PDA

View Full Version : A rescue from the Ed Garvey shelter today

Mrs Baggins
06-22-2012, 19:03
So I hike with a lady who is a member of a rescue team and they got the call to get someone from the Garvey shelter today. She's a volunteer and she was unable/unavailable to answer the call...and very glad that she was not hiking up the hideous steep switchback to Weverton Rocks and then to the shelter. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the hiker that needed help/rescue. I knew of someone a few years ago that broke her ankle at the Rocks overlook and had to get rescued out. Her hiking companion used her 911 on her SPOT locator and the paramedics were up there in 45 minutes. She was very impressed.

Cookerhiker
06-22-2012, 19:39
Could it have been heat-related? Haven't you had some brutally hot days?

peakbagger
06-22-2012, 21:09
There must be an alternative route up to the Garvey Shelter as long ago I talked to an PATC person about the rational for having a holding tank for the pirivy and he mentioned that prior to the shelter being built, the club had to get legal right of way to allow a truck to be driven up to the site to pump the tank out. If the truck can get up there I expect a four wheeler could.

Mrs Baggins
06-23-2012, 04:43
There must be an alternative route up to the Garvey Shelter as long ago I talked to an PATC person about the rational for having a holding tank for the pirivy and he mentioned that prior to the shelter being built, the club had to get legal right of way to allow a truck to be driven up to the site to pump the tank out. If the truck can get up there I expect a four wheeler could.

I know there is what looks like an old (and unused) fire road that you cross, between Gathland and the Garvey shelter but I didn't think it actually led anywhere anymore. Maybe it does. When you're at the shelter or approaching it from either side there certainly doesn't appear to be any kind of access road at all that is near enough to bring a truck to the shelter. They have a moldering privy and an regular old privy that has been sealed up for some time now. Otherwise it's either the trail from Gathland or the trail from the park and ride off Weverton Road. The rescuers that helped the person I knew came up the switchback from Weverton Road and carried her back down that way. This was maybe 3 years ago?