PDA

View Full Version : PCT bound

Ridge
04-19-2005, 00:00
It's 11:50 on my watch, my wife has just told me some crap about this is the surprize birthday present she has been dieing to give me. I am now somewhere 405 miles from the PCT trailhead I don't know if I going to hike or to view. I've just been told I'm hiking the entire PCT or its a divorce for me. Hum, I got to think about this one. After I hiked the ATC 5 yrs ago I promised the world to conquer, well I think, I think, she's trying to make me do it. I've been influenzed by heineken all the way. Her brother has access to a lear jet and this crap has been planned for months. Im on my pc with my usual modem/verizon connection... I need all the help I can get from the whiteblaze.net crowd to get me thru this. I need my sierra zip woodburning stove and all my other stuff. I'll never make it without it. help // later

A-Train
04-19-2005, 00:05
What are you talking about? Forced to hike a long distance trail?! Sounds awesome. And how did you hike the ATC? Sounds like a case of drunk typing. Put the beer down...step away from the computer :D

saimyoji
04-19-2005, 00:12
Put the beer down...step away from the computer

Funny, I have the same sign above my computer. :datz

Ridge
04-19-2005, 00:29
My soooo beautiful wife has arranged a PCT hike for me. This is so great, I think, I will let you know in a few days when I'm out of water and shi# out of luck. The ATC thru hike will always be number 1 when it comes to hikes. I live near it and its always been like a "Moon Shot" for me. I made it 5 yrs ago and itl seems my bug ass mouth has gotten me into a PCT hike. Im ready damn it. I can do it. I just want to know where to start. Point me in the right direction. Ridge out,

Pencil Pusher
04-19-2005, 00:29
Resistance is futile, Ridge. We are coming to get you.

Ridge
04-19-2005, 00:33
In the next few days If I can get internet access. I'll be needing some critical info. Like "WHERE IS THE DAMN WATER" I know this, because I have read before that the initial trail has problems with water. You guys help me and I promise I'll do all I can to help you on your next long adventure.

Ridge
04-19-2005, 00:39
Ive just been informed that I am on my way to Campo? The Mexican Border and the trailhead for the PCT is there, I feel like im in the Twilight Zone or something. Damn this feels good and then I think of the miles ahead? I will never forget the ones I've left behind. I will find me a sinorita and hike ahead strong. Please don't forget me ATC, to the GATC, I was suppose to help cut trees next weekend...sorry. I'll report back.

Ridge
04-19-2005, 00:54
This is beyond wild. My wife just gave me this PCT hiking trip, she must have a boyfriend, and I am no more prepared than anyone to do it. I am now signing off and going to the PCT official site and to read some notes from a fellow AT thru hiker Yogi, I know she did it. I need all the help I can get. I'll do this, I know it aint as hard as the AT.

Ridge
04-19-2005, 12:25
We sent Ridge packing, with his cousin from Calf,(not sure of his trail name) on the PCT. We hope they make it. We (his wife, kids and cousin) have been planning this surprise hike for a while. He's been planning on doing this for several years. I'll come back here to give any updates or to ask for help/info.

They should already be heading north out of Campo,CA. They have no Cell Phone, just phone cards etc. signed "hiker wife"

Mags
04-19-2005, 12:27
This is beyond wild. My wife just gave me this PCT hiking trip, she must have a boyfriend, and I am no more prepared than anyone to do it. I am now signing off and going to the PCT official site and to read some notes from a fellow AT thru hiker Yogi, I know she did it. I need all the help I can get. I'll do this, I know it aint as hard as the AT.

First, got RIGHT NOW to www.backcountry.net and join PCT-L

You can read the archives:
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/

Next, if you can still get it, get Yogi's handbook at:
www.pcthandbook.com

You'll need to start cracking to get ready!

Also the PCT ain't as hard as the AT? Hmm...you may be in for a surprise. :) Which is harder..I can't say. To say any of the long trails is "easy" (or easier than the other) is folly..

