PDA

View Full Version : Best "Trail Etiquette" Tip

WIAPilot
06-21-2012, 11:17
What is the absolute best tip you can pass along as to how to be a positive and productive hiker on the AT and what is considered to be "good trail etiquette?"

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 11:20
why not start with the "do unto others" thing. what other etiquette do you need?

WIAPilot
06-21-2012, 11:36
I think there are a lot of issues like shelters, etc., that others just may not be familiar with. Like me. Which is why I'm asking.

Bati
06-21-2012, 11:40
why not start with the "do unto others" thing. what other etiquette do you need?

agreed. But I would also add that you should always plan to be able to take care of yourself. Never expect others to help. But don't decide not to bring a tent, map or filter, assuming you can just use a shelter or borrow a map from someone, or use their filter if the water source has things floating in it. If it's a true emegency, such as a broken leg, others will be glad to help out if they happen to be around, but don't wear out your welcome.

WingedMonkey
06-21-2012, 12:08
"Good trail etiquette" includes not passing on rumors and gossip as fact.

Monkeywrench
06-21-2012, 12:14
Don't worry about how other people hike their hike, just worry about how you hike your hike.

Remember the stuff you learned in kindergarten: Be nice to other people. Clean up after yourself. Say "please" and "thank you." No hitting. Have a snack and a short nap in the afternoon.

BobTheBuilder
06-21-2012, 12:21
Always try to make room for other people to use the table at the shelter before they have to ask. And smile at people.

Tuckahoe
06-21-2012, 12:26
Remember that you are just a guest in someone elses community and behave.

About_Time
06-21-2012, 12:34
What is the absolute best tip you can pass along as to how to be a positive and productive hiker on the AT and what is considered to be "good trail etiquette?"
I tried to be generous to the folks who support the trail community. At the hostels that are donation based, I gave extra knowing others wouldn't. I bought supplies from the places in the guide even when there may have been cheaper options. When I could arrange a shuttle I did rather than hitchhiking. When a place offered slack packing I usually took advantage of it and stayed the extra day or two.
If I got good service I spread the word to other hikers. If I didn't I usually kept it to myself and assumed it was an exception.
In my mind, the helping other hikers when in need is sort of a given, so I thought I'd share something a little different.

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 12:35

ive heard this is true

RED-DOG
06-21-2012, 12:38
Don't use cell phones around other people ( Shelter's, Campsites, Etc ) to Make them listen to your conversation's, Don't hog space at the shelter's ( Pic-Nic tables ) Don't be an Arrogant up tight person that no one want's to be around, and as always please what ever you do "Hike your own Hike", and thats up to you to figure out, its different for each person, Don't think your better than someone else just because you can do 25+ miles and they can't :dance

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 12:42
Pay it forward

Spokes
06-21-2012, 12:49
Yes on the Golden Rule followed by don't spread all your crap out all over the entire shelter. Especially if it's wet.

10-K
06-21-2012, 12:51
Enough with your musical instrument already.....

Lyle
06-21-2012, 12:58
Some folks enjoy gear talk, others don't.

Personally, I don't mind if someone who is obviously new, and appears to have made some poor choices expresses an interest in my opinion. That's a shortcut to learning, but they can also learn strictly by observation so it isn't required.

Do not force your critiques if not asked, and when critiquing, use some tact. Remember this person chose what they did because they thought it was a good decision, and they paid good money for it. They don't want to hear that it was an idiotic choice.

As others have said, carry your own gear. Sharing is fine among friends, and hiking the AT is conducive to making friends quickly, but it is never right to assume that other hikers do not mind carrying your gear, or want to make special accommodations for you.

Do not take up more than your share of space in the shelter (which isn't much). Also remember that hanging points need to be shared as well. As others have said, make room for later arrivals before they have to ask, it's just a more pleasant way to deal with the situation. It's a good idea to leave as much room as reasonable when you go to bed, saves you from being disturbed by late arrivals, and makes it easier on them as well. If you hike enough, and use shelters, you will be a late arrival at some point and will appreciate that you can quietly settle in without feeling that you are intruding.

When moving about at night, two things to remember. It is not pleasant to have a bright white headlamp shine in your eyes, even if you are asleep (use the red lamp if you have one). Also, the shelters act as a huge drum, magnifying every sound or bump on the floor or walls, try to minimize these. If you are an early riser, it is very considerate to take your gear outside the shelter to pack (weather permitting). I've had folks leave very early, and no one else in the shelter even knew they left, they were that quiet. I'm not that good, but I try.

Offer to get water for others if you can manage to carry the extra, especially if the water source is a long way off. Usually this offer will be either turned down, or a counter offer that someone will join you in a water run. At times, however, this kindness will be greatly appreciated (Peter's Mountain). At the other end, if you are going to dump some water in the morning, offer it to others, may save someone the time of making another run.

If you know your snore excessively, maybe consider tenting, but normal snoring is and should be expected within the shelters and anyone who is especially sensitive to it should also consider tenting.

Darkness = Quiet time

As others have said, the golden rule works great in all cases, but these are a few specifics to get you started.

Heald
06-21-2012, 14:10
Mostly relative to hitch hiking (but not always). However, when hitch-hiking, and getting into a car (pick-up beds excluded) always remember to say "sorry for the smell", or something to that effect.

