PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Record...

WIAPilot
06-25-2012, 04:11
For most miles hiked on the AT in one day? What were the circumstances? Also, where were you at?

fiddlehead
06-25-2012, 04:45
Since it's after 4 AM in the east and I believe AZ doesn't do daylight savings time, let me guess: You waken from a dream in which everyone has done more miles than you ever thought possible. right?
So, you rush to the computer to find out other's limitations. :)

Monkeywrench
06-25-2012, 06:14
My longest day was 25.5 miles somewhere in NJ. A modest record, but it's mine!

tdoczi
06-25-2012, 06:54
ive done in the range of 23-25 miles 3 times. once to get to duncannon for the night, once because southern MD is just too easy, once because the 2 northern most shelters in shenandoah are 23 and 9 miles from the end of the park and when i got to the last shelter i decided not to stop for the night as it was too early.

moytoy
06-25-2012, 07:23
On the AT? From Clingsmans Dome to Spence Field Shelter. Nothing at all special about that except that it was in 1960. I remember it to have been about 16 miles. It was special for us at the time!

1azarus
06-25-2012, 08:02
that would be 29 miles northbound into waynesboro a couple of months ago -- only of merit cause i'm so old ;<)... for the last several miles I was looking for a place to camp, hiking with a NOBO named Eagle eye, and his german shephard, Jack. Didn't find a spot , chatted a lot, and ended up in waynesboro!

rocketsocks
06-25-2012, 08:15
A whopping 10 miles,best guess,maybe 9,that's in the woods,only started keeping track of miles a few years ago,and since then,my personal best is 13 miles (and 180 some odd steps up and down "Old Barney" Light house on barneget bay,NJ)of road walking,took about 6 hours

bigcranky
06-25-2012, 09:11
My personal best is the ~20 miles from Tricorner Knob shelter in the Smokies to Standing Bear Farm. As my usual day is more like 13 miles, and this section has some monster downhills to wreck my knees, I was pretty wiped by the time I got there.

Lyle
06-25-2012, 09:33
Back when I was in top hiker shape (that was in 1981, mind you, when pack weight was normally in the 40-50 lb range and 2-5 lb boots were standard) I did three consecutive 25+ mile days through SNP. I was with a large group, wanted to attend a birthday party off trail from Rockfish Gap and also join some folks for some canoeing from Thornton Gap three days later. My mileages were 25, 27 and 26. Nothing SPECTACULAR since it was through SNP, but three consecutive days did add a bit of a challenge.

Llama Legs
06-25-2012, 09:38
A guy known as "Wild Man" blew through camp one evening doing Nantahala to Fontana in one day (29.4 miles). And I know he made it from talking to other folks. He was packing can goods and all sorts of clothes in a big Gregory pack and cooking on fire. He carried his hammock and sleeping bag in a stuff sack in his arms. The story is that he had started hiking north from somewhere in Florida. Hike your own hike!

RED-DOG
06-25-2012, 10:23
My longest day i went from Standing Bear Hostel to Hot Springs in one day which is about 35 miles or maybe in 2006 i tried the 4 state challenge and completed about 40 miles so i would say 35-40 miles is my longest day.

Wuff
06-25-2012, 10:59
31 miles, slack packing. Not an enjoyable experience. Wouldn't do it again (slacking and/or 30+)

Lone Wolf
06-25-2012, 11:00
40 miles. full pack. watauga lake to damascus. 11 hrs 50 mins. ran the last 10 miles

Tenderheart
06-25-2012, 11:39
I did two 30.5 mile days during my thru. I think one of them was in PA and I can't remember the other's location. Full pack of course.

nitewalker
06-25-2012, 12:26
aproximatly 32 miles from tom floyd wayside to skyland. i had a great time during the hours i hiked but after i showerd and went to the restaurant to eat my body crashed really hard. i felt horrible left the building and tossed my cookies. my cookies were the crab legs i had just eaten.not a great feeling.. i have done 20 to 25 miles several times on long dayhikes into the whites. 20 mi and above makes for a long day. i like to stay in the 12 to 15 mile range when hiking multiple days.....

max patch
06-25-2012, 12:40
30 miles with a 45 pound pack. Hopefully on next years thru I can reverse that and hike 45 miles with a 30 pound pack. :)

Once in VA and once in PA.

kayak karl
06-25-2012, 13:58
Maine, Birches - Rainbow Lake Camp 21.1 mi.

