PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail - Tenting

10-K
06-25-2012, 11:50
I've hiked the AT portion of the Long Trail - north of where the AT and LT split how is it for tenting?

Are there frequent enough places to pitch a non-freestanding tent?

I'm hoping to not have to shelter hop or get stuck with tent platforms with my non-freestanding tent if I can help it.

lemon b
06-25-2012, 12:24
You'll be fine.

jakedatc
06-25-2012, 13:26
you can get creative with tent platforms. skinny stakes help.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Socjake/White%20Mountains/IMG_0290.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/Socjake/White%20Mountains/IMG_0295.jpg

Jeff
06-25-2012, 14:03
Great idea jakedatc !!!!

Papa D
06-25-2012, 23:29
Most of the shelter areas have room for tents - - you probably want to stay inside Butler or Taft Lodge - they are super cool - - a couple of shelters had pretty meager tenting nearby and we had to get a little inventive but you should be pretty good to go tenting most areas - - FYI, there is really nice tenting at Cooley Glenn, Roundtop, and Spruce Ledge Shelters (and others too). I'd try to skip Sunrise Shelter if possible - - tenting was awkward and limited and the place is pretty near the road - we had to make room for some locals that showed up late - always a pleasure :cool: Hazen's Notch and Bear Hollow didn't have the best tenting either but it was doable for one or two tents. You've got my number - call me if you want more.

Cookerhiker
06-26-2012, 07:57
Most of the shelter areas have room for tents - - you probably want to stay inside Butler or Taft Lodge - they are super cool ....

I consider Butler Lodge one of the best locales of any shelter on either the LT or AT. The shelter is cut into the west slope of the Mt. Mansfield massif. You get a fantastic view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks. The sunset is spectacular with the alpenglow shining on Mansfield. Stay there if you can.

StubbleJumper
06-27-2012, 10:03
North of Maine Junction, almost all of the spots that would be appropriate for pitching a tent are found at shelter sites. It's possible to camp away from the shelters, but you'd have to really keep your eyes peeled for flattish spots that are clear of vegetation. In Vermont, there aren't too many of those, but it can be done. If you really want complete autonomy to just camp where ever you like, I'd suggest that you invest in a hammock so that you don't need to find a flat, open space.

That being said, north of Maine Junction, there are way fewer hikers. You can often get a shelter with only one or two other hikers, or sometimes you'll get a shelter to yourself. In general, the shelters are nice and, while mice exist, they don't tend to be numerous.

10-K
06-27-2012, 10:07
North of Maine Junction, almost all of the spots that would be appropriate for pitching a tent are found at shelter sites. It's possible to camp away from the shelters, but you'd have to really keep your eyes peeled for flattish spots that are clear of vegetation. In Vermont, there aren't too many of those, but it can be done. If you really want complete autonomy to just camp where ever you like, I'd suggest that you invest in a hammock so that you don't need to find a flat, open space.

That being said, north of Maine Junction, there are way fewer hikers. You can often get a shelter with only one or two other hikers, or sometimes you'll get a shelter to yourself. In general, the shelters are nice and, while mice exist, they don't tend to be numerous.

Thanks for this info and the info about August weather!