PDA

View Full Version : What kind of backpack?

mikeosborne
06-26-2012, 22:42
I'm looking at a bunch of different packs for a thru hike and was wondering what kind everyone uses and why!

Feral Bill
06-26-2012, 22:52
The main things to look for are fit, adequate capacity, and light weight. Their are lots of choices, many of which are great for someone else and awful for you. Give any pack you are considering a thorough "test ride".

10-K
06-26-2012, 23:03
Here is a thread for you to read: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78388-buy-your-pack-last

Rain Man
06-27-2012, 10:17
I have more than one pack and though not a thru-hiker, I know that some of them switch out packs during their thru-hikes (smaller for warm weather, larger for cold weather).

The MAIN thing I go for is fit and comfort. Some perfectly good brands and packs don't feel good on my back; others feel good. (Similar to shoe brands.)

If the pack fits well and feels good, then next I try to avoid especially large packs. As the saying goes, "if you have room, you will fill it." A smaller pack forces me to make more choices about things NOT to cary.

If it fits well and feels good and is the right size, then I'll choose a brand or store with a good warranty. Packs DO fail on occasion.

I also prefer simpler packs over complicated packs, though I prefer packs with large rather than small outside pockets, including waist belt pockets.

It's all a balancing act, that only you can do for yourself.

Rain:sunMan

barf_jay
06-27-2012, 10:34
I just upgraded to a Gregory Baltero 65 liter pack. This back is great! I like it due to the should harness and how it put all the weight on your hips. Has lots of room and I have no complaints on this pack.

I went to REI and tried on packs for over 1.5 hrs and walked around the store with 30 lbs of stuff until I found the pack I liked. This is the best option.

Llama Legs
06-27-2012, 10:43
You'll need to have a rough idea how much your typical daily load will be. Base weight 10 pounds? or 20 pounds? How often will you resupply, every 3 days or 5 days (food)? 1 or 2 liters of water? You can see the difference, 18 pounds or 35 pounds. BIG difference when choosing a pack.

Zippy Morocco
06-27-2012, 22:00
You'll need to have a rough idea how much your typical daily load will be. Base weight 10 pounds? or 20 pounds? How often will you resupply, every 3 days or 5 days (food)? 1 or 2 liters of water? You can see the difference, 18 pounds or 35 pounds. BIG difference when choosing a pack.

Very good points. I really feel that the pack is the last thing to get when gearing up. Course I didn't do that at first and traded/bought my way to what I use now.

Mountain Laurel Design Prophet. Its a great frameless pack with just the right features for me. The craftsmanship is excellent and its made in the USA. Love it. However if you have a base weight over 12 or so pounds it probably wouldn't be comfortable.

Whack-a-mole
06-28-2012, 12:08
Pack fit is so different depending on your body. For example, the pack that Barf-Jay loves, sits right on my tail bone, and I would be absolutely miserable with that pack. It is important to try on a few packs to see what works for you. With some companies that are smaller like ULA and Golite, you don't usually get to try their stuff on, but it is returnable if it doesn't fit. REI does a pretty good job in a lot of their stores with pack fitting. If you still aren't sure, maybe rent a pack from them for a weekend trip and see how you like it.

Spokes
06-28-2012, 12:48
Osprey Atmos 65- good capacity, comfy, bombproof.

'Nuff said.

cabbagehead
06-28-2012, 13:04
I have a deuter act lite. They come in various sizes from 50 L to 75 L.

My favorite features:

It's highly adjustable and is able to fit my strangely shaped back.

The shoulder straps can be moved up and down.
The intersection of the load lifters and pack can be changed, such that the pack can fit a short or tall person.

The shoulder straps can be taken off.
I can take out the skeleton and put the pack in a washing machine.
These features are also in the other "act" packs.

I don't know how the durability compares to other packs.

Maddog
06-28-2012, 14:51
I'm looking at a bunch of different packs for a thru hike and was wondering what kind everyone uses and why!
ULA CDT...55L...17oz! Nuff said!!! Maddog:)

MuddyWaters
06-28-2012, 16:34
Peoples packs are as varied as the people themselves.
Some use external frame packs that are 20 yrs old. some use small cuben fiber packs that weigh 8oz.

