PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Next Big Trail?

WIAPilot
06-25-2012, 21:35
Once you complete the AT or if you have already completed it - where are your hiking boots headed next? :sun

Tipi Walter
06-25-2012, 21:52
My next big trip is always aimed at a certain locale and area rather than a forced march on a long trail. I'll eyeball a place and google up some maps and research and head into an area half-prepared for a three week romp. My latest trips have included compiling folders on whatever area I'm interested in backpacking. I just finished several long trips into various wilderness areas and backcountry forests---the Big Frog/Cohutta, the Snowbird backcountry in NC, the Bald and Upper Bald River wilderness, the usual Citico/Slickrock swarays, and several long trips into the Mt Rogers recreation area. My very latest trip included 22 days on the BMT headed south from Tellico River to Big Frog Mountain and took me on the JMT on the Hiwassee River.

Upcoming trips and their pertinent folders are the Mountains to Sea trail from Linville Gorge east to Steels Creek and Upper Creek and Harpers Creek north to Beacon Heights. It's old stomping grounds from 1980's but I need to return. Then there's a folder for Dolly Sods, of course.

Prada
06-25-2012, 22:34
Peru, Inca Trail in April.

WIAPilot
06-25-2012, 22:40
My next big trip is always aimed at a certain locale and area rather than a forced march on a long trail. I'll eyeball a place and google up some maps and research and head into an area half-prepared for a three week romp. My latest trips have included compiling folders on whatever area I'm interested in backpacking. I just finished several long trips into various wilderness areas and backcountry forests---the Big Frog/Cohutta, the Snowbird backcountry in NC, the Bald and Upper Bald River wilderness, the usual Citico/Slickrock swarays, and several long trips into the Mt Rogers recreation area. My very latest trip included 22 days on the BMT headed south from Tellico River to Big Frog Mountain and took me on the JMT on the Hiwassee River.

Upcoming trips and their pertinent folders are the Mountains to Sea trail from Linville Gorge east to Steels Creek and Upper Creek and Harpers Creek north to Beacon Heights. It's old stomping grounds from 1980's but I need to return. Then there's a folder for Dolly Sods, of course.

I knew that you were off on some big adventure! Good to have you back, Tipi.

rocketsocks
06-25-2012, 22:51
Most of all my hiking was in a different fashion than most,it wasn't about miles,and it wasn't about how long it took,it was the getting there that made the reward,not always the most direct route A to B(not always the easiest route)sometimes the teks involved trials,most of the time it was Bushwhacking,I prefer trails now,but every now and then,to get the treasures/views/rocks/or whatever,you gotta get dirty,tired of gettin dirty,lots easier going,so now i'm concentrating on trails,but the way I approach a trek is the same,library,maps,computer,and a little intuition,and about a cup and a half of "Whatever"Some of the best treks i've been on,were when it was completely different than I had planned for,"that's a Magical Moment"and hard to duplicate...love it,long for it,live it!and then let it be.....

anytrail will do,prolly start with the AT,following blazes,making camp,and taking pictures

Red Hat
06-25-2012, 23:05
After the AT, I planned on doing either the Camino de Santiago in Spain or the National Israeli Trail. Instead I did the John Muir Trail in California. It was amazing! The other two are still on my must hike list... I don't think I'll ever do another 2000 miler again, though my friends have said I should do the PCT..

Odd Man Out
06-25-2012, 23:18
Kilimanjaro

Johnny Thunder
06-25-2012, 23:27
90 days in nepal

Jim Adams
06-26-2012, 00:48
a water trail...the Missouri River.

geek

Different Socks
06-26-2012, 01:33
Florida Trail to Pinhoti Trail to the AT to Big K, back south to Springer, then back north to Big K, then south again to Springer.

Spend the following winter prepping for next hike, then Florida Trail to Pinhoti Trail to AT to Harpers Ferry, pick up the ADT in Lewes, DE and hike west to California, use the winter to prep for the return, then do the ADT in reverse and when get to east coast get back on AT and finish at Big K.

Kermitt
06-26-2012, 03:44
At this moment I have been live in Bangkok, Thailand, but the end of next mouth I am heading for Switzerland before coming home. I plan to hike part of the Apline National Route. I will be hiking the Bernser Oberlandwhich runs from Grindelwald - Adeboden. I am going to the huts and when I get to Kandersteg, I will stau at the Internation Boy Scour Center, then hike to Adeboden which has a Girl Giude and Girl Scout Center call Our Carlet. All in all lots of fun.

