PDA

View Full Version : new to AT-day or two hike in Georga-need recommendations

janw
06-24-2012, 19:39
I will be dropping off my son at camp in Cleveland, GA on a Sunday morning in July. I'll have Sunday and Monday to hike and would so appreciate any recommendations of a nearby area to hike. From the map it appears that i will be closest to Whitley Gap. I will drive and need to park my car. Unfortunately I'll need to head back to Jax Monday afternoon for other kiddos and work. That leaves me with time to hike Sunday afternoon and Monday morning. Any thoughts? I have no concerns re: challenging hikes, but I'm not familiar with staying overnight on the trail. I could give it a try if you all highly recommend it, however. I'm a 42 year old female and will be hiking on my own, but from what I've read it seems pretty safe. Thanks much!

Red Hat
06-24-2012, 20:02
From Cleveland there are two choices... 1. take 129 North and you'll drive right to Mountain Crossings/ Neel Gap. About a quarter mile later is the Byron Reese parking area on your left. Park there and hike up to Blood Mountain. It is about a 2 hr hike. You can spend the evening there and hike back down the next day. I'd walk all the way down to Mountain Crossings and check it out, then back to the car carefully along the highway.
2. Take 129 about a mile North and turn on Alt 75. Turn left when you come to 348 scenic highway. Drive until you see the AT sign on your right and park at HogPen Gap. You have a choice here to either go right 4 miles and camp at Low Gap or left one mile and camp at Whitley. Either one is fine, of course Whitley is easier.
Anyway, enjoy!

Red Hat
06-24-2012, 20:03
If you don't want to camp at one of the shelters (Blood, Low Gap, or Whitley) you could always just day hike and stay at the Blood Mtn cabins or the hostel at Mtn Crossings. (hostel is pretty rustic!)

janw
06-24-2012, 20:10
Thanks! I'm really excited. I've written down your recs:)

janw
06-24-2012, 20:16
So would you recommend one over the others (shelter vs. hostel vs. cabin)?

Red Hat
06-24-2012, 20:38
well, you get what you pay for... shelters free, hostel $16, cabin $60
it depends upon you. It is hot and neither shelters or hostel have air, while I'm pretty sure the cabins do. I'd probably stay at Blood Mtn Cabins and hike up Blood, myself.

star
06-24-2012, 22:36
I live in Helen and hike the AT nearby all the time. I was up on Trey Gap just 2 days ago. I would suggest you drive from Cleveland to Helen and go north 8 miles where the AT crosses Ga Hwy 17/75 at Unicoi Gap. If you go west/south, you will climb for a mile and then about a mile further find Blue Mtn Shelter. There are good campsites just past it with good water. If you got east/north you will climb maybe 1 mile and be at Rocky Mtn which has a great campsite and overlook. Be sure to top off your water halfway up because there is no water at the summit. Unicoi Gap is safe to leave a car and I saw no one on the trail at all Fri/Sat last week. Personally I'd rather tent than shelter camp. Mice bug me.
The Blood Mtn Cabins idea is also a good one. Safe, comfy sleeping and the rates are reasonable. I think they even have a trail that connects to the AT so you can hike right out your front door.
We are experiencing thunderstorms due to the summer heat that tend to hit the ridges mid to late afternoon. If you plan on camping, bring your raingear.
Shoot me an message if I can help you plan further.

janw
06-25-2012, 07:38
Thanks so much! From the responses I've read I think I'll go with the cabins...sounds like a good, comfortable choice! How about shoes/clothing for this time of year? Pants b/c of mosquitoes or shorts b/c of heat? Sneakers ok or do I need hiking boots? Do you fill water in streams?

wornoutboots
06-25-2012, 08:35
Helen to Hiawassee or vise versa is a good overnight stretch & only @ 18miles if you decide you want to camp. For water, go to your local outfitter & they can show you several water filtration systems, ask thorough questions & pick out the best one for your needs, this is a VITAL part of any trip in the woods, whether it be a few hours or several days. Enjoy & BTW Helen is a Alpine Great Village, all dressed up in a Swiss decor :)