Pedaling Fool
06-21-2012, 14:34
Always ensure no one is coming up behind you before you fart.

max patch
06-21-2012, 15:41
Don't drink alcohol in a hostel right under the "no alcohol permitted" sign.

Don't spread your wet gear all over every inch of shelter space.

If sleeping in a shelter don't set your alarm clock for 5 am.

Bury your toilet paper.

max patch
06-21-2012, 15:42
Don't think your better than someone else just because you can do 25+ miles and they can't :dance

Agree. Also don't think your better than someone else because you hike 10 miles a day and are "smelling the roses".

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 15:48
never share your bath salts. never bring bath salts

Hitchin' Post
06-21-2012, 15:57
Better tips have already been given, so I'll add that if you're walking downhill, step off the trail for people coming uphill to pass by, assuming there isn't room for both of you. They need their momentum more than you need yours.

flemdawg1
06-21-2012, 16:01
"Don't spread your wet gear all over every inch of shelter space." YES. Your wet socks don't go on the picnic table. If you want to hang laundry, make/use a clothesline.

And pick up your other gear as well. If you aren't using it then, put it away (in your pack).

I'll add 2 more:
Don't cuss around children.
Don't smoke INSIDE the shelter. Yes the wind could carry the smoke right back into the shelter, but make the effort anyway.

johnnybgood
06-21-2012, 16:01
If you're up early and others are still sleeping nearby, be courteous by not being loud.

Don't force your religious or political opinions on others.

Allow room for uphill hikers to pass .

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 16:44
If traveling past a hiker feed,and not interested,just say thank you,but no,and have a great day.:sun

fiddlehead
06-21-2012, 17:42
Bury your toilet paper.

^ Best advice so far on this thread. ^

I don't like crowds too much, especially while hiking so it's either SOBO or another trail for me.
But, to me, proper etiquette on the trail for passing someone is to say: "on your left" or, "passing on your left" (or right of course)
To let them know you are there, are passing and on which side.

I hate being behind some slower paced person who won't let you by for some reason.

I wish you could do this at crowded malls sometimes too.

If that offends you, don't worry, I won't be hiking the AT NOBO anytime soon anyway.

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 17:48
^ Best advice so far on this thread. ^

I don't like crowds too much, especially while hiking so it's either SOBO or another trail for me.
But, to me, proper etiquette on the trail for passing someone is to say: "on your left" or, "passing on your left" (or right of course)

I hate being behind some slower paced person who won't let you by for some reason.

I wish you could do this at crowded malls sometimes too.

If that offends you, don't worry, I won't be hiking the AT NOBO anytime soon anyway.Can't you just run around them and yell,slow poke,see ya at the shelter,I'll start the fire and get the water.

WingedMonkey
06-21-2012, 17:55

I'd much rather hear an announced "passing" from a good distance back, than a "hello" right in my ear as they get on top of me. Gives one time to come out of the"zone", and not jump out of your skin.

Capt Nat
06-21-2012, 18:06
Nice thread!!! I work at being polite. However, I usually don't want to talk to you. If you are trying to talk to someone and you realize that 99% of the conversation is coming from you, shut up and go talk to someone else. A smile and a nod is not "please continue talking nonstop until I collapse into a coma". Try to realize that some people go to the wilderness rather than a mall to get away from people and enjoy introspection.

Pedaling Fool
06-21-2012, 18:10
I'd much rather hear an announced "passing" from a good distance back, than a "hello" right in my ear as they get on top of me. Gives one time to come out of the"zone", and not jump out of your skin.Isn't that another reason to hike with bear bells :D

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 18:15
Nice thread!!! I work at being polite. However, I usually don't want to talk to you. If you are trying to talk to someone and you realize that 99% of the conversation is coming from you, shut up and go talk to someone else. A smile and a nod is not "please continue talking nonstop until I collapse into a coma". Try to realize that some people go to the wilderness rather than a mall to get away from people and enjoy introspection.Yep.having some idea of social ques is a big part of it,but not everyone has that,nothing wrong with being frank,unless frank is sitting right next to you,then you just have to say excuse me please,but I'm trying to meditate,but don't be surprised when your new friend says ok show me how,it's just a fact of life you have to deal with,don't a big deal.most of the time.

Sarcasm the elf
06-21-2012, 19:11
Bury your toilet paper.

Excellent advice, I'd add: make sure to always walk a couple hundred feet off of the trail when looking for a place to have a squat and make sure to select a site away from any place people might want to walk.

And if I catch any of the idiots who like to leave unburied crap ten feet away from the shelters/camp sights, they will be given a new trail name! :banana

I'd much rather hear an announced "passing" from a good distance back, than a "hello" right in my ear as they get on top of me. Gives one time to come out of the"zone", and not jump out of your skin.

+1 This is especially important for all of you jackrabbits, make sure to give fair warning when you catch up to us slowpokes going up a mountain, we're probably too busy cursing the section of trail to notice that you're approaching and it scares the bejesus out of us when we someone's suddenly two feet behind us. ;)

Don't smoke INSIDE the shelter. Yes the wind could carry the smoke right back into the shelter, but make the effort anyway.

