PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many worry about finishing a thru-hike?

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 14:13
Why is the end of a Thru-hike,or finishing more important than the journey?

Lone Wolf
06-27-2012, 14:17
braggin' rights?

WIAPilot
06-27-2012, 14:19
Good question, Rocket. I think we are all different. I am definitely an "it's the journey" type of person, but I am also goal oriented and don't want to "fail." To me, I must get to Katahdin. I worry about injury more than anything else because that's the only thing I see stopping me.

WingedMonkey
06-27-2012, 14:23

Because 80% quit and say the enjoyed "the journey"?

ChinMusic
06-27-2012, 14:35
Why do people finish 10Ks, marathons, or triathlons? Why do they value crossing the finish line showing so much emotion?

I think the answer is obvious.

You don't see folks quiting marathons before the finish just because they see a nice restaurant.

Feral Bill
06-27-2012, 14:35
Because people have a sick compulsion to make everything a competition?

ChinMusic
06-27-2012, 14:43

Some people jog, some people like to run in events. Your use of "sick" is sick.

LYOL

Monkeywrench
06-27-2012, 15:12

Who says it's more important?

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 15:27
Why do people finish 10Ks, marathons, or triathlons? Why do they value crossing the finish line showing so much emotion?

You don't see folks quiting marathons before the finish just because they see a nice restaurant.Yes,your right,it is obvious,though sometimes it seems that when it gets discussed here,that it is more about some other reason,and not so obvious.I rewrote that question 3 times,and each time it was to preachy,and I didn't want it to come off as such.I'm wondering if Lone Wolf isn't right,just "Braggin rights",but there again,at times it goes beyound,just braggin rights.If it's my goal,and my hike,then why would I,or should I worry about what others think about My hike.I shouldn't,yet some do,why?

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 15:34
Are we just so protective of our accomplishments,that allowing another to speak of doing the same,when they haven't endured the same hardships,is just unacceptable to us,is it just that simple?back in 23,working on my ratio
Dam...slippin 24 min

Malto
06-27-2012, 15:35
I think for many they view completing the hike as a challenge, not a competition with others but a competition vs themselves. Bragging rights, I doubt it for most, there are many easier ways of getting bragging rights like eating contests etc that don't take months to complete. I also think there is an element of not wanting to go back home a "failure" that may also drive others as well. I know I couldn't imagine going back to all those that had to listen to me talk endlessly for years about thru hiking and saying " just kidding, I just took a took week walk".

10-K
06-27-2012, 16:25
For the same reasons people who climb mountains go all the way to the top. There is a start/finish - beginning/end.

Some people are hardwired to finish what they start. Others don't place as high a value on that.

As always.. HYOH.

RED-DOG
06-27-2012, 16:33
In 96 on my Flip-Flop it was a challenge but know its just something to do,

Coffee Rules!
06-27-2012, 16:42
You don't see folks quiting marathons before the finish just because they see a nice restaurant.

That got a genuine chuckle right there.

hikerboy57
06-27-2012, 16:46
its only important to those who finish.to them its the journey and the destination.
to me, its just the journey

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 16:48
That got a genuine chuckle right there.

You don't see folks quiting marathons before the finish just because they see a nice restaurant.Heck,them guy's don't even stop for water,There like "Throw at my face,and I'll try and catch it in my mouth":D

wookinpanub
06-27-2012, 16:56
My desire to reach Springer (SOBO) was what drove me to begin, but that was not enough to sustain me. I found that fuel was spent within a couple of weeks. The internal journey became the biggest goal. I actually started pretending that the hike had no end and that I needed to embrace the mountains, rain, heat, and other hardships. The notion of "Conquering the AT" was ludicrous. It made for some interesting feelings when I got to Springer, the most confusing being "What do I do, now?".
I have no idea if anyone else would understand it this way, but to complete it demanded that I change.

sublimety
06-27-2012, 16:59
I would think some of it has to do with time and money. Also the huge emotional and monetary investment that some make. Maybe the fear of others opinions if they don't finish. I am guessing there are hundreds of reasons. All I know for sure is when I get my shot in 2013 I will enjoy every moment of the journey and the finish (if I am so lucky to get)

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 17:00
Because people have a sick compulsion to make everything a competition?Yep,healthy competition is good,I love slamin' someone,if it's all in fun,certainly nothing wrong with that,everybody needs a good "you suck,your Karate is weak and your a terrible softball player Jack",now and then but that whole "hey hey you you,get off my cloud" mentality.....well I just don't get that Bill,and I think many don't get it either,and to take a phrase from LW (out of context of coarse)......Truth!

WingedMonkey
06-27-2012, 17:22
"Conquering the AT" was ludicrous.

Yeah, I've never understood "conquering the trail" or "conquering the weather". Both will whip your a$$ on a regular basis.

Sailing_Faith
06-27-2012, 17:28
Yeah, I've never understood "conquering the trail" or "conquering the weather". Both will whip your a$$ on a regular basis.

The same is true of the sea... the ones who say such things simply do not understand... yet.

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 17:48
My desire to reach Springer (SOBO) was what drove me to begin, but that was not enough to sustain me. I found that fuel was spent within a couple of weeks. The internal journey became the biggest goal. I actually started pretending that the hike had no end and that I needed to embrace the mountains, rain, heat, and other hardships. The notion of "Conquering the AT" was ludicrous. It made for some interesting feelings when I got to Springer, the most confusing being "What do I do, now?".
I have no idea if anyone else would understand it this way, but to complete it demanded that I change.Very interesting,yes you gotta have "Acceptance"be it good or bad,really dosen't matter,you change,or you go off trail,easy like that!

Double Wide
06-27-2012, 17:52
How about a plain old feeling of accomplishment? Of course, the journey is the thing, but all journeys must come to an end at some point.

Getting there is half the fun. But it's only half.

BFI
06-27-2012, 17:55
It started off as a challenge and quickly became a journey then an adventure which mutated into an obsession. But for me, I had to leave at 800 miles in due to a heart problem and now it’s just a waiting game to start again next year. On the trail you wake up, eat, pack up, and move forward and a whole new adventure will unfold as the days goes on. Back in the world of the mortals it’s been difficult for me to communicate what actually happens on the trail. I think that what happens on the AT can only be truly appreciated by those who have done the trail, so bragging rights only go so far. Those who have completed the journey truly know what it means. It’s a personal thing that is shared with a few. Its an elite club......