You need a pack that suits YOU and YOUR gear
As someone else said, your pack is probably the last thing you need to buy. It is imperative to know what your gear weighs, and how much volume it takes up, to select a pack. Also, are you striving to be lightweight, heavy, ultralight, etc. How much food and water will you carry, etc.

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 16:43
we have several packs,a Mountain smith maybe 4000ci,My Kelty 42ooci 4lbs.-4oz,another Kelty that's like 3lb.s somthin ozs.....strange none of these are my dream pack,not sure I'll ever find my dream pack,there all so...always on your back.

Capt Nat
06-28-2012, 19:52
Like so many of the others here, I walked around in Hot Springs wearing every pack they had. Did the same thing in Franklin with mostly the same packs. Did the same thing at my local outfitter. Read lots of reviews. Have heard noone say anything good about them and it is heavier than I wish it was, but the North Face Crestone felt better on my back than any other pack I tried. I brought some ballast in and wore it around heavy and felt the same. I haven't done more than day hikes with it yet and hope that I remain happy with it.

redfox1939
07-19-2012, 23:05
Efficient packers using newer, less-bulky gear can really keep things light on 1- or 2-night trips by using a pack in the 20 to 50L range or on 2- to 3-night trips in the 50 to 60L range. Just be aware that packing light requires self-discipline and careful planning. If you can pull it off, though, the light-on-your-feet rewards are fantastic.

Hairbear
07-20-2012, 03:50
osprey atmos 65, 3 lbs 12 oz ,very durable,comfortable,carry all you need,a tad bit heavier than ultra light but still a lighter pack.The frame weight is worth the confort.

moytoy
07-20-2012, 05:36
Lots of choices! Many good packs! Lots of good info here! I have two external frame packs and a GoLite frameless and I use them all. But there is a new kid on the block and I'm about to make the leap. Sgt Rock just bought this one and it looks good! http://www.elementalhorizons.com/kalaispack.aspx

bert304
07-20-2012, 07:41
Check out the Osprey Atmos, they made some nice improvements in the new model pack in my opinion. I have loaded 40 lbs and not had a problem, the only thing I don't like is the hipbelt pockets. To me they are useless.

Hairbear
07-20-2012, 09:15
Osprey Atmos 65- good capacity, comfy, bombproof.

'Nuff said.ok ive wondered long enough.ive seen people refer to you as spokes the man the legend.so are the pictures of the ladies the trap or the cheese.(grin)

coheterojo
07-20-2012, 18:59
Another vote for the Osprey Atmos 65. I used that pack on both of my thruhikes. It is, without a doubt, the most comfortable pack I have ever used. I got mine at REI so there was no warranty issue at all. I wore mine out both years and REI gave me brand new ones both times. That's kinda hard to beat!

WaterBender
07-23-2012, 07:56
I’ve got the Baltoro 70, I usually take different kinds according to the situations but this is my mostly used backpack.

Drybones
07-23-2012, 08:53
Granite Gear Crown 60, which is a newer version of the Vapor Trail, 2 lb, 2 oz, and very durable. The stretch pocket is perfect for putting a tent, ground cloth and rain gear where you can get them quickly as well as a place for stuff to dry. I purchased one for a thru hike this spring and loved it...and I'm hard to please. My second choice would be the REI Flash 50. A large outside pocket is a must for me. Saw a lot of Osprey Exos on the trail that people were happy with. If you want a lot of pockets to organize it's a good choice. I considered the Exos but was concerned with durability.

Drybones
07-23-2012, 09:02

What kind of hiking are you doing? If thru hiking you want something ligtweight and simple. If you are weekend hiking weight doesn't matter that much.

fredmugs
07-23-2012, 11:19
What kind of hiking are you doing? If thru hiking you want something ligtweight and simple. If you are weekend hiking weight doesn't matter that much.

Are you trying to give sound advice based on the needs of this individual? Who do you think you are?

Del Q
07-23-2012, 20:14
I read once that a pack is a bag to hold your stuff.

Prefer pockets on the hip belt, use them a lot. Camera, MP3 player, etc.