Interesting point, I think we should start a thread to discuss it further. :eek:

Llama Legs
06-21-2012, 19:19
biggest fox paws I've ever seen was somebody tenting left their pack in the shelter for the night (pouring rain) and an electronic device alarmed every hour for a minute. Just long enough to never locate. Be sure your watch, phone, clock, whatever is SILENT at night. 10x worse than somebody snoring (and I don't snore...much)

V Eight
06-21-2012, 20:04
+1 This is especially important for all of you jackrabbits, make sure to give fair warning when you catch up to us slowpokes going up a mountain, we're probably too busy cursing the section of trail to notice that you're approaching and it scares the bejesus out of us when we someone's suddenly two feet behind us. ;)

This is my number 1 pet pev. I will always bang my poles together a time or 2 or if i'm out at some local park without poles, I will just clap my hands.

I walk in one of the county parks on the edge of Charlotte all the time. Just about took a trail runners head off with my pole on day. He cane up behind me in on of the few areas in the park that you could almost forget there are a million people around. A simple clap as soon as he saw me could have save both of us from having the **** scared out of us.

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 20:24
Live and let live.
Always tell the party going the other way "its not much further,regardless how far it really is.

Papa D
06-21-2012, 20:35
I thought that this was going to be a stupid thread but it is actually an excellent thread - - lots of stuff bothers me - - cigarette smoking around shelters, not practicing LNT, arrogant know-it-alls (I might be the pot calling the kettle black here :rolleyes:) but the thing that I suppose bothers me the very most is people making noise all night when I'm trying to sleep - - if I'm tenting and the shelter is \ loud as all get out at hiker midnight which is about 9pm, this is so frustrating to me - I don't want to geek out and tell them to shut up, but I get up at 5 am to hike - it's what I do - - I bet they wouldn't like it if I played some Lady Gaga at 5 am! If you want to party a little, you can easily have a party around a candle or three a mile or so away from a shelter - - if I know my crew is in the party mode, we think about this well in advance. The best etiquette of all 99% of the time is BEING QUIET AT NIGHT.

Don H
06-21-2012, 20:36
A lot of great advice on trail etiquette, maybe some of it will end up being applied here too :)

Nutbrown
06-21-2012, 21:12
Keep your nasty dirty boots and socks off the picnic tables.

Sarcasm the elf
06-21-2012, 21:31
Keep your nasty dirty boots and socks off the picnic tables.

I bet those shoes and socks are still cleaner than most of the hiker hands that are preparing the food.:)

Sarcasm the elf
06-21-2012, 21:36
A lot of great advice on trail etiquette, maybe some of it will end up being applied here too :)

Wishful thinking, but this is the internet and this year's crop of "thru hikers in planning" seems to be a particularly lively bunch. I'm amazed that I haven't seen any violations of Godwin's Law (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Godwin%27s+Law+) on the recent threads.

atmilkman
06-21-2012, 21:40
Wishful thinking, but this is the internet and this year's crop of "thru hikers in planning" seems to be a particularly lively bunch. I'm amazed that I haven't seen any violations of Godwin's Law (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Godwin%27s+Law+) on the recent threads.
This thread compares to Hitler and the Nazis.

hikerboy57
06-21-2012, 21:50
Never do this and abdolutely dont do that.and if you have to do thst keep it away from the shelter.

Moose2001
06-21-2012, 22:13
Using the phrase "Hike Your Own Hike" does not give you permission or justification to be a rude, arrogant a**hole.

Hairbear
06-21-2012, 22:30
[QUOTE=WIAPilot;1301725]What is the absolute best tip you can pass along as to how to be a positive and productive hiker on the AT and what is considered to be "good trail etiquette?"
I APLAUDE YOU FOR ASKING THAT QUESTION we all could do a little better no matter how hard we try. i dont like some things but am pretty passive. dont drool on the trail candy when they are with someone keep rude mouth to yourself,no wet dogs in the shelters,no bodily functions while eating,noone wants to listen to anyone tooting their own horn all night be humble.burry all brown trail efforts paper included.dont be a whiner yeah we are all whet it doesnt make us any more comfortable listening to constant reminder of it.no yogi habbits ,be possitive i sence you are by asking this thread.hope all your views are bright feet are dry and dreams are gathered.

Hairbear
06-21-2012, 22:35
Using the phrase "Hike Your Own Hike" does not give you permission or justification to be a rude, arrogant a**hole.
what he said

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 22:44
what he said

Yep,there's hyoh,and there's hyoh,with attiude,when you really want to say "hey yo over here"..."yeah...right here"!Don't be that guy,he's a D--k!

Deadeye
06-21-2012, 22:47
Live and let live.
Always tell the party going the other way "its not much further,regardless how far it really is.

Accckkkk... I HATE when people say that. I know how frickin' far it is, I've been there before or I've read the dang map, and you don't even know where I'm going you @#$%@$#^%$#^%$#^.

And don't even THINK about telling me to slow down and enjoy myself... *** makes you think I'm NOT enjoying myself??????

Otherwise, just smile! I love people, they're so tasty.

Deadeye
06-21-2012, 22:48
Oops, sorry, I didn't know that *** would be edited and replaced with ***. ****.

