3- Close up water bead

4- Contrail

5- Atsko Silicone

6- With/Without Silicone

Franco
06-21-2012, 19:39
Hi
I see now...
I did one tent with the McNett equivalent (could be exactly the same with a different label...) but only took note of the waterproofing bit not the beading.
Problem was that I had not done a before test so I don't know if and how much the treatment improved my shelter.
It worked but maybe it already was working.
BTW because folk ask, there are about 3 oz of silicone in those cans. There is also a 1 gallon liquid version if planning to do several.
Franco

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 19:55
Cool,nice photos there Q-tip,thanks for posting "field test", it's threads like these that get me to try products.

10-K
06-21-2012, 21:25
Nice job, thanks for sharing that. I sprayed Rainbow with a bunch of the Atsko stuff last year to prevent misting.

q-tip
06-21-2012, 21:33
Did the silicone treatment effect the misting good or bad???

10-K
06-21-2012, 21:36
I dunno... I haven't been in another thunderboomer in the Rainbow since I sprayed it and also i got a Lightheart Solo cuben just after that so I'm not using the Rainbow.

I posted about it when I did it and the thread was like 5 pages long before it was all over....

WIAPilot
06-22-2012, 00:53
Great photos! I just bought a new Copper Spur. In your opinion, should I use it immediately or is it pretty well protected initially? And if so, how soon should I use it?

q-tip
06-22-2012, 05:21
I put it on my Wild Oasis Tarp that I bought this year and used only a few nights. The water beading was substantially better even on new sil nylon. I would say yes. I put on two heavy coats, one each morning and l let the tent dry for three days. In addition, I put a light coat on the inside to help with condensation. The Wild Oasis has a significant problem with condensation after several days of rain. Let me know how this works for you.