PDA

View Full Version : Loop trails near Ga. Campgrounds

Gator 65
06-28-2012, 21:44
My son and I have been looking for a campground in Ga. Where we can set up camp and do some 10-15mile trails during the day then return to the campground at night. We are experienced hikers just looking for a weekend of " slack packing". I am not sure if the Black Mountain Stae Park has any substantial LOOP trails to hike. Any suggestions?

Gator65

Hoop
06-28-2012, 22:18
Vogel, State Park. Coosa Backcountry Trail, 13 mi loop start & finish in the park. Check in at the office for a permit.

Also, if you go a little ways into North Carolina, Standing Indian Campground has some great loops.

burk
06-28-2012, 22:19
Try FDR state Park near Columbus and and Pine Mountain. 23 mile trail and side connectors.

Toli
06-28-2012, 22:19
My son and I have been looking for a campground in Ga. Where we can set up camp and do some 10-15mile trails during the day then return to the campground at night. We are experienced hikers just looking for a weekend of " slack packing". I am not sure if the Black Mountain Stae Park has any substantial LOOP trails to hike. Any suggestions?

Gator65

Thats got Vogel SP written all over it... Coosa Back Country/ Blood Mountain Via the HairBear/BMT Duncan Ridge Trail... Ur Golden...

peteyglad
06-28-2012, 22:48
Another vote for Vogel.

attroll
06-29-2012, 00:22
Moved this to the "General" forums.

Gator 65
06-29-2012, 19:00
Thanks for all the info. Looks like Vogel is the place where we will go. For a side item, I hiked Shenandoah National Park last month and had some very wet days so I hope the fires will not be too destructive. I still consider the Park the best part of the trail after the 100 Mile wilderness on my 2009 thru hike. There is nothing like a milkshake and cheeseburger every day!

Gator 65

ATMountainTime
06-29-2012, 19:13
Vogel is good, but theres alot of motorcycle noise there. AND it's just up the road from Mountain Crossings, which is a must go.

Had a pair of 'little' fuzzy animals turn my cooler there last year....i dont mean racoons. :)