PDA

View Full Version : Are You Kidding Me?? A Walk in the Woods

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 14:41
OK - I know by now that there are some who have walked the AT who have a more "purist" attitude than others. Some believe in strictly following the trail; others don't believe in slackpacking, etc. And even from the journals, I've noticed that the "purity" of one's hike can change a lot from beginning to end!;) At the moment, before ever stepping foot on the trail, I am a "purist" who does believe in slackpacking. Heck, I also believe in any Special Ops or Marine who will carry my tent. I imagine once I have hiked the first 7 miles, this list will include any branch of the service as well as a Boy Scout or two...

So I'm reading Bill Bryson's, A Walk in the Woods. Admittedly, I've only read about the first 110 pages, but he gets as far as Newfound Gap and goes into Gatlinburg, TN, I believe. He's at an outfitter's and happens to look at a 4 ft map of the AT. He realizes that he has only hiked "2 inches" of it so far and decides to get in a cab and then skip the entire state of Virginia. Are you frickin' kidding me?? Who plans for months and has to look at a map in a store to realize that it is going to be one long trail??

Yeah. I know this book is suppose to be humorous, but skipping a whole state?? Like the largest one?? And anyone know if Katz is a real person? What was his trail name?

bigcranky
06-29-2012, 14:48
Just think of it as a fun read that happens to be about hiking, and not as a thru-hiker's journal, and it'll be fine. The book follows the same sort of theme that many Bryson books do -- some personal experience mixed with a lot of natural history. As I said, a fun read for the most part, though his casual cruelty to some folks along the trail bothered me.

hikerboy57
06-29-2012, 14:50
brysons a writer, and its actually a pretty good read but not exactly the definitive guide for hiking the AT.

Sarcasm the elf
06-29-2012, 14:54
Bryson's book is a comedy meant to appeal to a mass audience, and in this he succeeded. He takes a lot of literary license and was never that concerned with appealing to the hiking community. If I recall, folks here have mentioned that he has admitted that large parts of the book were simply made up. You are very right that he does nothing to serve as a role model for hikers. Personally my favorite parts of the book were the sections where he explained the geological and cultural history of the trail and surrounding regions, not surprisingly, this part was something he probably researched from the comfort of his desk.

forrest!
06-29-2012, 15:28
Here's my take on that book. Bryson's a writer, and in order to keep the money coming in, he has to write books. So the AT hike looked like it would make a good book for his style, which is a humorous look at human nature. So he pitched the book to a publisher, they said sure, they would buy it, and he went hiking. He never intended to hike the whole thing, just enough to get a book out of it.

RED-DOG
06-29-2012, 15:31
A person can always tell when some one is'nt going to make the entire trail, they start skipping sections and try to make jokes about, personally i thought the book a "walk in the woods" was stupid and kinda funny in a weird sort of way.RED-DOG

Spokes
06-29-2012, 15:37
Why read a book written by someone who never finished the trail? That's why, in many peoples mind, Bryson's name is mud. Sorta akin to Avalanche and Gorilla Jim- Hiked Georgia to Vermont then wrote a book? You gotta be kidding.

Now you add the "purist" thing in the discussion and you see how things can get a little testy. Then you wanna talk slackpacking? Might as well rent a support RV and pay someone to deliver Chardonnay to you every night in the shelter. Call that a thru-hike.

ugh.......

Sorry, I thru-hiked the AT without blue, pink, or yellow blazing and I sorta get worked up by people who "lip-sync their thru-hike"© .

hikerboy57
06-29-2012, 15:43
read earl shaffers walking with spring.its a bit more serious.
although he did blue blaze a bit.

Capt Nat
06-29-2012, 15:59
I just finished the book. I was a little disappointed that he didn't complete the trail but I enjoyed the book. In thinking about it, nobody should hike to meet the standards of someone else, HYOH. If someone wants to skip Virginia, why not? He didn't claim to have done something he didn't do. I suspect most section hikers only hike the sections they like.

10-K
06-29-2012, 16:20
Sorry, I thru-hiked the AT without blue, pink, or yellow blazing and I sorta get worked up by people who "lip-sync their thru-hike"© .

Spokes. The Man. The Myth. The Legend. :)

Personally I think your bike trip makes a much better story. That was *totally* impressive. Your journal is one of the very few I've read from beginning to end.

10-K
06-29-2012, 16:24
I think I've read all of Bryson's books and I've enjoyed every one. I like his style and his humor.

When you read his stuff you have to realize that the book is "based on a true story".

kofritz
06-29-2012, 16:31
i enjoyed Bryson's description of the spirt (mood or feeling the AT inspires, or energy obtained) of the trail. He sort of dissed my home area of upper E.Tenn and he missed Big/Lil Hump, to me the most impressive mountain balds (other than Max Patch) i have seen. But there are real hillbillys...

Spokes
06-29-2012, 16:31
Personally I think your bike trip makes a much better story. .....

Thanks for the kind words 10-K.

Sugarfoot
06-29-2012, 16:52
I hiked with a guy in 2000 in New Hampshire who is mentioned by name in Walk in the Woods, his real name since he is one of the few people that Bill did not insult. According to him, Katz is a real person and the portrayal in the book is not an exaggeration, sad as it sounds.

MuddyWaters
06-29-2012, 17:12
80% + of thru hikers never finish the trail, many never make it out of Georgia.
Several MILLION people hike on the trail each year, while only maybe 1500 even try to be thru-hikers.

Why in the world would anyone think that a a book needs to be about a complete thru hike to be interesting to someone? Wrong. In fact, most of them are painfully BORING. I have most of the popular ones, and have had to scan thru lmuch of them because they were so bad.

Bryson's book is humorous and entertaining, whether it is 99% true or 1% true, doesnt matter. It is a book , it is designed to entertain, not be a reference manual. I put Bryson's book and Winton Porters at the top of the list for AT books that are actually interesting to read.

hikerboy57
06-29-2012, 17:15
winton porters book is one of the best ive read so far.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 17:39
80% + of thru hikers never finish the trail, many never make it out of Georgia.
Several MILLION people hike on the trail each year, while only maybe 1500 even try to be thru-hikers.

Why in the world would anyone think that a a book needs to be about a complete thru hike to be interesting to someone? Wrong. In fact, most of them are painfully BORING. I have most of the popular ones, and have had to scan thru lmuch of them because they were so bad.