Finally, can your wife talk to my on again/off again/on again/off again/ (and maybe now on again?) girlfriend? :) A point of contention is the long walks. It does not help that we tend to fall in and out of our relationship for the past year or so because we are attracted to each other quite a bit. But, that's another thread for a different forum. :D

MOWGLI
04-19-2005, 12:30
We sent Ridge packing, with his cousin from Calf,(not sure of his trail name) on the PCT. We hope they make it. We (his wife, kids and cousin) have been planning this surprise hike for a while. He's been planning on doing this for several years. I'll come back here to give any updates or to ask for help/info.

They should already be heading north out of Campo,CA. They have no Cell Phone, just phone cards etc. signed "hiker wife"

Thanks for the update! Just one question... when he finished off the bottle of Tequila, did he eat the worm? :D

Nean
04-19-2005, 13:06
It almost sounds as if Ridge is having some fun with us! But heck, if he can do the ATC, the PCT should be a walk in the park as I understand it is much easier overall and the so called water/resupply problem is not. :) I'm sure that each year/ person is different and this year it will probably be much more difficult to do a nobo PCT hike. That being said, you might want to flip flop soon as the snow this year in the Sierras is way above normal! All you really need imo is the guidebooks and the databook and town guide come in handy too! GOOD LUCK!!!

chris
04-19-2005, 14:05
It almost sounds as if Ridge is having some fun with us! But heck, if he can do the ATC, the PCT should be a walk in the park as I understand it is much easier overall and the so called water/resupply problem is not. :)

Yes, the AT is much harder, and much more scenic. Do everyone a favor and stay on the east coast where things are so much better. You've already been told what you're missing, so there is no reason to come and find out for yourself.

A-Train
04-19-2005, 15:22
Chris: I'm pretty sure Nean was being facetious and I'm pretty sure he is a 3 time triple crowner...

chris
04-19-2005, 16:00
Chris: I'm pretty sure Nean was being facetious and I'm pretty sure he is a 3 time triple crowner...

Never heard of Nean. But, I'm not an expert in these things.

If the post was being made in jest, I apologize for taking it too seriously.

Rain Man
04-19-2005, 18:51
Don't need to be wasting time reading no posts about the PCT. If they want PCT, then they need to start a web site for the PCT and leave us alone.

:(

Pencil Pusher
04-19-2005, 18:58
Don't need to be wasting time reading no posts about the PCT. If they want PCT, then they need to start a web site for the PCT and leave us alone.

Damn skippy straight. I get so tired of those fools that post non-AT stuff:rolleyes:

saimyoji
04-19-2005, 19:48
Especially when they do it in the "Other Trails" section. :datz

MOWGLI
04-19-2005, 20:21

Jeepers Rain Man. The AT is a great trail, but it ain't the be-all & end-all. There are so many great trails out there. Why not learn about some of them from time to time?

Pencil Pusher
04-19-2005, 23:09
I thought Rain Man was joking... Otherwise, how many different ways can folks discuss the same stuff? Variety is the spice of life.

Nean
04-20-2005, 08:09
Don't worry Chris, I'm not offended and apologize for having a wee bit of fun (ie :) ) with my advice. Lots of folks I know from the NW seem to jump off the deep end in a hurry; all that cloudy weather I reckon. I do have more PCT miles than A.T. miles (doesn't matter) and do love the PCT longtimeGI! ;) (matters) Peace friend, Live Love Laugh LETITBE

Rain Man
04-20-2005, 10:48
Jeepers Rain Man. The AT is a great trail, but it ain't the be-all & end-all. There are so many great trails out there. Why not learn about some of them from time to time?

I agree with you Mowgli... and there are web sites for doing just that. This is an AT site for AT enthusiasts. I don't come here to read irrelevant stuff about the PCT nor to see photos of Alaskan glaciers, any more than I'd visit the Atlanta Braves site to read irrelevant stuff about soccer in Germany.

Sorry, that's just the way I feel. I like the focus, not the shotgun approach. I was not joking about leaving the irrelevant non-AT stuff off WhiteBlaze.net.

