PDA

View Full Version : Setting Speed Records?

bert304
06-28-2012, 16:58
While I was reading the new posts the other day, it occured to me that alot of people are trying to set speed records.:-? I thought it was supposed to be enjoyed, but how can you really enjoy it by doing 20 plus miles in a day? Is this a new trend to hike as fast as possible? How about the slowest speed record?

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 17:01
Interestingly,I heard the slowest was 46 years,and the fastest was 46 days,but don't know if those numbers are correct,well at least the 46 years anyway.

hikerboy57
06-28-2012, 17:05
speed hikers enjoy going fast. slow hikers enjoy going slow. its the same scenery , the same mileage. speed hikers rarely hit 90mph, theres still plenty to see.
as far as the slowest, i started in 1976, and im still far from done!

tdoczi
06-28-2012, 17:08
While I was reading the new posts the other day, it occured to me that alot of people are trying to set speed records.:-? I thought it was supposed to be enjoyed, but how can you really enjoy it by doing 20 plus miles in a day? Is this a new trend to hike as fast as possible? How about the slowest speed record?

i dunno, how can someone enjoy sleeping in a tent until 9, sitting around having breakfast til 10, only hiking 2 hours before taking a 2 hour lunch, then calling it a day around 4 even though theres 3 hours of daylight left?

i get up, i start hiking. the literal end of the day (as in sunset) relative to where i can feasibly stop determines when i finish hiking. the unavoidable result of this process is a 20 mile or more day, very often. what about this seems unenjoyable exactly?

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 17:11
speed hikers enjoy going fast. slow hikers enjoy going slow. its the same scenery , the same mileage. speed hikers rarely hit 90mph, theres still plenty to see.
as far as the slowest, i started in 1976, and im still far from done!Speed hikers rarley hit 90,that made me spit my coffee out the nose,LOL

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 17:15
i dunno, how can someone enjoy sleeping in a tent until 9, sitting around having breakfast til 10, only hiking 2 hours before taking a 2 hour lunch, then calling it a day around 4 even though theres 3 hours of daylight left?

i get up, i start hiking. the literal end of the day (as in sunset) relative to where i can feasibly stop determines when i finish hiking. the unavoidable result of this process is a 20 mile or more day, very often. what about this seems unenjoyable exactly?
"What makes this seem unenjoyable"....well,it's over sooner,and back to work quicker,eh?

hikerboy57
06-28-2012, 17:16
I don't know I would equal 20 + miles a day speed hiking I just Call it hiking

leaftye
06-28-2012, 17:28

20 miles a day isn't that much if you're in good shape. That's less than 2 mph, and 2 mph is pretty slow. 2 mph is a pleasant walk in the woods with no rush at all.

Now pushing much over 3 mph is fast. 4 mph is speed demon territory.

What makes it agonizing is if you're in poor shape and didn't bring the right gear. You'll be sweating, your muscles will be sore, your feet will ache, you might injure a joint and have to go home... You can do that at 1 mph. Not being in good trail shape is what takes the joy out of walking, not the pace.

WingedMonkey
06-28-2012, 17:34
how can someone enjoy sleeping in a tent until 9, sitting around having breakfast til 10, only hiking 2 hours before taking a 2 hour lunch, then calling it a day around 4

Why is it when ever the subject of speed hiking is brought up, it's compared to these imaginary crawlers?

leaftye
06-28-2012, 17:38
Why is it when ever the subject of speed hiking is brought up, it's compared to these imaginary crawlers?

There are imaginary hikers? I knew the view on the AT was obstructed, but I didn't know it was this tricky.

jakedatc
06-28-2012, 17:50

For the number of speed record attemptee's i'm sure there are just as many that hike as described. the majority fall in between.

i'm like Tdoczi.. i'd rather not be sitting around at camp, especially at night. it is pretty boring. a mid day stop is nice to recharge and then see where a good place to stop will be in the time left.

