PDA

View Full Version : how many canisters?

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 08:31
got the okay from my boss to take off the month of august to do ME SOBO.ive never been on the trail longer than 2 weeks,so im wondering how much fuel ill need for a month. i use a pocket rocket, so how many canisters do you think ill need?

Cookerhiker
06-21-2012, 08:34
Some questions come to mind first; need more info:

1. How often do you cook - both breakfast and dinner or just one?
2. Assuming you need a stove for dinner, do you just need to bring water to a boil and reconstitute something e.g. Ramen or do you actually cook with requisite simmer time?

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 08:46
ive been doing fbcs on my section hikes for dinner,and although ill look to vary my menu this time, im still not looking to do any gourmet cooking, keep it simple.for breakfast, coffee's a must(ive switched to via) in the am, oatmeal maybe half the time

coach lou
06-21-2012, 08:51
ive been doing fbcs on my section hikes for dinner,and although ill look to vary my menu this time, im still not looking to do any gourmet cooking, keep it simple.for breakfast, coffee's a must(ive switched to via) in the am, oatmeal maybe half the time

Coffee...via....coffee....via..........one or two gourmet meals after Caratunk!

Cookerhiker
06-21-2012, 08:54
I'd plan on at least 4 and find out which towns stock them e.g. Rangeley, Andover.

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 08:57
Coffee...via....coffee....via..........one or two gourmet meals after Caratunk!this idea i like!

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 08:58
I'd plan on at least 4 and find out which towns stock them e.g. Rangeley, Andover.

thanks. how long does cheese last?:)

10-K
06-21-2012, 09:15
4 or 5. Are you going to carry them all at one time?

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 09:20
no way.i need to know which ME towns carry cans(ill be there august) and worst case i can do two at first, pick up two more in caratunk where i plan on meeting up with someone. any towns between abol and kennebec thatll have canisters?

flemdawg1
06-21-2012, 10:09

Of what size? He could prob get by with 2-8oz ones.

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 10:18
Of what size? He could prob get by with 2-8oz ones.
that sounds about right. one 8oz can usually last me for 2- week long trips.

Cookerhiker
06-21-2012, 16:01
no way.i need to know which ME towns carry cans(ill be there august) and worst case i can do two at first, pick up two more in caratunk where i plan on meeting up with someone. any towns between abol and kennebec thatll have canisters?

According to the 2012 Companion, there's Northwoods Outfitters (http://www.maineoutfitter.com) in Greenville, a 10 mile hitch west on Rt. 15. I'd think they'd have canisters but call them at 207-695-3288.

RED-DOG
06-21-2012, 17:13
I carried a pocket rocket on my thru-Hike this year the cannister's comes in three sizes ( small, medium, large) i used the medium sized cannister, cooked once a day "dinner" and one cannister lasted 12 days. so you should be good with 2 medium sized and 1 small, but no more than three medium sized cannister's. but it all depends how often you plan to cook. but still you should be good with three "medium" cannister's Have a great hike and happy trails. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 ):dance

Spokes
06-21-2012, 19:09
From MSR:

"In general one canister of MSR IsoPro fuel will be sufficient to boil water for two people over four days in summer. Wind, low temperatures and longer cooking times will increase fuel consumption.

Consider that a rule of thumb........

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 20:15
From MSR:

"In general one canister of MSR IsoPro fuel will be sufficient to boil water for two people over four days in summer. Wind, low temperatures and longer cooking times will increase fuel consumption.im thi

Consider that a rule of thumb........im thinking 2med cans should do it.
By the way you're looking much better today spokes. A bit younger too.

bamboo bob
06-21-2012, 20:28
I used one canister per month boiling just water for dinner. Jetboil.

Spokes
06-21-2012, 20:32
I used one canister per month boiling just water for dinner. Jetboil.

Is that how you stay so thin bamboo bob? :)

Spokes
06-21-2012, 20:33
im thinking 2med cans should do it.

Tnx! Feel good too...... :D

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 20:39
Tnx! Feel good too...... :D

You loked a little out of sorts there for a while.started to get worried.glad you're over it.

Papa D
06-21-2012, 20:40
I make coffee and hot water for oatmeal most mornings and boil dinner water each night - - sometimes cooking a little bit (i.e. dried pasta) - - I can make one medium canister last about 6 days which is about my re-supply frequency - - if I think I'll have trouble getting a canister at re-supply, I sometimes carry an additional small one for backup

Cookerhiker
06-21-2012, 21:06
I use the Coleman Exponent Ultralight and underwent a learning curve on efficient usage. Boiling water for oatmeal & hot chocolate at breakfast, cooking dinners that require 5-7 minutes simmer time, it usually last me 5-6 days.

Deadeye
06-21-2012, 22:55
Nobody's stated the obvious... about twice as much as you need for your 2 week hikes...

Hairbear
06-21-2012, 23:23
im thinking 2med cans should do it.

that water must have been the fountain of youth lol like your pictures spokes

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 23:24
Nobody's stated the obvious... about twice as much as you need for your 2 week hikes...I have Zero experience with this type of stove,mine are white gas,wood,and alcohol,but I'd say ol' Deadeye nailed it....deadballs on the money.I have been thinking about getting that same stove HB57,heard a lot of good things about,and it seems very convenient,have a great hike....Grand Pa.:)

hikerboy57
06-22-2012, 07:12
Nobody's stated the obvious... about twice as much as you need for your 2 week hikes...

that would take all the fun out of overplanning now, wouldnt it?:)
most of my hikes have been week long(really meaning five days + 2 travel days) and a med canister usually is good for 2 trips with just a bit left over)so i figure 1 can for app 10 days. i have someone meeting up with me around caratunk, so im hoping one can to gt me from K to the kennebec, and maybe 1 med,1 small to finish the journey.

Deadeye
06-22-2012, 07:59
that would take all the fun out of overplanning now, wouldnt it?:)
most of my hikes have been week long(really meaning five days + 2 travel days) and a med canister usually is good for 2 trips with just a bit left over)so i figure 1 can for app 10 days. i have someone meeting up with me around caratunk, so im hoping one can to gt me from K to the kennebec, and maybe 1 med,1 small to finish the journey.

I hear you... I"ve never finished a hike out of gas, there's always something left in the canister. Some short trips I jsut take all the nearly-empty canisters with me, and still ahve some left over. I'm jsut notmuch of a planner in that regard. OTOH, my dad could plan fuel consumption to the drop. On longer trips, I usually stash one of the small canisters as a spare... jsut in case. Fuel's one of the only areas I tend to over-pack, cause it sucks to run out.

mmorgan
06-22-2012, 08:29
Love Via in the morning as I get ready for the day!

coach lou
06-22-2012, 09:18
I hear you... I"ve never finished a hike out of gas, there's always something left in the canister. Some short trips I jsut take all the nearly-empty canisters with me, and still ahve some left over. I'm jsut notmuch of a planner in that regard. OTOH, my dad could plan fuel consumption to the drop. On longer trips, I usually stash one of the small canisters as a spare... jsut in case. Fuel's one of the only areas I tend to over-pack, cause it sucks to run out.

+ small can spare!!!

cabbagehead
06-26-2012, 23:49
Last summer (before I got into alcohol stove usage) I finally got the time to do a 3 month trip. I picked up a free small canister in Hanover NH. When I was at the other side of town, I decided that my other canister was full enough, so I dropped a canister in a donation bin for needy dogs (at the supermarket).