PDA

View Full Version : bloody toenails

Crazy_Al
06-23-2012, 15:56
Me toenails get bloody from being jammed when going downhill (downmountain).
I wear about size 10 shoe. If I wore size 11.5 would that maybe prevent jamming my toenails ?? An old man at the gym told me I should wear longer shoes.
These toenail ruin my section hikes.

WIAPilot
06-23-2012, 16:04
I would think that 1/2-1 size larger would be best. Or possibly, you might want to go with 1/2 larger as well as a wider boot. You do not want any slippage in the heel. And you may need to increase this size while you are on the trail. Also be sure that you keep your toe nails clipped on your hike. At REI, many stores have an incline where you can test their boots.

ChinMusic
06-23-2012, 16:15
Outside of different shoes a little trick can help when you know you got a sustained down coming. Stop and retie your shoes. Tap your heal to make sure your heal is as far back as possible. Tie your shoe just a bit tighter than usual. This will create just a bit more room for your toes.

hikerboy57
06-23-2012, 16:30
as chin music suggests, if you cross the laces across your forefoot, itll help your foot to stay back in the heels, and prevent your toes from sliding forward. and yes go up a half size. your feet swell during the day as well, so when trying on boots, do it in the late afternoon or evening.

Creek Dancer
06-23-2012, 16:34
Another idea is to be sure you are somewhat "sitting" back on your heels as you go downhill. This will take the pressure off your toes. Try loosening the top compression straps on our pack a bit so that your pack pulls you back a little and kind of forces you to put more weight on your heels, rather than your toes. You will find that you bend your knees more when you do this going downhill. Other than that, you might want to experiment with a different type of footwear. Even if wearing a size larger helps with the downhill problem, you might end up with different problems when you are not going downhill.

Pedaling Fool
06-23-2012, 16:44
I don't think it's an issue. Just like sore muscles after working out, it's just a part of hiking. I get them all the time, regardless of the shoes and after walking a while it goes away. Same with running, I get them when running, despite being a regular runner; everytime I change up my running, i.e. go longer distances or do more back-to-back running, one or more of my toenails will turn purple.

I've even had them from cycling, but it takes a lot of cycling, but it happens.

House of Payne
06-23-2012, 18:54
I have found that going bigger on the trail shoe/boot acheives the toe box size but it also increases the width and height of the shoe as well. I ran into the same issues with TOE jam and made my way to Keens. The shoes worked well with the toe box problem but overall the shoe did not perform as I had wanted, very little grip and sole problems early on. The next shoe I tried was the Merrel Camelion 4's, I went one size larger to get the toe box size but now I'm dealing with the lacings being too close at the top of the shoe and the width of the shoes make for slippery times inside the shoe. I wonder if I add a simple foam layer under the superfeet if I could get the feet to fit better. I'm worried if I raise the footbed I will not get my heels into the heel cups tight enough. Anyone??

SassyWindsor
06-23-2012, 21:50
Improper or wrong sized footwear, lacing or both.

Razor
06-24-2012, 16:35
It is best to quite guessing as to your shoe size ---Go to a good store and let them size a correct shoe for your feet. Don't settle for your feet being torn up. If you are not sure about the store ,go to several and walk with there suggestions around the store -Take your time and learn more about your feet.

Matt65
06-24-2012, 17:35
I have dealt with blood under the nail of my Left toe. I have lost the toenail completely once due to this, and developed blood several times. Because no pain or pressure was under it (and I can have a week stomach) I did not pierce the nail. The problem with knowing what to do was understanding why it was happening. Because no nail/toe pain was ever present I thought nail fungus. But never had any flaking, yellow condition. I even considered a dropped impact, or maybe a stubbed toe because my boots felt so comfortable even on 15-20 mi days. However after the blood came a 3rd time I knew that something had to change.

In search of a solution I swapped boots, went up a half size, and wore thinner socks. I always keep my nails trimmed. So far the problem has not returned, even though the last of the stained nail has not yet grown out after several months. I strongly recommend modifying your lacing technique. There are several good videos out there, one I have linked below. For me being able to isolate tension between the upper ankle and foot have kept my heel planted in the heel of the boot.

At a measured 12 B width, my foot is probably unique for someone 6+ ft. and 200+#s. Experiment to solve this problem, don't ignore it. Should an infection set up under the nail things can get bad quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

kayak karl
06-24-2012, 17:53
i went and saw a Podiatrist and haven't had a problem since. :)

RWK
06-25-2012, 09:16
Trying lacing your shoes using lock lacing method. Allows you to tighten up the laces so you don't get slippage while not being too tight down the forefoot. Google Ian's Shoelace Site for lacing techniques. Really helped me eliminate a lot of problems.

Ktaadn
06-25-2012, 11:16
Me toenails get bloody from being jammed when going downhill (downmountain).
I wear about size 10 shoe. If I wore size 11.5 would that maybe prevent jamming my toenails ?? An old man at the gym told me I should wear longer shoes.
These toenail ruin my section hikes.

I think a good insole would help. Your toes may be hitting the front of your shoes because your arches are flattening and therefore lengthening your foot. I have used the green Superfeet in my Merrell Chameleons and they have worked well for me. You may have to go a half size bigger to get the right fit with the insoles, but 1.5 sizes sounds pretty excessive.

sailsET
06-25-2012, 11:57
There are several good videos out there, one I have linked below. For me being able to isolate tension between the upper ankle and foot have kept my heel planted in the heel of the boot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Excellent video. I was showed this technique at REI. The one time I was on a hurry to start a hike, and didn't do this, I got several blisters, from my heels sliding forward in my shoes on the downhills. Definitely keep toenails trimmed short.

SassyWindsor
06-25-2012, 17:22
http://www.backpacker.com/april_2003_gear_boot_lacing_tips/gear/5245

kayak karl
06-25-2012, 17:48
http://www.backpacker.com/april_2003_gear_boot_lacing_tips/gear/5245
great info. thanks.

Crazy_Al
07-01-2012, 10:16
Where can you get expert advice about hiking shoes ???

jerseydave
07-04-2012, 06:02
Short toenails

Miner
07-05-2012, 00:01
If you aren't thru-hiking, then just sizing up a 1/2 size should be enough to avoid bruised or bloody toenails. The only time I ever got a bruised toenail was the trip (6 hours from home) where I forgot to bring my larger sized shoes that I use for backpacking and had to wear my normal sized shoes. If you are doing multi-week sections or thru-hiking, then I recommend sizing up more to allow for elongation, spreading, and swelling.

House of Payne
07-09-2012, 08:23
I'm just adding to the continuing post on shoe fit, black nails etc. Just came back from a weekend in NH backpacking in and around Zealand and the Bonds. This was my camelion 4's first time working on 'official business'. The breakins went well and I'm happy to report no major issues with these shoes for 2 days if hiking. Bagged 5 4k peaks, 22 miles and about 2400' in elevation gain/loss. Happy feet equals happy hiker.