Bryson's book is humorous and entertaining, whether it is 99% true or 1% true, doesnt matter. It is a book , it is designed to entertain, not be a reference manual. I put Bryson's book and Winton Porters at the top of the list for AT books that are actually interesting to read.+1 I agree with this,he didn't hike it like most,but it has brought many to come to know about the trail,and that is always a good thing,It's a good read,and I fully understand why many don't like it,and there pionts are valid,but it does not make it a bad read to those that don't know anything about the trail and the real peoples who hike it,in my humble opinion.

lemon b
06-29-2012, 17:44
Kath I read alot. This book I tossed out after a 100 pages or so. Read Jeff Alts book. Maybe I'm bias on account of my late son who lived out his life in a wheelchair but Bryson is a phoney. And Like I'm not a purist never was. Heck I never even walked thru North Adams on the blazes. Never had a reason to. Always been givin a ride by family and such although we're not a Drury High people but their all from Adams. And I've been from Ga to Maine on foot twice, 3 times from Ga to Canada but one time I went up the long trail because I did not have the time to do Maine.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 18:04
I think much of the animosity comes into play when someone who has done the trail in entirety feels,they'll be dammed if someone is gonna come along and even suggest about doing it another way,or make fun of places I go.He does say in the book,"I didn't have to do the whole trail to get the thing of it",in his last paragraph in the book he says "true we didn't hike the whole trail,but here's the thing,we tried...we hiked the Appalachian trail" he never once in the entire books even remotely says we did the whole trail,and he fully admits to not doing it all.I don't think the 2 camps will ever come to terms on this,and maybe they shouldn't,after all,these are easy arguments on each side of the Ilse,and make for some in a pinch hey where are you going........"I'm goin ta peck a fight";)

MuddyWaters
06-29-2012, 18:34
Ya, I dont get the opinion of some, I dont have a chip on my shoulder. Dude is simply a writer, a well known writer, who decided to go try to hike the AT. His story is similar to probably 90% of the newbs starting from Springer, they have no idea what they are doing or getting themselves into. He did what they do...he quit, found out that he wasnt really that interested in doing the whole trail after all. The romanticized notion he initially had was replaced by the reality of rocks, roots, and trees , all day, every day.

I think there are a lot of people out there that can relate. Probably most. Seriously, thru-hikers are not the intended audience, and it seems that they are the ones that dislike him the most. Not sure why though.

lemon b
06-29-2012, 18:50
Cause he's a bum.

MuddyWaters
06-29-2012, 19:28
What makes him a bum?

That he wrote a somewhat engaging popular book about his experiences and made money off of it?
A book that was widely read outside of the pitifully small market of long distance hikers?
That he may have embellished events with literary license, or even made them up?
That he may have interviewed others in gathering information to write his book?

What is it that really offended some, that his book was immensly successful while others languished? Ill say it again, most that ive read are quite boring for much of the book. In fact, several I was unable to finish without skipping chapters .

If people are jealous of his book sucess in spite of not being a real (successful) thru hiker, the problem is that others hikes were boring and they are also poor authors.

hikerboy57
06-29-2012, 19:36
The ones written by actual thruhikerd are pretty depressing.

lemon b
06-29-2012, 19:42
Cause he's a bum. Cat never was nothing more than a leach.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 19:48
Cause he's a bum.I actually laughed out loud on this,that pretty funny LB,really.Look I'm sure your son has done many things,and accomplished more than most attempt who are without the added disabilities,but if your suggesting that Bryon some how is guilty of not completing feats that more peoples with disabilities have,well OK,not gonna get into that argument,but if he's a bum in your eyes because he spoke I'll of some,well than that's a whole norther argument,an again,I get he pissed some off.It's not,for me that I'm a huge Bill Bryson fan,I just read a book,thought it was good,and have recommended it to others,I agree that if your looking to see how to hike,this isn't the book,but if you just want to read a book of a fella who attempted a thru-hike,it's a good book.nothing more,I don't even think it's a great book,just a very good book.period,I'm in the other camp,always will,nothing here jump-out on my morals meter,that needs to be fixed.

MuddyWaters
06-29-2012, 19:53
My impression from reading his book, was that he most likely did hike most of Ga and NC to the Smokies. Some seem to think he didnt, but never offer any evidence of such. Even if he only hiked part of that , enough to get a taste of trail life, its a book intended for a popular reading audience. Not a documentary.

I think it has done a lot to introduce new people to hiking and the AT, and I view that as a good thing. Many cite it as the reason they decided to thru-hike.

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 19:57
Here's my take on that book. Bryson's a writer, and in order to keep the money coming in, he has to write books. So the AT hike looked like it would make a good book for his style, which is a humorous look at human nature. So he pitched the book to a publisher, they said sure, they would buy it, and he went hiking. He never intended to hike the whole thing, just enough to get a book out of it.

I think I'm inclined to agree with this theory the most. I think that Bryson pitched the idea to his publisher, who might have even suggested that Katz come on the trip. It just seems to me that this was a writer who started walking the AT and realized that this is really hard! It just struck me as disappointing to be rooting for them, only to have Bryson say, "Dang, let''s get in a cab and skip Virginia! I can still write this book!"

No offense, but the AT journal by Badger has been far more accurate and humorous!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=368660

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 20:00
I have just started reading Spokes' journal now, however! :sun

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=260630

leaftye
06-29-2012, 20:10
I don't like Bryson. It wasn't worth the read.

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2012, 20:49
OK -
So I'm reading Bill Bryson's, A Walk in the Woods. Admittedly, I've only read about the first 110 pages, but he gets as far as Newfound Gap and goes into Gatlinburg, TN, I believe. He's at an outfitter's and happens to look at a 4 ft map of the AT. He realizes that he has only hiked "2 inches" of it so far and decides to get in a cab and then skip the entire state of Virginia. Are you frickin' kidding me?? Who plans for months and has to look at a map in a store to realize that it is going to be one long trail??

Yeah. I know this book is suppose to be humorous, but skipping a whole state?? Like the largest one?? And anyone know if Katz is a real person? What was his trail name?

Wait ,,,, NO Wait .... Now he discovers its a work in FICTION.... call

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2012, 20:51
Howie.......

lemon b
06-29-2012, 22:05
I actually laughed out loud on this,that pretty funny LB,really.Look I'm sure your son has done many things,and accomplished more than most attempt who are without the added disabilities,but if your suggesting that Bryon some how is guilty of not completing feats that more peoples with disabilities have,well OK,not gonna get into that argument,but if he's a bum in your eyes because he spoke I'll of some,well than that's a whole norther argument,an again,I get he pissed some off.It's not,for me that I'm a huge Bill Bryson fan,I just read a book,thought it was good,and have recommended it to others,I agree that if your looking to see how to hike,this isn't the book,but if you just want to read a book of a fella who attempted a thru-hike,it's a good book.nothing more,I don't even think it's a great book,just a very good book.period,I'm in the other camp,always will,nothing here jump-out on my morals meter,that needs to be fixed. Ain't got nothing to do with Ryan. Bryson is a bum.

kayak karl
06-29-2012, 22:12
he jumped around to write his book. even left for a book tour. so we can call this book blazing or "451 blazing" :rolleyes:

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 22:14
Ain't got nothing to do with Ryan. Bryson is a bum.ok......I respect your opinion,I really do.:)

Sarcasm the elf
06-29-2012, 22:20
he jumped around to write his book. even left for a book tour. so we can call this book blazing or "451 blazing" :rolleyes:

Took me a second, but that right there's funny!