Sari
06-27-2012, 18:01
Personally, I question myself always. I always have, and likely always will. When I talk about finishing this huge task, I wonder if I'll get there. If I'll be able to push myself that far. Taking 6+ months off, pushing my body, searching my soul, worrying about my husband getting enough calories daily so that he doesn't waste away to nothing...these aren't things that I want to talk to death and then come home short of any of them. When I come home, I want to be able to say, "I did what I set out to do!" I want to be more sure of myself than when I left.

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 18:26
Personally, I question myself always. I always have, and likely always will. When I talk about finishing this huge task, I wonder if I'll get there. If I'll be able to push myself that far. Taking 6+ months off, pushing my body, searching my soul, worrying about my husband getting enough calories daily so that he doesn't waste away to nothing...these aren't things that I want to talk to death and then come home short of any of them. When I come home, I want to be able to say, "I did what I set out to do!" I want to be more sure of myself than when I left.:welcometo White Blaze good luck with your hike.

Lyle
06-27-2012, 18:28
My understanding is that this was the issue that caused Paul Petzolt, who was instrumental in introducing Outward Bound to the US, to leave that organization and found National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS).

He found the attitude and atmosphere of Outward Bound to be confrontational with nature, that nature was something to be "conquered". Mr. Petzoldt's philosophy was more that man needed to learn to meet nature in a more conciliatory way. Learn about nature, then adapt yourself and your behaviors to co-exist in harmony and in a complimentary way. Nature was something to be appreciated, not something to be "beat".

Guess I subscribe more to the NOLS philosophy, and hence, put much less emphasis on "conquering" the trail.

Probably room for both philosophies, but they can cause some angst at times.

tdoczi
06-27-2012, 18:35
never tried to thru, probably never will, but if i plan on hiking from point A to point B then by definition not making it to point B is a failure. if i plan to go hike just for kicks and start off not caring where i end up at the end, thats different, but is i beleive a very uncommon mindset, especially for a thru. i dont think a great many people show up ats pringer having done all the preparations for a thru and at a time where schedule wise it makes sense to start a thru without the intention of finishing it. its just too big an undertaking. i mean, if you were able to take 6 months off from your life to do a thru and had to wuit after only 3 how can that not be viewed as a failure? sure, you still got something positive from it i am sure, but by definition not doing what you set out to do is a failure.

ChinMusic
06-27-2012, 18:39
Getting there is half the fun. But it's only half.

A happy ending is preferable.

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 18:46
My understanding is that this was the issue that caused Paul Petzolt, who was instrumental in introducing Outward Bound to the US, to leave that organization and found National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS).

He found the attitude and atmosphere of Outward Bound to be confrontational with nature, that nature was something to be "conquered". Mr. Petzoldt's philosophy was more that man needed to learn to meet nature in a more conciliatory way. Learn about nature, then adapt yourself and your behaviors to co-exist in harmony and in a complimentary way. Nature was something to be appreciated, not something to be "beat".

Guess I subscribe more to the NOLS philosophy, and hence, put much less emphasis on "conquering" the trail.

Probably room for both philosophies, but they can cause some angst at times.I did not know this,and find it very interesting,someone has a signeture here that says"If you don't like the road your on,pave another one"I like this.....because it not only says if you don't like it,or can't accept it,change,and being able to adapt is probably one of the best tools we have in our bag,and the saying provides a solution,thnks for posting that.

rickb
06-27-2012, 18:54

Sort of like high school. Some loved every minute of it (I supose) but whether you did or didn't, it was good to look forward to graduatiion and moving on to something more.

Lyle
06-27-2012, 19:34
never tried to thru, probably never will, but if i plan on hiking from point A to point B then by definition not making it to point B is a failure. if i plan to go hike just for kicks and start off not caring where i end up at the end, thats different, but is i beleive a very uncommon mindset, especially for a thru. i dont think a great many people show up ats pringer having done all the preparations for a thru and at a time where schedule wise it makes sense to start a thru without the intention of finishing it. its just too big an undertaking. i mean, if you were able to take 6 months off from your life to do a thru and had to wuit after only 3 how can that not be viewed as a failure? sure, you still got something positive from it i am sure, but by definition not doing what you set out to do is a failure.

Guess it depends on what you set as "goals" and what you set as your "plan". When I go out, my goal is to enjoy myself, challenge myself to hike a bit beyond my comfort level, accept the weather and mountains for what they are and adapt to them. My "plan" may be to do this by way of a thru hike, long section hike, or a weekend hike, depending on my circumstance at the time. To me, changing my "plan" does not result in the hike being a failure. If this were true, then all the thru-hikers who didn't make it to their planned destination on day one, would have actually failed. Certainly not the way I want to look at life.

And no, I have not thru-hiked the AT, but yes, I have done a long-distance, multi-month hike and actually exceeded the planned destination. This happens often, I exceed my planned hike.

I guess if you grew up in a competitive environment you may view goals and plans differently. I just don't think it's necessary to imply that "how can that not be viewed as a failure" because someone changed their plan. They may well have met every one of their goals.

Montana AT05
06-27-2012, 19:43

If you've ever started a thru-hike and not finished, you'd understand. I've both completed and failed to complete thrus...I can tell ya, not finishing eats at ya. Ok, maybe it doesn't eat at everyone, but most. If you're ok with the whole class being Valedictorians because they tried, then ya won't mind not completing what ya set out to do.

And no one I know or read about, ever speaks about "conquering the trail", they talk about conquering their desire to quit and reaching a goal through the ups and downs.

People often talk about conquering a mountain, but those are the guys dudded up in the latest "expedition chic" outfits and holding court at the wine bar talking about the upcoming trip to <insert trendy mountain climb here>.

And no, a thru hike isn't a competition against other thru-hikers--but it's false logic to then say "competition is bad".

The competitive spirit is GOOD, and contributes to your success rate in more than just a thru-hike.

Lyle
06-27-2012, 19:54
" Ok, maybe it doesn't eat at everyone, but most. If you're ok with the whole class being Valedictorians because they tried, then ya won't mind not completing what ya set out to do."

Totally unfair and incorrect analogy.

hikerboy57
06-27-2012, 20:11
If you've ever started a thru-hike and not finished, you'd understand. I've both completed and failed to complete thrus...I can tell ya, not finishing eats at ya. Ok, maybe it doesn't eat at everyone, but most. If you're ok with the whole class being Valedictorians because they tried, then ya won't mind not completing what ya set out to do.

And no one I know or read about, ever speaks about "conquering the trail", they talk about conquering their desire to quit and reaching a goal through the ups and downs.

People often talk about conquering a mountain, but those are the guys dudded up in the latest "expedition chic" outfits and holding court at the wine bar talking about the upcoming trip to <insert trendy mountain climb here>.