Spools
06-25-2012, 14:01
27.1 miles into damascus from iron mtn shelter. all 5 of us in the shelter had gone to bed very early due to weather. Then around 2:00 am we woke up and said let's go.

CrumbSnatcher
06-25-2012, 16:07
7 zero days in a row, Hot Springs NC.
the AC was working very well!
hardest miles n-----ever :-)

Heyoka
06-25-2012, 16:43
I really need all these great numbers to evaluate myself properly in terms of the herd. Thank you.

SassyWindsor
06-25-2012, 17:07
The longest one day stretch was somewhere in PA probably 30 miles. Another was from Deep Gap to Rock Gap NC, around 20 or so miles, had scheduled to meet some friends car camped nearby.

Double Wide
06-25-2012, 17:16
21 miles, in Brown County, Indiana. Did 50 miles in 3 days, but after getting out of the shuttle after the 21 mile day I was so stiff and sore I could barely walk up the stairs back at the hostel. And I was only carrying about 5 lbs in a daypack that day.

There will be no 4-state challenge in my future...

Papa D
06-25-2012, 18:13
Good post - - 54 miles in 15 hours

Different Socks
06-25-2012, 19:32
It was my 1992 thru hike, and I did about 32 miles on the AT in New Hampshire. Just felt like trying.

rocketsocks
06-25-2012, 20:01
Good post - - 54 miles in 15 hoursDang drew,3.6 mph,that's like practically running,your a machine!kudos

Malto
06-25-2012, 20:18
My highest mileage day on the AT was 57.4 miles in 18.5 hrs. It was the Georgia Loop and included the AT, BM and Duncan Ridge trails and had over 15k ft elevation gain. I have done multiple 40+ including in Sheanandoah, back to back four state challenges. NOC to Near Fontana and back and multiple different sections in NC and GA. This last weekend was most of the section between Front Royal and Harpers Ferry. The hardest by far was the Ga Loop followed by the NOC section, Jacobs Ladder kicked my butt.

If you want to cure yourself of pushing for mileage records then go do the Georgia Loop. There will be few days that will top that in difficulty regardless of the distance and makes ultra high mile days somewhat meaningless.

Biggie Master
06-25-2012, 20:26
approximately 25 miles on December 31, 2011

Started at Newfound Gap parking area at 8:30pm and walked into Cosby Campground the next morning, the last 5.3 miles down Snake Den Ridge Trail. When we started, it was 30 degrees with a light snow falling and winds gusting between 10 and 15 mph -- perfect weather for an all night hike. The original plan had been to do an easy two or three day section from Newfound to I-40, but life happens and we were faced with two options -- 1) cancel/reschedule the trip or 2) condense it into one day (or night). We had a blast, so I would definitely do it again!

Different Socks
06-25-2012, 22:03
As for highest miles ever hiked any where: Berkshires Hills in Mass, did 30 miles in 10 hours, break times included. Then several years later I did 33 miles in about 8 hours on the Colorado Trail in 1993.

rocketsocks
06-25-2012, 22:14
As for highest miles ever hiked any where: Berkshires Hills in Mass, did 30 miles in 10 hours, break times included. Then several years later I did 33 miles in about 8 hours on the Colorado Trail in 1993.Motorin.....what's your price for flight,of finding Mr.right.......:D

Big Dawg
06-25-2012, 23:54
20 miler,, leading nobo into Damascus, when I joined my thruhiking friend in 2007.

Papa D
06-26-2012, 00:26
Dang drew,3.6 mph,that's like practically running,your a machine!kudos

thanks - just so you know, it wasn't technically "backpacking" - I had a camelback, a rain jacket, about 10 bars, some bleach, and about 10 packs of GU gel - went from Fontana to Winding Stair and yes, I did run quite a bit of it. - - longest actual backpacking days in the 30s - - did do Art Loeb Trail in NC in a day which is a fun jaunt - - you can do a whole trail in a day.

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 00:45
thanks - just so you know, it wasn't technically "backpacking" - I had a camelback, a rain jacket, about 10 bars, some bleach, and about 10 packs of GU gel - went from Fontana to Winding Stair and yes, I did run quite a bit of it. - - longest actual backpacking days in the 30s - - did do Art Loeb Trail in NC in a day which is a fun jaunt - - you can do a whole trail in a day.Man I long for that,not the miles,or the time,but the cardio,currently doing about 3 miles and I'm wiped,even a third of that i'd be happy with,after the winter,I hit a wall.....one day.:)

Zippy Morocco
06-26-2012, 00:50
I was full of energy and ready for town. I ended up landing about 10 pm. It was a long day.