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 22:26
he jumped around to write his book. even left for a book tour. so we can call this book blazing or "451 blazing" :rolleyes:Bring the marshmellows,oh wait,are they even allowed.

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 22:36
I've only read about the first 110 pages, but he gets as far as Newfound Gap and goes into Gatlinburg, TN, I believe. He's at an outfitter's and happens to look at a 4 ft map of the AT. He realizes that he has only hiked "2 inches" of it so far and decides to get in a cab and then skip the entire state of Virginia. Are you frickin' kidding me??

If you haven't looked at such a map..........DON'T. Wait til you are there to experience it yourself.

Once I had sectioned all the miles up through the Smokies I did just that......looked at a map. It is FREAKING DAUNTING.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 22:45
Took me a second, but that right there's funny!your quicker than me,when I got there,they were onto Krakauer books

Driver8
06-29-2012, 22:51
Ya, I dont get the opinion of some, I dont have a chip on my shoulder. Dude is simply a writer, a well known writer, who decided to go try to hike the AT. His story is similar to probably 90% of the newbs starting from Springer, they have no idea what they are doing or getting themselves into. He did what they do...he quit, found out that he wasnt really that interested in doing the whole trail after all. The romanticized notion he initially had was replaced by the reality of rocks, roots, and trees , all day, every day.

I think there are a lot of people out there that can relate. Probably most. Seriously, thru-hikers are not the intended audience, and it seems that they are the ones that dislike him the most. Not sure why though.

It's OCD. The drive that compels them to hike the whole doggoned thing in under one year also makes them a bit testy towards one who so capably makes light of the ridiculousness of the enterprise.

I've determined I'm a peakbagger more than a long-distance hiker. Will probably hike 1000 miles of the A.T. in my career, including much of New England. But the whole thing? No thanks. Give me the good parts.

As for purism, I've always thought it kinda lame that the A.T., proper, follows the Crawford Path and the Gulfside Trail over most of the Presidentials, rather than topping the several peaks other than Washington. Come on! If I *were* to thru the A.T., I dadgummed well would be sure to summit all of them, plus Killington, Old Speck and any other significant peak the trail passes by rather than traversing.

To each his or her own. As I said, peakbagging's more my bag. ...

The Old Chief
06-29-2012, 22:53
To say A Walk In The Woods is not a good book is a big stretch. It was listed on the NY Times best seller list for 35 weeks (Non-fiction). It is available in any type of format a book can be made available. It's still for sale on the bookshelves of most book stores and backpacking stores through out the U.S. The movie rights have been sold to Robert Redford. This can't be said for any other book written about the AT. I've purchased and read most of the books written by AT hikers (heck, I'm mentioned in 2 of them). Some of them are ok reads and some of them are just plain boring. One book I've read is probably, to me, the second most entertaining to AWITW, and it contains fictional material, the same as AWITW. Bryson may be a bum, I don't know the man, but I betcha he's a rich bum.

MuddyWaters
06-29-2012, 23:04
springer to NF gap is only 200 miles. Really not very far at all for someone that sets out to hike 2180. I dont know how anyone gets surprised by that. Many well prepared NOBOs will knock that out in about 2 weeks.

Of course if someone takes a month to do it, due to low mileage days and frequent town zeros, I can see how they might realize they could never finish at their rate. Seems to be what happened to Bryson.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 23:11
To say A Walk In The Woods is not a good book is a big stretch. It was listed on the NY Times best seller list for 35 weeks (Non-fiction). It is available in any type of format a book can be made available. It's still for sale on the bookshelves of most book stores and backpacking stores through out the U.S. The movie rights have been sold to Robert Redford. This can't be said for any other book written about the AT. I've purchased and read most of the books written by AT hikers (heck, I'm mentioned in 2 of them). Some of them are ok reads and some of them are just plain boring. One book I've read is probably, to me, the second most entertaining to AWITW, and it contains fictional material, the same as AWITW. Bryson may be a bum, I don't know the man, but I betcha he's a rich bum.And you know when holywood gets a hold of it,look out,fiction city baby.

MuddyWaters
06-29-2012, 23:14
It's OCD. The drive that compels them to hike the whole doggoned thing in under one year also makes them a bit testy towards one who so capably makes light of the ridiculousness of the enterprise.

I've determined I'm a peakbagger more than a long-distance hiker. Will probably hike 1000 miles of the A.T. in my career, including much of New England. But the whole thing? No thanks. Give me the good parts.

As for purism, I've always thought it kinda lame that the A.T., proper, follows the Crawford Path and the Gulfside Trail over most of the Presidentials, rather than topping the several peaks other than Washington. Come on! If I *were* to thru the A.T., I dadgummed well would be sure to summit all of them, plus Killington, Old Speck and any other significant peak the trail passes by rather than traversing.

To each his or her own. As I said, peakbagging's more my bag. ...

As much as I like the AT culture, and ease of re-supply, etc., there are other things out there worth seeing too. No reason to devote ones life to a single trail.

My son and I summited our first 14'er in CO recently, will hike in Grand Canyon in 2013, and are planning for the JMT in 2014. Lots of things more challenging and exciting out there than the AT. (heresy)

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 23:20
will hike in Grand Canyon in 2013, and are planning for the JMT in 2014. Lots of things more challenging and exciting out there than the AT. (heresy)

If a challenge is what you are looking (something harder than the AT) the Grand Canyon and JMT will be a disappointment. While BOTH are beautiful, and a MUST for all bucket lists, they certainly are easier hiking.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2012, 23:20
OK - I know by now that there are some who have walked the AT who have a more "purist" attitude than others. Some believe in strictly following the trail; others don't believe in slackpacking, etc. And even from the journals, I've noticed that the "purity" of one's hike can change a lot from beginning to end!;) At the moment, before ever stepping foot on the trail, I am a "purist" who does believe in slackpacking. Heck, I also believe in any Special Ops or Marine who will carry my tent. I imagine once I have hiked the first 7 miles, this list will include any branch of the service as well as a Boy Scout or two...

bryson is typical of MOST that attempt a thru-hike. they fail. but he's a great writer and it's a great book. it's just entertainment and you need to lighten up cuz it's just walkin' honey :)

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 23:21
As much as I like the AT culture, and ease of re-supply, etc., there are other things out there worth seeing too. No reason to devote ones life to a single trail.

My son and I summited our first 14'er in CO recently, will hike in Grand Canyon in 2013, and are planning for the JMT in 2014. Lots of things more challenging and exciting out there than the AT. (heresy)

.I agree with both of you,100%,now we are on a AT enthusiasts site,so lets not get carried away here,but yes if your a purist(I'm not)go for it,I think I'll end up being more of a hike the sections I want hike,on the trails I want,yep...and there you have it.

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 23:22
And life is "just breathing"..........don't your forget it.

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 23:24
I don't think that a thru is for everyone. Many hikers just simply want to do other things with their lives. I just think that Bryson bailed out - because initially he had planned to hike the entire trail. Or at least that is what he wrote in his book.