And no, a thru hike isn't a competition against other thru-hikers--but it's false logic to then say "competition is bad".
The competitive pirit is GOOD, and contributes to your success rate in more than just a thru-hike.very well said.

tdoczi
06-27-2012, 20:52
Guess it depends on what you set as "goals" and what you set as your "plan". When I go out, my goal is to enjoy myself, challenge myself to hike a bit beyond my comfort level, accept the weather and mountains for what they are and adapt to them. My "plan" may be to do this by way of a thru hike, long section hike, or a weekend hike, depending on my circumstance at the time. To me, changing my "plan" does not result in the hike being a failure. If this were true, then all the thru-hikers who didn't make it to their planned destination on day one, would have actually failed. Certainly not the way I want to look at life.

And no, I have not thru-hiked the AT, but yes, I have done a long-distance, multi-month hike and actually exceeded the planned destination. This happens often, I exceed my planned hike.

I guess if you grew up in a competitive environment you may view goals and plans differently. I just don't think it's necessary to imply that "how can that not be viewed as a failure" because someone changed their plan. They may well have met every one of their goals.

world of difference between changing a plan because you want to and just failing to complete your original plan. one is changing your mind about what you want to do, the other is failing to do what you want to do. again, not saying there arent positives to take from every failure, because there certainly are, but by definition, it is failure to want to do something, to plan to do it, to attempt to do it and not succeed for reasons other than you decided you really didnt want to do it.

hikerboy57
06-28-2012, 13:27
one of the intregal parts of planning is planning for change, that any plan needs flexibility to adjust to unforeseen circumstances or conditions, or just because you want to. i have a tendency to "overplan" my section hikes, so that i know what to do, where to go, should an emergency arise, or if i should decide to be impulsive an explore an area originally not in my "plan".
so much of my "plan" is actually no plan at all.its this acceptance of new conditions and the ability to adjust to those conditions that has led me down paths i never would have hiked otherwise.
to not follow through with a "plan" does not necessarily constitute failure, or as ed viesturs says" getting to the top is optional. getting down is mandatory.
HYOH.

tdoczi
06-28-2012, 14:24
to not follow through with a "plan" does not necessarily constitute failure,

maybe, maybe not. if deep down inside you realyl still want to do whatever the "plan" is btu are unable, that, no matter how you try to color it, is called a failure.

if halfway through something you truly decide you just dont want to do it and change your plana ccordingly, thats not a failure. only you will know the difference.

or in short, to answer the OP's question- because they want to finish.

hikerboy57
06-28-2012, 14:41
"or in short, to answer the OP's question- because they want to finish"

and THAT....is the right answer.

Mountain Mike
06-28-2012, 14:55
It's not, just a high point of the journey. To me long distance hiking is just more efficient & I feel more a part of the trail. You get in great shape & get into a routine. I can't imagine doing it for a week or two every year & just when you get in shape & atuned to it you have to get off the trail.I hold section hikers in high esteem for this reason. To me they put a lot more effort into their hike. You get to feel the highs & lows in the extreme on a thru. The end is a goal, but just one of many. Each day you set goals. How far, what to see, etc. I think most thru hikers will consider the end of the hike a high point, but there are so many high points of a trip. From special places on the trail & the people they meet along the way. Almost 25 years after my through I still keep in touch with several people I met on the trail. Same holds true for people I met on the PCT.

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 15:19
"or in short, to answer the OP's question- because they want to finish"

and THAT....is the right answer.Why did not hiker cross the divide?To get to the other side.:D

Yes Hiker Boy you got it right.I didn't asked the question that I really wanted to ask(cause it was a little preachy),but without asking it,I'll answer it anyway.(what's wrong with statement;rhetorical)

OK,I would suggest that if you have finished a thru-hike,you are in the minority of a growing number,and should be rightly and zealously proud of your accomplishment without reproach,further those that come after you in there attempt should be given the courtesy of your knowledge,humbly and ....without reproach.
thank you to those who posted,some very good feed back here.

That is all.:)

tdoczi
06-28-2012, 16:17
Why did not hiker cross the divide?To get to the other side.:D

Yes Hiker Boy you got it right.I didn't asked the question that I really wanted to ask(cause it was a little preachy),but without asking it,I'll answer it anyway.(what's wrong with statement;rhetorical)

OK,I would suggest that if you have finished a thru-hike,you are in the minority of a growing number,and should be rightly and zealously proud of your accomplishment without reproach,further those that come after you in there attempt should be given the courtesy of your knowledge,humbly and ....without reproach.
thank you to those who posted,some very good feed back here.

That is all.:)

if there is such a thing as reproach shown by people who have finished a thru towards those who have not (and i cant say ive observed such a thing here) it is one of those things that i think ONLY exists here amongst the small minority we are who likes to argue about these things.

i mean ive witnessed recently thru hikers telling other thru hikers about how they have or intend to aqua blaze whatever part of the trail. did anyone jump up say "hey you cant do that or else you arent really a thru!!!" lol no, of course not, that nonsense only happens here. people who have their own hike to actually worry about are much les inclined to care about someone else's.

hikerboy57
06-28-2012, 16:22
Most of the theoretical problems we discussed here ron white blaze I've never actually experienced on the trail itself.

hikerboy57
06-28-2012, 16:24
Actually I can never remember having an argument with somebody on the trail, With the exception of an occasional hiking partner

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 16:25
if there is such a thing as reproach shown by people who have finished a thru towards those who have not (and i cant say ive observed such a thing here) it is one of those things that i think ONLY exists here amongst the small minority we are who likes to argue about these things.

i mean ive witnessed recently thru hikers telling other thru hikers about how they have or intend to aqua blaze whatever part of the trail. did anyone jump up say "hey you cant do that or else you aren't really a thru!!!" lol no, of course not, that nonsense only happens here. people who have their own hike to actually worry about are much les inclined to care about someone else's.Yep,agreed,I also think,after some consideration of the matter,that if we have a problem with the way we are looked at(for what ever reason,finishing late,or not finishing)isn't that really our own problem,and not that of the person who would find our way unacceptable?It really is all about Acceptance on our part,no?

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 16:27
Actually I can never remember having an argument with somebody on the trail, With the exception of an occasional hiking partnerI wouldn't think so either,it's only here it exists,no?

hikerboy57
06-28-2012, 16:42
I wouldn't think so either,it's only here it exists,no?its just frustration from too much typing and not enough hiking.see below.

tdoczi
06-28-2012, 16:44
Yep,agreed,I also think,after some consideration of the matter,that if we have a problem with the way we are looked at(for what ever reason,finishing late,or not finishing)isn't that really our own problem,and not that of the person who would find our way unacceptable?It really is all about Acceptance on our part,no?

exactly like what i was saying about failure. only you will know if you have failed or not and you cant REALLY fool yourself. and i suppose sometimes you cant fool others either. if i had to quit a hike because my leg was broken i dont think anyone would buy "yeah, i coulda finished but i just didnt want to anymore, ya know?"