Mags
06-28-2012, 17:55

Hyperbole perhaps. But I don't think it is exaggeration to say most people get a later rather than earlier start and tend to be in camp well before sunset (Esp if it is a first long hike).

Different is not bad or good...it is just well, different.

FWIW, I have enjoyed 20+ mile days on thru-hikes, and 3 mile days going with my buddy and his son on his son's first backpacking trip.

Personally, I am glad there are so many different ways people can love, experience and appreciate the outdoors.

:)

Lone Wolf
06-28-2012, 20:02
it wasn't meant to be thru-hiked either. it's all about the destination

bert304
06-28-2012, 20:07
It is actually all about the journey

Sarcasm the elf
06-28-2012, 20:16

I've hiked both ways that you described and enjoyed them both, all depended on when I was hiking, why I was out there and who I was hiking with. But I absolutely understand your point, to each their own, HYOH, YMMV etc. :sun

There are imaginary hikers? I knew the view on the AT was obstructed, but I didn't know it was this tricky.
The more I sit around posting on this site, the more I start to feel like an imaginary hiker.

it wasn't meant to be thru-hiked either. it's all about the destination I always appreciate when someone posts this reminder.

Wasn't it also originally thought that hikers would be smart enough to bring their own shelter or know how to find it? ;) Earl Shaffer's book made the shelters sound like they were few and far between.

BabySue
06-28-2012, 20:39
To one of the OP's questions, no I don't believe it is a new trend. The percentage of AT hikers looking to set a record or considering themselves to be "hiking as fast as possible" is infinitesimal.

Mikey Appleseed
06-28-2012, 20:44
Theres sooooo many answers to this, but Ill give you the reason I hike long days, I cant sit still....Sometimes I hike fast, sometimes slow, depends on my mood, food, hiking company, and my music playlist. Theres no wrong way to hike, unless you die trying, but theres arguments to that as well(died doing what he/she loved...yada yada). As long as your happy, who cares? You can always release your feelings on trail registers or websites....(ha ha he he).

Odd Man Out
06-28-2012, 20:46
To one of the OP's questions, no I don't believe it is a new trend. The percentage of AT hikers looking to set a record or considering themselves to be "hiking as fast as possible" is infinitesimal.

Also note that some of the people out to set speed records didn't make it very for even to the start of the trail.

Lone Wolf
06-28-2012, 21:03
It is actually all about the journey

so you've done a thru-hike then?

fiddlehead
06-28-2012, 21:31
As long as your happy, who cares?

What he said ^

tdoczi
06-28-2012, 21:48
"What makes this seem unenjoyable"....well,it's over sooner,and back to work quicker,eh?

haha not if your job is like almost every normal job where you go back to work on a set date whether you've hiked 50 miles by then or 100.

by the same token though, the slow approach ends each and every day prematurely, in my mind.

tdoczi
06-28-2012, 21:50
I don't know I would equal 20 + miles a day speed hiking I just Call it hiking

yeah same here, but as theres been surprisingly no one talking about actually setting a record around here lately i just assumed the OP was being hyperbolic. ya know, like how seem people if you tell them you're going to do 20 will have a witty comeback that goes something like "you trying to set a record?"

tdoczi
06-28-2012, 21:52

because NO ONE actually walks slow enough to only do 10 or 12 miles a day. you do that few miles a day by spending loads of time not walking. you ever see a hike moving at a steady .7 mile an hour clip for hours on end? i haven't.

Sarcasm the elf
06-28-2012, 22:12
. you ever see a hike moving at a steady .7 mile an hour clip for hours on end? i haven't.

Be careful what you wish for, after all this thread IS about speed records.:banana

Marta
06-28-2012, 23:17
Becoming Odyssa discusses this question at length.

rocketsocks
06-28-2012, 23:29
Yep,pretty good book.

jos2thehua
06-29-2012, 17:24
Why climb a mountain? Why drive fast? Why drink expensive beer? Why jump out of airplanes? Why even go hiking?

