PDA

View Full Version : Tougher Climb

bigcat2
04-18-2005, 13:14
I am wondering from those who have done it, which is the tougher climb, Shuckstack in GSMNP or the hill after Sweetwater Gap between Stecoah and Brown Fork Shelter? I am preparing for an upcoming Smokies through and have heard from many that Shuckstack is a killer, but I've never done it. I've done the Sweetwater climb twice and that was steep enough and can't picture much that is harder. Thanks for the input in advance.

Jaybird
04-18-2005, 13:21
i voted fer SHUCKSTACK...my knees werer killing me after that one....

you calling LATTE...real coffee?????????

I DONT THINK SO!

C-Stepper
04-18-2005, 17:52
THAT'S just great...you have to tell me that Shuckstack will kick my butt BEFORE I get there for the first time in a couple of weeks! Boo! :banana

Youngblood
04-18-2005, 19:35
I am wondering from those who have done it, which is the tougher climb, Shuckstack in GSMNP or the hill after Sweetwater Gap between Stecoah and Brown Fork Shelter? I am preparing for an upcoming Smokies through and have heard from many that Shuckstack is a killer, but I've never done it. I've done the Sweetwater climb twice and that was steep enough and can't picture much that is harder. Thanks for the input in advance.The climb between Stecoah Gap and Brown Fork Shelter... I call that the Climb That Never Ends. Seems like EVERYTIME I hike the Climb That Never Ends it is at the end of a long long day, at it kicks my arse.

Youngblood

halibut15
04-18-2005, 19:54
Well, I've haven't hiked the Sweetwater Gap hill; it's on the small section of the AT before the Smokies I haven't done, but I can't imagine it being much steeper than Shuckstack. Hell Ridge on the other side of the Smokies is brutal though...of course, any 3000 foot vertical haul will do that to ya.

A-Train
04-18-2005, 20:47
Sweetwater/Stecoah is steeper, but much shorter. The SHuckstack and climb out of Fontana is about 5 miles long, and goes on and on. Not only that but you're most likely hauling 6-7 days of food and starting from low elevation. I'd take a short steep one anyday, over a long one.

Lone Wolf
04-18-2005, 20:58
They're both easy.

fiddlehead
04-18-2005, 20:59
Sure it is steep but the one just after Stecoah Gap in GA is a short, steep climb. It is over in 15 minutes whereas the climb out of Fontana up to Shuckstack firetower is a long (but not so steep ) climb and usually it has to be done with a full pack (food & water).
I remember hiking the climb out of Stecoah Gap with an ex Army ranger who was carrying the topo maps and he looked at the map and said "pretty easy from here to the shelter" and i said: "i remember this name Stecoah Gap as being a tough climb coming up" We started the climb (at the end of the day, having decided to stay at the shelter) and had to stop and eat 2 snickers bars on the way up. (but still it doesn't compare to the long one out of Fontana)
Give me the short one with camp waiting at the end ! fh

bigcat2
04-18-2005, 23:41
THAT'S just great...you have to tell me that Shuckstack will kick my butt BEFORE I get there for the first time in a couple of weeks! Boo! :banana

Sorry The#Is10 to burst your bubble, but I too am going by previous claims. Just out of curiosity, when are you going to be on that section? Me and my hiking buddy are going to start at the Dam to Hot Springs on the 21st of May. Have a good hike and maybe we'll see ya out there.

C-Stepper
04-19-2005, 07:49
Heading out for a short section from Fontana on Mother's Day weekend (happy MDay to me!). This is my first AT section, and my first mountains overnighter. I'll be blue-blazing back to my car after I finish the section. I've never stayed in shelters, and I admit that I'm not fond of the idea (I prefer solitude), but I think the promised views from the ridge should make up for it!

Just out of curiosity, when are you going to be on that section? Me and my hiking buddy are going to start at the Dam to Hot Springs on the 21st of May. Have a good hike and maybe we'll see ya out there.

MOWGLI
04-19-2005, 09:38
I am wondering from those who have done it, which is the tougher climb, Shuckstack in GSMNP or the hill after Sweetwater Gap between Stecoah and Brown Fork Shelter? I am preparing for an upcoming Smokies through and have heard from many that Shuckstack is a killer, but I've never done it. I've done the Sweetwater climb twice and that was steep enough and can't picture much that is harder. Thanks for the input in advance.

Big Cat, I hate to burst your bubble, but I'll do it anyway. :D

When you're huffin' & puffin' up those hills, just keep this in the back of your mind.... They ain't nuthin' compared to what New England has to offer. When you think of New Hampshire and Western Maine, think of Albert Mountain - for miles & miles. That is NOT a stretch.

Have a great hike!

chris
04-19-2005, 09:50
Neither are particularly difficult. Stecoah is steep, but short. Shuckstack is longer, but not especially steep.

I should qualify this: Now, neither would be especially difficult. When I went through on my section hike in 2002, I'd give the nod to Shuckstack as being the more difficult. Stecoah was tiring, but it really is pretty short. Shuckstack just went on for a while.

If you haven't done much hillclimbing, the day coming out of NOC would be more difficult than coming out of Fontana, given that you go up and over Cheoah, and then up and out of Stecoah.

Skyline
04-19-2005, 10:24
Shuckstack goes on forever it seems, but it's a nicely graded trail, not very steep relatively speaking. Just take a short break every now and then and you'll be fine.

The climb out of Stecoah is not THAT long, but it's steeper as I recall. Didn't kick my butt tho, the way some of the hand-over-hand stuff in New Hampshire and Maine did. Wait til you get to Katahdin--they saved the best for your Final Exam. IMHO it's the most difficult ascent on the whole AT. It's also the one you'll most appreciate, especially if you're NOBO.

lobster
04-19-2005, 23:27
They switchbacked the top part of it sometime between 94 and 98.

LEGS
04-19-2005, 23:37
hey guys, they are just a couple of hills, i thought ya was hikers, they are both easy. remember if this hikin thing was easy, anybody could do it! WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES WHO REALLY DO IT! HAVE A GOOD TRIP ,BOYS!