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 16:50
its just frustration from too much typing and not enough hiking.see below.
Oh,So true,and still it's all good.:) A fella told me this once,he was a cool character.

"I'm so :cool: the :sun shines on me 24 hours a day"! not bad,not bad at all!

Chummin' for Bear
06-28-2012, 16:54
I love what Don said back in January when he credited an unnamed but wise multi-thru hiker as saying, "There are two type of people who finish a thru. Those that love being on the trail every day and would rather be no where else and those that just refuse to quit. I started off as the former but ended up as the latter." Some people are hard-wired to finish what they start and others not so much. It doesn't make one type better than the other, just more goal oriented, persistent, stubborn, perhaps even hard-headed, etc. HYOH

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 16:57
I love what Don said back in January when he credited an unnamed but wise multi-thru hiker as saying, "There are two type of people who finish a thru. Those that love being on the trail every day and would rather be no where else and those that just refuse to quit. I started off as the former but ended up as the latter." Some people are hard-wired to finish what they start and others not so much. It doesn't make one type better than the other, just more goal oriented, persistent, stubborn, perhaps even hard-headed, etc. HYOHInteresting,I may just be more task oriented.

Capt Nat
06-28-2012, 19:45
I haven't done it but I'll weigh in. I think it just comes down to looking in the mirror and deciding whether or not you're proud of that person. As an old man, I know that injury could be a real factor in whether or not I can finish. I know that if I just sit on the couch and don't try, I won't be very proud of myself. If I just can't physically make it, I'll be proud that I tried. If I just whimp out, that will cause me shame unless I discover that it's not worth my investment in time. It's all personal to me and the only opinion that matters is mine.

SassyWindsor
06-28-2012, 19:52
you'll never finish a hike if you don't even start one. Starting on a trip has always been my problem.

Hairbear
06-28-2012, 20:05
i have not yet hiked the a t it has been a life time goal.i have saved my money i have used my gear alot to get used to it and im in training now and have been for a long time ,enjoying every trail i can gobble up localy.2 questions for more experienced persons.1 does the man make the journey or does the journey make the man or woman from a non sexist view point.2 do superior people finish the trail or does finishing the trail make superior people.It seems to me we all hike for a reason if that reason is fulfilled in the middle stages of a journey is not that the point of completion and the rest is extra miles to prove something else.perhaps there is more than one completion point.i hope to complete the entire a t that is my goal and anyone that knows me will say i am the most stubborn s o b they know maybe it will finally pay off.i just dont want to miss a miss a chance to expand my view point because i narrow my view to finish. what can i expect

Wise Old Owl
06-28-2012, 20:07

We agree on that.

Old Hiker
06-28-2012, 22:10
Why?

Yeah, braggin' rights, but not to go around other people to do so. Just for my own sake.

Because I wanted something for ME after 56 years that I planned, saved for and carried through with minimal support from home.

Because if I started and failed to finish, it WOULD be a failure for ME. It WAS a failure, as I sprained and fractured my ankle 1.5 days after having to take 3 weeks off for soft tissue injuries. I'm not about to say it was just for the journey. I want to finish, damn it!

I can hike anywhere, anytime. To hike the entire AT would be something different for me.

Because I get to put my entire wealth of 496 miles to use and buy lighter gear for the next time. I learned a lot by doing it.

To prove to myself that I can do it if I don't injure myself. Whoops - who put that mud puddle on a totally flat section of trail ?!?

Because it's something not many people are capable of planning, let alone carrying through. I'm not looking down on section hikers, long-term 2000 milers or anyone else. I just know what I want to accomplish and how.

Because it was fun and still is and will be again in 2016. or 2020. or 2024. Or whenever I can make it the whole way in one season during a leap year. I NEED that extra day!

HYOH and see ya' out there. Good luck to all those who try.

Bronk
06-29-2012, 03:37
Many times you'll find that nothing grows at the top of a mountain...

“To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top.”
― Robert M. Pirsig (http://www.whiteblaze.net/author/show/401.Robert_M_Pirsig)

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 06:51

“To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top.”
― Robert M. Pirsig (http://www.whiteblaze.net/author/show/401.Robert_M_Pirsig)I like that saying.+1

tdoczi
06-29-2012, 07:01

― Robert M. Pirsig (http://www.whiteblaze.net/author/show/401.Robert_M_Pirsig)

the "ONLY" part i agree with. i wouldnt say that everyone who wants to finish their thru hike is living only for the top of the mountain though.

hikerboy57
06-29-2012, 07:23
so then what do you do after you finish?many turn right around and do it again.and again. acheiving your goal is great, but then you have to set another one. i still think that for some, reaching that goal is most important, and not reaching it can be deemed a failure. I do believe any reasonably fit person can complete a thru hike if he has the will and determination to finish, no matter what, and i do think that some 2100+ miles of trail walking is a great acheivement. i believe anything in life is possible. i teach goal setting here at work, helping people set and achieve both professional and personal goals, and the key element is focus. the ability to focus on a task create a plan, and see it through to its completion. that the good lord said you can have anything you want in ife, just not everything. again, its a matter of pririties, focus, and acheiving your goal. but for me, its still more about the journey than the destination.ive had too much coffee. over and out.

fiddlehead
06-29-2012, 07:32
Sorry, didn't read all the responses.
Doesn't matter. I can only speak for myself and my thoughts anyway.

I hike cause it's fun. The only thing I "worry" about regarding the finish, is how to make enough money to start again in the spring.

If you're not having fun out there, why keep going?

(anyway, that was always my philosophy. now that I have a kid, it's all a different game of course)

Grampie
06-29-2012, 10:24
If someone is serious about doing a thru-hike it takes a lot of preperation. The folks who do the proper preperation, not the ones who decide at the last minute to walk on the AT, are the ones who have half a chance to finish.
Along the way the properly prepaired hikers discover a driving force to finish their thru-hike. The reason why are many and are different for different hikers. For me it was the feeling that I had beat the odds. When I finished my thru-hike, walking the whole way from Amicalola Falls in Georgia to Katahdin in Maine was one of the biggest personal accomplishments in my lifetime. It's something that 80% of those who try fail to do.
Of coarse all those that have tryed and failed have a good reason for doing so.

AndyB
06-29-2012, 10:41
because it was a goal I set for myself, pretty simple really

Monkeywrench
06-29-2012, 16:22
For me, the goal is what drives the journey and gives me a sense of accomplishment when I'm done, the journey is what gives me pleasure and satisfaction.

