PDA

View Full Version : feedback on abol trail.

hikerboy57
06-29-2012, 08:51
i have reservations at abol for the 2nd, looking to climb katahdin the 3rd then sleep at KSC before heading out SOBO.
ive done the hunt trail way back in the 80s, but i wanted to find out how the abol compares in difficulty. or am i better starting from chimney pond. i couldnt get reservations at KSC for the 2nd

Monkeywrench
06-29-2012, 09:11
I've gone up thee Abol Slide Trail and down Hunt. I'd definitely rather go up Abol than down it.

hikerboy57
06-29-2012, 09:17
thanks..............

10-K
06-29-2012, 09:44
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?62308-Abol-Trail&highlight=abol

weary
06-29-2012, 10:33
Abol is a very old rock slide. As such, it's steep and has a gravelly and rocky footpath. But overall, I think it is a bit easier to go up than the Hunt (AT) from Katahdin Springs.

mudhead
06-29-2012, 10:51
Quite a bit of rock work done to the middle section of the Hunt Trail. Much milder than it once was.

You will have a pack. Walk or thumb to KStream, dump the pack and do Hunt up/down. Get out of the road when you hear cars coming. Easy hitch early in the AM.

Abol is 1 mile shorter, takes me the same amount of time as the Hunt Trail. Hacking snot etc.:)

10-K
06-29-2012, 11:02
Quite a bit of rock work done to the middle section of the Hunt Trail. Much milder than it once was.

You will have a pack. Walk or thumb to KStream, dump the pack and do Hunt up/down. Get out of the road when you hear cars coming. Easy hitch early in the AM.

Abol is 1 mile shorter, takes me the same amount of time as the Hunt Trail. Hacking snot etc.:)

I left my pack at the ranger station and got one of their loaner day packs for the trip up and back. I wouldn't want to go up packless, even if it is just a half day trip. Water and something warm to put on up top was nice to have.

Man, that's one heck of a climb.

hikerboy57
06-29-2012, 11:21
im bringing a day pack to donate to the ranger station after im done, it was time for an upgrade anyway, so from what ive read, i should be fine on the abol.

mudhead
06-29-2012, 18:29
What are your logistic plans for your pack?

hikerboy57
06-29-2012, 19:45
What are your logistic plans for your pack?

not sure
either leave it at abol or KSC,pick it up after K.

TJ aka Teej
06-29-2012, 23:46
If you leave your pack at Abol you'll have four extra miles to hike to go fetch your pack when you get down from Katahdin. If you can't yogi a ride from your fellow campers, get up at first light, road walk*/hitch to KSC, leave your pack on the Ranger's porch and go up and down the Hunt trail.

*Cars will be driving waaay too fast on a narrow and winding dirt road - be VERY CAREFUL.

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 07:32
thanks teej. yeah i was thinking thats what id probably have to do,unless i could find someone to shuttle my pack from abol to KSC in tha am befor the climb, but ill wing it when i gt up there.