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 01:06
I was full of energy and ready for town. I ended up landing about 10 pm. It was a long day.man your arms must be tired.....zing

Rasty
06-26-2012, 01:22
Just yesterday evening I did 10 miles in 3 hours. Started at 6:30 pm thinking I would just go 2.8 miles to the Mt. Couer d'Alene overlook, never found the overlook and decided to go to the top. Got to the top at 8:30 pm, and walked / ran downhill fast because I didn't pack a headlamp. The last mile going down was the steepest part and almost fully dark. Got to my vehicle at 9:30 and 10 minutes later it was totally dark. Next time I travel for work I need to bring a few more things.

Biggest AT mileage day was around 18 miles.

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 04:03
good post - - 54 miles in 15 hours

beast mode!

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 04:04
Or even with an upper case B. **Facepalm**

earlyriser26
06-26-2012, 07:00
About 26 miles from Matts creek shelter north. Still can't believe we hiked that far considsering that there were a couple two thousand foot climbs involved.

Nutbrown
06-26-2012, 07:09
A whooping 10 miles, but only because we walked past the 'campground' on the north fork of the James river. Measly, but I'm proud.

Jim Adams
06-26-2012, 08:50
53.1...Dennis Cove Campground to Damascus in 19 hrs, 35 minutes.

geek

10-K
06-26-2012, 09:48
37... but I take solace in the fact that I can hike 25 miles every day without too much trouble.

No secret... start early, don't dawdle or take 2 hour lunches, and hike a bit late in the day.

Monkeywrench
06-26-2012, 09:49
My shortest day was 0.3 miles.

WingedMonkey
06-26-2012, 10:50
I have no idea. Must have been enough and in the right place to get me where I was going.

brian039
06-26-2012, 11:13
24 or 25 miles. Somewhere in PA around Caledonia SP. Got up early, hiked, swam for a couple of hours in the swimming pool at the state park and ate lunch at the concession stand, then hiked until almost dark. I just felt good hiking that day and didn't want to stop.

max patch
06-26-2012, 11:31
I remember the old Philosophers Guide said that "for an easy 20 do 10 by 12". Thats good advice.

Prada
06-26-2012, 21:06
Turned a planned weekend hike into one day with a 14 miler from Hogpen Gap to Unicoi back in March.

Previous record was 13.1 miles on the Florida Trail.

Mountain Mike
06-26-2012, 23:25
38 milesI think. Did about four miles from Cogdon camp & was coming up on rt 9 when heard someone running behind us. Knew the hiker & said he was slackpacking. Got to Rt 9 in Vt & hiker I was with at the time said let's slackpack to Manchester Center. I hesitated & said it's like 30+miles away & it's 10 now. He just looked at me & said we can do it! 14 hrs later & walking into town we made it! I figure it was 38 mile day.

stranger
06-27-2012, 00:05
Right around the 30 mark for me, maybe 31 or 33, don't really remember. I personally find there is a very big difference between say 25-26 miles and 30, huge difference for me.

My personal record that I like to reflect on is 26.2 miles in 8 hours, 39 mins in 1995. Iron Mountain Shelter to Damascus, did 16 miles before noon. Quincy's was a calling! Tried this again in 2008...haha, how the trail had changed :) but still a good run!

woodbooger
06-27-2012, 07:40
For most miles hiked on the AT in one day? What were the circumstances? Also, where were you at?
I'm doing 45 this Saturday while doing the 4 state challenge. Pen Mar to Loudoun Heights, VA then back to Harper's Ferry. Probably take 18 hours.

jersey joe
06-27-2012, 10:21
I did 44.6 miles from Lower Jo-Mary Lake to Katahdin Stream Campground on the last day of my thru hike. My family was meeting me at the base of Katahdin so I pulled an all nighter to get there. Then, without rest, I hiked up and down Katahdin, but that falls into the next day's hiking since 24 hours elapsed. Great way to end a thru hike!!!

DavidNH
06-27-2012, 11:56
my longest day was about 22 miles in New Jersey. The terrain was easy and often wet. I didn't really have much choice but to keep going else I'd have stopped in a marsh. For me, I'm having fun till about 15 miles. After 18 miles, 19 miles, I am no longer having fun so I would never do a super long mileage day if I can help it!

kolokolo
07-01-2012, 20:32
43 miles. Just North of Pen-Mar to the Comfort Inn in Harper's Ferry.

