PDA

View Full Version : Stroudsburg, PA to the trail

Gorgiewave
06-26-2012, 14:41
Hello to all. This is my first post on the forum.

I am planning a holiday for next spring which would begin by flying from Madrid, Spain, where I live, to New York City and then travelling to the trail. Looking at the map, the place I have identified as a potential starting point is near Stroudsburg, PA. I know that there is a daily bus from NYC to Stroudsburg. Has anybody travelled between Stroudsburg and the trail? Can it be done on foot? I would also be willing to take a taxi if necessary.

Regards and thanks for any help.

tdoczi
06-26-2012, 15:41
never done it myself but ive heard mention many times of a bus to the town of deleware water gap from NYC. that would put you right on the trail.

GoldenBear
06-26-2012, 16:26
Train from NYC to Harrisburg, city bus to Carlisle / Middlesex -- again, you're right on the trail.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85654-Information-on-Carlisle-Middlesex-PA&highlight=
has more detail.

Commuter train from NYC to Peekskill, cab to trail.
or
NYC to Pawling, five kilometers to trail.
or
NYC to Harriman, six kilometers to trail.
or
Short Line Bus Line from NYC to Bear Mountain, right on trail.

Or, best of all, on weekends you can take commuter train from NYC to Appalachian Trail (yes, that's the name of the stop!)

Ender
06-26-2012, 16:37
Even easier, take a New Jersey Transit train from Penn Station to Tuxedo, NY. There's a trail that heads right out of town that leads to the AT (you'll need a map of the park though, as there are a bunch of trails in the park and not all of them lead to the AT).

Or take the train one stop further to Harriman, call a taxi from the station (no public phone, you'll need a cell), and it's a short 5 minute drive to the AT at the park entrance to the south. Or a 45-60 minute road walk.

But if you're set on the Stroudsburg area, look at taking a bus to Delaware Water Gap instead... it's one town over, and the trail is much closer there.

RED-DOG
06-26-2012, 16:50
Fly to NYC take Mertz Trailways straight to Delaware Water Gap, from there the AT is an easy .5 miles away by foot or by cab. Do not stop at the Greek Pizza parlor their A-holes but do stop at the Church of the Mountains Hostel great place to get info. RED-DOG

Rusty Nail
06-26-2012, 19:07
NYC Port Authority to Delaware Water Gap, easy walk to hostel. http://www.martztrailways.com/

Gorgiewave
06-27-2012, 04:30
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like Martz Trailways offers the best option.