PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike of AT falling down my bucket list?

Lemni Skate
06-23-2012, 06:49
I have always assumed I'd thru the AT when I retired from teaching at age 58 (not far away now). I had let myself get so out of shape in the last ten years (weight ballooned to almost 300 pounds), and I saw this dream slipping away (along with my health). For inspiration I started reading AT books, and one on the PCT and even the Arctic Trail in Greenland.

I've now dropped my weight to 246 and took my kids up Old Rag and I am proud to announce that I made it without too much pain. I intend to be weighing 170 or so before I'm done.

Here's the thing. I have sectioned most of the AT in Virginia and all of it in Georgia, WV, and MD. I've also hike small parts in NC and PA. I simply find that my desire to thru the AT has fallen and I'd rather do the PCT right now. Somehow the shelter crowds, the towns, the young partiers and what seems to be more and more rules out there doesn't seem to be "escaping" what I want to escape. The thought of hiking the PCT with my son and not seeing other people for days or towns for weeks appeals to me more than the AT right now.

I love the AT. I have volunteered on it and I am a member of ATC and PATC.

Somebody convince me that I can still have a nature experience on the AT or else just validate my decision to do the PATC instead. It sounds stupid, but I feel like I'm cheating on my trail.

Freedom Walker
06-23-2012, 07:01
If you are 49 now as noted at the left of your post, then you still have nine years to go. Can you make that choice now? However hiking is still just walking, and I think if I had to choose between the two, I would consider the scenery more than anything. After all that is what makes both trails special.

Coffee Rules!
06-23-2012, 07:05
Maybe I shouldn't offer an opinion here, but this seems as much a life issue as a trail/hiking issue, so what the heck, I'll do it anyway.

I can't speak to the "...convince me I can still have a nature experience on the AT..." part, but to simplify my thought on your big question, I would say the recurring mantra here of Hike Your Own Hike could also be extrapolated to Hike Your Own Trail. Meaning any trail you want, not your "home" trail.

Just my nickel's worth.

fiddlehead
06-23-2012, 07:34
Although you'll still see hikers most days on the PCT, it is much more scenic, remote, wild, behaved and most all of all, less popular than the AT.
Good idea IMO.

Or, do a SOBO hike on the AT.

Cookerhiker
06-23-2012, 07:37
Congratulations on your weight management thus far!

How about doing both, sort of? You can thruhike the PCT which you currently want to do and also finish the AT via section hiking. It sounds like you've already hiked one quarter of the AT. In the next 9 years, set yourself a goal of getting to 1,000 miles. Since you have the summers off, hike in VT or even NH (make sure you're well-conditioned for NH). Your section hiking doesn't have to be orderly, contiguous stretches. I finished the AT over 28 years hiking random stretches all over the place although I did save Maine for last.

The best way to avoid the party atmosphere and experience nature as you'd like is to hike off-season. So save the NC-TN portion until you've retired and hike it in the Fall. Do you have a Spring break? If so, use it to hike 5-6 days in NJ, NY, CT, MA. You don't want to hike those states in the summer. The whole beauty of section-hiking is to choose the seasons and locales where you want to hike. Chances are of course you'll share the trail in Maine with thruhikers but at that point, the partying has pretty much dissipated.

Keep yourself in good health, continue to work on the weight and conditioning and you'll have lots of time. If you still have your current desire as you near 58, plan the PCT hike with your son and finish the AT afterward.

lemon b
06-23-2012, 07:42
Sounds like normal feelings to me. Keep in mind much changes over a nine year period. Including the knees.
SOBO sounds like the way to go. However, at our age much physical prep is going to be needed. We all know you are not going to be able to use the trail to lose 80 lbs or so on a thru at 58.

10-K
06-23-2012, 07:46
Interesting... I posted my bucket list on Facebook the other day and hiking the Pacific crest Trail was number one.

How about hiking a section of the Pacific crest Trail next and see how you like it?

Lone Wolf
06-23-2012, 08:03
concentrate on the PCT or if you do the AT, go SOBO

Coffee Rules!
06-23-2012, 08:49
How about doing both, sort of? You can thruhike the PCT which you currently want to do and also finish the AT via section hiking.

How about hiking a section of the Pacific crest Trail next and see how you like it?

A pair of excellent ideas.

