PDA

View Full Version : What will be your LAST section?

Nutbrown
06-26-2012, 07:46
What are you saving for the last section of your years spent sectioning the AT? I have avoided Harpers Ferry in order to hike to the ATC and get my cert, but might save Maine for last.

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 07:50
either GA or ME. i get a laugh out of sectioners who start with the termini and often wonder at what totally nondescript point along the trail theyll end up finishing.

Berserker
06-26-2012, 08:43
Despite skipping all over the place all my sections have been NOBO. So my plan at this point is to hike the 100 mile wilderness and summit Katahdin on the final section. Since it's still a ways off that is all subject to change of course.

hikerboy57
06-26-2012, 08:50
although I'm doing maine this august I still hope 1 day to do a complete north bound I'd rather and at the titans

10-K
06-26-2012, 08:56
although I'm doing maine this august I still hope 1 day to do a complete north bound I'd rather and at the titans

Did you get your resupply figured out? In Maine I resupplied:

Gorham
Andover
Caratunk
Stratton
Monson
Whitehouse Landing
Abol Bridge

Didn't really need Whitehouse Landing.. Just got some whoopie pies and some crap junk food.

sruby00
06-26-2012, 09:08
i must say it is nice share

hikerboy57
06-26-2012, 09:12
Did you get your resupply figured out? In Maine I resupplied:

Gorham
Andover
Caratunk
Stratton
Monson
Whitehouse Landing
Abol Bridge

Didn't really need Whitehouse Landing.. Just got some whoopie pies and some crap junk food. yeah I wasn't counting on white house for any major resupply but that's pretty much what I was figuring

10-K
06-26-2012, 09:16
The 1 lb cheeseburger at WHL is interesting. It's a big dang burger.

ATSeamstress
06-26-2012, 09:17
Definitely saved Katahdin for last. The Lord willing I'll be there in September!

Kathleen Demers
06-26-2012, 10:13
Much appreciatedhttp://www.50centloseweight.com/jhkh.gif

fudgefoot
06-26-2012, 12:41
Just 3 more sections to go, in the following order:

ME Rt 17 --> Monson
Springer --> NOC
Monson --> Katahdin

Hope to finish in the next 2 years.

Namaste
06-26-2012, 13:21
I haven't given that much thought but to answer now probably Tennessee. I've climbed Katahdin many times then hiked all of Maine in one shot summer 2008 so I'm done with Maine. I usually base my sections/trips on convenience so I never really know where I'll be next.

trippclark
06-26-2012, 14:15
I have been doing the sections in linear order since Georgia in 2000. So my last section will end on Katahdin. It is far out there, but my tentative plan calls for Monson to Katahdin on September 1 -12, 2020. This is the only future section, outside of my fall trip this year, that I have specific dates assigned to.

burger
06-26-2012, 16:51
I'm hoping to finish the AT on Katahdin in a couple of years. If all goes as planned, that will be the end of my Triple Crown, too. It seems like a fitting climax to the AT. And based on what I've done, my only other options would be Caratunk or somewhere between Newfound Gap and Waynesboro, none of which seem appropriate for ending a TC.

1azarus
06-26-2012, 17:27
scheduled 5.2 miles at Baxter sith my daughter for September 7th and done. very excited.

Del Q
06-26-2012, 20:16
By "Dumb Luck", my 20 year old son talked me into doing Springer and Katahdin in the same year.........live outside Philly, typically South in the Spring, North in the Fall..........accelerating progress

Sarcasm the elf
06-26-2012, 20:26
What are you saving for the last section of your years spent sectioning the AT? I have avoided Harpers Ferry in order to hike to the ATC and get my cert, but might save Maine for last.

I hope that I never have a LAST section of the trail :rolleyes: that I hike, but I agree that I would like save BSP and Katahdin for the completion of my full section hike. (some time in the next decade :datz). In reality I fit in whatever sections I can whenever I have time to. I will have probably hiked Connecticut and Southern Mass over ten times by the time I have finished hiking The whole trail in sections.

On a related note the problem with section hiking is that every time you finish a section, the next unhiked trailhead is even farther from your house!:D

Sarcasm the elf
06-26-2012, 20:26
scheduled 5.2 miles at Baxter sith my daughter for September 7th and done. very excited.
Awesome, congratulations in advance!

Kerosene
06-26-2012, 21:10
scheduled 5.2 miles at Baxter sith my daughter for September 7th and done. very excited.That's fantastic. My daughter and cousin have agreed to summit Katahdin with me in 3 years. Here's the schedule for my last 3 section hikes:

9/12: Pinkham Notch to Rangeley
9/13: Rangeley to Monson
9/14: Monson to Katahdin

I was hoping to finish up in 2013, 40 years after my first AT section hike (DWG to Unionville), but I shortened my annual hike a few years ago to accommodate my newbie daughter (who is now hooked on backpacking).

burger
06-26-2012, 21:25
Why do so many folks start/end sections at Monson? Caratunk is WAY more accessible as a section hiker. When I got to Caratunk a couple of years ago, it was no trouble to get a ride down the highway to Waterville. There's no easy way to get to Monson.

Kerosene
06-27-2012, 09:15
Thanks for the insight, Burger. For me, it was primarily spacing and what I can cover in an extended week (Pinkham Notch to Rangeley: 99 miles; Rangeley to Monson: 103 miles; Monson to Katahdin: 118 miles). Of course, there's always the possibility that I may have to bail on a hike, which screws up my section planning, but I'll keep Caratunk in mind.

fredmugs
06-28-2012, 02:36
I just finished my last AT section and decided to go out with a bang by doing the 27.7 miles from Franconia to Crawford Notch.

hikerboy57
06-28-2012, 06:04
I just finished my last AT section and decided to go out with a bang by doing the 27.7 miles from Franconia to Crawford Notch.its a great place to finish
Its whete my journry began in1976
Congrats!but now what?

Bear-bait
06-28-2012, 06:25
I just finished the 100 mile wilderness. My original plan was to summit Katahdin at the end of it, but halfway through my hike I realized, that having done Springer earlier this fall, and many other of the spectacular areas of the trail, I might be leaving myself an ending in an unspectacular area, if I finished Katahdin, so I chose to leave that as my end point.

steve43
06-28-2012, 17:22
My last section will be from Hot Springs, NC to Fontana. I've been putting off hiking through the park so that I can do it when the tourists are at a minimum, so I want to do it after Labor day some time.

fredmugs
06-29-2012, 13:09
its a great place to finish
Its whete my journry began in1976
Congrats!but now what?

PCT! Did 180 miles last year and I'm doing most of the PCT/JMT in Sept. Walking without a tunnel and a constant view is much nicer.

RockDoc
06-30-2012, 12:41
I'll finish in Hot Springs, after doing Tennessee, next year or the year after.
Trying to finish on the 40 year plan, began in earnest in 1974 with 1000 miles (HF to Andover, ME). Turned 18 on the trail.
The last few years we've flown east 3000 miles from Seattle five times to do sections, including the 100 mile wilderness and Katahdin twice (once to do it with thru-hiking friends we met in NC). Did several other sections two or three times just because I like them so much.