PDA

View Full Version : MSR Whisperlite - How long will a fule bottle last?

Pumba
06-22-2012, 08:15
I have an MSR Whisperlite, and I haven't used it enough to gauge how much fuel it consumes. The one time I did use it, it seemed to only use a few ozs of fuel for several uses. Aside from actually hooking it up and burning it until the fuel runs out, how can I plan how much fuel to carry? I have two 20oz bottles and one 11oz bottle (use white gas). I'm not really asking how many meals I can cook with it,because we all know that can vary dramatically, but how LONG will it burn on a bottle of fuel.

Pumba
06-22-2012, 08:18
Nevermind. I suppose a look at the MSR site first would have helped. Sometimes I just don't think things through. :)

Feral Bill
06-22-2012, 10:41
If you are really concerned, test for yourself using a kitchen scale to weigh the bottle before and after a burn of X length. I do not trust manufacturers spec, and besides, it's a chance to use that HS algebra. Maybe a fun experiment for Owlet, too.

Pumba
06-22-2012, 13:52
Not a bad idea. The algebra part might not be remembered very well, but I'm sure we will figure it out. :)

Navy Salad
06-30-2012, 17:20
I have a Whisperlite and found that if I was cooking oatmeal plus for breakfast (and I do the SLOW oat that take 5'), no stove use at lunch, then stove use for maybe 5' at dinner, I burn about 2.0 ounces of white gas per day. If I skip the morning oats and just boil water for coffee, I use 1.5 ozs/day.

Wise Old Owl
06-30-2012, 17:23
stop fule-ing around.....Feral Bill.:rolleyes:

Sacchoromyces
07-29-2012, 21:23
So, certainly somewhere there is a site or two that reveal the BTUH rating for the stove. Almost as certainly there is a site or two that will demonstrate the BTUH value for the fuel. Simple math (no algebra), Bob's-your-uncle!

You're welcome.