AndyB
06-29-2012, 18:31
Besides..isn't a thruhike by definition, from beginning to end? "worry about finishing"? Maybe I'm not understanding the question

AjR
06-29-2012, 18:45
I haven't got to do my thru hike yet, but I have a feeling that when I do, it will be the same as when I climb mountains out here. Yes, it sucks, my legs hurt, I'm out of breath, the sun is too bright and too hot, but I have a goal in mind. I always want to quit about halfway up ( I did a mountain out here that was 1920' in about 100-105 heat), but I know what is at the top of that mountain, and for me, that's worth it. Great views, an even better work out, and at the end of the day, I feel like I accomplished something.

Blue Jay
06-29-2012, 19:08
The folks who do the proper preperation, not the ones who decide at the last minute to walk on the AT, are the ones who have half a chance to finish.
Along the way the properly prepaired hikers discover a driving force to finish their thru-hike.

This is sooo wrong on soooo many levels. Almost everyone figures it out as they go due to the fact that there is absolutely no way to prepare for something you cannot possibly know ahead of time.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 19:24
The demographics I think are largely the retired and the college age.It would be interesting to know what group has historically finished,the older folks,perhaps with the ability of temperament and a longer time of real world experiences,or the younger folks,with youth and health on there side.

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 19:36
This is sooo wrong on soooo many levels. Almost everyone figures it out as they go due to the fact that there is absolutely no way to prepare for something you cannot possibly know ahead of time.

I am not saying that those who "plan and prepare" for the AT are always successful in completing their thru, but I have to respectfully disagree with your statement. There are many ways to plan for the AT:

You can make sure that you have the right gear.
You can start with a lighter load than countless others before you.
You can financially prepare yourself.
You can mentally prepare yourself to some degree.
You can physically prepare yourself for some of the challenges on the trail.

Can you prepare yourself for everything? Definitely not. But by reading AT journals, asking other hikers who have completed their thru, reading AT books, and asking questions on WB - you are definitely more prepared than some hiker who decides a few days before that he is going to hike the AT. Now he may finish and you may not, but you will be more prepared.

So many people quit the AT because you hear over and over, "It wasn't what I expected." I suspect that many hikers started off with packs that were way too heavy; sleeping in shelters with snorers and rodents. Well after a few sleepless nights like this, I think that many hikers would be ready to give up.

Only time will tell if many of us are ultimately successful or not, but it won't be because we didn't know how to prevent a lot of these very common beginner mistakes. Can you plan for everything? No - not saying this at all. But there really are a lot of things you can prepare and plan for on the AT.

kayak karl
06-29-2012, 19:49
time will tell? going back 4 years i know people that read, planned, read more, posted and posted, and still said "It wasn't what I expected." blue jay is right. just post if sassafras mt. kicks your butt :)

WingedMonkey
06-29-2012, 19:54

Yep.

Reminds me of a young man I met at Shaw's in Monson. He had never backpacked before leaving Springer.

I had read the books (not much online then), had two years worth of Wingfoot's guides, the brand new Trail Companion, figured out all my calories and food values. I had hiked since my pre-teens.

Not sure where on the trail we became equal, but by Monson you couldn't tell us apart.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 19:59
Certainly there must be some that just showed up,and finished,but I wouldn't think thats a very common formula,with a high sucess rate.

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 20:19
For me, the goal is what drives the journey and gives me a sense of accomplishment when I'm done, the journey is what gives me pleasure and satisfaction.

I love comments that nail a subject with just one line.......

Blue Jay
06-29-2012, 20:27
You can make sure that you have the right gear.
You can start with a lighter load than countless others before you.
You can financially prepare yourself.
You can mentally prepare yourself to some degree.
You can physically prepare yourself for some of the challenges on the trail.

So many people quit the AT because you hear over and over, "It wasn't what I expected."

No you can easily make it with any even "wrong" gear
No you can make it with a heavy pack, in fact I've noticed many multis carry heavy
No you can make it ratbag
There is no possible way to prepare mentally, try to pactice long term cold wet tired and hungry, good luck
I've found fat people often go the whole way because they lose the weight very fast and then feel better than most

Thanks for proving my point. "It wasn't what I expected" means your plan sucked, better not to have one at all

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 20:40
No you can easily make it with any even "wrong" gear
No you can make it with a heavy pack, in fact I've noticed many multis carry heavy
No you can make it ratbag
There is no possible way to prepare mentally, try to pactice long term cold wet tired and hungry, good luck
I've found fat people often go the whole way because they lose the weight very fast and then feel better than most

Thanks for proving my point. "It wasn't what I expected" means your plan sucked, better not to have one at all

I think you need to read everything I wrote there. You may have hiked the AT, but that doesn't make you right all the time. Reading comprehension is a useful tool - because otherwise you just end up being a tool. I was respectful in my response to you. I don't think you can plan for everything and I stated that the "planners" aren't necessarily the ones who always complete the AT. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the fewer mistakes you make, the greater your odds of success!

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 20:48
But it doesn't take a rocketsocks to realize that the fewer mistakes you make, the greater your odds of success!

fixed......

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 20:54
fixed......Thanks Chin,I was tryin to figure out how to do that with out getting caught,6 pak on the way....to ya!hehehe

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 20:57
LOL I almost did that myself!

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 21:21
LOL I almost did that myself!and that would have been fine!

Penn-J
06-29-2012, 21:44
I just came home from a PCT thru hike attempt. I made it to Mammoth Lakes. (900 miles). I feel a little bummed about it but I really don't care if anyone thinks that I failed. My money was getting thin and I didn't want to end up broke when I got home.
I think because I thru-hiked the AT in 09, finishing the PCT as a thru-hike just wasn't that important.
As I was hiking the John Muir section, I remember reading that Mr. Muir didn't really like the idea of "hiking". He was more inclined to saunter. And I was thinking about that a lot as I was hiking past some AMAZING places. I really wanted to slow down but I felt like I had to "go, go, go".

So I guess I didn't really worry about finishing the trail.
I am more concerned about really experiencing different environments, for my soul and spiritual benefit, not my ego.

BobTheBuilder
06-29-2012, 21:48
Wow - what an odd thread. First, when does wanting to accomplish something make you competitive? Wanting to beat other people makes you competitive, and I have never met a thru who thought that it would mean more if others didn't finish. Second, in what world are "wanting to finish" and "enjoying the hike" mutually exclusive? If you are a hiker that does 3 or 4 miles a day, smokes an ounce of weed a week, and spends 2 out of 3 days in town, you probably won't finish. but is that really the definition of enjoying your hike?