Del Q
06-23-2012, 09:07
Sounds kind of like me, I was 290lbs, no meal plan - no fitness. That was about 8 years ago. Now I am about 230lbs and in really good shape, have section hiked from Damascus to Franconia Notch (skipped 100 miles in VT last year due to Hurricane Irene - will complete that piece this October)

Why not complete your section hike of the AT, focus on fitness and getting in better & better shape, then thru hike the PCT.

I am not certain if I will ever complete a thru hike, but plan on completing the AT, LT, PCT and CDT

perrymk
06-23-2012, 09:08
I second the congratualtions on the weight loss. I dropped 45 pounds in 2008 and have kept it off. A little off topic but hopefully useful for you. I still watch what I eat every single day. It isn't a struggle, but it is an effort and I suspect it always will be.

Anyway, I'd suggest not deciding now. My plan is to thru southbound in 2020 when I hopefully retire but I recognize plans change and a lot can happen in the next 8 years.

Moose2001
06-23-2012, 09:26
It's always a personal decision hiking and what trail to do. Having hiked both trails, I would tell you each is a different and wonderful experience.

I would also say the concerns you have about "shelter crowds, the towns, the young partiers and what seems to be more and more rules" might be a bit overstated. Do those things exist? Yes. Is it easy to either avoid them or manage them? Yes. Do those things exist on the PCT as well? Yes but to a lesser degree. If you do decide to do the AT, I would agree with others that a southbound would give you more of that remote, escape that you are seeking.

Finally I would say to you, look at the last comment you made in your OP. That is "It sounds stupid, but I feel like I'm cheating on my trail". If you really feel that way, I think that's your answer. If you get yourself in shape, there's no reason why you can't do both. Do the AT first and get that commitment done. Use the AT as a learning experience on how to hike long distances. Then if you still have the desire and commitment, go to the PCT. Many hikers only have one hike in them. They just don't want to commit the time and energy to a second or more hike. If that's you, would you feel good about having bypassed the AT and never getting a chance to finish a long time dream?

In any case, congratulations on taking charge of your life. Enjoy whatever hike you do and keep dreaming.

coach lou
06-23-2012, 09:59
I'm closing in on 'dbl nickles' myself. There are too many things I wish to do to even sit down and write a list. I have a planning outline from when I was a 15 year old boy scout, to hike the AT. I've never been able to hike the whole thing , but I've been on many parts of it. I've hiked in many areas in the intermountain west, fished more blue ribbon trout streams than I can remmember, bicycled all over New England, car camped up and down the east coast. A short walk back in October got me sayin'...."hey, this is fun....but these legs ain't getting any younger" and that wild hair is still tickleing. So i'm going to just keep sectioning until I'm done. I may get that sail boat before that happens, my ankles [my knees are fine] may have me stop sooner, but I do not gripe over not getting to do something. Most of the 50/60 something folks here will agree that as time rolls along stuff happens and you deal with it head on. Now that I'm back Backpacking again, I've been day dreaming about all those beautiful places out west I haven't been to yet, and how this wild hair is getting me back in good shape to go do it. I had an uncle who bike toured into his late 70s, his daughter finally took his bike away. I'm figuring my son will have to do the same thing.

grayfox
06-23-2012, 10:25
I think:

Change is the only constant.

Don't put off doing the things that are more enjoyed when you have a young, strong, healthy body.

The AT can be a more solitary experience when you section it during off-peak times.

The PCT has fewer steep trails than the AT, though it has its own physical challenges.

Keep on keeping on-it's better than the alternative.

Montana AT05
06-23-2012, 10:47
Whatever choice you make, make it 100% with no regrets (easier said then done).

If you've sectioned hike much of the AT, I suggest you thru hike it.

I've only done two decent sized section hikes on the PCT in CA, and I did not find it remote or solitary in the least. I found it very cliquish. I am also not sold on it's great view reputation...but yes, there are good views, and plenty of them. 99% of PCT thru hikers love that trail so it clearly has something going for it! If you chose it, I am sure you'll have the time of your life...but I say the same if you chose the AT.

If you've long dreamt of thru-hiking the AT and if that has played a part in your on-going success at a healthy weight and lifestyle, then I recommend an AT thru. The AT has views as well...not all views need to be of distant sweeping mountains and far off horizons. I personally enjoy the views of the AT quite a bit and have returned to it twice since my thru. And sometimes the AT out right sucks!

