PDA

View Full Version : Power Solutions/Solar Chargers/Etc.

neoneals
06-24-2012, 14:49
Hi All,

First time posting here and I have lots of questions. This one seems like as good as any I can think of.

What do hikers do out on the trail for keeping their batteries charged (not a euphemism). I'm an audiophile, photographer, and would like to keep some time of electronic trail journal. I was wondering what people use on the trail to keep their various electronics charged between conserving energy, solar chargers, etc. Please let me know.

Thanks.

PS. I am in the process of planning a 2013 NOBO Thru.

Spokes
06-24-2012, 15:08
Welcome to WB.

When thru-hiking you have to pick and choose what's most important since weight is an issue. Years ago I carried a cheap mp3 player that used one AAA battery and just bought them as I went. Same thing went for my point and shoot camera. Nowadays those devices that use "regular" batteries are becoming fewer and fewer. For my iPhone, I just turn it off and use it only when needed.

Most towns are only 3-4 days away on the AT so charging opportunities can be had upon reaching them. Others have carried solar chargers, but I never have. Pretty much useless weight to me.

Planning a 2013 thru? Check out this previous thread. It contains some great links that may be helpful for you.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85528-Sorta-lost&p=1301328&highlight=#post1301328

Cheers!

ChinMusic
06-24-2012, 15:21
Solar is a waste of your time on the AT.

I bring a http://www.newtrent.com/ipad-battery-imp100p.html for my iPhone. I get 5 extra charges between town stops, which is actually more than I need. I end up charging other folks phones while in the field with the extra juice. I don't have to worry about "feathering" the battery and use the phone as much as I want, music, net, writing, gps, map data, photos, etc. That won't help with your camera but most camera batteries last a LONG time.

Spokes
06-24-2012, 15:27
Hey ChinMusic, thats a great option! What's the recharge time on that back-up battery?

WIAPilot
06-24-2012, 15:29
Also, be sure and take advantage of all the McDonalds and other restaurants with power outlets where you can recharge your phones and iPads.

kayak karl
06-24-2012, 15:35
or the ones behind soda machines :)

P1nkPanther
06-24-2012, 15:39

I bring a http://www.newtrent.com/ipad-battery-imp100p.html for my iPhone. I get 5 extra charges between town stops, which is actually more than I need. I end up charging other folks phones while in the field with the extra juice. I don't have to worry about "feathering" the battery and use the phone as much as I want, music, net, writing, gps, map data, photos, etc. That won't help with your camera but most camera batteries last a LONG time.

I LOVE my NewTrent! I also end up charging other people's stuff. And I use my iPhone as every electronic need - phone, camera, notes, trail journaling via Wordpress, email, iPod, etc.

I'm not sure how long it takes to charge because I rarely have it get real low on juice. Maybe 6 hours if it was completely out? And you can piggy-back charging - it will charge items while being charged.

ChinMusic
06-24-2012, 15:54
Hey ChinMusic, thats a great option! What's the recharge time on that back-up battery?

From 0 to 100 can take as long as 11 hours. While that seems like a long time you will not often take it to zero. And even then a stay at a hostel/motel will do the trick. Topping it off at lunch stops/etc adds up.

neoneals
06-24-2012, 17:24
Fantastic! I'm definitely gonna consider a newtrent now.

Can it charge anything with a USB charger?

Have you guys had any experience with their customer service? Along with weight and reviews, this is always a huge factor before I make purchases.

ChinMusic
06-24-2012, 17:52
Fantastic! I'm definitely gonna consider a newtrent now.

Can it charge anything with a USB charger?

Have you guys had any experience with their customer service? Along with weight and reviews, this is always a huge factor before I make purchases.

I had great contacts with NewTrent via email and phone prior to my purchase.

The device has a 1A and a 2A output. You can charge two things at the same time. Beyond that I do not know what other USB devices it would charge.

If weight is a primary concern they do make smaller devices compared to the one I got. I chose the larger one for purely personal reasons.

10-K
06-24-2012, 18:27

It really works? I mean, you've used it in the field and know that it'll give 5 charges?

How long to top it off in town?

10-K
06-24-2012, 18:27
Nevermind... guess I should read the whole thread... :)

ChinMusic
06-24-2012, 18:46
It really works? I mean, you've used it in the field and know that it'll give 5 charges?

How long to top it off in town?

I never ran it down that far "in the field". I did use it to charge 5 times "in the house".....heheh

Like I said before, 11 hours from 0-100 to charge the NewTrent. In the field I never ran in down to even half. At the end of the day, if I have a signal, I will listen to internet radio, surf the net, with no regard for the battery on the phone. Once I am about to sleep I hook up the iPhone. It is 100% by morning. I'm not sure how long it really took to recharge the phone.

ChinMusic
06-24-2012, 18:47
Nevermind... guess I should read the whole thread... :)

Me too......lol

10-K
06-24-2012, 19:03
Great find... I just ordered its little brother, the iMirror. Claims 3.5 iphone charges - 276 reviews on Amazon and a 4.5 star rating.

$39.95 definitely worth a shot.

I got an iPhone a few months ago but I kept my Boulder because the Boulder will stay on for over a week with the extended battery. I was actually planning on taking the Boulder *and* the iphone on my Long Trail hike - now I can leave the Boulder at home and save a few oz... The iMirror weighs 5 oz...

Another thing I like about this particular model is that it recharges via USB too so I can use the iphone AC adapter to charge the unit and not have to carry another wall charger.

Pumba
06-24-2012, 19:48
I just received one of these yesterday: http://www.mophie.com/mophie-juice-pack-plus-iPhone-4-4S-battery-case-p/1160_jpp-ip4-blk.htm

I haven't had it long enough to really rate it, but so far I'm happy with it. The only issue I foresee id possibly not being able to use a screen protector while it's on my phone, as my old screen protector came off as I installed the Juice Pack.

Corporal_Dusty
06-25-2012, 00:40
+1 on the NewTrent.
I too have a NewTrent charger and love it! So far no problems with it. Charges all my devices on the trail or anytime I'm away from a power source for an extended time frame... Smartphone, ipod, ipad, kindle etc...I know a few others with them too and they love theirs as well. I found the recommendation on WhiteBlaze in a thread a few months back. Thanks to whoever that was. Good call. ;-)

Pumba
06-25-2012, 15:49
So I just broke down and bought myslef a NewTrent iCurve. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep my Morphie still or not. I like the Morphie because it's always there and part of the phone, and I don't have to worry about carrying something extra. I like the idea of the NewTrent products because you can get several more charges from them. I may just use them in tandem.

LadyJacket
06-27-2012, 19:52
In cold weather, be sure to keep your electronics close on your body for warmth. Batteries are drained quicker in the cold. Even sleeping with my camera and iphone in my bag seemed to help maintain a charge better than just leaving them out in my pack. Lots of people learn the hard way about batteries and the cold, especially with things like steripens. Enjoy your hike!

booney_1
06-29-2012, 10:40
This technology looks interesting for people who need their stuff charged up...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1203647021/the-powerpot

And this is another one, for wood burners...
http://biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

They are kind of pricey...maybe you could "charge" for a charge...one Snickers bar or pop tart /per charge??? Or maybe charge $$$ and pay for your thru!!!

10-K
06-29-2012, 11:06
Speaking of which, I got my Newtrent thingamabobber andit works great. Very nice - I'm testing it now to make sure it really does charge my phone 3.5x.

If so, I'm leaving my camera at home.