Also, I do apologize if my preferences offend or step on any sensitive toes. Sincerely. Just voicing my opinion. That's all.

Anyway, it's not my vote that counts! LOL

If WhiteBlaze is gonna be some amorphous, generic, watered-down hiking site, does that mean I start posting photos and trip reports from the Savage Gulf, Virgin Falls, the Big South Fork, Radnor Lake State Natural Area, and my last family beach vacation all over WhiteBlaze? I mean, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, correct?
:dance
Heck, does this make me some kind of purist??? YIKES!!!

Rain:sunMan

Mags
04-20-2005, 10:59
If WhiteBlaze is gonna be some amorphous, generic, watered-down hiking site, does that mean I start posting photos and trip reports from the Savage Gulf, Virgin Falls, the Big South Fork, Radnor Lake State Natural Area, and my last family beach vacation all over WhiteBlaze? I mean, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, correct?

You realize you are having this argument on an OTHER TRAILS forum. One forum out of how many AT related forums?

Don't think that waters down the AT content at all.

If you feel like posting trip reports from OTHER TRAILS than this OTHER TRAILS forum would be great. If you look at the photo gallery, see fair amount of photos from other trails as well.

If you don't like to read about OTHER TRAILS then don't read the OTHER TRAILS forum. :)

MOWGLI
04-20-2005, 11:26
I agree with you Mowgli... and there are web sites for doing just that. This is an AT site for AT enthusiasts. I don't come here to read irrelevant stuff about the PCT nor to see photos of Alaskan glaciers, any more than I'd visit the Atlanta Braves site to read irrelevant stuff about soccer in Germany.

If WhiteBlaze is gonna be some amorphous, generic, watered-down hiking site, does that mean I start posting photos and trip reports from the Savage Gulf.....

Well a couple of things. There's a nice shot of me taken at Savage Gulf in the gallery. :D

The flipside of this argument is pretty simple. If we really LOVE the AT, it would be irresponsible of us not to encourage folks to hike elsewhere from time to time. The AT receives a tremendous amount of use, and there are plenty of other connecting trails, and non-connecting trails where we can recreate. Lets not lose sight of that.

Personally, I loved my thru-hike, but I've been there - done that. I want to see new places. Meet new friends. And experience a trail that is not as crowded and developed as the AT. For the life of me, I can't understand why some folks keep coming back year after year to the AT, but that's OK. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

Plus, trails like the Bartram, Benton MacKaye, Mountains to Sea, and so on offer great opportunities for folks to have fun, hone their skills, and hike.

In other words, it's all good.

Tha Wookie
04-20-2005, 12:35
Well a couple of things. There's a nice shot of me taken at Savage Gulf in the gallery. :D

The flipside of this argument is pretty simple. If we really LOVE the AT, it would be irresponsible of us not to encourage folks to hike elsewhere from time to time. The AT receives a tremendous amount of use, and there are plenty of other connecting trails, and non-connecting trails where we can recreate. Lets not lose sight of that.

Personally, I loved my thru-hike, but I've been there - done that. I want to see new places. Meet new friends. And experience a trail that is not as crowded and developed as the AT. For the life of me, I can't understand why some folks keep coming back year after year to the AT, but that's OK. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

Plus, trails like the Bartram, Benton MacKaye, Mountains to Sea, and so on offer great opportunities for folks to have fun, hone their skills, and hike.

In other words, it's all good.
I couldn't agree more.

Most of the hikers on this site that I know hike to hike, not just to be on the AT. And many, like myself, started on the AT, and then that big AT community moved out into other lands, all of which are well worth discussing just as the AT is.

There will be site that gives equal share to other trails. Right now, only www.trailforums.com does that. Sooner or later, someone will make a good forum site that is not about the AT but more about "the American LD trail network". Maybe AHS can get some funding for the development?

The AT is great, but is just the cornerstone of an American LD trails education. So until that other site is made, Rain Man, you'll just have go through the agony of skipping over threads in the "other trails" section.

