PDA

View Full Version : Beer Can Pot

Giantsbane
06-28-2012, 18:04
I'm working on switching my kitchen set over to alcohol stove and a Foster's beer can pot. I was reading about the pots online and most people say they use the pots just for boiling water and mix their food in a different container. Does anyone have experience with beer can pots and cooking or not cooking in them?

Zippy Morocco
06-29-2012, 09:25
I feel like they would be hard to cook in because of the clean up . I will do coffee in it though. Otherwise I typically pack dried food into ziplocs and add water to those. I only use my Heineken set up solo. For two I take a Caldera cone and pot.

BigRing
06-29-2012, 11:51
I had made a couple beer can pots, so I tried cooking in one as an experiment. They are difficult to clean and scrubbing causes the light metal to become distorted.

Spokes
06-29-2012, 13:39
Agreed. Not meant as a cook pot. Boil pot- yes.

Giantsbane
06-30-2012, 13:47
I tested it out in my garage and I am not a fan. Not even for boiling. Kudos though to anyone that can use one well.

theinfamousj
06-30-2012, 16:50
Echoing what everyone else has said: boiling yes, cooking no. Besides, since cooking generally requires more fuel anyway, it is just easier to take a more substantial (read: heavier) cook kit. There are some substantial pot sets for under $30 that you can cook in with no problem.

mamamiapdx
07-23-2012, 00:44
I have cooked rice in beer can pot, using a pot cozy for 15-20 minutes. But IMO you are better off with a light weight aluminum/titanium pot and than the beer can pot on durability concerns. if you are making one yourself then you can consider them.

Deacon
07-23-2012, 08:14
You have to have made a previous decision to freezer bag cook before going with a Fosters can. I've done this and went with a Caldera Cone Keg system and love it.

With the system there is a plastic case that doubles as two additional drink containers.

The best part is the entire system including stove, can, containers weigh a grand total of 63 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drybones
07-23-2012, 08:39
I used a beer pot thru hiking this spring and it works well for boiling water but you dont want to cook food in it. Just carry a supply of zip lock freezer bags and put the hot water in them to heat your food, no clean up needed. If you use a stove made from the proper size aluminum spray can you have a very stable system which is a primary reason I used it. The stove will fit into the depression in the can bottom. Biggest problem is damaging the can. I used an aluminum wind screen wrapped around it to protect it. Pot, stove, wind screen, velcro wrap, and bag weighed 3 oz. I also made a huggie to slip the zip lock bag into while eating, keeps the food warm and helps keep food off you.