Lighter is better today, there are so many great (lightweight) options, looks like 2 lbs or less is about right for 30 lb loads.

ferdEggmont
07-27-2012, 20:51
Arc'Teryx Axios 50 L - has a kangaroo pocket to keep camp shoes like flip flops in and an almost full length size zipper for quick access to the inside of the pack. I used it for my entire thru

swjohnsey
07-29-2012, 13:42
Probably the two most common brands I've seen on the trail this year are Osprey and ULA. Osprey is popular because they are sold in the big box stores. I'm using a ULA Ohm 2.0. I've seen Circuits, Catalysts, Ohm and CDT. Probably more Circuits than anything. Osprey's are heavy. You will be much happier in the long run if you don't carry too much stuff.

Lando11
07-30-2012, 11:43
Probably the two most common brands I've seen on the trail this year are Osprey and ULA. Osprey is popular because they are sold in the big box stores. I'm using a ULA Ohm 2.0. I've seen Circuits, Catalysts, Ohm and CDT. Probably more Circuits than anything. Osprey's are heavy. You will be much happier in the long run if you don't carry too much stuff.
not 100% accurate my friend. my osprey exos 34 weighs less then a ULA circuit. you may argue the circuit is much larger, but you would be seriously overloading the pack if you were to fill it to its capacity. im not hating on ULA, they make some killer packs but for that kinda cash for a pack i would take a long look at CF backpacks. tho not as durable, having a waterproof pack that weighs under 10oz's is tough to beat

swjohnsey
07-30-2012, 11:58
Your Osprey doesn't weight less than a ULA Ohm 2.0. Buy American even if it costs a bit more.

MuddyWaters
07-30-2012, 21:10
you may argue the circuit is much larger, but you would be seriously overloading the pack if you were to fill it to its capacity.

This, is a totally ridiculous statement

Lando11
07-30-2012, 21:26
This, is a totally ridiculous statement
?
do you not thimk loading a pack a foot over its frame is considered overloaded? im sure thats not how ULA designed the pack to be used

Odd Man Out
07-30-2012, 21:28
I also need to buy a pack.

Lots of people rave about the ULA packs.
Lots of people say you need to try a lot of packs to find one that fits well.
But where can you try on an ULA to see if it fits you as they are not sold in stores (at least any stores I have been in)?

Lando11
07-30-2012, 21:35
Your Osprey doesn't weight less than a ULA Ohm 2.0. Buy American even if it costs a bit more.
there are plenty of lighter backpacks then my exos. hell, i own 2 that are, a golite jam2 and a hyperlite zip-top pack that is about 18L for some very light trips. oh and the hmg pack is handmade in Maine bud

Bakkheia
07-30-2012, 22:37
Completely depends on your load; I have a few packs myself. I love my GoLite Jam 50 most, but from time to time am tempted to use my Osprey Atmos 65 due to comfort.... even if it is more cumbersome, heavier, and has too many "features" and pockets for my personal tastes. More stuff to wear out and break, ya know? Definitely a bit much for what I carry. Sure as hell feels nice during the drier months when I'm taking extra water for my dog and I, though. Most comfortable thing I have EVER used- it's insane.

Really though, if the Hornet is anywhere as confortable as it, it might be a good buy... unless you are a super ultra-lighter. Might be a good in-between for comfort/weight, so worth trying on at a local outfitter.

But like I, and others, have said... it all depends on your load. Through one part trial-and-error, and three parts laziness, I now hike kinda minimal.. so my Jam serves me quite well.

turtle fast
07-31-2012, 12:35
Another ULA bump...the packs are made in the USA by people who know thru hiking.....

WalksInDark
08-03-2012, 21:59
In addition to finding a pack that fits well and will transfer the weight properly to your hips....understand how you actually hike on longer trips (notice I did not say how you WOULD LIKE TO HIKE). Due to lack of proper weight transfer (I have no buns and am short waisted) I switched from the mountainsmith pack I had used for years to a new Gregory. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that the "new" Gregory had worn through in several places due to my propensity for taking multiple short breaks....and resting the bottom and/or back of the pack on rocks while I sat.

Moral of the story: given my "resting while wearing a pack" habits, I should have stayed with packs that had much better/heavier fabric so as not to fray it quickly.

Another Kevin
08-04-2012, 15:25
My daughter swears by her Gregory Deva.