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 22:50
Accckkkk... I HATE when people say that. I know how frickin' far it is, I've been there before or I've read the dang map, and you don't even know where I'm going you @#$%@$#^%$#^%$#^.

And don't even THINK about telling me to slow down and enjoy myself... *** makes you think I'm NOT enjoying myself??????

Otherwise, just smile! I love people, they're so tasty.Wow,I'm kinda thinkin those words "A little futher"are just words of incouragement,not meant to screw anone over.just my take.

WIAPilot
06-22-2012, 00:49
These are all really great suggestions. Some I would just automatically follow; others I think I have been clueless about.

hikerboy57
06-22-2012, 07:04

Otherwise, just smile! I love people, they're so tasty.

this always cracks me up, whether its the well meaning speed hiker for which just a bit further might be another 10 miles, or vice versa, another 200 ft of altitude. i know its meant with the best intentions, but id rather find out all by myself, thank you very much.:confused:

Deadeye
06-22-2012, 08:04
Wow,I'm kinda thinkin those words "A little futher"are just words of incouragement,not meant to screw anone over.just my take.

You're just not crazy enough... yet. Give it time, grasshopper. It's not like I actually go ballistic, it's just one of those inane comments that aren't worth the breath, sort of like "have a nice day"

Have a nice day.

Creek Dancer
06-22-2012, 11:31
And if the person coming the other way tells you it's only a half mile to the shelter, add another 2 miles to the estimate. Just sayin'...

Spokes
06-22-2012, 13:49

Bury your toilet paper.

...... and jab a stick in the ground to mark that cat hole!

kofritz
06-22-2012, 16:44
move over when the trail is tight or step off the trail. a guy remarked to me the hiker going up hill has the ROW, but i told him the guy going up needs to rest.

10-K
06-22-2012, 16:58
And if the person coming the other way tells you it's only a half mile to the shelter, add another 2 miles to the estimate. Just sayin'...

Never bother asking anyone how far something is... It's a complete and total waste of time and your guess is as good as theirs.

What I do when someone asks me how far something is I tell them how long it has been since I was there...

So instead of saying how far it is I just say, "About 20 minutes" or whatever....

rocketsocks
06-22-2012, 17:07
2 weeks,the money pit.

Spokes
06-22-2012, 17:07
move over when the trail is tight or step off the trail. a guy remarked to me the hiker going up hill has the ROW, but i told him the guy going up needs to rest.

This is the great conundrum. Perhaps we should let Ms. Manners decide? Or at least run it by Lone Wolf. heheheeee

rocketsocks
06-22-2012, 17:09
You're just not crazy enough... yet. Give it time, grasshopper. It's not like I actually go ballistic, it's just one of those inane comments that aren't worth the breath, sort of like "have a nice day"

Have a nice day.Oh,I see now,"slowly I turned,inch by inch",like the "Niagra Falls"skit LOL

hikerboy57
06-22-2012, 17:23
This is the great conundrum. Perhaps we should let Ms. Manners decide? Or at least run it by Lone Wolf. heheheeee

i dont know that its a conundrum so much as a paradox.:confused:

SawnieRobertson
06-22-2012, 21:22
Bring your own watch. Keep any dog you must bring with you close to you ON LEASH. Leave your rude behaviors back at home. You and all who meet you will be happier that way.

Sarcasm the elf
06-22-2012, 21:28

Bring your own watch. Keep any dog you must bring with you close to you ON LEASH. Leave your rude behaviors back at home. You and all who meet you will be happier that way.

If you are going downhill and you see me coming the other way with a harnessed dog in front of me, please yield. It took me a long time to train her to pull me up those hills.. :D

rocketsocks
06-22-2012, 21:37
...... and jab a stick in the ground to mark that cat hole!This idea I like very much,it also marks the ground where there is some easy digging,definitely a time saver....in a pinch,good call Spokes.

Feral Bill
06-22-2012, 23:36
Yes sir, thank you maam, can I help?

Bronk
06-23-2012, 00:17
So many hikers leave a bad impression that I think its a good idea to build goodwill with the locals when you are in trail towns. One way I did this was when I was in a restaurant I would pay the tab for someone and tell the waiter to just tell them a hiker paid it.

Skyline
06-23-2012, 00:31
So many hikers leave a bad impression that I think its a good idea to build goodwill with the locals when you are in trail towns. One way I did this was when I was in a restaurant I would pay the tab for someone and tell the waiter to just tell them a hiker paid it.

That is awesome! A couple of times I've paid for other hikers I knew were short of funds -- but a hiker paying for townfolk I'm ashamed to admit never dawned on me. It's a fantastic idea if you can spare the $$$.

hikehunter
06-23-2012, 01:18
Don't worry about how other people hike their hike, just worry about how you hike your hike.

Remember the stuff you learned in kindergarten: Be nice to other people. Clean up after yourself. Say "please" and "thank you." No hitting. Have a snack and a short nap in the afternoon.