The AT veterans will move on to bigger and brighter places sooner or later.

Nean
04-20-2005, 13:12
This might not be the thread for it but it seems that threads tend to wander anyways... I wanted to say something to the folks who don't understand why some hike the A.T. over and over without expanding their hiking horizons. I didn't understand at first either but now I think I do. They are not lost or searching, they have found what they love-thier passion. It must be like finding that special someone- there's no need to look futher. To me these folks are very fortunate to have found what they love to do- and do it.

MOWGLI
04-20-2005, 14:01
This might not be the thread for it but it seems that threads tend to wander anyways... I wanted to say something to the folks who don't understand why some hike the A.T. over and over without expanding their hiking horizons. I didn't understand at first either but now I think I do. They are not lost or searching, they have found what they love-thier passion. It must be like finding that special someone- there's no need to look futher. To me these folks are very fortunate to have found what they love to do- and do it.

Thanks for the insight Nean. I didn't mean my comment as a knock on anybody. My personality is one of natural curiosity. I like to see new things, new places. Some folks prefer familiarity. Then again, the AT is different in all seasons, and different again depending upon your direction of travel. Gotta love it!

Sly
04-20-2005, 17:30
<delete><delete><delete> :datz

<help, I'm being censored... c-e-n-s-o-r-e-d> :eek:

The West is the best! :dance

Pencil Pusher
04-21-2005, 00:59
Now I know who deleted most of my climbing photos!:datz All kidding aside, it was this mentality in the photo gallery which I respected enough to not complain and just let it slide.

Rain Man
04-21-2005, 10:53
You realize you are having this argument on an OTHER TRAILS forum. One forum out of how many AT related forums? ...

If you don't like to read about OTHER TRAILS then don't read the OTHER TRAILS forum. :)

YIKES.... right you are. I did not realize this was the OTHER TRAILS forum. My bad. Confession is good for the hiking soul too, isn't it?

And, I do have the "mentality" as someone put it, that WhiteBlaze.net is for the Appalachian Trail. Aren't y'all glad I'm not a Moderator?!!!

Tha Wookie
04-21-2005, 13:44
YIKES.... right you are. I did not realize this was the OTHER TRAILS forum. My bad. Confession is good for the hiking soul too, isn't it?

And, I do have the "mentality" as someone put it, that WhiteBlaze.net is for the Appalachian Trail. Aren't y'all glad I'm not a Moderator?!!!

...Well at least you were right about it being watered down with misplaced statements. just kidding, it's all good!

:D

Ridge
04-22-2005, 03:35
Ridge and Cousin(now trailnamed "ChoppedSteak"or CS for short) are south of Lake Morena,CA not even 30 miles into the hike, At this rate they should finish the trail sometimes in 2008. CS has been so named because of the state of his heels after only short milage into the hike. CS has been walking in camp type shoes at a snail's pace. Never start a hike like this in new boots! There was even talk of bail out. I talked tonight to Ridge and the situation is not too good because of CS's condition. Temps have been cool to cold at night and nice during the day. CS doesn't want to quit and Ridge will not leave him. CS had basically quit his job before taking this trip and says he could never live down quiting. But from the sound of things a MD is probably the next step. I hate this, but this junk happens. I couldn't get my hubby on a 12 step program at AA so I figured about a 5 million step program might do just as good. So far he hasn't had a drop, and thats a miracle. Water supply have been good but a lot of equipment changes/adjustments have to be made at Lake Morena before or if they continue. I'm out of here. hikerwife

Nean
04-22-2005, 13:18
Get Choppedsteak outta those boots and into some sneakers, then get him up north a few days to heal while Ridge hikes to him. No need for both to quit. Keep those blisters clean, medicated, drained and dry. Sounds as if your husband could really benifit from this hike and you sound like a great wife to help him. Don't give up!!