Hmm, maybe it's just personal preference and the fact that it's there to do? Who knew people had the free will to hike at whatever speed they wanted and with their own individual goals?

10-K
06-29-2012, 17:28

Because dammit. That's what we do here.

lemon b
06-29-2012, 18:03
Ya all trying to bring Chip outta retirement? Seen him this year hauling a 4 season tent in Ma, late March. And I wish he'd stop calling me Rat.

fredmugs
06-30-2012, 11:03

Amen brother. Too many people on here imposing their limitations on others.

Pedaling Fool
10-18-2012, 12:49
Why climb a mountain? Why drive fast? Why drink expensive beer? Why jump out of airplanes? Why even go hiking?You forgot one. Why run a marathon in flip flops? :D

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/pulse/201210/man-runs-246-marathon-flip-flops-runners-world
Man Runs 2:46 Marathon In Flip Flops

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Keith Levasseur ran Saturday's Baltimore Marathon in 2:46:58 while wearing flip flops. Levasseur will file paperwork with the Guinness Book of World Records to have the feat acknowledged as a world record for a marathon in flip flops.

Levasseur, a member of Maryland's Howard County Striders, ran his marathon PR of 2:38 at last year's Marine Corps Marathon. Before the Baltimore Marathon, he said his goal was to go sub-3:00 in flip flops.

"I had every intention of sticking to the race plan of finishing a little under 3:00, so my initial pace starting out was 6:40-6:50 [per mile]," Levasseur told Runner's World Newswire (http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-629-0-0-0,00.html). "After a few miles, I decided I go with whatever pace I could comfortably run, even if it was faster than my target pace. I know there are some decent hills later in the race and I didn't know how I would be doing from a time perspective at that point, so I gave myself some wiggle room by letting go on the downhills and cruising in the low 6:00's."

Levasseur, who placed 29th overall among 3,024 finishers, said that fellow racers as well as spectators noticed his footwear. Runners, he said, "were supportive of the effort and after a 'you're crazy' comment or two, they wished me luck. I heard a number of spectators saying, 'Hey, that's the flip flop guy!' as I passed."

A little past halfway, Levasseur started to get a hot spot on the top of his right foot. (The farthest he had gone in training in flip flops was 14 miles.) "I knew that what would normally result in a blister wasn't happening because there wasn't any room due to the snugness of the strap," Levasseur said. "Instead I figured it would just rub away the skin, which is what it essentially did." Levasseur said that focusing on his form was key.

"I knew it was all about maintaining a very efficient and balanced stride," he said. "There were times when I my feet and ankles would get tired from maintaining a more rigid stride than I might otherwise have and I would start landing more on the outside of the my foot and cause my heel to slip off the sandal. It only happened a few times and when it did, it would refocus my concentration on my stride and posture."

Levasseur said other challenges were cobblestones and railroad tracks, as well as uphills "since all the uphills were run more like stair stepping instead of fluid running."

The rules Levasseur had worked out with Guinness for record purposes required that he cover the entire course in flip flops; if one came off, Levasseur was to go back to it, put it back on, and then resume running. "They never fell off," Levasseur said. "There were times I would have to drive the front of my foot into the ground to re-secure the fit if they started to slide off. There were also a few times my heel would slip to the side, though they never touched the ground."

By the following day, Levasseur said, the balls of his feet were "quite sore," in part because "with the minimal padding and inability to place my foot like I normally do, I had to slap the front of my foot quite a bit, especially on the downhills." Levasseur said his ankles and quadriceps were also more sore than usual because of his altered gait.

"Many friends have asked if I'll do it again and my answer has been a resounding 'no,'" Levasseur said. "If someone breaks the record, I will simply congratulate them."