And Chin, I know that the task is daunting, which is why I personally plan to have daily and weekly goals. Will that work? Will I be successful? I just don't have the answer right now, but it would seem to make sense.

I don't think think the AT was about "The Journey" at all to Bryson. I think it was about "The Book."

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 23:33
I really don't see anything wrong with somebody bow-up and even a little cocky before a start,I think it's even helpful,people,athletes do it all the time,even done it in my trade,it's kinda like hyperventilating and holding that last breath before you go do a task that stinks like hell,but if ya don't then families aren't gonna be able to flush there toilets tonight,and no water to drink or bath.yep that what turd herding is all about folks,protecting the health and welfare of the nation,at least that what my first journeyman mechanic told me...be fore he sent me into the trenches.@#$%*!#:D

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 23:34
And Chin, I know that the task is daunting, which is why I personally plan to have daily and weekly goals. Will that work? Will I be successful? I just don't have the answer right now, but it would seem to make sense.

I'm just as much in the dark as you on that.

Re daunting: That map is awesome. For someone (like me at the time) the distance from Springer to the Smokies was pretty damn far. To look at that map and to realize how insignificant a distance you had just travelled, gets your attention.

I'm not saying it was a bad feeling, just daunting. It was the one big thing in Bryson's book that had me thinking the same thing.

MuddyWaters
06-29-2012, 23:36
If a challenge is what you are looking (something harder than the AT) the Grand Canyon and JMT will be a disappointment. While BOTH are beautiful, and a MUST for all bucket lists, they certainly are easier hiking.

Dont know that i agree with that. There are certainly some more difficult parts of the AT, like the Whites. And you can certainly make any of it as hard as you want by hiking in winter conditions. But there are different skills needed for other areas that encompass altitude issues, water issues, more serious bear issues, more vertical, require crampons and ice ax, etc.

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 23:48
Dont know that i agree with that. There are certainly some more difficult parts of the AT, like the Whites. And you can certainly make any of it as hard as you want by hiking in winter conditions. But there are different skills needed for other areas that encompass altitude issues, water issues, more serious bear issues, more vertical, require crampons and ice ax, etc.You can do ANY trail off season. I have only done the AT from Springer to Damascus and I can tell you with certainty that the AT is harder than the Grand Canyon (corridor) or the JMT. Been there, done that.

Don't get me wrong I want to go back to the GC and JMT tomorrow. Well maybe not the GC right now.............melting at the thought.

Mags
06-30-2012, 00:05
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/keller_s/not_this_crap_again.jpg

For a book published nearly 15 yrs ago, it is amazing how often it comes up.... :)

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 00:31
heheheh..................

Driver8
06-30-2012, 02:22
I really don't see anything wrong with somebody bow-up and even a little cocky before a start,I think it's even helpful,people,athletes do it all the time,even done it in my trade,it's kinda like hyperventilating and holding that last breath before you go do a task that stinks like hell,but if ya don't then families aren't gonna be able to flush there toilets tonight,and no water to drink or bath.yep that what turd herding is all about folks,protecting the health and welfare of the nation,at least that what my first journeyman mechanic told me...be fore he sent me into the trenches.@#$%*!#:D

Not meaning to be unkind or a grammar freak, but does the space bar work on your computer/smartphone, rocketsocks? You're a fun read when I can read ya, but sometimes the endeavor of working through a post of yours is like bushwhacking through dense spruce. Give it some oxygen, Amigo!

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 02:28
Not meaning to be unkind or a grammar freak, but does the space bar work on your computer/smartphone, rocketsocks? You're a fun read when I can read ya, but sometimes the endeavor of working through a post of yours is like bushwhacking through dense spruce. Give it some oxygen, Amigo!Sorry brother, not the first time i've heard this,will try harder:o:D

Andrewsobo
06-30-2012, 02:45
Great book, Bryson is an excellent writer.

MJW155
06-30-2012, 02:56
Why read a book written by someone who never finished the trail? That's why, in many peoples mind, Bryson's name is mud. Sorta akin to Avalanche and Gorilla Jim- Hiked Georgia to Vermont then wrote a book? You gotta be kidding.

Now you add the "purist" thing in the discussion and you see how things can get a little testy. Then you wanna talk slackpacking? Might as well rent a support RV and pay someone to deliver Chardonnay to you every night in the shelter. Call that a thru-hike.

ugh.......

It amuses me that people hate the book because it doesn't live up to "their expectations". Bryson wasn't writing the book to meet "your expectations". He was writing the book for folks that love to read about travelling in places they will never travel. Bryson never once pretended to hike the entire trail. He even says in the first few pages that he hiked for 6 weeks, returned home to do work and then hiked additional parts of the trail after he met his committments.

MJW155
06-30-2012, 03:27

I hiked from Springer to Clingmans Dome earlier this year. Every hiker I met that brough the book up hates Bryson. It's like they feel betrayed. I think their expectations before reading the book was that he hiked the entire thing. Once they found out he didn't finish, they turned on Bryson.

If I were a thru-hiker, I'd take pride in the fact that the trail is so hard that even a guy that was paid to hike the trail couldn't finish it. And not only could he not finish it, he didn't even attept to finish it.

But for some reason, the reaction tends to be the opposite...he's a bum for not finishing the trail.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 04:20
Not meaning to be unkind or a grammar freak, but does the space bar work on your computer/smartphone, rocketsocks? You're a fun read when I can read ya, but sometimes the endeavor of working through a post of yours is like bushwhacking through dense spruce. Give it some oxygen, Amigo!

Oh come on, Driver! If you can comprehend "legalese," you are certainly capable of reading Rocket's posts! It's the content, man. :sun

BlackJack1
06-30-2012, 05:31
Springer to NF Gap took me 21 days or so. I stopped at Neels Gap, Haiwasee, Franklin, NOC, Fontana, and Gatlinburg. So, eight zero days for my bad knees. But who cares? just hike. if you make it great if not great.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 05:49
Springer to NF Gap took me 21 days or so. I stopped at Neels Gap, Haiwasee, Franklin, NOC, Fontana, and Gatlinburg. So, eight zero days for my bad knees. But who cares? just hike. if you make it great if not great.I seem to remember you having some snow,and tornados to contend with.And yep,I'm with ya on that note,do what you can,and then maybe a little bit more.

Coffee Rules!
06-30-2012, 05:50
...pay someone to deliver Chardonnay to you every night in the shelter.

I'm not a fan of whites. If you'll make that something in a nice full bodied red, we can talk. :p

BlackJack1
06-30-2012, 06:10
There was mild snow, really bad leaves, I mean leaves passed my knees.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 06:42
I'm not a fan of whites. If you'll make that something in a nice full bodied red, we can talk. :p

LOL We are definitely going to need two bottles then!

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 06:52
LOL We are definitely going to need two bottles then!I wonder if anyone has brewed beer in a bag while hiking,gotta be.....

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 06:58
I wonder if anyone has brewed beer in a bag while hiking,gotta be.....