Ridge
04-22-2005, 20:19
Get Choppedsteak outta those boots and into some sneakers, then get him up north a few days to heal while Ridge hikes to him. No need for both to quit. Keep those blisters clean, medicated, drained and dry. Sounds as if your husband could really benifit from this hike and you sound like a great wife to help him. Don't give up!!
CS is walking in some sort of camp shoes, duct tape also being used. An option mentioned is to leave CS behind to heal, Ridge hike ahead and can take a day off here and there untill CS catchs back up. They will use their cell phone voice mails by way of phone cards to keep up with each other. I'll here from them again if/when they reach Lake Morena,CA. CS will probably have to see an MD.

Ridge
04-27-2005, 16:31
I would like to change my husbands title to this thread to "PCT bound...I love my wife" he (Ridge) was intoxicated and I'm a little ashamed. I talked to him and cs this a.m. they are somewhere near Mt Laguna,CA, not sure of their mileage, but still behind any normal schedule. CS has healed a lot and Ridge(wlith his own pains) is trying to salvage the trip for all. I will not ask him to compare it to any other trail (the AT and other trails east of the Mississippi are #1 with him, he's hiked a lot out west, so I kinda know), instead I ask about other hikers, towns etc. He can't wait to get into the high Sierra's, as long as the snow levels are OK. He tells CS the PCT will help condition him for the AT. Woops, is that a trail comparison? I talked to him about doing a trail journal on trailjournals.com, he says he'll think about it but I know he probably will not do it. hikerwife

Ridge
04-27-2005, 17:01
I just went to the books/maps to get some kind of idea of their progress. It really is worse than I thought. They are only averaging about, I can't believe it and I hope I wrong, 5 miles per day....Geez they should be doing 3-4 times that. OH OH my. Now I'm really concerned, they will certanly have to get well and start hyperhiking to make up, and soon. I hope attrol can change this thread title. hikerwife

Nean
04-27-2005, 22:13
As long as they are hiking, it really should not matter where they end up- IMHO

plodder
04-28-2005, 05:38
As long as they are hiking, it really should not matter where they end up- IMHO
How did you get to this point of "calmness?" I will try to remember...

Nean
04-28-2005, 12:12
TIME, not miles, in the woods/mountains:sun

Spirit Walker
04-28-2005, 14:19
Actually, you should be happy that they are going so slow. This is a very high snow year on the PCT. Had they been doing 20 mile days, they would have reached the Sierras before snowmelt. This way there is the chance that some of the snow will have melted off before they get there. The snowy sections in southern California will either have melted out or be so well trodden by other hikers that getting through will be much easier. Tell him to take his time. Most hikers find that hard to do because the trail is so dry (and so easy to walk) but if he is able to manage water, he is actually better off starting slowly and getting to the Sierras late. He can always flip to Manning in August or September if he finds himself too far behind schedule.

Ridge
04-28-2005, 15:06
Actually, you should be happy that they are going so slow. This is a very high snow year on the PCT...
I've been checking the weather in the Sierra's. I was surprised to find that Kings Canyon N.F. has over 3 feet of snow and was expecting more last night above the 6000' level. I hope you are right and that they can eventually make up the time. Hikers must be having a heck of a year in the higher elevations with all the snow. I wonder if any of the PCT is closed in these areas? hikerwife

chris
04-28-2005, 17:41
This year there are going to be a lot of hikers sitting and waiting for snow to get to reasonable levels in the Sierra. The Kick Off was packed with hikers this year, and I suspect that a lot of them will find themselves at Kennedy Meadows in late May. At this point, they'll have to decide how strong they are in snow and how much they are williing to suffer. Personally, I'd try to time things in such a way to get to Kennedy Meadows in late June.

Except for fires, it is very rare than anything in the west actually closes. Trails wash out, bridges get swept away, etc. But, this just means sane people won't try to hike those sections. Fires are different, but there isn't anything like the rangers closing the Sierra as they do at Baxter.