I admire people who have completed a thru. If that is braggin' rights, so be it. I'll buy you a beer, no worries.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 21:58
I just came home from a PCT thru hike attempt. I made it to Mammoth Lakes. (900 miles). I feel a little bummed about it but I really don't care if anyone thinks that I failed. My money was getting thin and I didn't want to end up broke when I got home.
I think because I thru-hiked the AT in 09, finishing the PCT as a thru-hike just wasn't that important.
As I was hiking the John Muir section, I remember reading that Mr. Muir didn't really like the idea of "hiking". He was more inclined to saunter. And I was thinking about that a lot as I was hiking past some AMAZING places. I really wanted to slow down but I felt like I had to "go, go, go".

I am more concerned about really experiencing different environments, for my soul and spiritual benefit, not my ego.Yep,my real name is Rocket Saunter Socks III Did you see any bears there in Mammoth Lakes?

Penn-J
06-29-2012, 22:07
Yep,my real name is Rocket Saunter Socks III Did you see any bears there in Mammoth Lakes?

Only saw one bear. Not at Mammoth Lakes, but right before Kennedy Meadows.
I thought it was cool that the motel 6 had bear resistant trashcans.
Cool name by the way!

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 22:09
Did you see any bears there in Mammoth Lakes?

Or at least plenty of ski-bums, looking at the calendar.........

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 22:10
Only saw one bear. Not at Mammoth Lakes, but right before Kennedy Meadows.
I thought it was cool that the motel 6 had bear resistant trashcans.
Cool name by the way!It's for sale,50 cents....

Penn-J
06-29-2012, 22:12
It's for sale,50 cents....

Out of my price range!

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 22:15
It's for sale,50 cents....

I think 50 cent is for sale too........

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 22:21
I think 50 cent is for sale too........:eek:Doh...............

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 22:22
Out of my price range!I'll work wit ja.

Sarcasm the elf
06-29-2012, 22:42
Mr. Socks III,

It is a very interesting question, and the rare question where I think I agree with all sides. I had originally joined this site as a section hiker wanting to get ideas for a 2010 thru hike, unfortunately a terrible economy and an underwater house have confirmed that I will be a section hiker for the next couple of decades. To me the idea of completing the trail gives my past-time purpose. When I go out for a weekend, week, or two week hike, I like to get as far as I enjoy getting, but I never worry about the destination. Each piece is unimportant, however when strung together the idea of hiking the entire trail gives my little vacations purpose.

Trying to get out and hike on a regular basis when I have a house, pets, a girlfriend and other lots of responsibilities requires help from people that care about me who are willing to see that everything stays okay back home while I'm gone. I think it helps that those who are close to me understand that even though I'm going to the trail to get away, relax and reflect, it is part of something larger, an accomplishment that really means a lot to me. The more I hike, the farther away the un-hiked trail is from my doorstep and I'm finding that the logistics of getting to each new hiking spot takes more planning than the now routine itinerary and resupply plans. While I'm perfectly content to re-hike the same trail again and again (I've hiked all the sections of Connecticut and most of Mass multiple times since I can get there easily) the need to hike to finish the trail, the drive to accomplish this goal binds all of it together and pushes me farther out each year.

Honestly it isn't about anybody else, except maybe my hiking buddy and my girlfriend, but then they want me to hike the whole trail too, especially because they get to join me for lots of it.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 23:01
Mr. Socks III,

It is a very interesting question, and the rare question where I think I agree with all sides. I had originally joined this site as a section hiker wanting to get ideas for a 2010 thru hike, unfortunately a terrible economy and an underwater house have confirmed that I will be a section hiker for the next couple of decades. To me the idea of completing the trail gives my past-time purpose. When I go out for a weekend, week, or two week hike, I like to get as far as I enjoy getting, but I never worry about the destination. Each piece is unimportant, however when strung together the idea of hiking the entire trail gives my little vacations purpose.

Trying to get out and hike on a regular basis when I have a house, pets, a girlfriend and other lots of responsibilities requires help from people that care about me who are willing to see that everything stays okay back home while I'm gone. I think it helps that those who are close to me understand that even though I'm going to the trail to get away, relax and reflect, it is part of something larger, an accomplishment that really means a lot to me. The more I hike, the farther away the un-hiked trail is from my doorstep and I'm finding that the logistics of getting to each new hiking spot takes more planning than the now routine itinerary and resupply plans. While I'm perfectly content to re-hike the same trail again and again (I've hiked all the sections of Connecticut and most of Mass multiple times since I can get there easily) the need to hike to finish the trail, the drive to accomplish this goal binds all of it together and pushes me farther out each year.

Honestly it isn't about anybody else, except maybe my hiking buddy and my girlfriend, but then they want me to hike the whole trail too, especially because they get to join me for lots of it.Well,that is one of the best and concise,well thought out responses one could read,I sure hope you attain your goals,as I define mine.Thanks for the reply Mr.Elf,always a pleasure.:)I wish you could say the same....wait what,never mind.hehehe,wait...huh

Iceaxe
06-29-2012, 23:36
I began hiking long distance trails thinking it would be such a great achievement to complete.
When i completed the first trail, I was actually sad that the lifestyle was over.
Finishing was cool, don't get me wrong..
It is just that; living under the sun each day, at the mercy of the weather, talking to myself sometimes, sleeping under a different mountain, on different ground every night...
SETTING MY OWN PACE.. That is IT!
Setting ones own pace and rythym for life.. and I am not just talking hiking miles here.
Finishing is important in that it provides a premise for the journey.. keeps cohesion.
Not everyday is going to be nice and sunny. (Actually I still doubt Connecticut ever sees sunlight..)
The goal gives you strength when times are rough.
The odd thing is that; for me, finishing is not a "jumping up and down" moment.
It is more of a very happy moment mixed with: "dang.. guess I am a plumber again".
Going back to 9 to 5.
Sorta feels like I am holding my breath here in civilization just waiting to accrue enough dollars to hike again.

I guess the simple answer is that the "idea" of finishing is important but the journey itself is the rewarding and lasting experience.
No matter how far you've hiked.

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 23:36

I am more concerned about really experiencing different environments, for my soul and spiritual benefit, not my ego.

Penn-Do you believe that if it had not been for financial concerns that you would have finished the PCT? The reason I ask is that I guess I am always trying to caution hikers (especially younger ones) that the financial aspect has a great deal to do with the success of their attempt.