Monkeywrench
06-26-2012, 05:59
Kilimanjaro

Be careful. It's easy to get used to having somebody else carrying the gear and cooking fresh food for you every day!

verasch
06-26-2012, 07:25
At some point I'd be interested in doing Vancouver's west coast trail. It's not that long, but the scenery and way look amazing to me.

Maddog
06-26-2012, 07:33
The AT one more time, then the PCT and CDT! Maddog:)

lemon b
06-26-2012, 07:51
As of late the BMT has been on my mind. Of course Blue Blazing in the Whites is awfully fun.

fiddlehead
06-26-2012, 08:26
At this moment I have been live in Bangkok, Thailand, but the end of next mouth I am heading for Switzerland before coming home. I plan to hike part of the Apline National Route. I will be hiking the Bernser Oberlandwhich runs from Grindelwald - Adeboden. I am going to the huts and when I get to Kandersteg, I will stau at the Internation Boy Scour Center, then hike to Adeboden which has a Girl Giude and Girl Scout Center call Our Carlet. All in all lots of fun.

Hey, if you make it down to Phuket, look me up, I'm blazing a trail here that will be close to 100 miles when complete. Been working on it for 6 years now and have it 3/4 finished but no experienced hikers to enjoy it with. It's mostly jungle where I'm at right now but will soon flatten out a bit and skirt some pineapple/rubber plantations/rice paddys (easy stuff compared to bushwhacking the jungle here)

The TAT will probably not put the necessary money into it, simply because it grows back to fast, but it's still fun designing a real trail through steep jungle.
Switzerland will be more scenic, but the girls are nicer here. LOL

Different Socks
06-26-2012, 08:34
At some point I'd be interested in doing Vancouver's west coast trail. It's not that long, but the scenery and way look amazing to me.

Are you looking forward to the high cost of the permit and ferry?

brian039
06-26-2012, 09:57
It's been almost 2 years since I've finished the AT and I've done some hiking on the Maine coast, the BMT through the Smokies, Colorado Trail thru-hike, and some hiking in the Sangre De Cristo's. I miss the lifestyle. I'll do the PCT next year and I'd like to do the CDT in sections so that I can hike all of it in the best season. I want to do the AT southbound someday just to make it a little different but I've already done it once and there's a lot more to life than hiking so maybe not.

Odd Man Out
06-26-2012, 10:06
Be careful. It's easy to get used to having somebody else carrying the gear and cooking fresh food for you every day!

If you are interested, there is one outfitter that lets you climb Kibo carrying your own gear/food/everything in their Superlite Series:
http://www.teamkilimanjaro.com/prices.html

But I'll opt for the traditional support. By all accounts, hiking to almost 20K ft is never easy, even with a porter.

Kathleen Demers
06-26-2012, 10:14
Thanks for sharing.http://www.50centloseweight.com/jhkh.gif

ATMountainTime
06-26-2012, 10:18
once AT is done, Camino and or the Ice Age trail

Maddog
06-26-2012, 10:28
Peru, Inca Trail in April.
I'm totally jealous! Maddog:)

Monkeywrench
06-26-2012, 10:37
By all accounts, hiking to almost 20K ft is never easy, even with a porter.

Yeah. I had hallucinations on the last climb from Kibo Hut to the summit. I'm really glad I did it, but don't think I will ever go to that kind of altitude again.

turtle fast
06-26-2012, 10:43
Unfortunately you now get a guide which is mandatory for the Inca Trail, before you did not need one. Probably redo the AT or possibly the PCT, just saw film "Walking the Great Divide" a Flagler film on the CDT and it looked awesome....Camino is always on the list but waiting till I am older.

Monkeywrench
06-26-2012, 10:44
Yeah. I had hallucinations on the last climb from Kibo Hut to the summit. I'm really glad I did it, but don't think I will ever go to that kind of altitude again.

By the way, you can buy Coca-Cola and gin all the way up Kilimanjaro. The price goes up at each higher camp. Konyagi gin is pretty darned good, and you buy it in plastic bags. I'd avoid the alcohol during the climb though, your body will be under enough stress without it.

One other bit of advice, don't fly in one day and start your climb the next. Spend some time doing something else first so you get acclimatized, rested, and re-hydrated. We had been in Tanzania for a week and a half cycling before we made our climb, and I'm sure it made a difference for us.

http://www.allenf.com/tanzania_surf_to_summit.htm

verasch
06-26-2012, 10:52
Are you looking forward to the high cost of the permit and ferry?

Admittedly, i haven't done all that much research on doing it, because "at some point" typically means, "prior to dying". Either way, I'm always looking forward to high prices. :p