PDA

View Full Version : Any advice taken

Mountainman95
06-21-2012, 08:41
Hey guys I'm new I hiking and camping with the exception of going on a few outward bound camps, but any way my cabin is right near the Benton mackaye trail about 2 miles from the access point on 76 near blue ridge and I was thinking about hiking maybe 3 low mileage days worth and I just need advice on anything and every thing thanks so much in advance

SGT Rock
06-21-2012, 18:59
I guess I would want to know what you frame of reference is as to what is low mileage. I think 10 is low, some people say 10 is their max. If you were to hike SoBo on the BMT you could hike it over to Fall Creek Falls which is about 8.7 miles total. There are a few good campsites in there. You could do 2.8 the first day, then 5.6 the second day, and finish up with a short 0.3 miles the last day if you are just looking for a taste of hiking. If you want to go farther, then you might want to start at Brushy Head Gap and hike NoBo 17.3 miles to Watson Gap. With that hike you could go about 4.2 the first day, 10.9 the second day, and finish up with a 2.2 mile day to the gap.

Mountainman95
06-22-2012, 08:34
Ok bushy head gap sounds goo because my cabin is almost right next to that mountain on little bushy head rd but thank you very much and I look forward to getting your book. Where exactly would one buy your book

Mountainman95
06-22-2012, 08:40
Also I plan on using my ENO doublenest and ENO hammock tarp so any advice on hammock camping is accepted as well

SGT Rock
06-22-2012, 08:47
Ok bushy head gap sounds goo because my cabin is almost right next to that mountain on little bushy head rd but thank you very much and I look forward to getting your book. Where exactly would one buy your bookThe North Georgia Mountain Outfitters in Ellijay carries it and the owner has hiked the whole BMT, that is right down US76 from you and probably your best option. Mountain Crossings also carries it, but it is a little more out of the way for you. If either of those don't work out, I sell them on the internet at www.bmtguide.com

Also I plan on using my ENO doublenest and ENO hammock tarp so any advice on hammock camping is accepted as wellAll I use is a hammock. There are lots of excellent spots on the trail for hanging.

Mountainman95
06-22-2012, 08:55
The North Georgia Mountain Outfitters in Ellijay carries it and the owner has hiked the whole BMT, that is right down US76 from you and probably your best option. Mountain Crossings also carries it, but it is a little more out of the way for you. If either of those don't work out, I sell them on the internet at www.bmtguide.com

All I use is a hammock. There are lots of excellent spots on the trail for hanging.

I have been there although I did not see your book, then again I did not ask but I shall next time thank you for your help

SGT Rock
06-22-2012, 09:05
No problem. He recently ordered new stock, so he may have been sold out when you were there. He is my best seller when it comes to outfitters.

WIAPilot
06-22-2012, 12:26
Sgt: Any plans to sell your book on Amazon.com??

Spokes
06-22-2012, 13:46
Got some extra time? Watch Andrew Skurka's talk on gear he gave at Google HQ (little over 1 hr).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGQTcQhL08A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGQTcQhL08A

SGT Rock
06-22-2012, 14:53
Sgt: Any plans to sell your book on Amazon.com??
I looked into it when I first got the book published, I think at the start there was a cost that I didn't think I would recoup. Since then I haven't looked into it at all, maybe it is worth a re-look.

Spokes
06-22-2012, 16:06
Wasn't there a thread recently from someone who formatted an e-book for free and distributed it on iTunes?