PDA

View Full Version : Resources for School Children

hikerjohnd
04-20-2005, 00:37
A dear friend's 3rd grade class is going to be following my hike this fall. I was wondering what kinds of materials on the AT are available for kids? I've seen the book Orient: Trail Dog or something like that, but don't think I've ever seen anything else aimed at kids. I have given her a link to this thread so she can get ideas for her class - so thanks for the help!

The Old Fhart
04-20-2005, 06:24
Try the Appalachian Trail Fun Book (http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=121&compid=1) by Frank and Victoria Logue. The link takes you to the ATC store where this book is on sale. It is for ages 4-10. Quote-"70 pages of activities, including coloring, puzzles, and word games, that help tomorrow's hikers learn about the peaks, wildflowers, and other outstanding features of the Trail environment." I met the Logues hiking in 1988 (The Hawk and The Dove) and they are really nice people.

C-Stepper
04-20-2005, 07:46
If you haven't thought of this already...it might be cool, too, to give them an ATC wall map where they can track your progress.

I think it's great you would share your experience with the children this way!

--->Michele