PDA

View Full Version : Success Rate of WB Thru Hikers??

WIAPilot
06-25-2012, 21:42
Mountain Squid would probably be able to answer this best, but everyone is :welcome!! Any thoughts on the success rate to complete the AT by hikers who are WB Members vs those who are not?? What is the WB rate for AT Completion??

10-K
06-25-2012, 21:44
I would like to see a (miles hiked / messages posted) ratio myself. :)

SassyWindsor
06-25-2012, 22:07
i would like to see a (miles hiked / messages posted) ratio myself. :)

0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

SassyWindsor
06-25-2012, 22:11
or 1 mile hiked per 1 yottabyte of data posted :D

hikerboy57
06-25-2012, 22:20
or 1 mile hiked per 1 yottabyte of data posted :D

Sounds about right.

rocketsocks
06-25-2012, 22:23
sheeet,I got that one in the bag

keystrokes
miles hiked

It's like 4,565,045,862,495,690,024,560 :1

ChinMusic
06-25-2012, 22:24

Lone Wolf has a large numerator AND denominator.

Red Hat
06-25-2012, 23:14
4000+?? miles (I've stopped counting AT miles now) and 1860 posts for me..... I don't know though, wasn't till my third attempted thru that I made it GA-ME and I stopped 90 miles short of Katahdin because I'd done it all....

Jim Adams
06-26-2012, 00:53
2 completed thrus but both before I found WB.

geek

Zippy Morocco
06-26-2012, 00:54
Shoot, I thought WB stood for West bound. That would be a little low.

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 01:10
oh you know i'm subscribing to this one!

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 05:57
0/56 (Including this post).

I'm here to learn, maybe find a little fellowship. However, if I see something I can offer information on, even if it's passing secondhand, I won't let any ratio stop me.

hikerboy57
06-26-2012, 07:11
I would think they have a higher success rate because they don't smoke they carry a u l a circuit and tarp tent rainbow, pack out there poop leave big tips in town never use a cell phone even in the life and death emergency and ford the kennebec
it's just walking

hikerboy57
06-26-2012, 07:14
T and they know all the shortcuts

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 07:19
I would think they have a higher success rate because they don't smoke they carry a u l a circuit and tarp tent rainbow, pack out there poop leave big tips in town never use a cell phone even in the life and death emergency and ford the kennebec
it's just walking

and they leave their dog home and also carry a gun for shooting dogs who get brought on the trail.

948.3 unique AT miles for me (in other words places ive hiked multiple times only counted once)

AAhiker
06-26-2012, 07:52
and also carry a gun for shooting dogs who get brought on the trail.

Thats just a D*** move.

AAhiker
06-26-2012, 07:53
I'd be curious at the success ratio aka the OP as well. I have 120ish m/49 posts

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 07:53
Thats just a D*** move.

you obviously have read many of the guns threads or dogs threads here.... or the really funny ones where somehow the 2 get intermingled.

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 07:54
I'd be curious at the success ratio aka the OP as well. I have 120ish m/49 posts

me too. she sure posts enough.

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 07:54
you obviously have read many of the guns threads or dogs threads here.... or the really funny ones where somehow the 2 get intermingled.

make that havent

AAhiker
06-26-2012, 08:00
I've actually read a number of them, the dog ones anyway because I am trying to decide if I will bring my dog when I thru in a 2015. There is a lot of rediculous commentary I see on here in some sections.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2012, 08:00
1 in 20 make it

WIAPilot
06-26-2012, 08:05
I'd be curious at the success ratio aka the OP as well. I have 120ish m/49
Maybe you should try to remember which troll you are for the day...

kayak karl
06-26-2012, 08:11
Shoot, I thought WB stood for West bound. That would be a little low.
i think TOW has the most WEBO AND EABO completions on WB. up in the high thousands i think.

fiddlehead
06-26-2012, 08:17
This thread's subject reminds me of a WB'er a few years ago who was heading to the JMT and bugged us with questions about it for 6 months beforehand.
I remember going back to my (barebones) records/journals looking for answers and perusing maps finding bailout/resupply points for him.

I'm not complaining as I like doing stuff like that and helping hikes discover some of the wonderful trails in the world that I have experienced.
But when he later said he quit on the 2nd day, well, I lost a bit of respect for him at that time.

Some people spend a lot more time typing than they do walking.

Personally, I probably have 5 miles per post under my belt but 10 words typed per mile walked.

