PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a Section Hike: Gear recs...

dep
04-19-2005, 10:07
Hello everyone. I've been scouring the forums for the past several days trying to put together a list of possibilities regarding the right boots, the right pack, etc, as I prepare for my section hike in July (starting up in NY and headed south for about 300 miles).

I hate starting new threads that may cause duplication in information that may have been previously posted, but perhaps having another will make it easier for someone in the future to find. So apologies up front.

My general questions are as follows:

1. For a hike of this distance, if my gear list were ideal, what weight should I shoot for as a goal? 20 lbs? 15? I know this may vary depending on how long you're going to be on the trail.

2. What pack would you personally recommend?

3. What *brand* of boots do you typically favor? I know fit is the most important aspect of the right pair of hiking boots, but was looking for some favorite brands you might have.

4. What "tips" would you suggest.. Rules of thumb to live by as I do my section of the trail? I've been on the trail several times, but never for more than a week, and have done lots of weekend hikes. Crucial things to remember? Invaluable info?

I'm really starting to narrow it down now. thanks for all the help. this is an awesome forum.

cheers,
dep

chris
04-19-2005, 10:32
Check out the tarp gear list in the articles section of whiteblaze. You may find some answers, or direction, there. Some brief answers.

1) Without food, water, or fuel, a basweight of 15-18 lbs is emminently doable. More thought can drop the weight to 10-12 lbs. Much lower is more difficult. Add 2.2 lbs for a liter of water (no need to carry more. Add 2-3 lbs of food per day depending on distance hiked per day and desires. Add another 10 oz. or so if you are going the alcohol route for fuel.

2) I'm a big fan of ULA packs.

See http://www.ula-equipment.com

Six Moon Designs has some interesting packs as well, but I haven't used them. See

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com

3) I wear trail runners and can't recommend boots for the AT. I like those made by Asics. Do a search for "Four Trail Shoe Review" There are two reviews that I wrote about various models.

4) Two things to remember. 1) If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong. 2) Never make a decision to leave the trail until you're warm, dry, clean, well fed, and well rested.

Kerosene
04-19-2005, 10:42
1. For a hike of this distance, if my gear list were ideal, what weight should I shoot for as a goal? 20 lbs? 15? I know this may vary depending on how long you're going to be on the trail.Unless you're bringing a lot of luxury items for a weekend, I'd expect your pack to weigh about the same for a 3-week section as for a 1-week or a thru-hike. Unless you have a lot of lightweight experience, I'd probably shoot for 25-30 pounds with 3 days of food and water.

2. What pack would you personally recommend?You'll get a lot of opinions on this. A nice, fairly light, comfortable pack for 30 pounds in the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/index.html). Search the board for reviews and comments.

3. What *brand* of boots do you typically favor? I know fit is the most important aspect of the right pair of hiking boots, but was looking for some favorite brands you might have.Again, the boot that works for you will be different than those that have worked for other hikers. I like the Vasque and Garmont lines.

4. What "tips" would you suggest.. Rules of thumb to live by as I do my section of the trail? I've been on the trail several times, but never for more than a week, and have done lots of weekend hikes. Crucial things to remember? Invaluable info?The biggest difference between a 100 and a 300 mile section is the number of re-supplies you'll have to do. You might consider using a bounce box with some handy low-use supplies between a few post offices, but then you'll have to coordinate your schedule to arrive when the post office is open. With this method you can also mail supply boxes to yourself for pickup. Alternatively, just hit the grocery store and outfitter.

For a 3-week section, I'd seriously look to acquire an alcohol stove instead of a canister or white gas burner.

For a one-week section hike, if you try to walk too fast/too far you might get injured but you'll only miss a few days of hiking. Start out slower than normal and gradually ramp up the miles to allow your body to acclimate to the continual stress.

Identify a few bail-out points so you're not tied to a hard-and-fast schedule. Also, you'll want to take a few zero days in town; something that isn't quite as necessary if you're only out for a week.

Peaks
04-19-2005, 16:34
Very simply, the principal difference between a several days overnight hike and a long distance hike is resupply.

So, if you are going 300 miles or so, you face the same details that a thru-hiker faces. Gear weight: see other posts. Packs: see other posts. Boots: see other posts.

Probably the only difference between a 300 mile hike and a longer hike is that just as you are getting into good condition, it's time to get off the trail.

dep
04-19-2005, 16:42
Thanks for all the excellent advice. Excellent help! My preparations continue :)

dep

alanthealan
04-19-2005, 18:17
I think how much you want to spend is one of the biggest factors. How much time you have is another. Waiting for campmor sales saves money, but takes time.

Weight should be as lightest possible, but do you want to spend 150$ on a sleeping bag or 350$ you can save a pound or two but it will cost you. Of course if you spend 350 on a bag and then bring extra heavy crap it's counter productive. Also you might find you spent 150 on the less expenive bag and 2 years later want to buy the 350 bag.

On the other hand lightweight backpacks are less expensive. Like the Granite Gear Vapor or Gregory G, both award winning both half the weight and cost of other packs in the company’s line.

I went to the outfitter told them I don't like gore tex, but I only care about the FIT. I ended up with trail runners and custom insoles. I have used classic leather boots in the past and that is where they belong- in the past. I don't know about the runners though... tell you in a few months.

Tips? Don't believe a word the sales associate says. He has most likely never been out for more than a week. On the other hand I had a thru-hiker fit my shoes- so you never know.

In the end its personal preference there is no right and wrong, unless you disagree with me and then you’re WRONG. There I got my two cents in.

bailcor
04-19-2005, 20:13
Not about gear but I would be sure to visit the Appalachian Trail Primer and pick the brains of a lot of people with loads of experience and knowledge. Check out Jack Tarlins (Baltimore Jack) resupply section. Here's a man that has hiked thru 8 times and giving you a lot of good advice free.

Marta
04-19-2005, 21:49
dep--I'm a section-hiker living in Charlotte, too! (I'm about twice your age, though, so don't get too excited.) Do you know about TrailFest in Hot Springs this coming weekend? There will be a lot of gear on display there so you could see stuff for real, instead of looking at pictures on the net.

I'm planning a long section this fall, hopefully about 3 months. In the meantime, I do short sections every weekend. Right now I'm playing with hammocks, but for tents, I like Henry Shires tarptents. I think the pack choice comes last, after you figure out how much volume and weight the rest of your stuff amounts to. I'm also a running-shoe hiker; I never wear boots anymore except in the dead of winter, and not usually even then.

Cheers!
Marta

dep
04-19-2005, 23:54
Ahh. neat! i'll actually be in the Asheville area this weekend! I should check out trailfest! :) Are they selling things there?

dep

Marta
04-20-2005, 07:00
Are they selling things at Trail Fest? You betchya! From the Hot Springs organizers' perspectives, I imagine that's the point of the event. I know Bluff Mtn. Outfitters has gotten in lots of new stock for this weekend, and I know that Hennessey Hammocks will be offering promotional pricing. There's a hammock camping workshop/gathering going on at the campground, and some live music on Saturday. Other than that, I'm not sure what'll be happening.

Marta