PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hikers water concerns

FestiveLongJohns
06-28-2012, 14:46
Hello all, I am planning a thru-hike of the CT starting the first week of July (coming right up!) and I have a few concerns about the water supply available on the trail. I understand that it was an unusually dry winter, and I have been hearing reports on the record temperature highs in the Colorado area. The news of the extreme heat and wildfires are a bit of a deterrent for me. Does anyone have any insight on the water scarcity, and/or any advice on how to best prepare for water shortages along the trail?

Thanks so much for any advice, hopefully I see some of you on the trail later in the month :D

rastayogi
06-28-2012, 15:24
First few sections are really dry. Just make sure to carry at least 3 liters and drink a ton when you get to a water source.

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 15:47
And:welcome to White Blaze,there's some CT boys who I'm sure will weigh-in later,so keep checking back.And have a great hike!Big Oops,see now your looking to hike the CT,not in CT,though same thing,or PM "Mags" he lives in CO,and I'm sure would be happy to help with info.

FestiveLongJohns
06-29-2012, 00:05
Thanks for the kind words and information. I'm familiar with Mags trail guide, in all honesty it has been one of the most useful resources I have found in regards to planning my trip! I'm confident in my ability to adapt, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't impossible at this point.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 00:08
Thanks for the kind words and information. I'm familiar with Mags trail guide, in all honesty it has been one of the most useful resources I have found in regards to planning my trip! I'm confident in my ability to adapt, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't impossible at this point.Cool,good luck with your hike.