I like your style..........

jima59
06-24-2012, 14:33
You may enjoy bringing your dog on a thruhike but everyone isnt a dog person. Keep it on a leash, if it comes to me I will have my hiking stick out to correct it if you don't. I don't like dogs nosing my food, pissing on my tent and other belongings and I don't want to have to worry about "oh he/she won't bite"' I'm a lifelong dog owner and my two pups sleep with me every night at home but I know them and their personalities.

atraildreamer
06-24-2012, 14:58
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own and you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where he goes!" -Dr. Seuss

WIAPilot...I just love that signature line...words of wisdom from the good doctor!

BFI
06-24-2012, 17:04
One of my peeves on the trial was other hikers washing their pots in the drinking water area. Nother worse than trying to filter out bloated white noodles.

Red Hat
06-24-2012, 19:49
"One of my peeves on the trial was other hikers washing their pots in the drinking water area" and bathing in the drinking water area or letting your dog play in the drinking water area, I might add... go lower down the stream to wash yourself and your stuff. This spring I hiked nearly a mile near a stream, and when I got to the top where I planned on getting my water, there were three hikers bathing.... they could have bathed anywhere downstream!

WIAPilot
06-24-2012, 19:58
"One of my peeves on the trial was other hikers washing their pots in the drinking water area" and bathing in the drinking water area or letting your dog play in the drinking water area, I might add... go lower down the stream to wash yourself and your stuff. This spring I hiked nearly a mile near a stream, and when I got to the top where I planned on getting my water, there were three hikers bathing.... they could have bathed anywhere downstream!

I think this is an excellent suggestion and one that some hikers may not have really thought through. I know I'll follow it...

atmilkman
06-24-2012, 20:54
You just can't fix stupid.

AAhiker
06-25-2012, 11:28
Better tips have already been given, so I'll add that if you're walking downhill, step off the trail for people coming uphill to pass by, assuming there isn't room for both of you. They need their momentum more than you need yours.

I know this is trail ettiquete and I almost always do this but honestly, I think I'd rather be given way on the way down. I might want to rest on the way up, that pretty much never happens going downhill. Just a random thought.

T.S.Kobzol
06-25-2012, 11:53
Do you know what "Fox paws" is?

:-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

sailsET
06-25-2012, 12:06
Mostly relative to hitch hiking (but not always). However, when hitch-hiking, and getting into a car (pick-up beds excluded) always remember to say "sorry for the smell", or something to that effect.
Actually, getting in someone's car may be when you first actually realize how bad that smell is. :eek: Roll the windows down, if you can! Something about hiking makes your olfactory sense go on vacation, too.

max patch
06-25-2012, 12:30

The only place I've seen this "rule" is on WB. As a practical matter, someone always yields regardless of direction. If I'm going uphill I always stop and take advantage of the brief rest.

max patch
06-25-2012, 12:33

No way I'd do this. I behave myself in town and I'm not springing for some strangers meal because some other hiker before me may have been an a-hole. I tip my normal 20% rounded up to the next dollar and think thats more than enough.

SawnieRobertson
06-25-2012, 18:51
The only place I've seen this "rule" is on WB. As a practical matter, someone always yields regardless of direction. If I'm going uphill I always stop and take advantage of the brief rest.

You and me both. And the brief rest that stopping for a moment to exchange names and info about what is ahead in the direction each is going--well, those are good times. And once more to ALL, when you are making the decision about whether to wear a watch, do so. I'm wearing mine. It doesn't weigh much, but it usually requires a bit of rolling up one's sleeve, putting on one's glasses, and focusing in to be able to read it.

RED-DOG
06-25-2012, 20:04
Keep your wet, smelly dog off my gear. Don't ask to use some elses stove or whatever because you was two stupid and sent it home.

atraildreamer
06-26-2012, 14:15
Actually, getting in someone's car may be when you first actually realize how bad that smell is. :eek: Roll the windows down, if you can! Something about hiking makes your olfactory sense go on vacation, too.

Not just the smell, but watch where you dump your stuff. I picked up a hiker in my station wagon who dropped his pack on top of my styrofoam cooler. Didn't bother mentioning that he had broken it (OK...I know it was a cheap cooler! :rolleyes:) when he got out of the car. :mad:

Plodderman
06-26-2012, 14:38
Be polite, respect a persons space and let those in the shelter know if you snore.

max patch
06-26-2012, 14:45
Be polite, respect a persons space and let those in the shelter know if you snore.

I would argue that etiquette would reguire that habitual snorers not sleep in shelters in the first place.

Lyle
06-26-2012, 15:19
I would argue that etiquette would reguire that habitual snorers not sleep in shelters in the first place.

My position is that if you sleep in a shelter, it is a public facility, you should expect some snoring. If that will bother you excessively, then you should be the one making other arrangements.

No if you are an excessive snorer, it would be polite to sleep in a tent, but by no means REQUIRED.

atmilkman
06-26-2012, 15:23
Wow,I'm kinda thinkin those words "A little futher"are just words of incouragement,not meant to screw anone over.just my take.
How about this. Oh man! it's a friggin' long a$$ way. It was miserable. Your gonna hate it. It'll seem like it's taking forever to get there. It has been such a sucky hike. Have a crappy day.

hikerboy57
06-26-2012, 16:36
When iwas finally through mahoosuc notch imet a couple of nobos who asked me about the difficulty i told them it wassnt bad if you just took your time(it wasnt). I didn't mention anything about mahoosuc arm which was much more difficult

Velvet Gooch
06-26-2012, 16:50
Have some courtesy /Have some sympathy, and some taste /Use all your well-learned politesse /Or...

