PDA

View Full Version : Home For Sale in AT Trail Town, Near SNP--Includes AT-Style Shelter On Property

Skyline
06-28-2012, 00:03
The log home I've lived in for almost 20 years went on the market this month, and because of its location I want to make the AT community aware of its availability. I am significantly downsizing my Virginia living arrangements (moving to a smaller dwelling in town), since I co-located to Southern Delaware a couple of years ago. Some health issues that recently cropped up also make maintaining the property more challenging at this time.

The home, which is in move-in condition, is located just three miles north of Luray, VA, which is a few miles west of Thornton Gap and an AT crossing in Shenandoah National Park. From the expansive front porch, there is a direct view of the Blue Ridge Mt., SNP, a few Skyline Drive features, and if you know where to focus--even the AT itself. The original log home was built in 1987, and was renovated this past winter. Two new additions were added in 2007, bringing total useable space to about 2,700 sq. ft. It sits on three acres of level or gently sloping land in what is considered a desirable rural subdivision.

Though subdivision covenants would seem to frown upon the property being used as a hostel, it does boast an AT-style shelter with appropriate amenities tucked away near the rear of the acreage. There is a hot shower, sink and toilet with entry from the outside without users going through the rest of the home, and the interior door to that bathroom can be locked. There is nothing prohibiting invitingfriends or hikers passing through from visiting and staying in the shelter (or tenting nearby) so long as it's not operated as a business, non-profit magnet, or commercial facility. I've done just that for many years without repercussion when I've met hikers up on the AT or in town.

It's got four bedrooms including a huge loft/master BR with bath and two walk-in closets. The layout suggests several configurations--a home office or mother-in-law suite are two examples of uses in addition to the typical home. The kitchen has been recently re-done and features upscale stainless steel appliances, and all three bathrooms were updated this past winter. The living room features an efficient woodstove, and there are five porches, a dog run, a deer-proof garden, and a large shed. Most of the home is served via central air conditioning and heat, on three zones. There is a lot of high-tech hard-wiring for a computer network, satellite internet and TV, Sirius satellite radio, and more.

I've put up a website with lots of photos and more details about all the perks that convey with a sale: www.ShenandoahDreamHome.com (http://www.ShenandoahDreamHome.com). To discuss the home further, or set up a viewing, please call me at my business' toll-free number: 866-893-1490.

Thanks,

Skyline

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 00:25
Skyline,I'm not in the market,but just wanted to say,you have a beautifulhome and hope your health continues improve.

bwburgin1015
06-28-2012, 09:01
Skyline...What is your asking price?

Jefe
06-28-2012, 09:15
Looks like 359.9K

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/297-Rhodes-Way-Luray-VA-22835/79243402_zpid/

Skyline
06-28-2012, 10:12
Skyline...What is your asking price?

Asking price is $359,900--slightly below the most recent 2012 appraisal.

Skyline
06-28-2012, 10:24
Looks like 359.9K

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/297-Rhodes-Way-Luray-VA-22835/79243402_zpid/

Wow, there are some inaccuracies on that site. The HVAC system installed 2007 is ignored (it says baseboard heat, implies no AC). The sq. footage is inaccurate. The last selling price in 1993 was for the basic log home (it has been added onto twice, plus the AT shelter added, and professsionally landscaped since). And much more.

Best advice: Anyone who is curious, or actually interested, should come see it. Don't rely on some website's "proprietary" algorithm to establish a value; some distant webmaster really hasn't a clue. I would state that same advice whether they high-balled it or low-balled it. Ask for me at 866-893-1490 and we'll talk about value vs. price or anything else, and arrange a viewing if desired.

Skyline
06-28-2012, 10:43
Skyline,I'm not in the market,but just wanted to say,you have a beautifulhome and hope your health continues improve.

Thanks. By end-of-year, I hope to have lasting good news on the health front.

It is with a heavy heart that I even put this home on the market, but a combination of factors nudged me to do so.

The location is absolutely perfect for someone into hiking and backpacking. There are over 700 miles of good hiking trails within about an hour's drive--including 100+ miles of the AT. Over the past decade, Luray has increasingly become the trail town of choice between Waynesboro and Harpers Ferry for both thru-hikers and section hikers. We have the only outfitter in that stretch, and plenty of the other amenities hikers seek; it's also the halfway point in that stretch. It's much more common to see hikers in town from April to November than it was when I first moved here. Part of the charm of the property is that it has been designed so you can host hikers as you please through personal invitation, without operating a full-scale hostel (which would not bring smiles to the HOA anyway).