Penn-J
06-30-2012, 01:40
Penn-Do you believe that if it had not been for financial concerns that you would have finished the PCT? The reason I ask is that I guess I am always trying to caution hikers (especially younger ones) that the financial aspect has a great deal to do with the success of their attempt.

l concerns that you would have finished the PCT? The reason I ask is that I guess I am always trying to caution hikers (especially younger ones) that the financial aspect has a great deal to do with the success of their attempt.[/QUOTE]

I know I could have finished the PCT. I spent more money than I wanted to in towns. It wasn't because I "party" or anything like that. I don't drink, or smoke etc..
Of course the younger hikers have to watch out for that. Beer is expensive.
I was just going through my $$ to quickly. I know I should have budgeted better.
Most hikers say that 3 months of trail life is plenty in a calender year. If I had the finances I know without doubt that I could have kept going all the way to Canada. I know when I get back on the trail in Mammoth Lakes (probably next year), I will be fresh and ready to go!
I could have just taken nero days (camp right before town, hitch in, do town chores, and hitch back in the same day) for the rest of the trip and made it to Canada, but I have to admit, I like a good zero day.
This trip was much more of a social one for me. I hiked with amazing, fun people and I really enjoyed the comradery. If we were going out to dinner or getting a motel room I really didn't want to say no. I remember thinking sometimes "man, I cant believe I'm spending this much"
I truly believe that we sell our time for money and we all only have so much to sell. So every time I spent more $$ than I wanted to, I felt really awful.
I would suggest when trying to caution people about their hikes, suggest to them to try to have a budget, like only spend so much money a month.
But, I don't look at my PCT hike as a failure. I think the fact that I got to experience 900 miles of an amazing trail, in different environments than I'm familiar with, a major success!
I have to admit, when people say to me, "I heard you hiked the WHOLE Appalachian Trail" I feel pretty good.
But that really doesn't matter does it? If it's the accomplishment people are after than more power to ya, HYOH right?
But I think it's the experience, not the accomplishment that brings me back to the trails again and again

Giantsbane
06-30-2012, 01:59
I was diagnosed with depression last november and in mid march of this year, after 6 months I finally started to pull my self out of it. The thing that triggered it was watching a youtube slideshow video of somebody's AT hike with a song by one of my favorite bands. For me, doing a thru hike is much more than just saying that I've done it (although the bragging rights that come with it will be great). It will be a reminder to myself that I can do anything I want. And it will be a small thank you to the trail and the landscape that helped me when I was at one of my lowest points.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 02:20
I was diagnosed with depression last november and in mid march of this year, after 6 months I finally started to pull my self out of it. The thing that triggered it was watching a youtube slideshow video of somebody's AT hike with a song by one of my favorite bands. For me, doing a thru hike is much more than just saying that I've done it (although the bragging rights that come with it will be great). It will be a reminder to myself that I can do anything I want. And it will be a small thank you to the trail and the landscape that helped me when I was at one of my lowest points.Right on man!,I love hearin stories like this,it provides hope for others.Stay cool,stay well,just stay.Big heck ya comin your way!

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 05:12
l concerns that you would have finished the PCT? The reason I ask is that I guess I am always trying to caution hikers (especially younger ones) that the financial aspect has a great deal to do with the success of their attempt.

I know I could have finished the PCT. I spent more money than I wanted to in towns. It wasn't because I "party" or anything like that. I don't drink, or smoke etc..
Of course the younger hikers have to watch out for that. Beer is expensive.
I was just going through my $$ to quickly. I know I should have budgeted better.
Most hikers say that 3 months of trail life is plenty in a calender year. If I had the finances I know without doubt that I could have kept going all the way to Canada. I know when I get back on the trail in Mammoth Lakes (probably next year), I will be fresh and ready to go!
I could have just taken nero days (camp right before town, hitch in, do town chores, and hitch back in the same day) for the rest of the trip and made it to Canada, but I have to admit, I like a good zero day.
This trip was much more of a social one for me. I hiked with amazing, fun people and I really enjoyed the comradery. If we were going out to dinner or getting a motel room I really didn't want to say no. I remember thinking sometimes "man, I cant believe I'm spending this much"
I truly believe that we sell our time for money and we all only have so much to sell. So every time I spent more $$ than I wanted to, I felt really awful.
I would suggest when trying to caution people about their hikes, suggest to them to try to have a budget, like only spend so much money a month.
But, I don't look at my PCT hike as a failure. I think the fact that I got to experience 900 miles of an amazing trail, in different environments than I'm familiar with, a major success!
I have to admit, when people say to me, "I heard you hiked the WHOLE Appalachian Trail" I feel pretty good.
But that really doesn't matter does it? If it's the accomplishment people are after than more power to ya, HYOH right?
But I think it's the experience, not the accomplishment that brings me back to the trails again and again

Penn-Thanks so much for being so candid. It sounds like you had a blast! I personally think that you did it the right way, but that perhaps just needed to start out with a little more money. I hope that everyone will perhaps take heed and maybe leave a little later; save a little more if finances are tight. That's why when some of the younger hikers think they can survive on $1000-$2000 to do the AT, I try to encourage them to save more because they are setting themselves up to not finish. I just think it's a shame when money prevents someone from achieving their goal. Likewise, who wants to stay back at camp instead of going to town with friends??

Do you mind sharing with us how much money you started with and how long it lasted? I just honestly think it could help so many hikers. Realistically, many hikers need to know that just in the last 2 yrs since the gas increases, that prices have gone up so much. (But hey, if you would rather not - that's OK too. Just thought it could help others.)

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 05:39
Penn-Thanks so much for being so candid. It sounds like you had a blast! I personally think that you did it the right way, but that perhaps just needed to start out with a little more money. I hope that everyone will perhaps take heed and maybe leave a little later; save a little more if finances are tight. That's why when some of the younger hikers think they can survive on $1000-$2000 to do the AT, I try to encourage them to save more because they are setting themselves up to not finish. I just think it's a shame when money prevents someone from achieving their goal. Likewise, who wants to stay back at camp instead of going to town with friends??

Do you mind sharing with us how much money you started with and how long it lasted? I just honestly think it could help so many hikers. Realistically, many hikers need to know that just in the last 2 yrs since the gas increases, that prices have gone up so much. (But hey, if you would rather not - that's OK too. Just thought it could help others.)right you are Pilot,costs have soared across the board,so all the talk about $2500,or what ever number,is off the mark...quite a bit.I personally would even start a thru-hike without $4000 min,I have nothing to base that figure on,it just seems right,where as $3400 does not.It sure would be a shame to go off trail due to funds,to get so close and fall short because of money.

Penn-J
06-30-2012, 16:37

Do you mind sharing with us how much money you started with and how long it lasted? I just honestly think it could help so many hikers. Realistically, many hikers need to know that just in the last 2 yrs since the gas increases, that prices have gone up so much. (But hey, if you would rather not - that's OK too. Just thought it could help others.)

