PDA

View Full Version : One Week to my First Section Hike

P-Train
06-23-2012, 21:41
I wanted to say thanks for all the info that I've learned here to make this a more pleasurable reality.
I've been on the AT before a little and lots trails that are all around it in TN. but...

This will be my first 75 mile, 6 day stretch in GSMNP, TN. Dropped off at Fontana Dam and picked up at I-40 in NC.

Kelty pack ways 30lbs w/ water. I'm okay with that. In this 90+ heat I've ditched my sleeping bag and kept a mat and blanket.

I'm ready to do it!

SassyWindsor
06-23-2012, 21:46
Make sure to have a contingency plan if things go awry.

10-K
06-23-2012, 21:51
Hope you have a great hike! It's going to be warm during the day but you should have cool evenings and nights.

Del Q
06-23-2012, 22:01
Go out and Crush It!

Cookerhiker
06-23-2012, 22:37
Have a great time! I'd guess that rhododendron will be blooming at some level.

Sarcasm the elf
06-23-2012, 22:38
Make sure to have a contingency plan if things go awry.

Go out and Crush It!

Both of these comments are totally true. I haven't hiked the smokies yet, but generally speaking, 75 miles is ambitious but doable for a first time hiker of average ability. Have fun and remember that it's common for things to not go according to plan, especially if it's your first hike, the trick is to figure out your limits, adjust accordingly and keep having fun.

Also, the amount of water that is required varies wildly from person to person. Carry more water than you think you need and continue to do so until you get a really good feel for how much you drink while backpacking (especially in this heat) and you get comfortable with estimating time/distance to water sources.

Oh, yeah and HAVE FUN!!! If you bring a camera, upload some photos and give us a trip report! :sun