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 08:27
This thread's subject reminds me of a WB'er a few years ago who was heading to the JMT and bugged us with questions about it for 6 months beforehand.
I remember going back to my (barebones) records/journals looking for answers and perusing maps finding bailout/resupply points for him.

I'm not complaining as I like doing stuff like that and helping hikes discover some of the wonderful trails in the world that I have experienced.
But when he later said he quit on the 2nd day, well, I lost a bit of respect for him at that time.

Personally, I probably have 5 miles per post under my belt but 10 words typed per mile walked.

its not just here on WB, the world in general is full of people too busy planning things to actually do anything. its like the girl i knew as an undergrad who when introducing herself to class told us all how she was a part time student who was not only working and going to school, but was a double major with 2 minors.... she didnt make the end of the semester. at some point high ambition became an acceptable substitute for actually doing anything.

hikerboy57
06-26-2012, 08:33
me too. she sure posts enough.

I think she's writing a book

max patch
06-26-2012, 08:33
A word of caution WIA...

Right now you post here more than anyone. I mention this because you remind me of a young lady who 10 years ago or so who was planning a thru and posted on Trailplace - which back then was THE site for the AT. She literally asked questions about EVERYTHING. She started different threads on every piece of gear. She started threads on the psychological part of hiking. Literally everything. She was interested in hiking as light as possible. She even managed to get free food from one of the Power Bar type companies.

She arrived at Springer with a 45 pound pack. At Rainbow Springs NC -- about 100 miles up the trail -- she quit.

So internet forums didn't help her. Do they help others? I don't know. They should, but getting information from the internet is like trying to get a drink of water from a fire hydrant. Most of the hikers I meet haven't even heard of WB. Personally, my first thru was pre-internet. Quit my job and did all my "planning" at nite while I worked off my 2 week notice.

I think more time doing "shake down" hikes and less time reading about hiking on the internet would increase ones chances of a successful hike.

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 08:35
I'm still trying to sort out some kind of ratio helpful, kind, friendly people to territorial ********s who care more about peeing on everything to make sure noobs know it's theirs.

Oh, wait...I'm not allowed an opinion or to comment. Oops, my bad.

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 08:37
at some point high ambition became an acceptable substitute for actually doing anything.

But it's really cool that some folks have time to do lots of stuff, yet still make/find time to get on here and be a jerk to people who are just being friendly.

10-K
06-26-2012, 08:40

If you do a search on my username you will see that over a year ago I said I was going to hike the Long Trail on August 3rd, 2012.

My shuttle is scheduled to pick me up at 7:00 AM, August 3rd, 2012.

:)

p.s. Barring injury or family emergency I'll finish that bad boy or die trying.

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 08:41
I think more time doing "shake down" hikes and less time reading about hiking on the internet would increase ones chances of a successful hike.

That's probably true, Max, but at least one of us (me) is in a situation where that isn't possible. Next year, during my vacations, I plan to do exactly that, but it will be limited. I'm in an oddball situation though, so I'm just going to make the best of it come 2014. If I make it, awesome. If I don't, so be it. Between now and then I'll keep looking it over and see what I can learn. I was told this place is great for that, so here I am. So far it has been very helpful. I just have to store the knowledge.

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 08:42
p.s. Barring injury or family emergency I'll finish that bad boy or die trying.

Here's hoping for the finish!

10-K
06-26-2012, 08:43

Abso-positively-lutely.

That should be a banner on the homepage.

hikerboy57
06-26-2012, 08:45
But it's really cool that some folks have time to do lots of stuff, yet still make/find time to get on here and be a jerk to people who are just being friendly. passion is cool that we disagree is cool it's because we care about our trail and backpacking it's respecting each others right to disagree that is sometimes lacking I know that people aren't you here more than I experience on the trail itself but most are here to help

Ladytrekker
06-26-2012, 08:50
I have hiked about 30 miles of AT and over 300 of FT. Love WB its my way to escape when work is crappy. I daydream alot.

10-K
06-26-2012, 08:51
passion is cool that we disagree is cool it's because we care about our trail and backpacking it's respecting each others right to disagree that is sometimes lacking I know that people aren't you here more than I experience on the trail itself but most are here to help

I'm wondering if I should I quit my job to do a thru hike?

I have 6 kids who are very sick and I will lose my insurance, plus I have no savings to pay the mortgage while I'm gone. My wife doesn't want me to go either and she said she'd divorce me if I left.

I'm 50 and have been in the same job for 20 years and can retire next year with full benefits and a pension for life.

I just feel like if I don't do it now I never will... What should I do??????

