PDA

View Full Version : One More Day...

Slo-go'en
06-24-2012, 15:20
One more day and I start my grand adventure on the CDT. I am both excited and a bit apprehensive. I hope I'm ready for this! Ready or not, Tuesday I get on the Amtrak train and next stop, E. Glacier Park, MT.

Had to run out today and buy an ice axe to add to my already overloaded pack. Apparently, the passes in Glacier are still snow bound and having an ice axe is highly recommended. Just one of those things that you hope you don't need to use, but if you do and don't have one - you could die.

And of course, since I had to drive all the way to EMS to get the axe and they are having a store wide 15% off sale, I figured what the heck, might as well buy a new Gortex jacket shell. And then since I've been getting nervous about maybe Montana banning alcohol stoves later this summer, bought a Snow Peak "Lite Max" burner and canister of gas. And a couple pairs of new socks to round it all out.

If I can just lift my pack onto my back with 8 days of food loaded for the second leg of the trip, I'll be happy :)

Mountain Mike
06-24-2012, 15:27
Good luck & have fun. Last time I bought an ice axe at EMS in North Conway they had to go search for one in the basement. Already had put them away for the summer.

Llama Legs
06-24-2012, 15:28
have yourself a great hike and best of luck!

Spokes
06-24-2012, 15:29
All the best Slo-go-'en. Are you keeping any sort of on line journal?

Slo-go'en
06-24-2012, 15:41
All the best Slo-go-'en. Are you keeping any sort of on line journal?

Yes, I have one going on trailjournals in the CDT section at the moment. Not sure how often it will be updated - likely not too often.

I hope we find a safe snow field to practice self arrest on before we get to the serious traverses. It's been a while since I've practiced and not sure how experianced some of the woman in my group are at it either.

10-K
06-24-2012, 16:11
Be careful and have a safe trip.

p.s. Careful with your glasses... :)

jeffmeh
06-24-2012, 16:14
Have an outstanding (and safe) adventure.

Maddog
06-24-2012, 17:37
Good luck...have fun...be safe! Happy Trails! Maddog:)

Cookerhiker
06-24-2012, 18:26
Have a great hike!