Biggie Master
07-01-2012, 20:47
I did 44.6 miles from Lower Jo-Mary Lake to Katahdin Stream Campground on the last day of my thru hike. My family was meeting me at the base of Katahdin so I pulled an all nighter to get there. Then, without rest, I hiked up and down Katahdin, but that falls into the next day's hiking since 24 hours elapsed. Great way to end a thru hike!!!

One of my ambitions is to do a 24 hour non-stop (except for meal breaks) hike -- just to see how I handle it.

bamboo bob
07-01-2012, 21:32
I hiked 29 miles SOBO into Port Clinton. From 309? I stayed above the bar at a pub and above the bar in Port Clinton. Good motivation. Only because the place I wanted to camp, Pocahontas Spring, was flooded so i had to keep going anyway and once I got in range... On the PCT I did 39 miles but that's another story.

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 00:41
One of my ambitions is to do a 24 hour non-stop (except for meal breaks) hike -- just to see how I handle it.I'd try that,but not on a hiking trip.....I'd need my own bed after that,and about 3 weeks to recover,but I may just try that some time,strangly it sounds fun.Go figure,hmm...

SassyWindsor
07-03-2012, 00:35
My shortest day was 0.3 miles.

Mine was -3 or so miles (-1.5 miles one way). Had left my watch hanging on a limb while I washed my pots in the woods. Lucky I realized it as soon as I did.

coreybv
08-02-2012, 00:10
20 miles of hiking, but only 15 miles advanced on the trail. Left some stuff behind when I took a break and realized it 2.6 miles later. So by the time I went back for my stuff and rehiked that distance I had a nice 5.2 mile "idiot penalty" added to that days hike...

Worst part is that the last 2 miles of that day were hiked in a severe thunderstorm. Trees blowing over and the whole bit. Would have finished under blue skies and sunshine if I hadn't had that delay.

Datto
08-02-2012, 23:21

My longest day on my AT thru-hike was a 25 miles day coming into Waynesboro, VA -- wow what a hot and humid day. That includes a two mile reroute that happened to occur while I was thru-hiking the AT through that section of Virginia.

About 10 miles south of Waynesboro I'd passed by another thru-hiker about 3:30pm that day who'd commented to me about the heat and the humidity of Virginia. And those incessant gnats. We'd seen each other a few times along the trail since Springer and she'd always had such a positive attitude and that had helped to overcome all the daily obstacles we would all encounter along our thru-hikes.

Uptrail in New Hampshire I'd run into her again by surprise as I was coming down a steep hill -- she was at a shelter I'd stopped by to take a break early one morning and I'd found out she had flipped flopped up to Katahdin and was heading south back to Virginia.

Later, after my thru-hike, I was attending a monthly meeting where I was a director of one of the largest United Way agencies in Indiana. There had been some newcomers to the board while I was gone to the AT and one of the newcomers was introduced to me in the board meeting. She said that she'd heard that I'd thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail and wondered if I'd run into her mom during my thru-hike -- her mom had thru-hiked the same year that I had thru-hiked the AT. I'd asked her what her trail name was...

So funny how the AT transcends great distances of miles and time...

Datto

garlic08
08-03-2012, 06:24
My AT hike only took me 106 days, a 20+ mpd average, but I never hiked a 30 mile day on the AT. My goal was consistency. A full hiking day was usually 25 miles with 12 hours+ of walking. I only took three zeros, and those were mainly to see friends and family. I never wanted to hike a day I couldn't repeat the next day.

In the hundred mile wilderness, I helped a guy out who hiked a 50 (a challenge from friends for donations to charity) on his thru hike. I gave him extra food, and helped treat his beat-up feet when I passed him the next day. I respected that accomplishment, and the thousands of dollars he raised.

I think my longest day ever, in my life, was in the low 30s. I'm just not built for the ultra-long days. On the Western trails, I could consistently hike consecutive 30s, and once did 100 miles in two nights out. On the AT, that would take three nights with close to maximum effort.

Papa D
08-03-2012, 08:03
My AT hike only took me 106 days, a 20+ mpd average, but I never hiked a 30 mile day on the AT. My goal was consistency. A full hiking day was usually 25 miles with 12 hours+ of walking. I only took three zeros, and those were mainly to see friends and family. I never wanted to hike a day I couldn't repeat the next day.

In the hundred mile wilderness, I helped a guy out who hiked a 50 (a challenge from friends for donations to charity) on his thru hike. I gave him extra food, and helped treat his beat-up feet when I passed him the next day. I respected that accomplishment, and the thousands of dollars he raised.

