PDA

View Full Version : Massachussets section hike

redworm
06-28-2012, 11:52
Me and a buddy did CT last summer and will be continuing our summer hike doing MA later this summer. Can anyone offer any tips, do's don'ts, shelters to avoid, etc.

my main question is how much food and water should I start with? I know there is resupply in Dalton and North Adams, but any convenience stores, etc along the way? I will have my steripen with me, from what I have read there is plenty of water in MA

thanks in advance

redworm
06-28-2012, 11:53
should clarify we are starting at RT 23, great barrington

Cosmo
06-28-2012, 12:05
Dalton is your best bet for near-trail resupply. Cheshire has some, but is only 10miles north of Dalton. Frankly, you should be able to do the whole distance in about 4 days, so resupply may not be an issue (good to go over Mt Greylock with as little weight as possible, anyway).

Goose Pond Cabin is a good stop, excellent swimming and pancakes for early risers. Shaker campsite (a possible first stop from Rt 23 has had occasional issues with a bear and raccoon (at this point, we don't think they are working as a team). Use the bear box to store your food and smelly items.

As Lemon b pointed out, things are in pretty good shape and water is reasonably plentiful. It's available at/near every overnight site (Wilcox North might be getting dry)--read the front page of each site's register book to find the location.

Behave yourselves, respect others and have a great hike,

Cosmo

Alligator
06-28-2012, 12:09
The Shaker campsite only has two tent platforms as well from what I recall.

Cookerhiker
06-28-2012, 14:36
You're hiking "this summer." I'd recommend putting it off as long as you can to minimize mosquitoes. In other words, August is better than July, late August is best.

Louise Morrow
06-29-2012, 00:01
Many thankshttp://www.50centloseweight.com/jhkh.gif

redworm
06-29-2012, 09:32
thanks for the tips, we are doing this first week in august