I carry an ALPS Mountaineering Orizaba for trips of 2-3 nights, which is about my limit, since I'm a clueless weekender. It could be lighter, but it's comfortable enough on me and I kind of like the integrated pack cover and the tall, narrow form factor (it gets caught less in narrow spots). Besides, it was under $70 at one of REI's garage sales. :D

LongRange
08-07-2012, 16:36
Well..., there ya go!!

prepcore
08-11-2012, 21:47
ULA is the way for me. I used to be die hard osprey and still use my kestrel quite a bit, but they lost me on both the atmos and then completely with the exos. I found the exos hip belts to slip terribly with barely any weight in it, which if you check reviews is a big complaint. One I wish I had listened to. The curvature of the frame also makes it more difficult to pack and unpack. I also found the shoulder straps to be flimsy. Just my opinion. The best advice is what a lot have already said. Get whats right for you. The exos works great for some and and others have a terrible time with it. I just decided to try ULA finally because they are trail tested, I've NEVER read or heard a bad thing about them, and they are made in the good old USA by a cottage vendor, not a robot on an assembly line.

BOHICA
08-12-2012, 02:44
+1 on a ULA. I started with a old P-2 now the cataylst. I then went to a Circuit and down to the a OHM. The circuit is my most verstile all around pack for bear canisters as such if hiking/hanging out west. The comfortable of a ULA Circuit far exceeds a Osprey in design and the hipbelts set a standard. Plus the customer service of the cottage industry is hard to compare. Plus on the Circuit or Ohm 2.0 the belts are interchangable.

Like PREPCORE, I once had a Exos 34 and loved the back mesh part for hot/humid times, but hated the pockets and the brain was just overkill for me.

Gillum
08-12-2012, 08:39
Windrider by Hyperlite Mountain Gear. 28.2 oz. Made in Maine. Great people to work with!

colorado_rob
08-21-2012, 14:14
Great topic, and thanks for all the informative responses. Here's my $.02: I've tried and bought/used at least a dozen packs in the last 10 years. For some reason, I always go back to Osprey. they fit me perfectly. This is huge. I used to use an Atmos, but bought an Exos which fits identically and weighs significantly less (my Exos 46, cut, weighs 2#-5oz, the Atmos 50 just over 3 lbs). 46 liters is plenty for me for up to about 8 days of food (plenty for the AT, even up north), including some cold weather gear.

I also have the frameless Osprey Hornet 46. 1 pound 8 oz, but not quite as comfortable with 25 pounds in it as the framed Exos. But still comfortable enough for the warmest parts of the AT I think (lighter pack). We'll see.

I'm intrigued by the endorsements of the ULA packs. Funny, I work for a company whose initials are "ULA". I wonder if I can get a discount? In any case, I'm going to check those out.

Anyway, just my humble opinions, and like has been said, pack choice is very personal based on body type. If nothing changes, I'll be using an Osprey Exos 46 for the far south and far north sections, probably the lighter hornet 46 for the warmest mid regions.

swjohnsey
08-23-2012, 13:55
I've seen more ULA and Osprey than any other packs. Osprey is sold by big box stores and made in China. My ULA Ohm 2.0 is holding up well, no signs of wear near the end of my thru-hike.

Buffalo Skipper
08-23-2012, 14:32
....Osprey is sold by big box stores and made in China...

Actually, Ospreys were made in the US for years but are now made in Vietnam.

Regardless, I have an Osprey Stratos 24, which is a great day pack. Osprey's packs are extremely well made and I dare say, bulletproof. I also had an Aether 70. Masterful piece of manufacturing, but it was very uncomfortable, and way heavier than I eventually wanted to be in. Knowing what did not work for me about this pack, I eventually settled on a ULA Circuit. I liked it so much that I gave it to may son, and I picked up another one for me. ;)

ULA does have a very select number of outfitters who are selling their packs. Most are in locations near major trails. Follow this link, http://ula-equipment.com/community.asp, and choose the RETAILERS tab at the far right. It shows 13 North American retailers and one in the UK.

You must find a pack that works for you. Everyone is different, and every pack will fit you differently. Frankly I learned a lot from having a great pack that was not the right one for me. Hope you can figure it out more easily than I did.