Jefe
06-28-2012, 12:35
Wow, there are some inaccuracies on that site. The HVAC system installed 2007 is ignored (it says baseboard heat, implies no AC). The sq. footage is inaccurate. The last selling price in 1993 was for the basic log home (it has been added onto twice, plus the AT shelter added, and professsionally landscaped since). And much more.

Best advice: Anyone who is curious, or actually interested, should come see it. Don't rely on some website's "proprietary" algorithm to establish a value; some distant webmaster really hasn't a clue. I would state that same advice whether they high-balled it or low-balled it. Ask for me at 866-893-1490 and we'll talk about value vs. price or anything else, and arrange a viewing if desired.

Yes, I have found many inaccuracies in their listings, but you can update/adjust them towards reality. The one thing it did properly is show your listing price. I have always wondered why that simple "bottom line" is purposely left out of an otherwise very detailed listing.

Your cabin is awesome btw. I wish I had the means to make a serious offer...

Ktaadn
06-28-2012, 13:18
I would love to have a setup similar to this someday. I can't do it yet though.

Best of luck to you.

Mrs Baggins
06-28-2012, 16:16
This is great....now if it were just over the border from Maryland in Pennsylvania. We'll be looking for something like this next year - land and all. We need a big garage or shop building as well. No subdivision/covenants though. That's part of the reason we will be selling our house - - HOA rules that prohibit us from having our pop up trailer, no vegetable gardens, can't even put up a glass storm door without permission. We're done with this.

Cookerhiker
06-28-2012, 17:11
This is great....now if it were just over the border from Maryland in Pennsylvania. We'll be looking for something like this next year - land and all. We need a big garage or shop building as well. No subdivision/covenants though. That's part of the reason we will be selling our house - - HOA rules that prohibit us from having our pop up trailer, no vegetable gardens, can't even put up a glass storm door without permission. We're done with this.

And people complain about "big government!"

Mrs Baggins
06-28-2012, 19:08
Your point? It's OUR house, WE got the loan, OUR names are on the tax bill and the loan payments, and when it's paid for OUR names our on the final deed. And yet you think the HOA is okay?? Freaking control nazis.

Cookerhiker
06-28-2012, 20:07
Your point? It's OUR house, WE got the loan, OUR names are on the tax bill and the loan payments, and when it's paid for OUR names our on the final deed. And yet you think the HOA is okay?? Freaking control nazis.

I think you totally missed my point; we're in violent agreement about HOAs which I why I'd never consider owning a house with one because, in your words, their are replete with control freaks. They're another example of the intrusion of private, non-governmental organizations in our lives. I've heard of some cases where homeowners planted the wrong color of azaleas and consequently got slapped by the HOA. Truly absurd.

Mrs Baggins
06-28-2012, 20:37
Okay, you're right. I reacted to what I saw........I hate the HOA. I get the reasoning of not wanting the house next door get painted fluorescent pink and put gypsy tents up in the front yard. But come on.....we can't install a storm door without permission? A veggie garden is not permissible? We have to pay a storage facility to keep our little pop up trailer because the HOA says it's not allowable in the driveway. I want out of here. I am the first to admit that I thought I could live with this....I can't. I'm also the first to admit that I cannot...so don't even bother to go to the "you bought into" crap. I already know that. We made a mistake. And now we're going to fix that . Seriously, you never made a mistake?? Right.

Skyline
06-28-2012, 22:48
Some HOAs are totally out of control, both with power-tripping and soaking residents financially.

The HOA in my subdivision just north of Luray isn't one of them. Our HOA fees are only $100 per year. That's $8.33 per month. There are subdivisions near where I live in Delaware that charge nearly $10,000 per year!

Our HOA basically maintains a few unpaved roads and tells residents to cut back their foliage at intersections when it becomes difficult for drivers to see around the bend any oncoming traffic.

Our covenants are written to keep out dirty, smelly chicken houses as neighbors; to make sure residences meet a few basic standards before they are built; and to make sure our residential subdivision stays, well, residential. That's it.

Our HOA fees are dirt cheap. Our property taxes aren't outrageous either. A neighbor who had her house for sale a few years ago told a prospect her taxes were $1,200. The prospect, from the DC suburbs, said, "That's not much more than I pay every month in Fairfax." My neighbor said, "No, that's $1,200 per year."

chief
06-28-2012, 22:58
Interesting. It's your mistake, yet the HOA are "control nazis". I'm sure they'll miss you when you're gone!

Back on subject - Skyline, your place looks like a labor of love, good luck with the sale.

shelb
06-29-2012, 00:20
Thanks. By end-of-year, I hope to have lasting good news on the health front.

It is with a heavy heart that I even put this home on the market,...).

I hope things begin looking up for you....