Toli
06-25-2012, 09:13
I will be dropping off my son at camp in Cleveland, GA on a Sunday morning in July. I'll have Sunday and Monday to hike and would so appreciate any recommendations of a nearby area to hike. From the map it appears that i will be closest to Whitley Gap. I will drive and need to park my car. Unfortunately I'll need to head back to Jax Monday afternoon for other kiddos and work. That leaves me with time to hike Sunday afternoon and Monday morning. Any thoughts? I have no concerns re: challenging hikes, but I'm not familiar with staying overnight on the trail. I could give it a try if you all highly recommend it, however. I'm a 42 year old female and will be hiking on my own, but from what I've read it seems pretty safe. Thanks much!

Why don't you grab a cabin in Vogel SP and hike the Coosa Back Country Trail??? I know its not the AT but the shelters and trail as of late are seriously GEHTTO... I live between Woody and Neel(yeah Fatman, I still say Neel...lol) and I would NEVER stay at a shelter... Its an easy overniter I do all the time with my hound "SideKick"... REALLY cool campsites too... Water every where... JMHO...

max patch
06-25-2012, 10:03
Sounds like you are doing a couple of day hikes so just plan on carrying your water. Two quarts should be plenty; take a 3rd if you plan on hiking big miles. Shorts and sneakers are fine; just don't wear cotton socks. (If cotton is all you have I'd take extras to change out when they get sweaty.)

janw
06-25-2012, 16:08
Thanks so much for all the helpful advice (down to the socks)! I'm going to pull out my map and pick one of the great recommendations. I'll definitely be back to try them all out...hopefully with a bit more time on my hands!

kofritz
06-25-2012, 16:38
and maybe bug spray

star
06-25-2012, 22:05
Definitely shorts because it's hot up here now. There aren't many mosquitos but the TICKS are plentiful. Just check yourself after hiking and you'll be fine. Carry your water. You would need to treat water you took out of streams here. Blood Mtn Cabins or a Vogel State Park Cabin is a good idea. I agree with the post concerning shelters. They are pretty trashed right now.

Malto
06-25-2012, 22:27
I have hiked or ran all the sections of ga multiple times and by far my favorite section is the area near three forks. If it were me I would get a shuttle from either woody gap or neels gap to springer and hike back depending on your mileage criteria. definitely do the short trip to long creek falls if you do this section.

janw
06-26-2012, 15:13
Re: shuttle...I got on Hiker Hostel's website, and it says that shuttle service is for guests only. Is there another shuttle service? Do I schedule this in advance? Thanks again!!

max patch
06-26-2012, 15:22
Generoll on this site. Survivor Dave. Employees at Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap. But if you are going to do a couple day hikes I'd save the $ and just do out and back or a loop. And Blood Mountain can be done as a loop.

janw
06-26-2012, 19:39
As long as I'm not choosing an average view over an amazing view, I'd much prefer that idea (i.e., hike from Blood Mountain cabins) because of simplicity. Are the views comparable (e.g., Blood Mountain views, long creek falls, three forks)?

wornoutboots
06-26-2012, 19:50
The Firetowers have amazing views on this section as well

max patch
06-26-2012, 22:07
Neels Gap to Blood is the most hiked section of the trail in GA. Good views from top of the rocks next to the shelter. Long Creek Falls in July isn't going to be very impressive; probably just a trickle down one side of the rocks. I'd never consider 3 forks as a great view. Nice place to camp. Best "views" would be to follow the creek on the FS road in a car and get a great camping spot on the creek. Now thats scenic.

Hoop
06-26-2012, 22:33
Toli's post (#10) is worth considering. It's a fun hike - you can overnight if you go slow, or it can make for a pretty full one-day hike. Also, you can reach Blood Mountain from the Coosa Backcountry Trail.

janw
06-27-2012, 06:47
Got it...I believe I am settled in my thoughts. Thanks!