PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

Owf
06-26-2012, 12:51
Hello Hangers :) I've got a Hennessey Hammock, and I've watched all of their videos on set-up...I've tried different techniques, but it seams that every time I set up my hammock, it looks just fine from the outside. But then, when I get inside of it, the walls seem to sit on me..it's rather claustrophobic. I mean, I can deal with it, but I suppose that I imagined that hammocks would be a little less enclosed, so I must be doing something wrong with setup. If any of you guys have a hennessey, you know that there are the two strings to tie down for the fly, and then two for the actual sides of the hammock. Tom Hennessey, who I bought the thing from at trail days, recommended clipping the strings for the sides of the hammock (there's a small clip at the end of each one) to the strings for the fly...I do this, and still, there's sag in them and the walls of the hammock just eat me.

I feel like a caterpillar in a cacoon when I'm in it sometimes. I've tried different angles for tying the fly out, tried tying all the strings separately instead of clipping them together, I've basically just fooled around with it. But..considering a tent due to this. Any suggestions?

Deadeye
06-26-2012, 14:26
Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong - hammocks are a bit claustrophobic. I find it less so when you detach the fly from the hammock and set it up separately (i.e. higher).

Monkeywrench
06-26-2012, 14:29
Are you lying in the hammock the right way? Your head should be to the left of center-line, and your feet to the right. Also, make sure you aren't hanging the hammock too tight. Try loosening up the suspension lines a bit.

There really isn't a lot of room inside a hammock, though it sounds like you're being squeezed more than you should be.

Owf
06-26-2012, 22:07
Deadeye, that's a great suggestion. As for the way that I'm setting up now, the fly is attached to the hammock, it may help if I move it higher. Monkeywrench, I do lay diagonally..and that does help, but still, I feel crunched. According to Tom, the way that the hennessey is supposed to be set up is different then other hammocks because you do have to pull it super tight to begin with, while with other hammocks, you leave some slack. I'm not sure why he recommends this, but perhaps I'll try to set it up like every other hammock. Thanks for the replies, guys!

WalksInDark
07-02-2012, 22:20
Another alternative (which I regularly use) is to put an inflatable pad into the hammock. Yes, your headroom will certainly shrink down appreciably. No you won't strangle on your ridge line (LOL).

Hairbear
07-03-2012, 05:54
frustrating isnt it no place for your right leg, sides closing in, wiggle a little and your on a pile of everything. the way i overcame this problem is as follows .look at the ridge line see how it runs through two loops in the ends of the hammock.cut head end free making sure you cut ridge line not loop.we will call this ridge line a.make sure that the pocket thing on the line stays on this side.put a load bearing beaner in the head end loop.(can run it through the sting loop but this is an eventual point of friction and will wear loop).now replace ridge line with double length ridge line or do what i did and tie an extra piece of paracord to the green line already there.run this new line back through the weight bearing beaner. this now becomes ridge line b.take ridge line b and tie a taught line hitch in the end of line b around line a you now have a sliding knot that rides along ridge line a that you can easily reach from opening.when slid in one direction ridge tight (should be no tighter than what you can move into a z shape with your thumb and fore fingers)other direction no ridge line at all.now the fun part.with no ridge line the hammock can be flipped over lay on bottom now top, no bug net no lack of space for your feet open sky.you now have two hammocks in one.if the bugs are a p. i. t. a. sleep inside .if not sleep like me youll like it.suggestion 2 the material used for hammock is said to be able to stretch 27 percent,it will im sure tom wouldnt recomend this but i hung my hammock and put 270 lbs of floor tile in the foot box area and left it there for 3 days not only did it stretch it out but it showed no damage to hammock at all.yeah im a newby to white blaze but even newbies can be thinkers .good luck dont tent it the comfort is there you just have to find it in your own way. good luck (use a weight baring beaner in loop so you can use ridge to pull yourself around in it)

TechnoD
07-03-2012, 06:02
Hello Hangers :) I've got a Hennessey Hammock, and I've watched all of their videos on set-up...I've tried different techniques, but it seams that every time I set up my hammock, it looks just fine from the outside. But then, when I get inside of it, the walls seem to sit on me..it's rather claustrophobic. I mean, I can deal with it, but I suppose that I imagined that hammocks would be a little less enclosed, so I must be doing something wrong with setup. If any of you guys have a hennessey, you know that there are the two strings to tie down for the fly, and then two for the actual sides of the hammock. Tom Hennessey, who I bought the thing from at trail days, recommended clipping the strings for the sides of the hammock (there's a small clip at the end of each one) to the strings for the fly...I do this, and still, there's sag in them and the walls of the hammock just eat me.