I don't know if you saw a previous post of mine, but my dad was a drill instructor in the Army Rangers before Special Ops. I believe I was an infant, but later he would tell me that he would take his men up to the AT near Dahlonega, GA. He knew where all the mountain stills were up there. Maybe there are a few that are still going strong....:p

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 07:07
I don't know if you saw a previous post of mine, but my dad was a drill instructor in the Army Rangers before Special Ops. I believe I was an infant, but later he would tell me that he would take his men up to the AT near Dahlonega, GA. He knew where all the mountain stills were up there. Maybe there are a few that are still going strong....:pYes I did,but forgot.So that what all the Special Ops references are.I'm sure theres still some stills up there,probably not to near the trail though,then again.....

sailsET
06-30-2012, 07:11
Having never hiked before, I found Bryson's book to be hilarious. I like his writing style, which was fun and easy to read. The other AT books I read before my very first hike didn't give me any idea of what it might be like to actually hike. So before my first small, and pitifully short, AT section hike in SNP, Bryson gave me a few previews of what I might find out there. And after carrying my loaded-down pack the first day, my friend and I joked about "doing a Katz," and pitching out gear. I could even understand throwing the 4 ounce coffee filters over the cliff, even though I live for coffee. Man, that pack was heavy!

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 07:24
Having never hiked before, I found Bryson's book to be hilarious. I like his writing style, which was fun and easy to read. The other AT books I read before my very first hike didn't give me any idea of what it might be like to actually hike. So before my first small, and pitifully short, AT section hike in SNP, Bryson gave me a few previews of what I might find out there. And after carrying my loaded-down pack the first day, my friend and I joked about "doing a Katz," and pitching out gear. I could even understand throwing the 4 ounce coffee filters over the cliff, even though I live for coffee. Man, that pack was heavy!Ah yes,
B~water
K~flung
B~spam
K~flung
B~salami
K~really flug
or somthin like that,LOL

MuddyWaters
06-30-2012, 07:52
If I were a thru-hiker, I'd take pride in the fact that the trail is so hard that even a guy that was paid to hike the trail couldn't finish it. And not only could he not finish it, he didn't even attept to finish it.

But for some reason, the reaction tends to be the opposite...he's a bum for not finishing the trail.

Id say he chose not to finish. The trail isnt that hard if you are in decent shape and carry a light pack. If you are 50 lbs overweight and carrying 55 lb pack , a lot of the southern AT would be difficult. But it does take a special mindset and committment to do the whole thing once the newness and excitement wears off. Each person who does has their own reasons. Id so most that quit find they just dont WANT to continue anymore.

Odd Man Out
06-30-2012, 09:34
Having never hiked before, I found Bryson's book to be hilarious. I like his writing style, which was fun and easy to read. The other AT books I read before my very first hike didn't give me any idea of what it might be like to actually hike. So before my first small, and pitifully short, AT section hike in SNP, Bryson gave me a few previews of what I might find out there. And after carrying my loaded-down pack the first day, my friend and I joked about "doing a Katz," and pitching out gear. I could even understand throwing the 4 ounce coffee filters over the cliff, even though I live for coffee. Man, that pack was heavy!

That too was my favorite part of the book. The idea of Katz jettisoning gear (and most of the food) left and right while climbing the approach trail really made me laugh. It also helped me to realize that this was book was going to be a good example of how not to hike the AT.

Driver8
06-30-2012, 09:50
Id say he chose not to finish. The trail isnt that hard if you are in decent shape and carry a light pack. If you are 50 lbs overweight and carrying 55 lb pack , a lot of the southern AT would be difficult. But it does take a special mindset and committment to do the whole thing once the newness and excitement wears off. Each person who does has their own reasons. Id so most that quit find they just dont WANT to continue anymore.

Exactly. Tedium.

Driver8
06-30-2012, 09:52
Oh come on, Driver! If you can comprehend "legalese," you are certainly capable of reading Rocket's posts! It's the content, man. :sun

Um, ok. But it gives me a headache, so, no thanks, not for me. Not hard at all to hit a space bar after a period at the end of each sentence, a carriage return now and then for a new paragraph. Quality over quantity, man. :/

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 10:01

For what it's worth, my iPhone allows me to post to the site, but it removes all formatting and paragraph breaks from my responses when I press the submit button... It gets frustrating.

Usually if I have something to write that is more than a few sentences long I wait until I am in front of an actual computer.

Marta
06-30-2012, 10:08
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/keller_s/not_this_crap_again.jpg

For a book published nearly 15 yrs ago, it is amazing how often it comes up.... :)

AWITW is like sex--every genereation has to discover it for themselves, and then they think they're the first ones...

As someone else pointed out, Bryson says right in the book that he had six weeks to hike, then he was going to leave the trail to work, then would hike bits and pieces after that.

One of the things about the book that provokes people so strongly is that it defies the formula we open a hiking narrative to get: innocent sets out and grows into a man (or woman), overcoming obstacles and eventually triumphing. (Or dies trying.) At that moment when Bryson decides to skip up to Virginia, the reader suddenly knows that the book, like the Trail, is not going to be what they expected. Its like going into the theater to watch a two-hour movie and having the cast killed off after 30 minutes. Movie over. A lot of readers, like a lot of would-be thru-hikers, can't handle that.

The thing about the book is that, for all the comic exaggerations, he conveys the trials and tribulations of the novice hiker better than almost any other writer. Few writers even seem to understand how irrational newbies are when they are out there, cold, wet, hungry, confused, fearful, and in pain. The onset of the thru-hiking season is a crazy soap opera...much as Bryson describes.

Ah, well. The weekend is here. Time to pull the plug on the cyber world and go hiking! Hasta mañana.

Biggie Master
06-30-2012, 10:11
I saw Bryson do a book talk in my home town several years back... He's a funny guy, no doubt on that. Regardless of what you think or believe he actually accomplished on the trail - he wrote a pretty funny story about it. If it was a preconceived book concept, then good for him and his publisher for recognizing the potential. I'm actually a little envious that he could convince his bosses that a multiple week/month hike was part of his job. If I could convince my bosses of the same, I would be happy for any sections I could cover - even if it wasn't a complete thru hike.

RockDoc
06-30-2012, 17:23
Yes, there's an incredible freedom in not being expected to satisfy other people's expectations.
I'm doing the whole trail but there are parts I've done twice or three times, and other parts I would not want to repeat.

Section hikers are the happiest hikers, IMO. By the time they get to Maine, the thru hikers I saw were sick of it (trapped by what they had committed themselves to) and only talked about how many days until they were done. What a model to emulate...

I suspect most section hikers only hike the sections they like.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 18:08
I saw Bryson do a book talk in my home town several years back... He's a funny guy, no doubt on that. Regardless of what you think or believe he actually accomplished on the trail - he wrote a pretty funny story about it. If it was a preconceived book concept, then good for him and his publisher for recognizing the potential. I'm actually a little envious that he could convince his bosses that a multiple week/month hike was part of his job. If I could convince my bosses of the same, I would be happy for any sections I could cover - even if it wasn't a complete thru hike.You bring up an interesting point.The travel narrative market was ripe when he wrote his book,he got in at a good time,as did his publisher,in the world of hiking books one could almost make the distinction that many more books about the trail,or narratives,were written ABB,After Bill Bryson,than BBB,before B.Bryson,don't know if the numbers confirm this,but the market is flooded right now with material,with no end in site.This likely is also due to home,or self publishing as well.

