PDA

View Full Version : recommendation requested

juma
06-27-2012, 08:45
I have a chance to go out and hike the san juans for 5 days the first week of July. What section of the CDT would be a good one to hike in that time frame.

Thanks for any recommendations!

juma

Lyle
06-27-2012, 09:29
I'm sure others will have more knowledgeable input for access, but If I were limited to 5 days, I would consider incorporating the Durango to Silverton Narrow Guage in my plan. The will stop in the Weminuche Wilderness to pick you up if you flag them down. For example, Start in either Silverton or Durango, hike into the wilderness, flag down the train to return you to your starting point. Not the CDT, but the CT and a FANTASTICALLY BEAUTIFUL area.

Good Luck, have fun.

brian039
06-27-2012, 09:54
The Weminuche would be my choice. You can access it by road from Wolf Creek Pass in the southern end or Stony Pass in the northern end. There are also a few access points from CO 149 that would be about a half day hike to the CDT. The Silverton to Durango train is also a good choice but the climb up Elk Creek would be brutal. The Trails Illustrated map of the Weminuche will help you in planning a route. It's the most beautiful hiking that I've ever done but be prepared for rain every day in July. I have also heard the Uncompaghre Wilderness is very nice but I haven't hiked there yet.

Spirit Walker
06-27-2012, 11:56
Five days isn't a lot of time for hiking in the San Juans, especially since it is fairly remote to access. What you might want to do is drive to Creede and hike a loop out of there, then head back to your car. If you look at the Trails Illustrated/National Geographic maps for the San Juans, there are a lot of options for loops in that area. What kind of mileage are you hoping to do in 5 days?

juma
06-27-2012, 12:57
Five days isn't a lot of time for hiking in the San Juans, especially since it is fairly remote to access. What you might want to do is drive to Creede and hike a loop out of there, then head back to your car. If you look at the Trails Illustrated/National Geographic maps for the San Juans, there are a lot of options for loops in that area. What kind of mileage are you hoping to do in 5 days?

10-15 mpd.

those others sound interesting too.

bearcreek
06-28-2012, 10:10
My suggestion:

Park in Durango, take the narrow gauge train to Elk Creek.

Hike the CT to the top of Elk Creek, descend to Beartown then over Hunchback Pass on the CDT, follow Vallecito Creek to Johnson Creek, go up and over Columbine Pass into Chicago Basin, go down to Needleton, get on the train and back to Durango.

This is a very popular local hike and totals about 50 miles. Some of the nicest country in the San Juans, and the logistics are easy thanks to the train. It's all on Trails Illustrated Map 140.

You need to set it up with the train - busy season now so a reservation is needed. 888-872-4607.

juma
06-28-2012, 17:44
My suggestion:

Hike the CT to the top of Elk Creek, descend to Beartown then over Hunchback Pass on the CDT, follow Valecito Creek to Johnson Creek, go up and over Columbine Pass into Chicago Basin, go down to Needleton, get on the train and back to Durango.

This is a very popular local hike and totals about 50 miles. Some of the nicest country in the San Juans, and the logistics are easy thanks to the train. It's all on Trails Illustrated Map 140.

You need to set it up with the train - busy season now so a reservation is needed. 888-872-4607.

wow, I ordered the map. this sounds great!

juma
07-30-2012, 22:00
My suggestion:

Hike the CT to the top of Elk Creek, descend to Beartown then over Hunchback Pass on the CDT, follow Vallecito Creek to Johnson Creek, go up and over Columbine Pass into Chicago Basin, go down to Needleton, get on the train and back to Durango.

All set to start this hike on this coming thursday. Thanks again for the Rx.

juma
08-09-2012, 14:38
It was a super hike. we just lumbered along at 10 miles a day and enjoyed the scenery and animals. set up camp at 3pm every day to watch the daily thunder/rain/hail storm from under a tarp. never got lost but trail markings seem odd and sporadic. plenty of water and no bugs. i'm going back!