PDA

View Full Version : Inov-8 Trail Runners

max patch
06-23-2012, 13:07
For those of you who wear Inov-8s -- why do you like them over other trail runners?

Zippy Morocco
06-23-2012, 13:20
I use a pair of 315 Roclites. I bought them do to the reviews they got and the price leftlanesports had on them. I find them to be lightweight, airy and well balanced. I think there are other shoes that compare favorably to these but not many. Weight was the big factor for me. I was pleased to find out that performance is excellent as well.

Llama Legs
06-23-2012, 18:13
I wanted to give Inov8 a try but could not get a good fit after trying about a dozen models at several stores in Asheville, NC. I would highly recommend that you go to the stores and not consider online purchase. But I guess that's really true for any footwear...

jcazz
06-23-2012, 19:06
-best traction for wet slippery rocks and roots
-low profile and stable
-light
-fast drying
I own Roclite 268, 295, 315, 319 and Terroc 330's.

Zippy Morocco
06-23-2012, 19:08
I had to buy a half size larger.

10-K
06-23-2012, 19:09
Great shoes but the soles are pretty thin and by the end of a long day my feet hurt. I feel every root and rock when I'm hiking with them on.

Half size larger here too. I bought the 3 pair I have at zombierunner.com - they recommend a half size bigger on their website.

Deacon
06-23-2012, 21:11
Great shoes but the soles are pretty thin and by the end of a long day my feet hurt. I feel every root and rock when I'm hiking with them on.

Half size larger here too. I bought the 3 pair I have at zombierunner.com - they recommend a half size bigger on their website.

It's true the forefoot portion of the sole is a little thin, but I use the Sole brand Ultra inserts (the blue ones). These make a great combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop
06-23-2012, 21:32
Roclite 315 - same as above posts - light, great grip on slick rocks, much better than my Keens, which I like plenty. Got one size larger. Tried on the whole RL line and settled on these.

Del Q
06-23-2012, 22:04
WIDE

They need to release a WIDE version, awesome shoes.........they are almost there.

Miner
06-23-2012, 22:27
Inov-8 sizes at least a half size smaller than other brands such as New Balance. Many of their shoes do not have wide versions (some have a wider toebox area than others), but you can always size up some to compensate. What I wear for a thru-hike is larger than what I wear for dayhiking. On a thru-hike, I prefer a shoe sized 1.5 sizes over what I wear at home (not counting the 1/2 size difference Inov-8 is already) to deal with elongation, spreading, and swelling.

I used Roclites 315's on my PCT thru-hike and found them comfortable, very durable, got great traction, and were lightweight. I changed them out at 500-600 miles (internal structure of a shoe will break down before the outside and sole do), but they still looked like they had plenty of life in them so I mailed them home for use in dayhiking. I'm thinking of using them again or possibly Flyrock 310's on my AT SOBO hike next month. I do add different insoles to them for support (but that's what my feet like, yours may vary).

Maddog
06-24-2012, 09:17
-best traction for wet slippery rocks and roots
-low profile and stable
-light
-fast drying
I own Roclite 268, 295, 315, 319 and Terroc 330's.+1
+1 I hike in Roclite 286 GORE-TEX...I'll hike in these as long as they make them! Maddog:)

STICK
06-24-2012, 20:38
I am on my first pair of 315's and love them, although I have never used any other trail runner to compare them with.

I ordered mine of Zappos as I had no other choice. No place anywhere near me has these. At least with Zappos, they have free there and back shipping...

I ordered a half size larger, although some recommend ordering up to a whole size bigger. I didn't like the sound of ordering a shoe that much bigger than normal, so I only went 1/2 size bigger. When they came in I found the toe box to be quite large, almost to the point of wondering if I should send them back for my normal size. In the end I decided to keep them since the rest of the fit was pretty good and I figured that if my foot swelled, then they would have plenty of room. Also, I didn't want to order my size, then find that I preferred the slightly larger size and then have to return them again...

Fast-forward about 150 miles later and I am still happy with the shoes. I did have to break them in concerning the top/side wall where the forefoot flexes. When they were new, the flex point dipped in and pressed against my foot and while it was noticeable, it was not uncomfy. Now though, this is not an issue.

I love the light-weight of these shoes. Coming from some heavy boots, these shoes make a huge difference! Those heavy boots were heavy and after wearing my trail runners, I realized how much the boots wore me out! It was amazing...

I like the deep lugs on the soles as they really dig in when need be (although gravity and inertia have a way of overcoming this at times... :) ). The soles are soft which makes them more apt to grip wet rocks/roots, but it seams like a lot of people report lugs breaking off somewhat easy due to the softness of the sole... this makes sense to me (too hard and they won't grip, but last forever; to soft they will grip like glue but not last as long) although I have not had any lugs break off of mine just yet. But, there is some definite wear on them, but I think that they will still last quite a while...

I like the mesh uppers which allows more breathability, but that don't mean my foot still won't sweat... I came in this morning from a run with them and the entire top of my sock was drenched, granted they were cotton socks too... But, I feel like the mesh really shines when having to walk through a lot of water and will let the water actually escape the shoe rather than pool up inside them...

Anyway, when these finally wear out, I will be hard pressed to want to try any other trail runners. I know that these work for me, and I know what size I like...