Blue Jay
06-26-2012, 08:51
As soon as you walk a few feet on the AT without a computer you are successful and no longer just a cyberhiker.

10-K
06-26-2012, 08:52
<my favorite topic>

<second favorite topic: How much money do I need for a thru hike>

hikerboy57
06-26-2012, 09:00

I have 6 kids who are very sick and I will lose my insurance, plus I have no savings to pay the mortgage while I'm gone. My wife doesn't want me to go either and she said she'd divorce me if I left.

I'm 50 and have been in the same job for 20 years and can retire next year with full benefits and a pension for life.

I just feel like if I don't do it now I never will... What should I do??????
bring a gun

10-K
06-26-2012, 09:06
bring a gun

and my dog. oops.. forgot my leash. oh well, no problem. :)

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 10:00
and my dog. oops.. forgot my leash. oh well, no problem. :)

No worries about the leash. Just use the PCT method. No, wait...that's for filtering water. I mean make sure the dog only weighs 7.293 ounces. No, that's not it either. Wait...I'll get it, I promise.

I know! Use the dental floss from your first aid kit! Perfect leash. Sorry it took so long. So much information, such a disorganized alleged brain to sort it.

AAhiker
06-26-2012, 13:06
Maybe you should try to remember which troll you are for the day... The irony that my typo brought about is remarkable.

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 14:30
0/56 (Including this post).

I'm here to learn, maybe find a little fellowship. However, if I see something I can offer information on, even if it's passing secondhand, I won't let any ratio stop me.Tikcuf,that you?

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 14:43
'Tis I, the wannabe hiker formerly known as a screen name that isn't allowed. Maybe I should make a symbol, like Prince did. :p

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 14:50

I just feel like if I don't do it now I never will... What should I do??????Jump! Jump!

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 14:53
'Tis I, the wannabe hiker formerly known as a screen name that isn't allowed. Maybe I should make a symbol, like Prince did. :pCoffee Rules!....I like it! kinda has a nice ring to it,good one.

atmilkman
06-26-2012, 14:57
'Tis I, the wannabe hiker formerly known as a screen name that isn't allowed. Maybe I should make a symbol, like Prince did. :p
I got it. Get a picture of a tick and one of a shirt sleeve cuff. Then you could put "The WhiteBlaze Poster known as [insert pics]"

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 15:02
Coffee Rules!....I like it! kinda has a nice ring to it,good one.

Not to mention flavor.

Coffee Rules!
06-26-2012, 15:02
I got it. Get a picture of a tick and one of a shirt sleeve cuff. Then you could put "The WhiteBlaze Poster known a [insert pics]"

Hehehe I like how you think.

Mags
06-26-2012, 15:06

Yes indeed.

For myself, weekend backpacks in New Hampshire followed by a Long Trail thru-hike the year before my AT hike helped IMMENSELY. Plus, it was fun. :)

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 15:07
I got it. Get a picture of a tick and one of a shirt sleeve cuff. Then you could put "The WhiteBlaze Poster known as [insert pics]"That's actually pretty dam funny,goot won

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 15:12
Yes indeed.

For myself, weekend backpacks in New Hampshire followed by a Long Trail thru-hike the year before my AT hike helped IMMENSELY. Plus, it was fun. :)Gotta agree with that philosophy,many are in-love with the ideation of thru-hike,and really don't have a clue of what it will take to accomplish it.It's hard work,wet dirty,stinky,shake downs are a great way of sorting out whether your just having a romantic feeling,or if you really wanna be out here,excellent advise y'all.

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 15:21

amen. i know people do it and succeed, but how someone who has basically never hiked before ever in their adult life ever shows up at springer thinking they are going to hike the whole trail is beyond me.

Jeff
06-26-2012, 15:24
WIA reminds me of Shlep from a few years ago. She loved the cyberhiker thing...but ended up hiking over 1000 miles before a MRSA infection took her off trail. Later I met her in Vermont where she was introducing her younger brother to long distance hiking.

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 15:25
But it's really cool that some folks have time to do lots of stuff, yet still make/find time to get on here and be a jerk to people who are just being friendly.

well i have a masters degree and a job i love that ive had for 12 years. the girl with the 2 majors and 2 minors is probably still working that same part time job she had when we were in school. if shes lucky. just as some people around here will plan their "hike" long enough to just get bored with it. that would be a really interesting stat- people who come here to start planning a hike that they say they will do in 2 or 3 years... how many of them even ever START toheir hike, forget about finish?

