PDA

View Full Version : When It Has Rained a LOT on the AT

WIAPilot
06-27-2012, 14:50
Are there any places that are dangerous to cross? Any contingencies?

Red Hat
06-27-2012, 15:27
several places in Maine can be really dangerous when the water gets too deep. For the Kennebec, if the canoe isn't going in bad weather, you have to hitch around. Most other places you can wait for it to go down or suck it up and be careful....

RED-DOG
06-27-2012, 16:15
I agree Maine is the most dangerous when it rains alot.

wookinpanub
06-27-2012, 17:01
I don't remember many bridges in Maine. Most moving water was forded, thereby making it pretty dangerous during rainy times. 15 of my first 18 days had precipitation, so I was wet a lot, totally going under on 2 different crossings.

rocketsocks
06-27-2012, 17:36
I seem to remember a stat that said something like 9"of flowing water has enough force to take a person off there feet.Now never been to Maine,but I have waded some rivers,and one of the things to look out for is submerged logs floating by,some say unclasp your pack in case you go down(I think thats great advise,tough I'd tether it some how too)and slow sure footed placement is key,no rushing,just let your feet feel the way,and don't stick em in a whole,some face up stream,I always face down stream in heavy flowing water,the idea being,if you get taken off your feet they are moving in the direction in which you are falling,unless your falling backwards of coarse,anywho,thats how I've always done,crossing with others on shore is not a bad idea either,safety in numbers thing Y Swim MV.

Namaste
06-27-2012, 20:15
In Maine 2008 the rain knocked out the plank bridge across the Carrabasset which was obviously too violent to ford so Miss Sue gave me a ride around it.

kayak karl
06-27-2012, 20:31
anytime it rains heavy moving water is dangerous.
in the winter as snow melts water flows over trail. watch out for slippery rocks and ice under this water.
be leary of green rocks on a cold wet morn.

rainmaker
06-27-2012, 22:12
When hiking in Maine, if the creeks don't get you, the bog bridges will. Be vewwy vewwy careful.

on_the_GOEZ
06-27-2012, 23:42
The mid-Atlantics (NY & NJ mainly) were completely flooded out last year after hurricane Irene and the tropical storm following (Katja?) There were points (at least 3 times) when I would cross a flooded stream which the trail was intersecting and would carry my pack above my head until the water reached my chest (then eventually turned around and road walked, e.g. north and south of Vernon, NJ) Bridges were warshed out and the water was flowing quickly. Heavy rain in these areas can get ugly. Afterall, the lowest point of the trail is Bear Mtn, NY.

Maine was dangerous at times but well worth it.

peakbagger
06-28-2012, 06:58
Yes there can be issues in the Northeast but usually they are short event in the summer and fall. Not as rapid as flashfloods out west but as long as there isnt a snowpack the waterlevel drops quickly after it stops raining. If you happen to be out on the tail end of three day rain event. Here is a link to the USGS stream flow for the Wild River that drains the east side of the WMNF in Maine, its not on the AT but its a good indication of a typical drainage that you may find in Maine. The last three days have been steady rain. I expect that if you look at it tomorrow you will see ithe flow dropped considerably. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv/?site_no=01054200&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060 . If someone needed to cross this river during the rain they would best have looked for a way around.

There are contigencies for many of the crossings in Maine but they generally involve a substantial detour. Thats one of the reasons carrying maps is recomended in Maine.

AndyB
06-28-2012, 11:30
I was a Ridgerunner in 96. There was a hurricane that year, every creek became dangerous..Sage's Ravine campground was an island for a few days

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 11:46
I was a Ridgerunner in 96. There was a hurricane that year, every creek became dangerous..Sage's Ravine campground was an island for a few daysHurricane Fran Aug 23-Sept 6 1996

Mishigami Manitou
07-02-2012, 11:14
The mid-Atlantics (NY & NJ mainly) were completely flooded out last year after hurricane Irene and the tropical storm following (Katja?)

I was section hiking Vermont last year when that storm came through. JEEZ! Stream crossings weren't nearly as bad as hiking up the side of a mountain in the face of a giant water fall that had replaced the trail. I felt like I was trying to climb Niagara in some spots. Worse, the normally muddy Vermont turned into the jungles of Borneo afterwards.

What a miserable hike that was.

Don H
07-02-2012, 12:41
In Maine 2008 the rain knocked out the plank bridge across the Carrabasset which was obviously too violent to ford so Miss Sue gave me a ride around it.

That plank was there when I went through last year, it was tied with a cable to the rocks. That was before Irene, after Irene I heard it was gone.
I was smart enough to beat feet to Shaw's and got there just before Irene. The crossing in the 100 Mile Wilderness were dangerous. Even little creeks that you could hop over without getting you feet wet were bad.