Ridge
04-29-2005, 01:39
...there isn't anything like the rangers closing the Sierra as they do at Baxter..The Baxter S.P. rangers closing the park has always been a sore subject to my husband and to some of his thru-hiker buddies. They (the rangers) claim that keeping it open all year would = many more rescues and is too dangerous to all.

I wonder if the PCT is even passable (now) over the Sierra's? I may call out to one of the ranger's station out there and try to get a comment about the trail situation. I may be able to find something on their sites. If anyone has some info on this post it here. Thanks, hikerwife

chris
04-29-2005, 10:15
The snow in the Sierras isn't the problem. One can deal with snow if one has enough time, skill, and endurance. And the right kind of gear. What makes them impassable at times are the creek fords. Hikers going in in early June might have a rather nasty time of it.

Nean
04-29-2005, 11:22
You may want to give the PCTA a call. It's tollfree unless that changed. sorry I don't have the #

jlb2012
04-29-2005, 12:58
You may want to give the PCTA a call. It's tollfree unless that changed. sorry I don't have the #

contact info from PCTA.org :

Mailing Address:
5325 Elkhorn Blvd., PMB #256
Sacramento, CA 95842-2526

Office Address:
5250 Date Avenue, Suite L
Sacramento, CA 95841

Phone: (916) 349-2109
Fax: (916) 349-1268
mailto:[email protected]

Pencil Pusher
04-29-2005, 13:24
Ridge aka hikerwife drinks too much Mad Dog 20/20 before posting here... :eek:

Ridge
04-30-2005, 00:44
888-728-7245 but is taking reports on trail conditions and not giving any.

Ridge
04-30-2005, 00:47
contact info from PCTA.org :.....
Thanks HogOnIce, I called the number you left. Currently the "trail conditions" are "not available". BTW their toll free# is 888-728-7245. hikerwife

Ridge
05-05-2005, 04:54
Just got off phone with my husband (Ridge) and his cousin (Chopped Steak aka CS). They are just passed Chariot Canyon, CA. They have been hiking some at night using their LED headlamps. According to them, their per day mileage has increased somewhat to around 8 miles. Both are having some back pains which is nothing compared to the water procurement problems they are having. Traveling slow and locating water sources make for a very bad combination. They are carrying all the water they can. The weather has been good, they are anticipating rain/showers the rest of the week. Nights cool, daytimes nice to warm. They are trying to get to Warner Sgs to take some time to regroup/rethink and try to determine a better plan or, sadly, possibly abort the mission. They said it will take another 3-4 days to get there. CS is still having a lot of boot/toe/foot problems. CS will be getting his old pair of trail shoes at the next maildrop, somewhere in/near Warner Spgs. I hope this will help, but its still looking really bad for the crew. My hubby can't really talk frankly when he calls because CS is there with him, but CS claims he should be trailnamed "Anchor" because of his hiking style, SLOW. They seem to be in fairly good spirits, considering. Maildrops are coming from CS's family in Loma Linda,CA I've been sending a few items to them to, inturn, send to my hubby. It takes way too long for stuff to get there from GA, makes it difficult trying to time the maildrops. hikerwife

Nean
05-05-2005, 07:38
If 8 miles is a big day maybe they should consider getting off. The water is there, but you have to be able to walk to it. There are better places to go camping than southern californication. Why doesn't CS get off the trail for a few days to heal? Is hiking the trail w/o CS an option? At their current rate, snow will be a problem in the Sierras- next winter. While I wish them the best, it sounds like they have no business on the pct. Why not hike the AT? :-?

