PDA

View Full Version : Bemis Mountain Lean To

speedbump
06-29-2012, 08:59
We will be hiking the Bemis Mountain range soon. Has anyone hiked this lately, June 2012 ? Wondering how the water supply is near the Bemis Mountain shelter ? I have read it can be scarce.

woodsy
06-29-2012, 10:47
Plenty of water everywhere right now. Too much for some.

fredmugs
06-29-2012, 13:03
Plenty of water everywhere right now. Too much for some.

That's not true. I just hiked that stretch June 22nd. There's water at Bemis stream (didn't have to ford it) but the other spots were bone dry. I was told that I would cross water 5 different times and that was the only water I saw. I didn't stop at the lean-to. Of the 4 times I have hiked in Maine this is by far the driest I have ever seen the trail.

woodsy
06-29-2012, 13:27
Its rained 6 to 8" across the state since you hiked it. If you can't find plent of water out there now its your own fault.

peakbagger
06-29-2012, 14:47
Its been feast or famine for water in the Northern NH and ME so far this season. Most of the Maine shelters are up high and they depend on precipitation to get recharged and there isnt a lot of topsoil to retain water for long. Once we get into normal summer weather, there are enough thunderstorms to keep things charged up.

I am holding off doing boundary work in Andover until Sunday to let the water go down after the last few days of rain.

speedbump
07-01-2012, 20:40
The Bemis range had lots of water ! Lean to had a stream, but the water was brown, even after filtering. Lower down the water was clear. Thanks for all the responses !

gsimp18
07-01-2012, 22:21
The lean-to has a spring to the right of it. I was just there last night. It also rained last night too. You should be fine with water