PDA

View Full Version : Jacket for late February, '13 start?

ole slo
06-27-2012, 18:04
Unless something catastrophic happens I will start a Thru attempt next February. In the process of building a gear list I came to a question about which jacket to use as my insulation layer. For better or worse I am devoted to Mont Bell so I have artificially limited my choices to the following. Alpine Light, Down Inner, XL down jacket.

I would like to hear if anyone has had experience with any of these in the kind of weather that can be expected with that starting target.

Thanks for your help.

Ole Slo

bigcranky
06-27-2012, 18:51
I have a down inner vest, and I wouldn't want something that thin in February and March on the Southern AT. I'd take the Alpine Light Parka with the hood. Don't discount winter down there.

bigcranky
06-27-2012, 18:53
I see you are from a wintery clime, so you can handle the cold. Expect lows in the teens to low 20s, and highs anywhere from mid-20s to 60 on any given day. One issue with the weather is that we'll often get sleet and freezing rain instead of snow. Just fyi.

ole slo
06-29-2012, 18:40
Thanks BC. That's exactly what I needed.

10-K
06-29-2012, 19:06
You can get more mileage out of it if you have a rain jacket large enough to wear over your down jacket to block the wind and keep in the heat.

A Dri Ducks jacket is perfect for this.

1azarus
06-29-2012, 19:09
Here's a suggestion that I make with caution -- try this out in december and january before that february start... and maybe listen to those who will tell you that my suggestion is irresponsible.

Grant from Gossamer Gear uses a way-too-big rain jacket (he and I both use frogg toggs) and he wears the hood of his sleeping bag over his head, runs the bag down his back, and tucks it around on his stomach -- all under the rain jacket. Really cold? run the bag between your legs inside your rain pants, then pull it up. His point is that you have a huge amount of down in your bag that could keep you warm if you could just wear it. and he does. In the winter I take this approach one step further and bring a pair of down sleeves -- meant to mate with a vest or a Jacks r Better convertible underquilt. At night, when actually in the bag, I generally use the down sleeves as foot warmers or leggings (yes, I am a skinny old man). So, then, the remaining issue is to make sure you have the clothing you need to stay warm while hiking and during short breaks. Oh, if you want to take long breaks without dragging out your sleeping bag, can all this advice and bring a down jacket! I find that a nanopuff jacket and a windshirt with the rain jacket as backup provide enough day time insulation to keep me more than comfortable. This has worked really well for me year round -- the sleeping bag just gets lighter in the summer.

By the way, I don't know of many people who use this approach because it makes you look like an idiot. I generally don't mind that.

10-K
06-29-2012, 19:12
By the way, I don't know of many people who use this approach because it makes you look like an idiot. I generally don't mind that.

+1 Me too!

kayak karl
06-29-2012, 19:21
in january/febuary i wore layers. wicking T, silk long sleeve, Mt. Hardware micro fleece. if windy or snowing i put on my packa on. i don't even own a jacket and think i would sweat if i had one even in single digits.

lemon b
06-29-2012, 19:38
Down when sleeping, Goretex type shell when hiking. Worry more about the sleeping pad. But my experience is down beats fleese if you can afford it.

BrianLe
07-03-2012, 00:47
I started in late Feb in 2010 and used a Montbell Alpine Light parka. I found this to be a great choice, then was happy to swap out at Pearisburg for something a lot lighter.

ChinMusic
07-03-2012, 01:15
I will be probably starting in late Feb '13 as well. I will be starting with a fairly robust down parka, much warmer than most folks bring. My choice is the Nunatak Shaha Plus: http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/garments/skaha_plus_muf.htm

I do NOT plan on being cold at camp and being forced into my bag early (been there, done that). In fact I will be using the parka for sleep as well on many nights. This will allow me to take a lighter bag than I otherwise would need. I will prob get away with a 30° bag unless things turn real cold. I have had this combination down to the upper teens and was very comfortable. This plan of going overboard on the jacket and underboard on the bag has worked for me. I will not be guessing unless we are looking at something under 15 degrees (I still might be fine at 15, I just have not had the chance to test it there). If it gets much colder than that I will probably be pulling off the trail and waiting it out.

I look kinda silly wearing that Parka at temps around freezing, but dang it, I'm comfortable. On those night were I just need the bag it makes a heck of a pillow.........

jeffmeh
07-03-2012, 08:28
Many different ways will work. I like the MontBell EX Light, but would also take a couple of 150 Merino and a 200 Merino long top, a couple of Merino long bottoms, a down hat, a polypro balaclava, a windshirt, and a Packa. As it warms up you can jettison the balaclava and a long top and bottom, and still get use out of everything else.