PDA

View Full Version : harpers ferry. south or north?

EastCoastClimber
06-21-2012, 18:03
hello everyone,

I am doing a solo 3 nights on the trail this week and I am going to Harpers Ferry by train. I have never been on this part of the AT, so after I check out some of the battlefields and civil war sites in HF, I would like to do 3 nights on the trail. My question is should I go North or head South? I don't know of any loop trails where camping is permitted around there, but I am taking my hammock so I'll be stealth camping. Anyhow, just wandering which way would be best up to about forty miles from HF in either direction. Looking for water sources, views, awesome campsites are a huge plus.

thanks
jared

RED-DOG
06-21-2012, 18:16
north into maryland

EastCoastClimber
06-21-2012, 19:09
thanks reddog
Yes I think that's the way to go. I want to check out the C&O bridge. Anyone know how far Anteitam Battlefield is from the trail?

thanks
jared

Mrs Baggins
06-21-2012, 20:12
Ooooohhh......I'd go nobo. I'd prefer to never ever do either direction.......if you go nobo you have to climb the long and very steep switch back from after the C&O up to Weverton Rocks. But if you go sobo you have to climb a MUCH longer UP til you're at the Louden Heights trail. Between the two, as much as I hate UPs, I'd chose nobo. But then again, the spring at the Garvey shelter (nobo) is 1/2 a mile straight down and then of course it's 1/2 a mile straight up. Whereas at the Lesser shelter it's 1/4 mile down (but not so straight down). Decisions decisions................

shelb
06-21-2012, 23:19
My two sons (then 10 and 12) went NB Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar with me 3 years ago. It is a great hike with great views! We enjoyed it!

partly cloudy
06-26-2012, 09:05
If you go NOBO from HF, sure you got a serious climb. But then, your on a ridge all the way to PenMar. A few up's and down's but they are manageable. Many good shelters in Md. And, I'm sure you can get a shuttle back to HF. Just check on WB. Great views all along the way. ( and a few good restaurants ) Also, very historic.

joec
06-26-2012, 14:05
If you do not want the big up out of town, do as I did a couple of years ago. Take a shuttle to Pen Mar and walk back into town. This is a nice easy hike, with alot of history along the way.

Plodderman
06-26-2012, 14:43
Went south last year through the roller coaster and had a great time. Enjoy the hike. Can not remember the ladies name but she picked me up at Ashby Gap.