Studlintsean
06-26-2012, 15:40
Roughly 150 (not including repetitive miles)/ 19 posts (including this one). Hopefully many more miles to come...

Sly
06-26-2012, 16:25

Not always a successful thru-hiker, eventually got the miles in. Until recently I was better than 1:1

Velvet Gooch
06-26-2012, 16:37
I think WIA is a pretty cool gal. ehs blows up her post count and doesn't afraid of anything

Toli
06-26-2012, 16:45
and they leave their dog home and also carry a gun for shooting dogs who get brought on the trail.

948.3 unique AT miles for me (in other words places ive hiked multiple times only counted once)

You freakin' DB...

ChinMusic
06-26-2012, 16:56
Jump! Jump!
What is, what does Kris Kross make you wanna do?

Toli
06-26-2012, 17:02
well i have a masters degree and a job i love that ive had for 12 years. the girl with the 2 majors and 2 minors is probably still working that same part time job she had when we were in school. if shes lucky. just as some people around here will plan their "hike" long enough to just get bored with it. that would be a really interesting stat- people who come here to start planning a hike that they say they will do in 2 or 3 years... how many of them even ever START toheir hike, forget about finish?

How many quarters did that take to get out of the crane machine at Wally World??? Bring a gun to shoot dogs??? DB... SideKick has thru'd 3 times... thats 4 times more tha ur mum will ever let you... I'm just sayin'...

RED-DOG
06-26-2012, 17:03
:danceIt don't matter if your a member of WB or not its whats in side you that matters. your hearts got to be in the right place, if its not your not gonna make it no matter what, most people think hiking the AT is 90% physical and 10% emotional, personally i think its 90% emotional 10% physical, you will get used to the physical part but the emotional part will rip at you the entire way. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME-06 & GA-ME 2012 ):dance

WIAPilot
06-26-2012, 19:03
I'm not some wannabe with a flashy website, asking for donations and boasting of how I'm going to hike the AT in 40 Days. I'm like countless of others - someone with a dream and a plan. Someone who will do everything in their power to complete the AT next year and am simply trying to be friendly; get information; and occasionally let a few bullies on this site know when they are being jerks. I live 1800 miles away from the AT and so like Coffee Rules (formerly tikcuf), I can't just hit portions of the AT on the weekend or any other time. But I didn't get to where I am, as a woman pilot and owner of an aviation company, by easily quitting. I'm also not a wide-eyed romantic.

I usually get along with everyone I meet. Especially men, because I'm in a profession dominated by men. 99% of the men I meet are very protective; really great guys; very kind. At the same time, a few guys who are WB Members have left me knowing that I wouldn't hike 2 minutes with you. So take all the wagers you want...

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 19:09
:danceIt don't matter if your a member of WB or not its whats in side you that matters. your hearts got to be in the right place, if its not your not gonna make it no matter what, most people think hiking the AT is 90% physical and 10% emotional, personally i think its 90% emotional 10% physical, you will get used to the physical part but the emotional part will rip at you the entire way. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME-06 & GA-ME 2012 ):danceThe rain to Maine,stays mainly on the brain....like Chinese water torture

kayak karl
06-26-2012, 19:13
WB is a small portion of the AT world. people post and say a lot. i know they really want to hike the trail, but it's all talk till you walk.

Hairbear
06-26-2012, 19:38
what ever the ratio please post on im hungry for info thanks

Sarcasm the elf
06-26-2012, 20:00
WB is a small portion of the AT world. people post and say a lot. i know they really want to hike the trail, but it's all talk till you walk.

Well said, the Internet is a great place to get (mostly) good general advice, especially when it comes to what you should and shouldnt waste your money on at the beginning and info about planning and managing your expectations (ie. avoiding first trip planning mistakes such as "I can do ten miles in under four hours day hiking on flat local trails, so I should be able to do 35 miles in two days backpacking on the A.T." ). That said, you will learn more about hiking on a few weekend or weeklong trips then you will ever learn from behind a computer.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2012, 20:28
I'm not some wannabe with a flashy website, asking for donations and boasting of how I'm going to hike the AT in 40 Days. I'm like countless of others - someone with a dream and a plan. Someone who will do everything in their power to complete the AT next year and am simply trying to be friendly; get information; and occasionally let a few bullies on this site know when they are being jerks. I live 1800 miles away from the AT and so like Coffee Rules (formerly tikcuf), I can't just hit portions of the AT on the weekend or any other time. But I didn't get to where I am, as a woman pilot and owner of an aviation company, by easily quitting. I'm also not a wide-eyed romantic.