I think my longest day ever, in my life, was in the low 30s. I'm just not built for the ultra-long days. On the Western trails, I could consistently hike consecutive 30s, and once did 100 miles in two nights out. On the AT, that would take three nights with close to maximum effort.

This is very sage and sensible advice to long distance hikers. When I've done super big days (30+), I'm usually worthless the next day - - not so much from hiking but from lack of sleep - to do a 36 mile day for example, I have to start at 4am and hike until 10pm - 18 hours with very few breaks If I'm lucky, I might be able to do 6 the next day, so, unless you just want to test yourself with a "one and done day" - - two days at 21 m.p.d. (or whatever your sort of "regular big day would be) would be much more sustainable - for me there is a HUGE difference between 21 and 26 -- it's only 5 miles but it's vastly different in terms of next day soreness and sleep than say the gap between 10 and 15.

Back to sleep, after a big day, it also takes me a bit of time to moderate my heart rate - - if you run Marathons, you know - you are exhausted but can't sleep - you just lie there and rest and listen to your heart beat.

Another Kevin
08-03-2012, 08:42
Being a clueless weekender, I don't count the miles very much. I figure that if I ever were to advance beyond "clueless weekender" it would take a long time to get my trail legs at my age.

Once, 30+ years ago, I did 50 miles in a 3-day weekend. I could hardly move for about three weeks afterward. Yeah, I know, you have to work up to it, but my buddies were going.

RadioFreq
08-03-2012, 16:32
27 miles....Hogback Ridge Shelter to Erwin.....and not because I wanted to.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=266488

fredmugs
08-03-2012, 17:52
40.7 miles from Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam. Hopped in a car and drove it to Standing Bear Farm. Knocked out 33.4 the next day back to my car. My 2 biggest days back to back. Those days were nothing compared to the 20 mile day I did thru Mahoosic Arm and the Notch SOBO.

Papa D
08-03-2012, 21:11
40.7 miles from Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam. Hopped in a car and drove it to Standing Bear Farm. Knocked out 33.4 the next day back to my car. My 2 biggest days back to back. Those days were nothing compared to the 20 mile day I did thru Mahoosic Arm and the Notch SOBO.

sounds like fun

Firefighter503
08-04-2012, 18:02
26.1 trail miles from Iron Mountain Shelter to Damascus, VA last year. It poured rain the whole day prior, and the day of, so we started out with heavy/sloshing socks/boots. Tried to buy trail runners the next day in town, but they didn't have any that fit my large feet. Learned my lesson there.

QiWiz
08-04-2012, 22:33
20 miles from top of Max Patch to Hot Springs

Sarcasm the elf
08-04-2012, 22:38
19 miles, mt race in Mass to Tom Leonard Lean-to, temps in the high 90's, high humidity, ran out of water for the last couple miles. Damn proud of it as a section hiker.

Blue Wolf
08-04-2012, 23:22
21 from Groundhog Creek shelter to the next crappy one 3 miles before Hot Springs....I was meeting an old friend I met while hiking in "07"...and that wore my old ass out!

johnnybgood
08-04-2012, 23:46
26.2 miles , Pinefield to Calf Mountain Shelter. Hiked in off and on rain that day in which it rained every day for 6 straight days. I really just wanted to get off the trail ...tired of hiking.

Datto
08-05-2012, 00:29
Once, 30+ years ago, I did 50 miles in a 3-day weekend. I could hardly move for about three weeks afterward. Yeah, I know, you have to work up to it, but my buddies were going.

Prior to my AT thru-hike I drove up to norther Michigan to do two 20-mile days in a row just to see if I could do it.

I was taking a nap on my Mylar blanket during the afternoon of the 2nd day when some ladies came over to ask if I was alright.

Ha.

Datto

soulrebel
08-05-2012, 07:57
I know of one hiker that has cranked back to back 60-70 mile days. i'm pretty sure they did 130 miles in 36 hours with gear. But have definately met a few that have done 60+miles in a day. I've done about 30miles in 7 hours with gear. Yes, i'd like to run a 50 and 100 miler one day.

CrumbSnatcher
08-05-2012, 19:27
david lesser to deerlick 54.9
manchester center to bennington 40.1
manassas gap to keys gap 39.9
crawford notch campsite to pinkham notch 26
these are the ones that are stuck in my mind :-)
with full pack minus the dogs gear and food (my dog BEAR had zero days with friends on days like these)
my first 20 ever was nobo on the backside of the smokies,where alot of thrus do thier first 20 miler

Lone Wolf
08-05-2012, 19:28
you bad azz!