I feel like a caterpillar in a cacoon when I'm in it sometimes. I've tried different angles for tying the fly out, tried tying all the strings separately instead of clipping them together, I've basically just fooled around with it. But..considering a tent due to this. Any suggestions?

Tie the sides out, sleep with your body at an angle! Play around with it at different angles and tie outs to find what works, and you'll never want another tent (canvas coffin). Caterpillars sleep pretty damn good!:banana

Hairbear
07-03-2012, 06:24
frustrating isnt it no place for your right leg, sides closing in, wiggle a little and your on a pile of everything. the way i overcame this problem is as follows .look at the ridge line see how it runs through two loops in the ends of the hammock.cut head end free making sure you cut ridge line not loop.we will call this ridge line a.make sure that the pocket thing on the line stays on this side.put a load bearing beaner in the head end loop.(can run it through the sting loop but this is an eventual point of friction and will wear loop).now replace ridge line with double length ridge line or do what i did and tie an extra piece of paracord to the green line already there.run this new line back through the weight bearing beaner. this now becomes ridge line b.take ridge line b and tie a taught line hitch in the end of line b around line a you now have a sliding knot that rides along ridge line a that you can easily reach from opening.when slid in one direction ridge tight (should be no tighter than what you can move into a z shape with your thumb and fore fingers)other direction no ridge line at all.now the fun part.with no ridge line the hammock can be flipped over lay on bottom now top, no bug net no lack of space for your feet open sky.you now have two hammocks in one.if the bugs are a p. i. t. a. sleep inside .if not sleep like me youll like it.suggestion 2 the material used for hammock is said to be able to stretch 27 percent,it will im sure tom wouldnt recomend this but i hung my hammock and put 270 lbs of floor tile in the foot box area and left it there for 3 days not only did it stretch it out but it showed no damage to hammock at all.yeah im a newby to white blaze but even newbies can be thinkers .good luck dont tent it the comfort is there you just have to find it in your own way. good luck (use a weight baring beaner in loop so you can use ridge to pull yourself around in it) when tieing taught line hitch knot go all the way to the foot end loop so you have double length ridge

Hairbear
07-03-2012, 06:56
sorry about bombarding you with stuff but i have another thing to tell you i did when i first started hanging ,which is not long ago.i put two small beaners in the holes where the tie out strings are on the sides.then i used an old tent pole i had laying around and arched it over the top putting the open beaner tip in the hollow part in the end of the pole this extends the hammock to its full position without having to be tied out at all. when you run the ridge line for the tarp loop it around the pole and it is held in place and will adjust back and forth.i did that because i couldnt take the whole mummy bag hammock hug thing .it worked for me.over time i got used to the small space problem and now somewhat enjoy it .now if i sleep inside i dont use the pole any more, and sleep without tying out sides i think the knees feel better a little lower.sorry to bug you good luck

Wise Old Owl
07-03-2012, 07:10
Have you thought about taking a hiking pole and jamb in the ground and run the guy to prop the tarp open?

bear bag hanger
07-03-2012, 07:16
If I understand the question, I think you're pulling the supports too tight. Loosen them up a bit, maybe a lot, and see if that helps. In addition to not having the walls laying on you, you'll find the hammock a lot more comfortable.

Rain Man
07-03-2012, 15:16
... hammocks are a bit claustrophobic. I find it less so when you detach the fly from the hammock and set it up separately (i.e. higher).

I don't agree that hammocks are any more claustrophobic than tents. I've been in smaller, tighter tents, than my HH. When it's stormy, having the rainfly close to you is great, in a "as snug as a bug in a rug" kind of way. But I have purchased a bigger rainfly and do hang it separately now and high enough that I can stand under. If the rainfly is causing you to feel claustrophobic, that may well solve your problem.

I, too, bought my HH from Tom at Trail Days. :)

Rain Man

tnvarmint
07-19-2012, 14:09
Go onto YouTube and do a search for Shug Emery. He has an 11 video series on hammocks and is probably some of the best information you will find on the subject.