A section hike and a thru hike, are, in my opinion, two very different things, with different pros-and cons. I've done both. So don't think that having done parts of the AT means a full thru won't be as rewarding as one on the PCT. I personally see my two sections of the AT as very different experiences than my one thru (and it is the thru that resonates most), and those on this board who have thru hiked the AT more than once, would, I suspect, say that each was very different.

And hey, are you thinking one-and-done? Perish the thought. Hike one, then the other.

Montana AT05
06-23-2012, 10:53
Oh yes, and I forgot, as others stated, hike SOBO or off peak times. I too despise the college age party crowd on the AT, it's really bad from Springer to Damascus. But by the time I hit mid Virginia, it started to thin out...I had many shelters alone, the hikers who were left were good quality folks. Once I passed halfway thru PA the entire hike changed. Shelters were quite often empty of had just a few folks, almost always nice company. The trail wasn't crowded (and umm, maybe that's because it was 98 degrees with 100% humidity and I was an idiot for hiking then) and there was plenty of solitude. By the time I was into the New England States it was a nice surprise to meet man long trail hikers--it was a nice thrownback to the early GA days when we were all new and all overloaded with gear and food. Seeing enthusiasm of the LT hiker reignited my sagging spirits.

If you want real solitude, hike the CDT.

10-K
06-23-2012, 11:23
Also, logistically you can probably hammer away on the AT for years and years since you live in VA.

So.. maybe thru the PCT while you're still "young" and chip away at the AT until you turn 100...

Though I don't buy into all this "I'm too old." stuff though I do acknowledge that we slow down as we age. But slow doesn't mean stop.

Don H
06-23-2012, 12:05
I had sectioned from Rockfish Gap, VA to Dalton, MA before I retired. Last year I went to Springer with the thought of just doing from there to Rockfish and then jumping up to Dalton to finish. Well when I got to Rockfish Gap I just kept walking and ended up on Katahdin four months latter. So keep your options open, you never know.

I was in the middle of the peak season and didn't have problems with crowds after GA. I camped by myself when I wanted solitude, when I wanted company I camped near a shelter.

Of course the PCT would be great but since you're from VA maybe a AT hike would be good for your first long distance hike. I know at least five people I hiked with last year that are doing the PCT this year.

Lyle
06-23-2012, 13:17
I'm kinda second guessing my plan to thru-hike the AT when I retire as well. I've section hiked close to 3/4 so far and I'm thinking there are too many other trails out there that I want to see to spend time re-hiking the AT. I'm not even sure I want to do a 6-month hike any more. I may just stick to shorter, more regional hikes like the Long Trail, Colorado Trail, Arizona Trail, etc. or I may divide the PCT and/or CDT into two or three sections to hike

I've done an 11 month hike and it is a unique undertaking, but it is a LONG time to be away from family, especially as we all are getting older.

That's the great thing about distance hiking - there is no right or wrong way to do it, no matter what some folks will try to convince you of.

Cookerhiker
06-23-2012, 13:29
Since I "only" section hiked the AT, last year's Colorado Trail thruhike was my longest ever - 482 miles at age 63. It did get me thinking about the PCT - not a thruhike but a few long section hikes. If I can hike the CT, why not the PCT in 4-5 chunks? Or put this way: if I can hike 480 miles in CT, surely I can do 600 on the PCT, right?

But then there's so many other trails - so many trails, so little time. Plus I like cycling and am considering a cross-country trip to celebrate 65 next year.

Re the getting old thing, I know we can't deny chronological facts but I'm still in better shape now than in my 20s.

Lyle
06-23-2012, 14:38
Re the getting old thing, I know we can't deny chronological facts but I'm still in better shape now than in my 20s.

Yeah, I'm in great health generally, and hiking always takes care of the extra pounds. What I was referring to was all of the family getting older. I lost a sister very unexpectedly a couple of years ago. When I did my eleven month hike, I found out after it was over that my Mom had cancer and she only lived a couple of more years. That was and is the ONLY regret that I have about that hike, the eleven months I lost with her.

It's being torn between wanting to keep family close and going off to do my own thing for extended periods that causes the conflict for me. But living our lives fully is also important. It's a balance we all must confront.

Driver8
06-23-2012, 14:53
Somebody convince me that I can still have a nature experience on the AT or else just validate my decision to do the PATC instead. It sounds stupid, but I feel like I'm cheating on my trail.