I wanted to do the whole trail on $4000. If I would have hiked solo, and not with groups, and not take to many zero's, I know I probably would have made it to Canada.
Almost everyone I ever talked to who thru-hiked the PCT says there were ready to be finished hiking by Oregon or Washington.
2,600 miles is a long, long way! I don't want to just be "going through the motions"
When I first got into hiking, the idea of a thru-hike was very appealing. And the fact that I did one makes me feel like "been there, done that"
Now I really want to enjoy my hiking. I want to hike slow, really enjoy every moment, not feel like I have to hike 20 miles a day every day.

I would suggest that future hikers really take the time to figure out why they want to thru-hike. If it's primarily for bragging rights, then I think that's a shallow and self-centered reason.
But I have to admit, finishing the Appalachian Trail was very important to me at the time.
Now I think that its really not that important.
When Benton MacKaye came up with the idea of the Appalachian Trail, it was never meant to be hiked from one end to another in one year.
I feel that was something we just ended up doing due to the fact that our society is very goal oriented and "end" oriented, where the destination is more important then the journey. I guess it's just human nature.
I want to saunter more with my hiking. Not just plod through to achieve a shallow goal.
I want to saunter more with my life also. Not just plod through to achieve shallow goals, shallow material possessions etc...

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 16:45
I wanted to do the whole trail on $4000. If I would have hiked solo, and not with groups, and not take to many zero's, I know I probably would have made it to Canada.
Almost everyone I ever talked to who thru-hiked the PCT says there were ready to be finished hiking by Oregon or Washington.
2,600 miles is a long, long way! I don't want to just be "going through the motions"
When I first got into hiking, the idea of a thru-hike was very appealing. And the fact that I did one makes me feel like "been there, done that"
Now I really want to enjoy my hiking. I want to hike slow, really enjoy every moment, not feel like I have to hike 20 miles a day every day.

I would suggest that future hikers really take the time to figure out why they want to thru-hike. If it's primarily for bragging rights, then I think that's a shallow and self-centered reason.
But I have to admit, finishing the Appalachian Trail was very important to me at the time.
Now I think that its really not that important.
When Benton MacKaye came up with the idea of the Appalachian Trail, it was never meant to be hiked from one end to another in one year.
I feel that was something we just ended up doing due to the fact that our society is very goal oriented and "end" oriented, where the destination is more important then the journey. I guess it's just human nature.
I want to saunter more with my hiking. Not just plod through to achieve a shallow goal.
I want to saunter more with my life also. Not just plod through to achieve shallow goals, shallow material possessions etc...

Wow. So you started with $4000? I agree that the trail is so much about what you enjoy along the way and the friends that you make and share good times with. But I think this also gives an indication of just how expensive things are getting out there.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 16:47
I did not know that the trails intent was not to be hiked in one attempt,herd someone else say that the other day too,maybe Lone Wolf? interesting.

Penn-J
06-30-2012, 16:50
Wow. So you started with $4000? I agree that the trail is so much about what you enjoy along the way and the friends that you make and share good times with. But I think this also gives an indication of just how expensive things are getting out there.

Yeah, I agree. California is expensive! The whole damn country is expensive.

Kibble n Bit
07-02-2012, 18:50
Which direction are you Goin' sublimety.. NOBO or SOBO

OzJacko
07-03-2012, 07:59
This is a good thread with some interesting entries. Without any certainty that I am in anyway right I'll throw in a couple of thoughts.
I am still to set foot on AT but hope to thru in 2013. I do claim some cred as a hiker in that I thruhiked my local track (Bibbulmun) in 2011 and have done many section hikes on it as well. It is 600miles and I did it in 36 days - it's on TrailJournals.com and YouTube.

Section hiking and thru hiking are different mindsets. I read somewhere on WB recently that section hikers enjoy their hiking more and I think there is a lot of merit to that statement. When I section hike I just go out and enjoy myself. I carry more "goodies", take more photos, don't stress and relish the experience.
When I did my thru I had a goal and each day was a step towards it. I still "enjoyed" the hike but I pushed through pain and weather far more than on a section hike.
There was always that goal and while I still looked at sunrises and sunsets, marvelled at views and treasured some moments such as wildlife encounters they were inconsequential to my goal and I would have done the hike without them.
When you set yourself to do a thruhike it is the accomplishment you seek, not the journey. Your attitude may (will) change during the hike and this can make not finishing easier but if it doesn't not finishing can leave a feeling of failure.
Personally I love both and get differing satisfaction from both.
Re old and young hikers, I suspect young hikers have a greater % fail due to finances and older hikers for injury. (Not rocket science that one) :-)
When I come to Springer in March 2013 I will be looking to thru hike (on MY standards of pure), and to experience the social side of the AT that makes it unique.
In 2014 I am tentatively going to do the Camino de Santiago with my wife and will treat that one more like a section hike (very grey for purity as befits my heathenism).

WIAPilot
07-03-2012, 08:28
This is a good thread with some interesting entries. Without any certainty that I am in anyway right I'll throw in a couple of thoughts.
I am still to set foot on AT but hope to thru in 2013. I do claim some cred as a hiker in that I thruhiked my local track (Bibbulmun) in 2011 and have done many section hikes on it as well. It is 600miles and I did it in 36 days - it's on TrailJournals.com and YouTube.

Section hiking and thru hiking are different mindsets. I read somewhere on WB recently that section hikers enjoy their hiking more and I think there is a lot of merit to that statement. When I section hike I just go out and enjoy myself. I carry more "goodies", take more photos, don't stress and relish the experience.
When I did my thru I had a goal and each day was a step towards it. I still "enjoyed" the hike but I pushed through pain and weather far more than on a section hike.
There was always that goal and while I still looked at sunrises and sunsets, marvelled at views and treasured some moments such as wildlife encounters they were inconsequential to my goal and I would have done the hike without them.
When you set yourself to do a thruhike it is the accomplishment you seek, not the journey. Your attitude may (will) change during the hike and this can make not finishing easier but if it doesn't not finishing can leave a feeling of failure.
Personally I love both and get differing satisfaction from both.
Re old and young hikers, I suspect young hikers have a greater % fail due to finances and older hikers for injury. (Not rocket science that one) :-)
When I come to Springer in March 2013 I will be looking to thru hike (on MY standards of pure), and to experience the social side of the AT that makes it unique.
In 2014 I am tentatively going to do the Camino de Santiago with my wife and will treat that one more like a section hike (very grey for purity as befits my heathenism).

Excellently stated! Really enjoyed reading this!!