RCBear
10-18-2012, 14:04

I would say neither scenario you describe sounds enjoyable...to me! I have done the Rachel Carson Trail Challenge several times (36 miles in 15 hrs or less) and it was a great "one day" experience that truth be told for much of it was not enjoyable yet i continue to do it. For me, that type of effort or anywhere near it over a longer period simply does not seem enjoyable to me. Of course...I'm no longer 36 either :)

RCBear
10-18-2012, 14:14
Amen brother. Too many people on here imposing their limitations on others.

Fred, first of all, that scenario really probably doesn't exist. not with any significant relevance anyway. But more importantly, i just wanted to point out that the words "limitations" is an assumptive word choice in this situation. You forgot to footnote that. just thought i would help you out buddy. :)

tdoczi
10-18-2012, 14:24
Fred, first of all, that scenario really probably doesn't exist. not with any significant relevance anyway. But more importantly, i just wanted to point out that the words "limitations" is an assumptive word choice in this situation. You forgot to footnote that. just thought i would help you out buddy. :)

i believe that "scenario" was something i came up with. i may have been exaggerating, but not by much. folks who hike only 9 or 10 miles a day are simply not spending a lot of time hiking. nothing wrong with that, but thats how you end up hiking short mileage. no one actually walks that slowly.

and there are actually a good many thru hikers ive encountered over the years who once they are in shape and dont feel any compulsion to make miles will spend 2 or 3 hours banging out 10 miles a day and sit around doing nothing the rest of the time.

tdoczi
10-18-2012, 14:26
I would say neither scenario you describe sounds enjoyable...to me! I have done the Rachel Carson Trail Challenge several times (36 miles in 15 hrs or less) and it was a great "one day" experience that truth be told for much of it was not enjoyable yet i continue to do it. For me, that type of effort or anywhere near it over a longer period simply does not seem enjoyable to me. Of course...I'm no longer 36 either :)

i just enjoy hiking, not sitting around. even if i am not "enjoying" the hiking after 15 or 16 miles, the choice at that point is continue to hike anyway or stop and sit around. while neither might be ideal, i enjoy continuing hiking a lot more. its not even close.

RED-DOG
10-18-2012, 14:34
Who cares which one hikes 20+ miles a day or just 10 or who sets speed records, its about enjoying the trail oh yeah by the way when i left Springer this past Feb i did 20 miles right out of the gate i hike steady around 20-30 a day but never did under 20, so HYOH. RED-DOG

tdoczi
10-18-2012, 14:41
Who cares which one hikes 20+ miles a day or just 10 or who sets speed records, its about enjoying the trail oh yeah by the way when i left Springer this past Feb i did 20 miles right out of the gate i hike steady around 20-30 a day but never did under 20, so HYOH. RED-DOG

i agree. take note the thread was began by someone criticizing people who do big mileage. thats always how these things start, ive yet to ever see the "you hike too slow" thread.

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 14:45
i believe that "scenario" was something i came up with. i may have been exaggerating, but not by much. folks who hike only 9 or 10 miles a day are simply not spending a lot of time hiking. nothing wrong with that, but thats how you end up hiking short mileage. no one actually walks that slowly.

and there are actually a good many thru hikers ive encountered over the years who once they are in shape and dont feel any compulsion to make miles will spend 2 or 3 hours banging out 10 miles a day and sit around doing nothing the rest of the time.

Great comment... I agree with you!!!! I prefer to hike rather than sit around but too many miles a day for me takes the enjoyment away. I like to do around 12-14. It just depends but I have never stayed out long enough to get my real trail legs or feet. Plus, I like too many creature comforts to get my pack weight down low enough for me to bang out more miles with ease.

RED-DOG
10-18-2012, 14:48
Yeah tdoczi the guys that starts threads like this one, are useally the slow hikers, I always catch greef on the AT from people like this one, the slow hikers needs to learn its all about the SMILES and not the MILES. RACE YOU GUYS TO THE NEXT SHELTER. ha ha ha.

hikerboy57
10-18-2012, 15:03
my longest day was 21 miles. im more comfortable in the 15-18 mpd range, and there have been days i hiked no more than 8 miles. every day is different. im too slow for some, too fast for others.i do agree i rarely like to sit around, so i usually hike until an hour or so before dusk. some days i hike fast, some slow.