I usually get along with everyone I meet. Especially men, because I'm in a profession dominated by men. 99% of the men I meet are very protective; really great guys; very kind. At the same time, a few guys who are WB Members have left me knowing that I wouldn't hike 2 minutes with you. So take all the wagers you want...
you would hike with me if you met me. seriously

WIAPilot
06-26-2012, 20:42

Only if you knocked me unconscious... :cool:

hikerboy57
06-26-2012, 20:48
you have asked some very good question though I've noticed a lot of people here have responded

max patch
06-26-2012, 20:54

Well, he does look like a cave man, :)

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 21:24
How many quarters did that take to get out of the crane machine at Wally World??? Bring a gun to shoot dogs??? DB... SideKick has thru'd 3 times... thats 4 times more tha ur mum will ever let you... I'm just sayin'...

its surprisingly impressive how not 1 but 2 people who read my post about shooting dogs both a) have apparently never seen others who i was making fun of around here post such nonsense and b) are really that piss poor at detecting sarcasm.

a dog and a gun.... one of these i own and the other i do not. care to uess which is which?

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 21:27

ive never been as far south as tucson but the rest of AZ has lots of places to hike. hell, probably better ones than at least half the AT. hiking being the only consideration i'd probably change locations with you in a second. go do some hiking.

rocketsocks
06-26-2012, 21:35

Now that's what I call progress,Awesome...my predictions,good friends one day...yep...truth!

atmilkman
06-26-2012, 21:46
its surprisingly impressive how not 1 but 2 people who read my post about shooting dogs both a) have apparently never seen others who i was making fun of around here post such nonsense and b) are really that piss poor at detecting sarcasm.

a dog and a gun.... one of these i own and the other i do not. care to uess which is which?
Hunh! Now you got me wondering. Are you gonna holster that dog or are you gonna take that gun for a walk. (hike)

max patch
06-26-2012, 21:50
ive never been as far south as tucson but the rest of AZ has lots of places to hike. hell, probably better ones than at least half the AT. hiking being the only consideration i'd probably change locations with you in a second. go do some hiking.

My folks live in Tucson and I can assure you you don't want to go hiking anywhere near there now. I won't even go visit this time of year. Summer in GA here is hot but nothing compared to that.

Sarcasm the elf
06-26-2012, 21:50

That's why I always use an excessive number of smiley's whenever I make reference to the "I'll shoot yar dog" threads :eek::rolleyes::cool::D:banana

For the record I understood the reference loud and clear the first time I read your comment?:sun

Sarcasm the elf
06-26-2012, 21:54

Some of the most beautiful hiking I've ever done was visiting friends that used to live in Tucson. I visited in the early springtime, not sure I'd want to do a ten mile hike there this time of year.

max patch
06-26-2012, 21:56
What is, what does Kris Kross make you wanna do?

Nice pop culture reference. You must wear your clothes backwards.

WIAPilot
06-26-2012, 22:10

Do you know how you feel when members post about weather conditions and places of which they know nothing? Well, here's your sign! Except for summer, I hike at least 3-4 times weekly. Currently, I walk (not hike) 5+ miles daily in the mornings or evenings at my property. Do you??? Like every single day? At the moment, it is 106 and will be for the next few months and so I don't hike until it is cooler. Add to this the fact that I am knee-deep in finishing a plane so that I can financially take off for 6-7 months next year so no mountain trips for me.

ChinMusic
06-26-2012, 22:12

Dave, aka LW, is a nice guy in person. He would knock you out with his charm...........

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 22:21
Do you know how you feel when members post about weather conditions and places of which they know nothing? Well, here's your sign! Except for summer, I hike at least 3-4 times weekly. Currently, I walk (not hike) 5+ miles daily in the mornings or evenings at my property. Do you??? Like every single day? At the moment, it is 106 and will be for the next few months and so I don't hike until it is cooler. Add to this the fact that I am knee-deep in finishing a plane so that I can financially take off for 6-7 months next year so no mountain trips for me.

everyday? no. i think if we average it out though the 120 miles i hiked a couple weeks back might put me in the lead.

and besides, its a dry heat : )

WIAPilot
06-26-2012, 22:27
Dave, aka LW, is a nice guy in person. He would knock you out with his charm...........

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. LW=:mad:

But I promise you, Chin, that if our paths cross - I'd be honored to grab a beer and dinner with you = my treat. :)
There are some amazing guys on this site that it would truly be my privilege to hike with for a few days or grab a drink if they have the time. You are one of them.