I'm not the right guy to talk you into an A.T. thru. I'd much rather do the PCT or the CDT, hands down. If I were you, I could see doing the New England A.T., as it sounds like it would be all new to you. Maybe start at the Metro North commuter R.R. Appalachian Trail station and work to Katahdin. Most people I hear from say the New England part is the best of the trail, anyhow, and even if you prefer VA, Tenn and N.C., you've done most of that already. My $0.02.

Driver8
06-23-2012, 14:56
Congratulations on your weight management thus far!

+1 Great job, Lemni! I, too, have shed about 50 lbs. Have another 50 to go, maybe a bit more than that - one of those "I'll know I'm there then I get there" situations. Keep up the good work! Whatever works for you, by the way, bravo for you and for it. If you're not using a fitness tracker app or website, I highly recommend My Fitness Pal/myfitnesspal.com. Very helpful.

WIAPilot
06-23-2012, 16:24
It's always a personal decision hiking and what trail to do. Having hiked both trails, I would tell you each is a different and wonderful experience.

I would also say the concerns you have about "shelter crowds, the towns, the young partiers and what seems to be more and more rules" might be a bit overstated. Do those things exist? Yes. Is it easy to either avoid them or manage them? Yes. Do those things exist on the PCT as well? Yes but to a lesser degree. If you do decide to do the AT, I would agree with others that a southbound would give you more of that remote, escape that you are seeking.

Finally I would say to you, look at the last comment you made in your OP. That is "It sounds stupid, but I feel like I'm cheating on my trail". If you really feel that way, I think that's your answer. If you get yourself in shape, there's no reason why you can't do both. Do the AT first and get that commitment done. Use the AT as a learning experience on how to hike long distances. Then if you still have the desire and commitment, go to the PCT. Many hikers only have one hike in them. They just don't want to commit the time and energy to a second or more hike. If that's you, would you feel good about having bypassed the AT and never getting a chance to finish a long time dream?

In any case, congratulations on taking charge of your life. Enjoy whatever hike you do and keep dreaming.

I was also really unprepared to learn about the crowds and shelters and some of the thoughtless actions of other hikers. But have you thought maybe about these alternatives:

1. Hike earlier in the year or later in the year or hike SOBO.

2. Avoid shelters.

3. When possible, tent away from the partiers and thoughtless hikers.

4. Have dinner at a campsite and if you see an atmosphere you don't like, keep hiking before you pitch your tent!

FarmerChef
06-24-2012, 11:20
For what it's worth, thru hiking the AT has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid. At a very young age I knew that I loved to be in the outdoors in touch with nature and "away" from civilization. It's something I still cherish about the trail today. But fast forward to me now in my 30s with four kids, a job, home commitments, etc. and it seemed more and more like something that would have to wait until I retired. Then, like you, I discovered section hiking and with a major life change that freed up my weekends, the rest, as they say, has been history. I don't regret a moment of it and I'm thrilled to be able to share it with my family.

From my own experience, I would echo much of what has already been said. Hike both trails. Do the AT in sections while you hike the PCT. Hike off season. Etc. We hike four weeks a year: spring break, two weeks in the summer, and Thanksgiving in addition to memorial and labor day weekends. Because we head south in the fall/spring and north in the summer for our dog we almost always seem to avoid the thick of the crowds. When we do meet thrus, it is usually as part of a much smaller crowd and we get the opportunity to get to know them and often to share in the magic of the trail a bit together more that way, I believe.

As for the PCT, I've heard wonderful things and it's next on our list after we finish the AT, though probably we'll thru that as as a family or do big chunks of it in sections since it's so far away for us (we're here in VA too). And I still haven't given up hope to get to thru the AT later in life or when the opportunity arises. Each experience is completely different and I look forward to seeing the trail with a fresh perspective when I do finally thru.

Whatever you chose, follow your heart and leave no regrets. From the little you posted originally, it sounds like you would be most satisfied with finishing the AT one way or the other and also hiking the PCT. No need to "cheat" on either :)

1azarus
06-24-2012, 12:44
I think cookerhiker gave you good advice. the best way to stay in shape if you have a hiker mentality is to hike -- and the AT is close enough for you to hike it year round. As in often. Plan to finish it before you retire as a way to get into shape and stay in shape for the PCT. Do both trails. I'm 5.2 miles away from finishing sectioning the AT and owe my good health to that endeavor. Lucky thing for me is that 10K has planned all my future hikes for me -- all I have to do is copy him!