Spirit Bear
10-18-2012, 15:08

It took me 3 days to get from Georgia to main, by car that is.

BTW I think Jennifer Phar Davis averaged 3 miles per hour on her 46 days speed record. She did do miltiple 50 plus mile days though. She is one amazing woman.

Read her book, becomming odyssa or her husband's blog book, 46 days.

tdoczi
10-18-2012, 15:09
my longest day was 21 miles. im more comfortable in the 15-18 mpd range, and there have been days i hiked no more than 8 miles. every day is different. im too slow for some, too fast for others.i do agree i rarely like to sit around, so i usually hike until an hour or so before dusk. some days i hike fast, some slow.

just as a matter of nothing more than curiosity, how long did you hike on the 8 mile day?

RCBear
10-18-2012, 15:33
i agree. take note the thread was began by someone criticizing people who do big mileage. thats always how these things start, ive yet to ever see the "you hike too slow" thread.

I will also agree Tdoczi that just as many ultralighters can be annoying in their assessments, so to can those that go the opposite end as well. both sides feel they need to validate their positions and this tug of war takes place. I think the majority (i include myself in this) probably are capable of and do vary pace, equipment used/brought and other factors in our hiking/backpacking whether on thru's or sections or just a weekend. those that pack much heavier than most would consider and those that do so on the other end of the scale have a methodology that is most likely not as apt to flex or bend from.

at the end of the day, my mantra is that if upon finishing their time out they say, i enjoyed that, then they must have done it right....by anyone's standards if you ask me.

RCBear
10-18-2012, 15:40
and by the way, these forums may be about hiking, but really, isn't it more about what's going on around you than simply boiling it down to putting one foot in front of another. that's what i do on the treadmill and the stairs because i don't dedicate as much time to being on the trails as i nessecarily would like. so i don't want it to be about a-b for me. and that's not saying at all that it is for anyone else. i enjoy long distance days as well, but that is determined day of alot of times or if i do feel like sitting around camp "bored" on a particular day. but i will be sure to say hello to ya when you pass me 5lb tent...sorry, couldn't resist :)

hikerboy57
10-18-2012, 15:45
just as a matter of nothing more than curiosity, how long did you hike on the 8 mile day?it was in the mahoosucs sobo, got to gentian pond shelter around 2pm or so , i think it was my 3rd day out, and it was just so beautiful there, i just felt like hanging. and i had allowed 5 days to get to gorham, had plenty of time.there are days that i can sit for hours, other days(most) that i cant sit still for more than a few minutes.

tdoczi
10-18-2012, 15:54
it was in the mahoosucs sobo, got to gentian pond shelter around 2pm or so , i think it was my 3rd day out, and it was just so beautiful there, i just felt like hanging. and i had allowed 5 days to get to gorham, had plenty of time.there are days that i can sit for hours, other days(most) that i cant sit still for more than a few minutes.

yeah, even as tough as the mahoosucs are i dont think i could stand hanging out at gentian pond for 5 or 6 hours.

tdoczi
10-18-2012, 16:00
I will also agree Tdoczi that just as many ultralighters can be annoying in their assessments, so to can those that go the opposite end as well. both sides feel they need to validate their positions and this tug of war takes place. I think the majority (i include myself in this) probably are capable of and do vary pace, equipment used/brought and other factors in our hiking/backpacking whether on thru's or sections or just a weekend. those that pack much heavier than most would consider and those that do so on the other end of the scale have a methodology that is most likely not as apt to flex or bend from.

at the end of the day, my mantra is that if upon finishing their time out they say, i enjoyed that, then they must have done it right....by anyone's standards if you ask me.

