PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal & Harpers Ferry: which way?

shelb
06-27-2012, 00:18
I am taking a friend who has never backpacked. She has strong knees (for down-hill) and is fairly aerobically fit (for up-hill). Which will be best: NB or SB? Your answer may be based on ease of hiking, shelter placements, etc. Just advise what and why. Thanks!

Cookerhiker
06-27-2012, 08:11
I'd recommend NOBO simply because Harpers Ferry is a nice destination to finish your hike. As you're approaching, you get views of the rivers and the town. There's some decent restaurants to celebrate. If you hike SOBO, you basically end at a road crossing several miles from Front Royal.

10-K
06-27-2012, 08:53
NOBO for the reasons already mentioned.

Unless you can extend your trip a few days or start a little further south and hike into SNP. Front Royal to Big Meadows in SNP is about the same distance and a prettier hike (if I remember right)

shelb
06-27-2012, 21:27
NOBO for the reasons already mentioned.

Unless you can extend your trip a few days or start a little further south and hike into SNP. Front Royal to Big Meadows in SNP is about the same distance and a prettier hike (if I remember right)

I have already done that section (and HF to PenMar), just missing this stretch; otherwise, I would consider it. Thanks!