PDA

View Full Version : Waiting till next year due to fires

Papa D
06-25-2012, 18:05
I've been around and around on this but I've decided to hike the CT next year - - I've been well informed that there are no fires (currently) on the trail but there are some very close fires. I'm sure that the air must be smoky - - additionally, (while I don't build many) there is a statewide ban on campfires and I'm sure that after the dry winter, water sources are at their worst. I'm still going to try to hike 400 miles or so next month - - I'm tentatively going to go to Rutland, VT and see if I can make it through Maine - - it's probably on the warm side in New England too, but I'm not so worried about fires and water.:o

Cookerhiker
06-25-2012, 19:42
Good choice - the trail will still be there next year. When I think of this year's hikers, my first concern is the water situation. While you and others were planning on an earlier start than mine last year (July 24), I still suspect that some of the water sources I drew on would be marginal or non-existent. In particular, the second Pine Creek (the one in Segment 18, not Segment 12) and the small seepage at Mile 12.4 of Segment 27 are surely dry.

rocketsocks
06-25-2012, 20:06
If it feels like the better choice,then it probably is,have a great hike! Ct's not going anywhere,just getting prettier for your trip in the future.

RodentWhisperer
06-25-2012, 22:13
A safe choice, Papa D. I live about 40 miles south of the biggest fire (High Park), and on several days, the air has been hazy and has smelled like smoke.

I've been planning to do the CT next year-- maybe we'll meet on the trail! :-)

Driver8
06-25-2012, 23:06
I would love it if I can come hike with you for a bit. Maybe Moosilauke. I surely will not hold you up nearly as much as March of last year. :)

This does not look like a good year for the CT. I think you're making a wise choice, PD.

Papa D
06-25-2012, 23:46
I would love it if I can come hike with you for a bit. Maybe Moosilauke. I surely will not hold you up nearly as much as March of last year. :)

This does not look like a good year for the CT. I think you're making a wise choice, PD.

That would be fun Driver 8 - - what I really need is another shuttle - - I can pay plus gas!

double d
06-26-2012, 23:04
Good choices, but I think I'm still hiking the CT this summer (mid July). Looks like the fires are staying north of the CT at this time (late June).

10-K
06-26-2012, 23:05
Why not scoot a little further west and check out a sizable piece of the PCT?

heavyfoot
06-26-2012, 23:49
I'm still hiking the CT this summer (mid July). Looks like the fires are staying north of the CT at this time (late June).

Same here.

RodentWhisperer
06-27-2012, 09:16
There are currently two fires outside of Durango (Land Seed, 31% contained; and Weber, 15% contained). Be careful!

heavyfoot
06-27-2012, 23:56
I'm not inclined to reschedule however I'm keeping a close watch on the air quality as I have chronic asthma. Has anyone actually been on the trail in the past few days and can tell us what the air is like there?

http://www.colorado.gov/airquality/advisory.aspx