PDA

View Full Version : Mail Drop Protocol

roger_friesen
12-22-2002, 13:42
When using hostels or hotels for maildrops, is it required that prior arrangements be made with them in order to ensure they accept the packge even if they advertise this as a service they offer to hikers?

How long do post offices or hostels keep maildrops?

Would sending a maildrop to a hostel provide an advantage on securing overnight accommodation in case they are full?

What is the correct way to address a package to a hotel/hostel?

Is there a desirable font size to use when printing the shipping labels?

Peaks
12-22-2002, 17:21
Originally posted by roger_friesen
When using hostels or hotels for maildrops, is it required that prior arrangements be made with them in order to ensure they accept the packge even if they advertise this as a service they offer to hikers?

I didn't. Just write on the label "Hold for AT Hiker."

How long do post offices or hostels keep maildrops?

Officially, the Post Office will hold for about 2 weeks. However, along the trail, I have been told that they frequently hold for much longer. A hostel can hold them for as long they like.

Would sending a maildrop to a hostel provide an advantage on securing overnight accommodation in case they are full?

No, because they have no way of knowing if you are on schedule or not.

What is the correct way to address a package to a hotel/hostel?

Address it to "Your Name, % hostel, address, etc" and add the note "Hold for AT hiker"

Is there a desirable font size to use when printing the shipping labels?

Just make it readable. I hand wrote mine.

walkerat99
12-22-2002, 18:28
Peaks, gave you most of the answers you were looking for I think. I will add one more bit of information, if it is to a post office along the trail which I did use many of them and never had a problem.. If to a PO.... put your name, then under that General Delivery and then the town, state and zip.... then also on each corner add Please Hold For Thru-Hiker..

_____________name

_____________ General Delivery

_____________ Town, State, Zip

Hope this helps.... Happy Trails...... Ed

SGT Rock
12-22-2002, 19:10
You will read in the guides that some service providers ask for coordination prior to doing your drop or only use some services like UPS. Jensine can tell you about the hassles on accepting packages because last year I was planning to send one there to Rainbow Springs - but they do not accept them anymore. I wouldn't assume that all of them would, spend a few bucks making some phone calls or use e-mail ahead of time to save heatbreak if that is your main method of re-supply.