WIAPilot
06-26-2012, 22:32
everyday? no. i think if we average it out though the 120 miles i hiked a couple weeks back might put me in the lead.

and besides, its a dry heat : )

Uh yeah. And you get dry heat strokes... A woman from Germany just died here less than a month ago. But come on out and try it. Fool.

moytoy
06-26-2012, 22:37
ChinMusic---do you play the flute?;)

verasch
06-26-2012, 22:38
Nobody fails to hike the AT, they're just now section hikers. :)

ChinMusic
06-26-2012, 22:46
ChinMusic---do you play the flute?;)

sometimes....

ChinMusic
06-26-2012, 22:47
But I promise you, Chin, that if our paths cross - I'd be honored to grab a beer and dinner with you = my treat. :)
There are some amazing guys on this site that it would truly be my privilege to hike with for a few days or grab a drink if they have the time. You are one of them.

I'm a Diet Coke guy, always the desigated hiker.

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 22:50
Uh yeah. And you get dry heat strokes... A woman from Germany just died here less than a month ago. But come on out and try it. Fool.

first off, learn what this- : ) means. yeesh, all your posting you think youd know.

second- i've hiked the inner canyon of the grand canyon in june.

Mountain Mike
06-26-2012, 22:53
It's hard to predict who will finish a thru hike. Of the six hikers that started with me on Springer way back in 88 the one that had the most problems early on was only other one to finish. She didn't even make it to Neels gap & resorted to trail angles in suches. Yet she finished. You can say it's a certain percent physical & mostly mental. I nearly quit with a sprained ankle in VA. Va blues are hard to describe.

WIAPilot
06-26-2012, 23:07
first off, learn what this- : ) means. yeesh, all your posting you think youd know.

second- i've hiked the inner canyon of the grand canyon in june.

Grand Canyon is generally 15 degrees cooler than Tucson or Phoenix. Big difference!! But you have earned a new "trail name" with me = Swami. Because you truly think you know all; see all. When I pass through, I'll be sure to bring your turban - complete with fake ruby.

But enough. I promised I would try to play nice and right now I feel like a kitten just swatting a little rodent around.:D

Sarcasm the elf
06-26-2012, 23:09
Do you know how you feel when members post about weather conditions and places of which they know nothing? Well, here's your sign!

It's probably just as foolish as having 500+ posts since April on a board dedicated to hiking a trail you have virtually no experience on, especially when many of those posts are overly opinionated and pot stirring.

I have nothing personal against you and no interest in getting in an argument with you, but seriously, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 23:11
Grand Canyon is generally 15 degrees cooler than Tucson or Phoenix. Big difference!! But you have earned a new "trail name" with me = Swami. Because you truly think you know all; see all. When I pass through, I'll be sure to bring your turban - complete with fake ruby.

But enough. I promised I would try to play nice and right now I feel like a kitten just swatting a little rodent around.:D

yeah. at the rim, sure. not at the tonto platform or below. look, ive hiked when it was above 100 degrees out. but really thats besides the point.

and theres plenty i know zero about. you wont see me posting in the colorado trail forum, for instance.

WIAPilot
06-26-2012, 23:28
It's probably just as foolish as having 500+ posts since April on a board dedicated to hiking a trail you have virtually no experience on, especially when many of those posts are overly opinionated and pot stirring.

I have nothing personal against you and no interest in getting in an argument with you, but seriously, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Exactly Elf. You shouldn't throw stones because the same could very easily be said about you. What frickin' difference does it make how many posts I have? Are you the Post Police??? I notice that you are frequently on as well and often join in discussions I start. How many "nice" innocent questions like this have I asked (like in this thread) that have turned into a free-for-all where either myself or some other poor schmuck has been slammed or berated for absolutely no reason other than to relieve some guy's monotony at another's expense?? Is this really what this site is about??

I don't try to start these things, but I sure as heck am not going to be bullied. I'm hiking next year. I shouldn't need to justify my mileage at all. Nor am I going to apologize for being opinionated. But this "sage" advice coming from you?? What a joke. Truly the pot calling the kettle black. Like you aren't opinionated?!

But I'll tell you what I will do. I often create posts just to make this a friendlier place - like about how others got into hiking or their best (or worst) AT memory, etc. I'll just give it a rest and we can all discuss thread after thread on gear or bears.

Alligator
06-26-2012, 23:52
Too much nonsense arguing. Closed.