PDA

View Full Version : Maine difficulty?

JoshAuerbach
06-26-2012, 14:01
I really want to do all of Maine next August but I'm worried we may be too inexperienced for it. I hear it is the most difficult section of the trail? I have never been backpacking or climbed any big mountains or even been above like 3000 feet above sea level. Can anyone shed any light on this? Anyone done Maine without any experience and if so how was it?

gsimp18
06-26-2012, 14:17
I'm SOBO thru hiking right now and just got to Stratton. It's the toughest hiking I've done, but having a blast. I say go for it!

brian039
06-26-2012, 14:18
It's the hardest hiking I've ever done but you can still do it. The downhills are probably the hardest part because the rock (the trail is bedrock in many places) has very little traction. When it is flat, roots and mud are the trail. That said, it's easy to forget the difficulty because of the beauty except for when it is raining.

Cookerhiker
06-26-2012, 14:31
I found Maine the most difficult state of all, in particular the southern/westernmost 100 miles from the NH border to Avery Peak down to Safford Notch. So if you're talking about hiking the whole state in one trip, you may want to consider a southbound hike. The 100 Mile Wilderness has its challenges but it's not the hardest part of Maine.

As I've said before, aerobic fitness is the single most important ingredient to having a successful and enjoyable hike. So even if you don't live near mountains with 2,000-3,000' ascents, working out with ellipticals or stair climbers or getting similar aerobic exercise through running, cycling, whatever is important. Yeah, I know there are some who start - and complete - thruhikes with no pre-conditioning and "hiking themselves into shape" but don't you want to be in good shape to start with? And there are some guys who stress strength training which doesn't hurt but IMO it's more important to attain fitness such that laden with a backpack, you can hike up that first 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 ascent without stopping to rest every 5 minutes.

Next, be mindful of the toll on the joints i.e. knees, quads, hips, etc. - not to mention feet - from the rock and root-strewn terrain. So start slowly e.g. 10 miles per day, maybe 12. If you're hiking NOBO you'll probably do less. Listen to your body. Downhills can be slower than uphills because of the steepness and its effect on knees.

As far as being 3,000' above sea level, I doubt that's much of a problem. Most people sensitive to elevation sickness do so at much higher elevations than the 4,000' of Saddleback, Bigalows, Old Speck etc.

Finally, Maine may be the toughest but it's also the best especially hiking from mid-August when the bugs have lessened through early October. It was my favorite state. I encourage you to give it a try.

SouthMark
06-26-2012, 14:52
It may be the hardest but it is well worth it. I was not well prepared physically the first year that I hiked Maine, Startton to Andover, and it almost killed me but I was 61. At 26 you should be fine. Like Cookerhiker said, the downhills are really the toughest on the joints. Friends and I just returned a few weeks ago. We suffered several injuries but again we are the older crowd and those wet rocks and roots will cause you to fall if you get careless. Go for it and enjoy. It is a beautiful state.

peakbagger
06-26-2012, 15:28
Maine gets a bit easier later in the summer as the trails dry out and the stream crossings get lower. The tough part is that starting at either end of the state doesnt give you a lot of easy hiking before you hit the tough stuff. Southbounding from Katahdin is easy walking for a few days but unless you set up a food drop you have a heavy pack on. The maine line is in the woods so most would start at Shelburne NH on Rt 2 and that immediately dumps you into the Mahoosucs which are also rugged. You can skip the Mahoosucs but starting at Rt 26 is the start of many steep ups and downs. If you plan on slow days with reasonable miles you can probably get past the first week but many push too hard early and regret it a few days later. Plenty of folks do it but the potential for injury is tad bit higher then elsewhere.

As mentioned it may be harder but its worth it. You may not be in total wilderness but there arent many places in the east that come close.

StichBurly
06-26-2012, 15:31
I'm SOBO thru hiking right now and just got to Stratton. It's the toughest hiking I've done, but having a blast. I say go for it!
I am also in Stratton right now. Maine is great lots of rocks roots and mud. Also plenty of moose poop. I agree with peg leg got for it.
Stitch

Spokes
06-26-2012, 15:32
Most everyone says Maine is the toughest state but on my NOBO thru hike New Hampshire was my nemesis. Damn those notches!

toemaetoe
06-26-2012, 16:57
Yeah, definitely go for it. None of the mountains are especially high, but Maine doesn't indulge in many switchbacks, and the soil is thin, so the hiking can be a little tough. Definitely do some research ahead of time as it can make everything more manageable. Here's some quick advice that I consider the most important:

Know that heavy rains can make water crossings very dangerous, and that streams rise and fall quickly. (Sometimes if a stream is really high, if you wait a few hours it'll go down.) When you cross a stream, unbuckle your chest and waist strap. If you don't hike with trekking poles, grab a stick to use while you cross. You can use it to poke the stream bottom in front of you if the water is turbid to gauge depth, and having a third point of contact can save your bacon on slippery rocks.

Food drops are possible in the 100 MW, especially at the bigger road crossings like JoMary Road. A little foreplanning can make your load during the 100 MW much lighter, which can make the mud and rocks and steep ascents/descents a lot easier on the joints.

Bugs are still bad in August, depending on where you are. Bring Deet. All that herbal stuff is nice, but trust me: bring Deet. And a head net.

Have a great time! Maine is gorgeous!

DavidNH
06-26-2012, 17:06
Mountains in Maine may not be "especially high? but they are high enough to be very rugged and exhibit very challenging weather conditions at their summits. Snow in May or in October is a definite possibility. Plus don't underestimate the terrain. For example, the climb of Katahdin is among the most difficult of the entire AT! In 5 miles you gain over 4000 feet of elevation and most of that occurs in the middle three miles of the hunt trail.

Also.. Much of the hiking in Maine is very remote. You might be better off getting your first experiences hiking in New Hampshire's White Mountains. At least here you are not so far from civilization and there will be plenty of people around. Still the White Mountains of NH DO present very challenging weather conditions and very challenging terrain.

RED-DOG
06-26-2012, 17:08
For me it was the Toughest part,but at the same time it was the most rewarding, and yeah go for it. RED-DOG

Quadzilla
06-27-2012, 11:44
Maine is tough. Not only for the brutal climbs and knee jarring descents, but also because of all the wet roots, wet rocks and deep mud. Bugs are particularly ferocious right now and there aren't too many hikers moving right now due to all of the rain we have had the past 3 days and the overflowing rivers that are impossible to ford. Check out my website for more info at www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)

JoshAuerbach
06-27-2012, 12:19
Thanks everyone! I found a lot of useful info from all of you. I think I'm gonna go for it! Luckily we have a super flexible schedule because I work with my dad so I can come back whenever I'm done basically. No need to rush it. I will jsut take it as easy and slow as I need and make sure I take it all in!

Cookerhiker
06-27-2012, 18:11
Thanks everyone! I found a lot of useful info from all of you. I think I'm gonna go for it! Luckily we have a super flexible schedule because I work with my dad so I can come back whenever I'm done basically. No need to rush it. I will jsut take it as easy and slow as I need and make sure I take it all in!

Without the time pressure, you should have a great hike!

coach lou
06-27-2012, 18:33
Maine is tough. Not only for the brutal climbs and knee jarring descents, but also because of all the wet roots, wet rocks and deep mud. Bugs are particularly ferocious right now and there aren't too many hikers moving right now due to all of the rain we have had the past 3 days and the overflowing rivers that are impossible to ford. Check out my website for more info at www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)

Nice........if this don't scratch that wild hair, I'll be gettin' on one of those 2017 threads.