PDA

View Full Version : alcohol stove test

TickPicker
04-18-2005, 21:16
Hey gang. I just tested out my pepsi can alcohol stove. I purchased some kleenstrip s-l-x denatured alcohol at Home Depot as fuel. I placed two or three teaspoons in the center of the can. lit it, it heated up right. then I put my 18 oz stainless steel cup on it with about a cup of water in it. one thing I noticed was, after it heated for about 20 seconds, when I picked up the cup, the bottom of the cup was flaming as well as the stove. is this normal.....it could mean a hot lip,finger,hand,etc.............:banana if you weren't careful.

Steve
The land of the dimpled chad:sun

SGT Rock
04-18-2005, 21:42
Hey gang. I just tested out my pepsi can alcohol stove. I purchased some kleenstrip s-l-x denatured alcohol at Home Depot as fuel. I placed two or three teaspoons in the center of the can. lit it, it heated up right. then I put my 18 oz stainless steel cup on it with about a cup of water in it. one thing I noticed was, after it heated for about 20 seconds, when I picked up the cup, the bottom of the cup was flaming as well as the stove. is this normal.....it could mean a hot lip,finger,hand,etc.............:banana if you weren't careful.

Steve
The land of the dimpled chad:sun
:eek: Danger!

Was there a label or something still stuck to the outside? Was this a stove where the pot/cup sits on top?

RockyTrail
04-19-2005, 08:30
Were you using a pot stand? There is supposed to be an airspace between the top of the pepsi stove and the bottom of your pot/cup.

TickPicker
04-19-2005, 17:16
Were you using a pot stand? There is supposed to be an airspace between the top of the pepsi stove and the bottom of your pot/cup.For the purposes of the test, I just set the small pot on top of the stove. There were two sets of holes, one high on the neck and one lower on the neck. Rock there was no label.

Steve:D

SGT Rock
04-19-2005, 19:40
Probably had some fuel vaporize and stick to the pot from surface tension. When you moved it, then the drops went into the flames and lit. Alcohol can do some funny things like that at times.

RockyTrail
04-20-2005, 08:44
For the purposes of the test, I just set the small pot on top of the stove. There were two sets of holes, one high on the neck and one lower on the neck. Rock there was no label.

Steve:DOne other thing to think about- if you set the pot directly on the pepsi stove w/o a pot stand, and for example there happens to be some crud/residue on the bottom of the pot- the pepsi stove could stick to the pot when you pick it up. This would be really bad because if it falls off there will be flaming alcohol all over your lap(yikes!) :eek:

It's kinda like those drink coasters that stick to the bottom of your glass and then fall off when you hoist the glass...be careful out there!