PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Conundrum

Twang
06-22-2012, 12:04
Bought a Marmot Atom but second guessing this choice. Biggest dilemma, would like to buy a nice 3 season bag that could be used during NOBO thru-hike as well as during hot summer nights at lower elevations (read Tennessee in July/August). Looking at Marmot Plasma 30 or Western Mountaineering Summerlite. Not sure if it's realistic to find one bag that will satisfy my requirements or if I should just accept that I will need two, possibly keep the Atom and pick up a 15F bag? Anyone have feedback on how the WM Summerlite as compared to the Plasma? Sorry for the free for all, but I'm open to suggestions - posted this along with other questions in general gear, hoping for more direct feedback specific to the bags here. Also, I'm a stomach sleeper and read what Stranger wrote about the hoods being a hassle if you are a stomach sleeper. So I'm open to suggestions, would like to stay under 1lb 5oz if possible....

Maddog
06-22-2012, 12:09
I only used one bag the whole trip! A WM Versalite...the best bag I've ever had! Maddog:)

Twang
06-22-2012, 12:09
Don't know how to edit the post....

Anyone have feedback on how the WM Summerlite compresses as compared to the Plasma?

Hiking Man
06-22-2012, 12:36
I have the WM Summerlite and it's the best bag i have ever owned. It compresses down to around 4" x 5". When the bag is laid out and fluffed up it’s really hard to believe it was compress so small. It is also nice because in hot conductions you can unzip it and use it like a quilt. I have also had it down to 28 degrees with fleece top, bottoms and hate on and was very comfortable, but I am a warm sleeper.

pyroman53
06-22-2012, 17:38
Summerlite is a narrow bag. Real tight...just sayin. I'm skinny so it works for me. Plus, when I toss and turn, I don't roll inside the bag, I take the bag with me, so I like a tight bag. This solves the hood problem you mentioned. I really like how small it packs and how light it is.

Summerlite is good for me only down to about 30 degrees (it's rated at 32) and I need some long johns and a jacket for that. I'm a cold sleeper so take that FWIW. The other thing that is unique (in my experience) is that it has very little down. I forget how much but it's like 6 ounces or something ridiculous. For it to work, the down it has must fluff to its full potential for it to fill the baffles. This works fine normally because it's high quality down. My guess is that it might rapidly lose its insulating effectiveness in the face of even just a little moisture...more so than any other bag I've used (and I have 2 other WM bags). AT weather during the shoulder seasons might be rough on you.

That said, I think the Summerlite is perfect for summer. Check the weather for where and when you're going.

Moose2001
06-22-2012, 18:43
I think the Atom is a 45 degree bag? If so, it won't work on a thru. I'd keep it and buy a good quality 15-20 degree bag (I'm partial to WM bags.) Most hikers on a thru use two bags. Usually switch to the lighter bag somewhere in southern VA. Then get your 20 degree bag back just before going into the White Mts.

Twang
06-23-2012, 22:07
So here are the new options I'm considering...also I've read about warm sleeper / cold sleeper stuff, can someone explain? At home I prefer it to be COLD and prefer to sleep under a very WARM comforter all night, am I a COLD sleeper or WARM sleeper?

Sea to Summit XtII 12 Degree 2lb 11oz (59/54/41)
AND
Sea to Summit McII 36 Degree 1lb 3oz (57/50/35)

Marmot Helium 15 Degree 2lb 2.6oz (62/58/40) OR
Marmot Plasma 15 Degree 1lb 14oz (60/58/43)
AND
Marmot Atom 40 Degree 1lb 5oz (62/58/40)

Western Mountaineering Versalite 10 Degree 2lb (62/53/39)
AND
Western Mountaineering Summerlite 32 Degree 1lb 3oz (59/51/38)

blackbird04217
06-24-2012, 08:07
The warm/cold sleeper stuff is not what temperature your prefer sleeping at, but rather how much heat your body naturally produces.

Consider the temperature is 30* outside one night, a cold sleeper might find themselves comfortable only if they had a bag rated for 20* while a warm sleeper might be comfortable in a bag rated *40. (This is an exaggeration, the bag ratings are not ratings that deem the bag will be comfortable at X*)

Twang
06-24-2012, 23:35
Thanks blackbird, I guess there is no way to know for sure unless you try...I think though that my preferring cold temps would be an indicator that my body must put off a lot of heat, but I also prefer to be under blankets - so I prefer to be warm when in those cold temps. I'm guessing I'm a warm sleeper but again hard to guess!

sublimety
06-27-2012, 15:19
You can always go with a 40 bag and use a thermolite bag liner. you can use the bag liner by itself in warm weather it only weighs 9oz.

Red Hat
06-27-2012, 15:24
I used a WM 20 degree bag for my whole trip. Lots of nights it was so warm I used it more like a cover than a sleeping bag, and some nights I even slept on top of it. But all in all, I was very pleased.

Monkeywrench
06-27-2012, 15:59
I used a Mountain Hardwear 20 degree bag for the beginning and end of my thru, and a Western Mountaineering Summerlite from Pearisburg, Virginia to Glen Cliff, New Hampshire. The Summerlite is a slim bag; that's one of the ways they keep the weight down. It performs great for me. I've owned a lot of bags over the years, and it's my indisputable favorite.

I've never understood the issues some people have with the hood on a mummy bag. Just don't roll inside the bag; roll the bag with you as you change position. That's the whole reason they put insulation all the way around you in a sleeping bag.

RED-DOG
06-27-2012, 16:50
I used the Mountain Hardwear synthetic Micro-fiber 30 degree the entire trail, and was very comfortable with it.

Connie
07-01-2012, 23:01
"warm sleeper" - "cold sleeper" is about metabolism

For example, I am a "warm sleeper".

I sleep at home with a down quilt with the window open in Montana winter. I can't sleep in my 20 F 900-fill half bag if it is 40 F ambient temperature. In the house I can't sleep, at least I get horizontal, on top of the sheets and have a 20" fan on HIGH if it is 70 F. Needless to say, I have an air conditioner, in Montana.

In contrast, a "cold sleeper" is cold in a comfort-rated sleeping bag for warmer temperatures and the actual temperature rating, as well.

How do you know?

Try sleeping in a comfort rated sleeping bag above, at, and below the comfort rating for that sleeping bag. Use a MAX MIN thermometer. Check it, in the morning.