PDA

View Full Version : sixmoons europa2 or squall2

neo
04-19-2005, 22:56
i am thinking about getting a six moons design europa 2 or a sqaull 2
they are both single wall simular in design wieght and price,both are approx.2 lbs
would love to hear from people that have used these tents,getting one for me and my new wife:cool: neo

Mike
04-19-2005, 23:58
Just got a Squall 2 this week. Got it with the extended sewn in floor. Total weight of the system (tent, poles, stakes, bag) is 2lb 2oz. (1oz under manuf weight) I will replace the front pole with trekking poles and add 2 more stakes (total of 6). This should be a wash as far as weight goes.

Total weight is all I got. I will not be using it (except in the backyard) until late may. I am very interseted to see how well the peak vent works.

neo
04-20-2005, 00:03
Just got a Squall 2 this week. Got it with the extended sewn in floor. Total weight of the system (tent, poles, stakes, bag) is 2lb 2oz. (1oz under manuf weight) I will replace the front pole with trekking poles and add 2 more stakes (total of 6). This should be a wash as far as weight goes.

Total weight is all I got. I will not be using it (except in the backyard) until late may. I am very interseted to see how well the peak vent works.

thanks mike:cool: neo

hikerjohnd
04-20-2005, 00:18
I got my Europa 05 on Friday and have set it up in the yard. It was breezy when I set it up and the air really moved through the inside of the tent nicely. I find the hybrid single wall/double wall an interesting development. With 4 stakes (not included) it weighs in at 37.5 ozs. They shipped it with the wrong rear pole, but one call and they fixed that right away (so the service has been excellent). I love the headroom (moving up from a Virga) and can even move around freely in the rear of the tent. I'm not sure about the vestibule closure yet - the full velcro might prove difficult to close securely when inside the tent... I guess I'll find out this week! It is definitly roomy enough for me and all my gear.

Marta
04-20-2005, 14:51
I don't have the Squall, but I do have both a Cloudburst and a Virga. Love them. My Cloudburst has a sewn-in floor, which I really like. For some reason (I thought I was going hiking in Nevada this spring), I decided to get the Virga without a floor, and have been using a Tyvek mat. It's growing on me, but for use in the east, I definitely recommend the sewn-in floor. The Shires tents are easy to put up, roomy for their weight, well ventilated, and the customer service is impeccable. Questions or problems that you email them about are usually answered before you get up from your chair. The more I've used the tents, the more I've learned about where and when to put them to make myself comfortable when it's cold/hot/windy/wet/etc. I'm quite tall but there's plenty of room at the foot and next to me for my pack and all gear. They're great little tents.
Marta

Mike
05-26-2005, 14:37
Used the Squall 2 for two of my 4 nights in the smokies (just finished yesterday). Temperatures ranged from 45-60F at night with no percipitation. I didnt have the floor clipped and I didnt deploy the beak. I had no condensation during the two nights in use.

I was hoping for some rain so I could test out how much condensation I got with the beak and the extended floor deployed.

Footslogger
05-26-2005, 14:44
We own the Tarptent Squall and used it on our recent hike into Damascus from Kincora as well as on treks out here in Wyoming. We have the sewn in floor and extended beak. Easy to set up/take down and roomy enough for 2, but not with gear (at least that was our conclusion). Plenty of headroom at the door end of the tent but it tapers fast toward the feet. Haven't been caught in a bad rain yet so can't offer any feedback on performance during storms but with the bathtub style floor I am fairly confident that it would be a storm worthy shelter.

Can't comment on the Six Moons Europa but recently purchased the Six Moons Lunar Solo e. We both do a fair amount of solo hiking and have found that often, even when we hike together, we prefer having our own shelter. Easier to get up and organized in the morning when it's only you and your stuff inside the tent.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Kerosene
05-26-2005, 17:54
I really like the Six Moon designs, although the Squall has caught up some with the addition of its extended beak. I have experience with the Europa II and the Lunar Solo. The new Europa 05 is a complete re-design and looks pretty neat. That said, the Squall has a ton of satisfied customers out there.