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 17:12
How about this. Oh man! it's a friggin' long a$$ way. It was miserable. Your gonna hate it. It'll seem like it's taking forever to get there. It has been such a sucky hike. Have a crappy day.
Honesty is alway's the best policy,tact is a whole other issue.But then you just described the PA rocks,anyone says different is,shall we say......sugar coating mud pie.:D

flemdawg1
06-27-2012, 16:08

And another thing, if one person has already stopped, friggin' GO ALREADY! It would always iritate me, I'd stop and move over to let someone coming the opposite way go by, then they'd stop and "go ahead". You're not just a guy coming the other way, now you're delaying me by starting some "I'm nicer than you" contest. It takes 3x longer to do a pass-by when both stop.

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 16:25
When on the trail an asked,"So how many miles do you have",answer humbly,even if it wasn't asked humbly.

max patch
06-27-2012, 17:21
When on the trail an asked,"So how many miles do you have",answer humbly,even if it wasn't asked humbly.

I must not look like a LD hiker cuz I've never been asked that question on the trail.

Mags
06-27-2012, 17:40
I must not look like a LD hiker cuz I've never been asked that question on the trail.

Once-in-a-great while I am asked how many miles I've hiked. I always say somewhere between a little and a lot. :)

BFI
06-27-2012, 18:12

So if I'm walking up the hill in a paracrocs who has the right of way, and is it a conundrum for hiking in Crocs or just stupid.

hikerboy57
06-27-2012, 18:14
And another thing, if one person has already stopped, friggin' GO ALREADY! It would always iritate me, I'd stop and move over to let someone coming the opposite way go by, then they'd stop and "go ahead". You're not just a guy coming the other way, now you're delaying me by starting some "I'm nicer than you" contest. It takes 3x longer to do a pass-by when both stop.

i have this same issue at 4way intersections, well sit there for a half hour"you go, no you go"

hikerboy57
06-27-2012, 18:15
So if I'm walking up the hill in a paracrocs who has the right of way, and is it a conundrum for hiking in Crocs or just stupid.

there is no word for hiking in crocs.

coach lou
06-27-2012, 18:34
there is no word for hiking in crocs.

***ouch***

hikerboy57
06-27-2012, 18:40
***ouch***

I have seen the future:vivobarefoot

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 18:57
So if I'm walking up the hill in a paracrocs who has the right of way, and is it a conundrum for hiking in Crocs or just stupid.Do you have the heel straps engaged,or just slipper style,if the later,then yes you most deffiently have the right of way,if straps engaged,then yield to on coming traffic please.

rickb
06-27-2012, 19:03
I might suggest that if you are coming up to a shelter unseen from the backside its good form to let a proable occupant know you are coming with a "hello" or whistle or such as you approach. Not critical, but why not?

Better form than creeping up quietly and poking you head around the corner and anouncing youself with a wide grin and an "I'm Baaaack!" -- I think.

coach lou
06-27-2012, 20:08
I might suggest that if you are coming up to a shelter unseen from the backside its good form to let a proable occupant know you are coming with a "hello" or whistle or such as you approach. Not critical, but why not?

Better form than creeping up quietly and poking you head around the corner and anouncing youself with a wide grin and an "I'm Baaaack!" -- I think.
I'm good with that......you know........jingle"jingle!!!

shelb
06-27-2012, 21:11

Or, just be sure to tip generously!

shelb
06-27-2012, 21:13
One of my peeves on the trial was other hikers washing their pots in the drinking water area. Nother worse than trying to filter out bloated white noodles.

Worse yet, is hikers washing themselves in the water! At least go downstream!

hobby
06-30-2012, 17:49
Add Content

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 17:53
Content added

Wise Old Owl
06-30-2012, 17:55
Place content here.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 19:42
here here!

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 19:50
Place content here.

Apparently Flickr has decided that I'm no longer allowed to link photos directly into other message boards :mad:

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 19:53
Adf discontent and youve got a WB forum.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 19:58
Apparently Flickr has decided that I'm no longer allowed to link photos directly into other message boards :mad:I'd turn em into glue!:dancec'mere you.

RockDoc
06-30-2012, 20:06
That's quite enough rants about "don't" .....

Etiquette is more about _how to behave_ rather than what not to do.

The posts about what we learned in kindergarten were most accurate and useful to remember.

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 20:38
play nice.......

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 07:03
That's quite enough rants about "don't" .....

Etiquette is more about _how to behave_ rather than what not to do.

The posts about what we learned in kindergarten were most accurate and useful to remember.

Umm...you DO realize that quite a bit of "how to behave" involves stuff NOT TO DO, right?

You must be one of those folks who insists the glass must be either half full or half empty, rather than just seeing a glass with something to drink.

Sarcasm the elf
07-01-2012, 10:49
... the glass must be either half full or half empty, rather than just seeing a glass with something to drink.

Now that's one of the best explanations of hiker mentality that I've heard in a while!

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 10:52
Now that's one of the best explanations of hiker mentality that I've heard in a while!here here,up up up up up!