Northern Lights
06-30-2012, 18:23
I read this book because everyone kept telling me how funny it was. I didn't find it funny at all. I guess I expected more humour. It was an allright book but I wouldn't read it a second time.

ChinMusic
06-30-2012, 18:30
I read this book because everyone kept telling me how funny it was. I didn't find it funny at all. I guess I expected more humour. It was an allright book but I wouldn't read it a second time.

This

It was like listening to a comedian that makes you laugh for a few minutes. After the initial giggles he just becomes........meh.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 18:36
This

It was like listening to a comedian that makes you laugh for a few minutes. After the initial giggles he just becomes........meh.This reminds me of the Don's sittin around in good fella's......So what you think Franky?

~I know him long time,he's a good kid
~he's solid
~what do you say Remo
~Look,meh...why take a chance:D

verasch
06-30-2012, 18:58
AWITW is like sex...

I disagree. Even bad sex is still good.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 19:29
I disagree. Even bad sex is still good.Now does "No sex" fall into that to?

MuddyWaters
06-30-2012, 20:08

I promise you its a heck of a lot funnier than many other trail books that are basically boring chronological journal of what they did each segment.

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 20:25
[UQUOTE=Driver8;1305385]Um, ok. But it gives me a headache, so, no thanks, not for me. Not hard at all to hit a space bar after a period at the end of each sentence, a carriage return now and then for a new paragraph. Quality over quantity, man. :/[/QUOTE]
socks will not use spaces when there's still room for words

Lone Wolf
06-30-2012, 21:10

cuz you ain't walked the AT. if you have, it's funny

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 21:16
[UQUOTE=Driver8;1305385]Um, ok. But it gives me a headache, so, no thanks, not for me. Not hard at all to hit a space bar after a period at the end of each sentence, a carriage return now and then for a new paragraph. Quality over quantity, man. :/
socks will not use spaces when there's still room for words[/QUOTE]yepwaistofspace

Driver8
06-30-2012, 21:53
yepwaistofspace

If you want to be read, you'll show the courtesy of spaces and punctuation. Perfection is not the standard - heck, I'd never meet that one, with my absent mind. But some measure of readability is. As I said, WHEN I can read your stuff, Socks, it's often amusing and interesting. I'd like to be able to. But I increasingly find myself giving it a quick effort, deciding it's too much of a bramble bush, and deciding - not worth the effort. If that's your goal, your meeting it with ever-greater success, with me, at least.

I hate to call you, or anyone else, out like that for grammar and spelling, but you are by far the worst I've seen here or on most any board in almost two decades of interwebbing. Carriage return. Spaces. Commas, hyphens. You can do it, man! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

Northern Lights
06-30-2012, 21:55
cuz you ain't walked the AT. if you have, it's funny

Maybe I haven't walked the whole AT, but I've been chipping away at it for the last two years, so I've walked the AT. At least portions of it and still didn't find it funny.

verasch
06-30-2012, 21:57
Now does "No sex" fall into that to?

So I take it you're not much of a reader then? :D

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 22:04
Rocket - You are still a blast, with or without punctuation. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Anyone can learn to place a space here or there, but not everyone can learn to have a sense of humor like you. :sun

OzJacko
06-30-2012, 22:08
Given that you have all been bastardising the Queen's English for over two hundred years I find these arguments about grammar and spelling quite amusing....
:-)

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 22:11
I miss mathewski

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 22:12
Given that you have all been bastardising the Queen's English for over two hundred years I find these arguments about grammar and spelling quite amusing....

we don't serve the queen

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 22:13
I miss mathewski

Me too.

I'm gonna be honest, for the first couple of weeks that Rocketsocks was a member I thought it was Matthewski messing with us.

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 22:15

My usual hiking buddy is Scottish, born and raised in Glasgow. On one trip while hiking through Massachusetts in the middle of a heat wave, we had a four hour argument about the meaning of the word 'aloof'

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 22:17
not quite rambling enough but I know what you mean

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 22:23

I had to really laugh at this! You do realize how much the Australians have slaughtered the Queen's English, don't you?? (And I really like Australia!) For over 200 yrs, Americans have been distinguishing themselves from England by choice. (And I really like the UK, as well!)

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 22:28
My usual hiking buddy is Scottish, born and raised in Glasgow. On one trip while hiking through Massachusetts in the middle of a heat wave, we had a four hour argument about the meaning of the word 'aloof'

Can you give us the "Cliff Notes" on this argument? Without looking it up, I would be inclined to say that "aloof" means,"distancing yourself with an 'air of superiority' and not participating because you believe yourself to be above others."

Lone Wolf
06-30-2012, 22:32
I would be inclined to say that "aloof" means,"distancing yourself with an 'air of superiority' and not participating because you believe yourself to be above others."

i looked it up. your picture came with the definition

OzJacko
06-30-2012, 22:37
"I had to really laugh at this! You do realize how much the Australians have slaughtered the Queen's English, don't you?? (And I really like Australia!) For over 200 yrs, Americans have been distinguishing themselves from England by choice. (And I really like the UK, as well!) "

We may slaughter the way we speak it but the written word is the same. Slaughtering the way you speak it is a part of the joy of english. It is often hard to realise that a Scotsmen, an Indian (i.e. sub continent not native American) and an Australian speak the same language.
This is fun - the thread is picking up a bit of coloUr....

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 22:38
i looked it up. your picture came with the definition

Hmmm. Not so smart, LW. I can be accused of a lot of things, but "lack of participation" on WB will never be one of them.

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 22:41
Can you give us the "Cliff Notes" on this argument? Without looking it up, I would be inclined to say that "aloof" means,"distancing yourself with an 'air of superiority' and not participating because you believe yourself to be above others."

The argument basically came down to whether or not the word meant "distancing yourself with an 'air of superiority'" or if the word could be used to simply mean shy and standoffish.

We argued all the way into Dalton and ended up looking it up on the internet using motel's computer. It turns out that the correct definition was basically 'reserved or distanced due to an 'air of superiority' But the definition noted that both of the meanings we were arguing about are in common usage. This of course caused us to continue to argue about it for another hour.

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 22:42
"I had to really laugh at this! You do realize how much the Australians have slaughtered the Queen's English, don't you?? (And I really like Australia!) For over 200 yrs, Americans have been distinguishing themselves from England by choice. (And I really like the UK, as well!) "

We may slaughter the way we speak it but the written word is the same. Slaughtering the way you speak it is a part of the joy of english. It is often hard to realise that a Scotsmen, an Indian (i.e. sub continent not native American) and an Australian speak the same language.
This is fun - the thread is picking up a bit of coloUr....