Ridge
05-05-2005, 11:06
... While I wish them the best, it sounds like they have no business on the pct. Why not hike the AT? :-?
I'm not sure what the options are for them. I guess that will be decided at Warner Springs. In this situation the AT would have been better, just for the access to medical and water. Not because the PCT is more difficult, CS will maybe pick up speed after he picks up his old shoes. hikerwife

Ridge
05-23-2005, 01:44
My husband and CS are back to the trail and are in Warner Springs (about 130 or so miles from start). They had taken a least a week or more off when they got here. Chopped Steak and Ridge was picked up by some of CS's friends and driven back north to Loma Linda, CS's home. There CS was able to see his doctor about his feet and some other problems, after much needed R&R they have decided to return to the trail and attempt to carry on. Hopefully much lost time and miles will be made up. My husband is not in very good spirits and I know something is bothering him. The weather has been good but water has been in short supply. He has stopped trying to schedule stops and mail drops because of all the delays and happenings. They are getting what they need along the trail and from trail angels. I've got my fingers crossed that things will get better. hikerwife

MedicineMan
05-23-2005, 03:34
but the only taste of the PCT was when my oldest daughter and I did a small overlapping section of the Wonderland Trail near Ranier....that taste left me stunned.

Ridge
07-05-2005, 00:35
My husband has asked me to not post their exact location because of some strange happenings that have occured along the PCT. In fact, he is now bouncing supplies to yonder pickup places. Seems they have had some sort of altercation with a local, hubby said this guy was trying to rip them off and a fight broke out. Husband and his cousin fear he may return with some help and cause trouble. I will say that their speed has picked up, doing 12+ miles per day. They are still behind by miles. Both are holding up good. CS still has feet problems but getting better. This altercation happened a couple weeks ago and was at a community near the PCT. Ridge says he wished he had not given out their trail-names to this guy. He never had any problems like this when he did the AT. Has anyone else had any problems when on the PCT? I would like to report this to the PCT Org. or to local law officials, but my husband says to drop it. I've said enough. Hikerwife

Sly
07-05-2005, 07:52
Has anyone else had any problems when on the PCT?

Problems on the PCT are about as frequent as any other trail, which means rare. The best they can do is keep hiking.

Their progress seems exceedingly slow. Not only is it graded a stock trail, because the natural sources are so spread out (as are the caches) unless you're carrying copious amounts of water it's almost impossible to hike only 12 miles a day in the southern section. On top of that they have to carry extra food as the options for resupply are further apart, then say, the the AT. A vicious circle?

Well, anyway, best of luck to them.

Ridge
07-05-2005, 23:46
Maybe because of their slow speed they have had plenty of problems. The only problem(a good problem) he had on the AT was that the locals or townspeople where always wanting to give him a lift, etc, etc. The only serious complaints when hiking the AT concerned hikers with their dog(s), esp in shelters.
As for water on the PCT, I know my husbands Sierra Zip wood burning stove has come in handy melting snow and ice for water. The speed should, hopefully, pick up once (if) they get thru the Sierra's. My husband made the statement to me that the PCT doesn't come close to the friendly people, both on(hikers/angels) and off the trail(townspeople), he experienced on the AT. The scenery (probably the only thing keeping him going) on the PCT is spectacular which makes him want to "see whats next". He has also complained about the horses that are allowed on the trail, and the crap they leave.

Sly
07-06-2005, 00:22
Something doesn't sound right here.

Nearly every town, especially in southern California has some kind of trail angel or accomodations for hikers. You can get free lodging in homes/hostels in atleast four towns. Water was left for hikers in atleast a dozen places. If you gave him Yogi's book, you and him, should know that.

If the few horses and trail apples in southern California are bothering him wait til he gets to Oregon and Washington.

About three hundred thru-hikers have had to pass them so far, yet no mention?

Ridge
07-06-2005, 01:14
I think maybe my hubby is mostly peed because of the slow pace they are at. His cousin has really slowed them up, so he finds something else to fuss about, trying to spare feelings.

Nean
07-06-2005, 11:01
Well I for one didn't think they would be out this long. That they are is great and should stay out as long as they can and not worry how far they go. To me, just being out there is the reason, not point B. Do they look like hikers? because I have a different view of the people and places and all I can figure is maybe they are putting out some wrong signals. Are they drinking too much and putting people off that way? I guess that they aren't far enough north yet to have experienced all the nice people and places that await them. Keep it up guys- its worth it.

saimyoji
07-26-2008, 19:00
3 years later....did they ever finish?:rolleyes: