch where there is fresh water swimming. We've heard suggestions of New Hampshire and Vermont but nothing more (or more specific) than that. Any recommendations? Looking to stay in the northern states.

Thanks for the help,

sailsET
06-21-2012, 08:28
Lake Michigan would be a beautiful place to swim, up towards Traverse City. Walloon Lake, Michigan is also wonderful.

cschriner999
06-21-2012, 08:44
that is a beautiful area, I've been up there before, I'm looking for some places on/close to the AT though.

Cookerhiker
06-21-2012, 08:44
My favorite swimming in Vermont was Stratton Pond which is at the base of Stratton Mountain. If you're hiking north, you ascend the mountain first, then descend to the pond. Nearest road crossing is Kelly Strand Rd.

Vermont also has Little Rock Pond and Griffith Lake which are 20 and 30 miles respectively north of Stratton.

So a good hike for you - considering major road crossings - is between Rt. 9 outside Bennington and Rt. 140 from Wallingford. In 66 miles, you'll hit all 3 lakes.

ATMountainTime
06-21-2012, 08:54
Great post. Was just planning/researching places to go next year. theres nothing like a nice couple hours of swimming after a long hike.

Llama Legs
06-21-2012, 09:21
I know you want to be on the AT but...

Northern Section of the Bruce Trail in Ontario. Follows the Niagara Escarpment along the Georgian Bay. World class views. Start at Lion's Head and head North to terminus in Tobermory. Swim every day in crystal clear fresh water!

Ender
06-21-2012, 10:22
Hi everybody, a buddy and I are looking to do between 50 and 60 miles (we have four days) and we wanted to find a stretch where there is fresh water swimming. We've heard suggestions of New Hampshire and Vermont but nothing more (or more specific) than that. Any recommendations? Looking to stay in the northern states.

Thanks for the help,

I see you're in NYC, so I'd suggest taking NJ Transit up to Harriman and going from there at Arden Valley Road (give or take about mile 1370) to NY 22 for the Metro North AT stop (give or take about mile 1430). It cuts right through Harriman Park, which is a great section, and you can swim at the public beach in the park which is less than a mile off the trail.

peakbagger
06-21-2012, 11:56
White Cap to Abol Bridge in the 100 mile wilderness. Includes the Cooper Brook Shelter which has a renowned swimming hole. If you are willing to spend dollars check with Katahdin Air they can shuttle you via float plane . THe various shuttle firms in Monson could set you up.

Slo-go'en
06-21-2012, 11:58
I remember NY has having the most ponds to wade into. Since we did that section during a week of "heat index advisory" temps and humidity, they were a welcome break during the day.

Maine has a lot of ponds along the trail too, but they tend to be spaced a bit farther apart and some rugged trail in between. And the water is pretty darn cold!

Bear-bait
06-25-2012, 20:17
White Cap to Abol Bridge in the 100 mile wilderness. Includes the Cooper Brook Shelter which has a renowned swimming hole. If you are willing to spend dollars check with Katahdin Air they can shuttle you via float plane . THe various shuttle firms in Monson could set you up.

Having just completed a section hike of the 100 mile wilderness, I second this suggestion. There are several lakes with sand beaches and pools in streams to swim w/in the section listed above. In addition to Cooper Brook, Rainbow Stream shelter also has a wonderful pool to swim in.

Cookerhiker
06-25-2012, 21:15
Re. Maine, I thought Lower Jo-Mary Lake (100 Mile Wilderness) had the best beach.16386

cschriner999
06-26-2012, 12:25
I don't know too much about the 100 mile wilderness, is there a way to do just 50-60 miles of it. I don't really want to book that flight and spend that money. I guess I'm asking, can I do the swimming and hike part of 100 mile wilderness, or do you have to pretty much do the whole thing once your in it?

Thanks for all the advice!

peakbagger
06-26-2012, 14:01
You dont have to use Katahdin Air. There are shuttlers that can pick you up in Millinocket and drop you off at a trail intersection or or a side road that leads to the trail. Basically figue out how many day you want to be on the trail and they can drop you off accordingly.

Make sure you visit Antlers Campsite on Jo Mary Pond, you may end up spending the entire trip there.

Another stretch unfortunately in the news recently is Long Falls Dam Road to Caratunk. There are three major ponds along the route including Pierce Pond where a hiker recently drowned. The trip also includes crossing the Kennebec. If you want to add in more lake, Flagstaff lake is just a short walk north from the AT on the other side of Long Falls Dam road. Maine Huts and Trails also has a high end hut system nearby, if you dont mind an easy hitch you could make a five or six day loop by adding in their trails

Cookerhiker
06-26-2012, 14:13
The two Carry Ponds - West Carry and East Carry - are also good places to swim. I heard loons at West Carry and saw them at East Carry.

The cool thing about NY and New England is the myriad of natural lakes & ponds. But not Flagstaff; it's a phony lake created by a dam. You may as well go to TN and swim in Watauga.