Americans believe in distinguishing ourselves from England by choice. (I can state this three times if it takes you that long to understand it :p)

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 22:44
The argument basically came down to whether or not the word meant "distancing yourself with an 'air of superiority'" or if the word could be used to simply mean shy and standoffish.

We argued all the way into Dalton and ended up looking it up on the internet using motel's computer. It turns out that the correct definition was basically 'reserved or distanced due to an 'air of superiority' But the definition noted that both of the meanings we were arguing about are in common usage. This of course caused us to continue to argue about it for another hour.

LOL Sounds like a debate I would have loved to participate in! :sun

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 22:49
LOL Sounds like a debate I would have loved to participate in! :sun

He and I have been section hiking together for four years. It wasn't until about two years into it that we came to terms with the fact that we have a tendency to bait each other into long winded and sometimes vicious arguments as a way of breaking up the monotony.:datz Now that we've admitted it to each other things tend to go more smoothly.

OzJacko
06-30-2012, 23:06
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall listening to an argument between a Glaswegian and a Connecticut Yankee! The accent flow would have been a joy to listen to, especially the Scot's. I'd be careful having anything but a friendly debate as a "Glasgow kiss" is not a pleasant thing....

Driver8
06-30-2012, 23:10
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall listening to an argument between a Glaswegian and a Connecticut Yankee ...

Glaswegian is one of the favoUrite English language words of this soul transplanted from the fertile lands of Arkansas to the rocky soils of Connecticut, though I confess the CT River valley is fairly loamy. ...

Driver8
06-30-2012, 23:12
I miss mathewski

A distant second to the Rocketman in the shambling grammar sweepstakes. Both were eccentric and funny, too. A trend?

Driver8
06-30-2012, 23:15
Maybe I haven't walked the whole AT, but I've been chipping away at it for the last two years, so I've walked the AT. At least portions of it and still didn't find it funny.

Shall we say the Wolf is a bit aloof? Don't take his imprecations and swipes personally. They're somewhat of a badge of honor, a patch to sew on your virtual pack, so to speak. ...

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 23:49
If you want to be read, you'll show the courtesy of spaces and punctuation. Perfection is not the standard - heck, I'd never meet that one, with my absent mind. But some measure of readability is. As I said, WHEN I can read your stuff, Socks, it's often amusing and interesting. I'd like to be able to. But I increasingly find myself giving it a quick effort, deciding it's too much of a bramble bush, and deciding - not worth the effort. If that's your goal, your meeting it with ever-greater success, with me, at least.

I hate to call you, or anyone else, out like that for grammar and spelling, but you are by far the worst I've seen here or on most any board in almost two decades of interwebbing. Carriage return. Spaces. Commas, hyphens. You can do it, man! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSknot really tryin to be a illiterate,I just suck at academia,not a great back packer ether,my art sucks,karate is weak,and my dog snores,but I'll pick you up should you fall.

Driver8
07-01-2012, 01:25
not really tryin to be a illiterate,I just suck at academia,not a great back packer ether,my art sucks,karate is weak,and my dog snores,but I'll pick you up should you fall.

Youhadme, athello. ...

jesse
07-01-2012, 02:34
This reminds me of the Don's sittin around in good fella's......So what you think Franky?

~I know him long time,he's a good kid
~he's solid
~what do you say Remo
~Look,meh...why take a chance:D

One of my favorite scenes, only it was from Casino, not Goodfellas.

hikerboy57
07-01-2012, 07:19
not really tryin to be a illiterate,I just suck at academia,not a great back packer ether,my art sucks,karate is weak,and my dog snores,but I'll pick you up should you fall.
frankly I find you much easier to understand then shakespeare

sailsET
07-01-2012, 13:13
Nice sentiment!

Mishigami Manitou
07-01-2012, 13:28
I was very disappointed with this book too, for many of the same reasons. He touted the tale as his journey on the Appalachian Trail, then didn't actually hike the trail at all - even deviating completely from the trail to talk about places like Centralia. He is pretty humorous, and that kept me reading, but in the end, I wished I had some of my life back for the last 2/3s of the book.

He's not the only outdoor author I've been disappointed with. Jon Krakauer disappointed me with his book "Into the Wild". I loved "Into Thin Air", but about 1/3 of the way into "Into the Wild", I found myself asking: "Why do I give a crap about this dummy?" and put the book down.

Buying a book is like buying fruit. You go into it knowing you're taking a chance it'll be good, and many times find yourself let down.

hikerboy57
07-01-2012, 13:30
I was very disappointed with this book too, for many of the same reasons. He touted the tale as his journey on the Appalachian Trail, then didn't actually hike the trail at all - even deviating completely from the trail to talk about places like Centralia. He is pretty humorous, and that kept me reading, but in the end, I wished I had some of my life back for the last 2/3s of the book.

He's not the only outdoor author I've been disappointed with. Jon Krakauer disappointed me with his book "Into the Wild". I loved "Into Thin Air", but about 1/3 of the way into "Into the Wild", I found myself asking: "Why do I give a crap about this dummy?" and put the book down.

Buying a book is like buying fruit. You go into it knowing you're taking a chance it'll be good, and many times find yourself let down.

krakauer is actually a pretty good writer. his "eiger dreams" is a collection of short stories he wrote before into thin air. devils tooth is a must read.

T.S.Kobzol
07-01-2012, 16:08
I think this is probably where I see the divide of people who liked the book and those who did not. The idea of littering, not just dropping a candy wrapper, but extreme littering that at best deserves serious beating, is basically sacrilegious to some of us who grew up under different standards. To give you an extreme example: I'm sure someone can write an eloquent and very funny book about the holocaust but there are certain standards where majority of us would reject the humor and not continue to read such book any further. For me, someone who has backpacked since early childhood, the book crossed a line. I don't care he didn't finish the trail. I don't mind he's made mistakes but I am annoyed he has not learned any ethics prior to venturing onto the trail. I am annoyed that as a writer who has done some research about the trail before and afterwards he would still consider this trail desecration as humorous. He has shown to be an arrogant a$$hole about the things I hold dear. Such person will not get my business in the form of readership. No respect.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 16:19

Buying a book is like buying fruit. You go into it knowing you're taking a chance it'll be good, and many times find yourself let down.Last time I was in the book store,I got caught sratch sniffing bindings,and they threw me out.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 16:22
Nice sentiment!thankssailsetgoodtoseeyoubackpostingglad yourhikewasgreat.hehe,thanks glad your back

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 16:23
One of my favorite scenes, only it was from Casino, not Goodfellas.See acadeemia;lack of movie knowledge

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 16:25
Youhadme, athello. ...I kinda like bramble bush,it's more earthy..crunchy

Really Driver 8,it's not a big deal to me,I comfortable with my textuality.:)

Mishigami Manitou
07-01-2012, 18:19
krakauer is actually a pretty good writer. his "eiger dreams" is a collection of short stories he wrote before into thin air. devils tooth is a must read.