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 15:39
Now that's one of the best explanations of hiker mentality that I've heard in a while!

Why, thank you. I think.

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 21:58
Always ensure no one is coming up behind you before you fart.

wow that is so true - my old man uses that to propel himself up hill - you don't want to be behind him....

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 22:09

Awesome - what a nugget of truth for WB

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 22:21
No way I'd do this. I behave myself in town and I'm not springing for some strangers meal because some other hiker before me may have been an a-hole. I tip my normal 20% rounded up to the next dollar and think thats more than enough.

I don't see an issue with this - no way? pick the guy in the wheel chair or the vet that ordered the cheapest meal on the menu... I just got back from Toledo and saw first hand how bad things are outside the tristate bubble is. There isn't a rush hour, there is massive unemployment. Restaurants close at three downtown, you can't order a good steak unless you go to Outback. This clearly is a blue collar town with a lot of pride and super clean streets. They are about to hire a few more officers but are laying off firefighters. If you can't afford to buy your best friend a beer then skip this post.

As my manager and I left the restaurant in Toledo (Bob Evans) I was walking out and noticed a retiree who was struggling to get up, I got his walker that was out of reach and helped him. What is wrong with random acts of kindness?

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 22:35

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/2.jpg Wow amazing how we think alike!

atmilkman
07-01-2012, 22:43
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/2.jpg Wow amazing how we think alike!
(LOL) I wish I could do all that finagling you do with pics and everything. It's actually an art.

theinfamousj
07-02-2012, 13:11
What is wrong with random acts of kindness?

:: applause :: Trail magic from the trail.

max patch
07-02-2012, 13:21
I don't see an issue with this - no way? pick the guy in the wheel chair or the vet that ordered the cheapest meal on the menu... I just got back from Toledo and saw first hand how bad things are outside the tristate bubble is. There isn't a rush hour, there is massive unemployment. Restaurants close at three downtown, you can't order a good steak unless you go to Outback. This clearly is a blue collar town with a lot of pride and super clean streets. They are about to hire a few more officers but are laying off firefighters. If you can't afford to buy your best friend a beer then skip this post.

As my manager and I left the restaurant in Toledo (Bob Evans) I was walking out and noticed a retiree who was struggling to get up, I got his walker that was out of reach and helped him. What is wrong with random acts of kindness?

The examples you give are a he77 of a long way from buying some random local a meal because some other hiker may have acted like an ahole in the past. Thats a he77 of a stretch even for this website.

SunnyWalker
08-27-2012, 22:45
Most hikers I have ever met are great, polite, courteous, and super to be around. That being said, I would have to agree the ONE thing I ahve experienced, noted, hated, is loose dogs climbing on my pack, putting their wet nose on my bare leg, getting me doggie smellie when I don't want to be doggie smelly, etc., etc. I hate those words, "He won't hurt/bite you!" and etc.

Sarcasm the elf
08-27-2012, 22:56
Most hikers I have ever met are great, polite, courteous, and super to be around. That being said, I would have to agree the ONE thing I ahve experienced, noted, hated, is loose dogs climbing on my pack, putting their wet nose on my bare leg, getting me doggie smellie when I don't want to be doggie smelly, etc., etc. I hate those words, "He won't hurt/bite you!" and etc.

Yep, I let my dog do that the first couple hikes we did. Quickly learned that leashes are absolutely needed when in camp. Just remember, yell at the owner not the dog, it only took one angry thru hiker for me to get the idea.

swjohnsey
08-28-2012, 06:39
Ladies, if you are gonna pee on the side of the trail, let 'er drip dry or take the toilet paper with you. I'm tired of seein' all them white "flowers."

Chaco Taco
08-29-2012, 07:19
Ladies, if you are gonna pee on the side of the trail, let 'er drip dry or take the toilet paper with you. I'm tired of seein' all them white "flowers."

It aint just the ladies...ever had swamp a**? Kids too, dont forget them either

Water Rat
08-29-2012, 10:26

Why direct this at ladies? Shouldn't everyone be respectful?

CyborgAT
11-15-2012, 05:22
Like when people say Virginia is flat? Lol

Mountain Mike
11-15-2012, 05:52
Like when people say Virginia is flat? Lol
It is on a road map! It only a few inches long. Why all the complaints?

cliffordbarnabus
11-15-2012, 15:06
don't smoke. and if you do, don't take two steps out of the shelter. it just billows in. go to the side or behind.

oldbear
11-15-2012, 15:17
give advice ;not lectures

Dogwood
11-15-2012, 15:39
While I got a good laugh at several comments just be nice, learn to be grateful for everything(there are lots of people who want(ed) to hike the AT but for what ever reason can't/don't), don't expect that others owe you a damn thing but still consider sharing what you have with others in need, and NEVER forget that how you behave impacts a whole lot more than just yourself.