oddly enough, around here anyway, the only carrying weight **criticisms** i see are from people who seem to think you arent doing it right if you dont carry as much as possible. this often ties into miles walked. dig around for the threads about JPD and youll find a nice rant about how the ranter in question could easily do what she did if he were willing to hike without carrying a giant backpack with him, which he was not, because apparently doing so would be wrong.

i personally find bragging about weight in either direction to be one of the more perplexing things that goes on around here.

hikerboy57
10-18-2012, 16:14
yeah, even as tough as the mahoosucs are i dont think i could stand hanging out at gentian pond for 5 or 6 hours.

at the time I was equipped with performance enhancing substances."

Lone Wolf
10-18-2012, 16:26

at the time I was equipped with performance enhancing substances."why even be in the woods then if y'all can't stand the woods?

tdoczi
10-18-2012, 16:34
why even be in the woods then if y'all can't stand the woods?

because i like 'em just fine if i'm walking. its just walking, right?

for what its worth, sitting around my living room is no fun either.

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 16:36
at the time I was equipped with performance enhancing substances."

Oh I think I know what you are talking about.... those colored blocks, right?

HikerMom58
10-18-2012, 16:38
why even be in the woods then if y'all can't stand the woods?

Some peeps can't sit still no matter where they are... I can relate.... :)

hikerboy57
10-18-2012, 16:45
because i like 'em just fine if i'm walking. its just walking, right?

for what its worth, sitting around my living room is no fun either.

hey i just spent 3 days in harriman doing loops, did maybe 20 miles or so over 3 days. monday i got to fingerboard at 3pm after hiking 3 hours in the rainI had been hiking since 8am, not hiking 3 hours), it was another 8 miles to the next site,and i decided id rather just hang out. it ws nice to just sit, listen to the wind and the rain rustling the leaves, watching the birds, got a great pic of a hairy woodpecker( ill download my pics tonight). and it was great.great just to be out.its a beautiful park, and thre are so many loop variations, its a great place to stop/start whenever you want. i just love being out there.

tdoczi
10-18-2012, 19:31
hey i just spent 3 days in harriman doing loops, did maybe 20 miles or so over 3 days. monday i got to fingerboard at 3pm after hiking 3 hours in the rainI had been hiking since 8am, not hiking 3 hours), it was another 8 miles to the next site,and i decided id rather just hang out. it ws nice to just sit, listen to the wind and the rain rustling the leaves, watching the birds, got a great pic of a hairy woodpecker( ill download my pics tonight). and it was great.great just to be out.its a beautiful park, and thre are so many loop variations, its a great place to stop/start whenever you want. i just love being out there.

you are clearly more patient than i.

hikerboy57
10-18-2012, 20:44
wherever you go, there you are. patience comes with age, young grasshopper.
the main reason i prefer to hike alone is i can hike as fast or slow,as far or short as i want. i tend to be pretty impulsive and will hike as my mood fits me. i am no camper, for sure, but there are times i can sit in the late afternoon for hours into the evening and simply watch the light change as the sun sinks below the horizon and the stars begin to wink on,and wonder how lucky i am to have survived my youth and to be able to experience such serenity and beauty, to know how little i really need to be truly happy.

RCBear
10-18-2012, 20:58
wherever you go, there you are. patience comes with age, young grasshopper.
the main reason i prefer to hike alone is i can hike as fast or slow,as far or short as i want. i tend to be pretty impulsive and will hike as my mood fits me. i am no camper, for sure, but there are times i can sit in the late afternoon for hours into the evening and simply watch the light change as the sun sinks below the horizon and the stars begin to wink on,and wonder how lucky i am to have survived my youth and to be able to experience such serenity and beauty, to know how little i really need to be truly happy.

Amen brother...

trovar
10-21-2012, 03:02
As was mentioned before, some derive enjoyment from going fast. Everyone's different!