Specifically, carry out your trash(PLEASE don't throw your leftover spagetthi O's in the campfire ring!), poop and pee in the privy or away from water sources and shelters(dig a cat hole and bury your waste if no privy exists - away from the trail, shelter and water, NO NO NO laying a rock or a few sticks over your waste and smeared toilet paper near the shelter or campsites is NOT acceptable!), take up the space of ONLY ONE person if using a shelter OR designated campsite, laugh and smile as often

Drybones
11-15-2012, 18:28
Dont shoot anyone's dog.

keepinitsimple
11-15-2012, 21:16
You would be surprised at how many hikers remember everything but their smile. I throw a little hand wave in too

Phikes
11-15-2012, 21:23
If you snore: A. Be up front about it, if your going to keep me up in a shelter at least let me know first. B. or even better, sleep in your tent!

Dogwood
11-15-2012, 23:30
....loose dogs climbing on my pack, putting their wet nose on my bare leg, getting me doggie smellie when I don't want to be doggie smelly, etc., etc. I hate those words, "He won't hurt/bite you!" and etc.

Sounds like my ex describing me!

"doggie smellie" - I love that.

Flachenmann
11-16-2012, 02:42
give more than you take.

RED-DOG
11-16-2012, 14:06
Don't ask another hiker how much money he or she has.

lkn4air
11-17-2012, 14:58
When do you write in Shelter logs. Only when you stay there over night. When you pass by. And what if you are tenting.

Lone Wolf
11-17-2012, 15:11
When do you write in Shelter logs. Only when you stay there over night. When you pass by. And what if you are tenting.

you may write in them any time you feel like it

lkn4air
11-17-2012, 15:31
you may write in them any time you feel like it

Thanks Lone Wolf

OzJacko
11-17-2012, 18:30
When you see someone with a foreign accent, always give them shelter room on a wet day.....:D:D

LDog
11-17-2012, 23:17
Always offer gas money to someone who gives you a ride into town. A dollar a mile is about right. Most times folks will decline, but it builds good will.

Tip your waitress.

Hostels should never be considered free. Pay at least what a "Recommended Donation" is. If work for stay is offered, do your best and make your best worthy of what they offer in return. If you can't afford to pay for a night in a hostel, do your resupply and get back on the trail.

Ask folks in stores, restaurants, etc if it's ok to bring your pack inside. Remember, some of them are worried about theft, and after a few weeks your pack probably reeks as bad as you do.

Do not leave your trash in the fire pit. If you burn your trash, retrieve the unburnt foil wrappers and other bits in the morning and pack them out. Clean up every bit of your trash and pack it out. Don't leave bits of food all over the ground as it only encourages the vermin. Don't throw stuff in the privy cause some volunteer will have to pull it out. Don't leave empty fuel canisters or the gear you no longer want in shelters. It ain't a hiker box, and some volunteer ends up packing out all that crap. Don't deface shelters with graffiti. It's amazing how trashed some shelters get. If you pack it in, pack it out.

Don't chop down live trees for fire wood.

Do sweep out shelters, police the grounds, make repairs to hanging lines ... Leave your campsite better than you found it.

Try very hard not to perpetuate the Nobo vs Sobo stereotypes when you meet on the trail.

lkn4air
11-17-2012, 23:29
Always offer gas money to someone who gives you a ride into town. A dollar a mile is about right. Most times folks will decline, but it builds good will.

Tip your waitress.

Hostels should never be considered free. Pay at least what a "Recommended Donation" is. If work for stay is offered, do your best and make your best worthy of what they offer in return. If you can't afford to pay for a night in a hostel, do your resupply and get back on the trail.

Ask folks in stores, restaurants, etc if it's ok to bring your pack inside. Remember, some of them are worried about theft, and after a few weeks your pack probably reeks as bad as you do.

Do not leave your trash in the fire pit. If you burn your trash, retrieve the unburnt foil wrappers and other bits in the morning and pack them out. Clean up every bit of your trash and pack it out. Don't leave bits of food all over the ground as it only encourages the vermin. Don't throw stuff in the privy cause some volunteer will have to pull it out. Don't leave empty fuel canisters or the gear you no longer want in shelters. It ain't a hiker box, and some volunteer ends up packing out all that crap. Don't deface shelters with graffiti. It's amazing how trashed some shelters get. If you pack it in, pack it out.

Don't chop down live trees for fire wood.

Do sweep out shelters, police the grounds, make repairs to hanging lines ... Leave your campsite better than you found it.

Try very hard not to perpetuate the Nobo vs Sobo stereotypes when you meet on the trail.

Thumbs up.

prain4u
11-19-2012, 02:19
Please remember.....

1) Not everyone wants to hear you play your musical instrument or wants to listen to your "singing".
2) Not everyone wants to listen to your radio, mp3 player etc.
3) Not everyone wants to listen to your cell phone conversation nor do they want to listen to the "tap tap tap" as you send a text messages or make entries in your trail journal
4) Not everyone wants to be around your dog.
5) Not everyone wants to hear you come in loudly late at night or hear you leave loudly in the morning.
6) Not everyone wants to hear you snore.
7) Not everyone wants to talk about gear, pack weight and the number of miles hiked
8) Not everyone wants to hear you whine about people who "violate" the above seven items--nor does everyone believe that you (or I) should be telling others how to behave regarding the above seven items.

In the end--just remember that we all have to share this trail, these shelters, these trail towns and any trail magic. Try not to impose your preferences and your behaviors upon others---and try to be tolerant and forgiving of those who make different choices than you.