I'll have to pick that one up - maybe for my section hike this summer. I like Krakauer a lot, it's just the whole thing with McCandless being touted as a sympathetic character had me scratching my head. He just seemed so much of a Darwin award winner that I had a hard time feeling sorry for the guy - or even being interested in his plight.

I love climbing books. I'll give Eiger Dreams a look. Thanks for the recommendation.

Biggie Master
07-01-2012, 20:02
... it's not a big deal to me,I comfortable with my textuality.:)

It's only right to be comfortable in your own keyboard!

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 20:14
It's only right to be comfortable in your own keyboard!I am master of my domain.;)when my wife's not around.:Dbut I'm still not taking english lessons,I prefer french.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 20:19
Time to put this train back on the tracks.

Bill Bryson is the best writter that ever lived:rolleyes:

Driver8
07-01-2012, 20:42
Really Driver 8,it's not a big deal to me,I comfortable with my textuality.:)

notthatthere's,anythingwrong.. with that.

Driver8
07-01-2012, 20:44
PS: You can call me Chris, if you like.

Cheers,

C.S., a/k/a Driver 8, a/k/a Arkie_in_CT

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 20:51
notthatthere's,anythingwrong.. with that.Thank you for fixing,hehehe

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 20:51
Time to put this train back on the tracks.

Bill Bryson is the best writter that ever lived:rolleyes:Ever..............

bamboo bob
07-01-2012, 21:26
[QUOTE=MJW155;1305269] Every hiker I met that brough the book up hates Bryson. It's like they feel betrayed.' You didn't meet me. I've done the AT three times , I read Bryson and enjoyed it. In fact it inspired me to do it the first time. I figured if Katz could do it so could I.

Driver8
07-01-2012, 21:57
I loved it, and it got me into hiking, in fits and starts. I do appreciate the anger about littering willy nilly, but I consider that we all rape and despoil our home planet an awful lot, with few exceptions among us, so the absurdist telling of probably an exaggerated tale of a fat would-be hiker desperately dumping poundage, well, as a formerly fat, out-of-shape, and still chubby though in better shape hiker, I got a kick out of it and, vicariously, identified with it.

Indeed, reckon I'm gonna retrieve my copy from the friend I loaned it to and give it another read before long.

Astro
07-02-2012, 00:33
I think this is probably where I see the divide of people who liked the book and those who did not. The idea of littering, not just dropping a candy wrapper, but extreme littering that at best deserves serious beating, is basically sacrilegious to some of us who grew up under different standards. To give you an extreme example: I'm sure someone can write an eloquent and very funny book about the holocaust but there are certain standards where majority of us would reject the humor and not continue to read such book any further. For me, someone who has backpacked since early childhood, the book crossed a line. I don't care he didn't finish the trail. I don't mind he's made mistakes but I am annoyed he has not learned any ethics prior to venturing onto the trail. I am annoyed that as a writer who has done some research about the trail before and afterwards he would still consider this trail desecration as humorous. He has shown to be an arrogant a$$hole about the things I hold dear. Such person will not get my business in the form of readership. No respect.

I personally enjoyed the book and it inspired me to start hiking the AT, and thus have positive thoughts about it. But you in my opinion have done the best job of explaining why some do not like it. Having grown up in South Florida and knowing the evil of Castro and his regime, I know and appreciate why we have an embargo with Cuba, while many people from the rest of USA do not understand why we can not just treat them like any other country. Thank you for sharing this point. While I still think it is a funny book that had a postive influence on me personaly, I now better understand why you and others find it offensive.

Miner
07-02-2012, 00:48
I never even realized you could hike a long trail like the PCT or AT as one long trip until I read Byrson's book. Until then, I had assume you would have to do it in 2 week sections carrying all your supplies and dealing with the nightmare of finding transportation each time was very discouraging to my dreams of hiking the entire PCT. Now that I have thru-hiked the PCT and am about to start my AT journey with future plans for the CDT, I'm very grateful to Bryson for opening my eyes to thru-hiking, even if he humorously failed at his. Though I have to admit that I didn't enjoy rereading his book nearly as much 10 years latter as I had changed.

OzJacko
07-02-2012, 04:26
I have 6 copies of the book and am chasing about 7 more.....
No I'm not completely mad.
Last year I put 13 copies of the Lord of the Rings trilogy in consecutive (the southern 13 - campfires prohibited) huts on my local track. The idea is you can read, leave, and pick up reading at next hut.
Most are still there (the ones near road access "walked") and I am going out soon to replace the missing and add Walk in the Woods to them.
The book has been a major factor in me wanting to go all the way over th'ar to walk the AT and I hope others will enjoy it.
He actually walked enough to have thru-hiked my track.

Sampson
07-02-2012, 08:12

I hate to call you, or anyone else, out like that for grammar and spelling, but you are by far the worst I've seen here or on most any board in almost two decades of interwebbing. Carriage return. Spaces. Commas, hyphens. You can do it, man! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

You're meeting it. Note to self: When playing the grammar nazi on the inter webs, definitely a good idea to get the your/you're thing right first.

Ladytrekker
07-02-2012, 08:42
I believe Katz to be Bryson's alter ego. The book is funny I got some laughs from it but also enjoyed the history of the mountains that he threw in there I mean how of the hikers has read about the history such as why Blood Mountain got its name. I think it makes the area more alive to know its history.

Driver8
07-02-2012, 10:02
You're meeting it. Note to self: When playing the grammar nazi on the inter webs, definitely a good idea to get the your/you're thing right first.

And when attacking someone for hypocrisy, it's helpful to read his post. Thoroughly. You must have missed the part about perfection not being the standard and my clearly being unable to meet it. Rocketsocks and I are on friendly terms, and I believe he understands the constructive spirit in which my posts were intended. Not sure I see a constructive purpose to yours, but I'll try and give you the benefit of the doubt, Sampson.

Sampson
07-02-2012, 12:25
And when attacking someone for hypocrisy, it's helpful to read his post. Thoroughly. You must have missed the part about perfection not being the standard and my clearly being unable to meet it. Rocketsocks and I are on friendly terms, and I believe he understands the constructive spirit in which my posts were intended. Not sure I see a constructive purpose to yours, but I'll try and give you the benefit of the doubt, Sampson. If you really wanted to do something in the "constructive spirit," you should have pm'd him. Your post was designed to entertain us all at Rocket's expense --- nothing more, nothing less. Did you really think you were the guy to let the cat out of the bag? I'm sure he had no idea until you told him. Thanks so much for enlightening us all.

hikerboy57
07-02-2012, 13:25
play nice.

hikerboy57
07-02-2012, 13:37
i have a personal aversion to using punctuation and capital letterS.i also use voice recognition when im posting from my droid with some really creative interpretations of what i had intended to say. in a recent post Katahdin ws translated as "the titans".(Katahdin deserves a capital letteR.)
hey we're hikers, not scholars.
although we do pretend to be.

Driver8
07-02-2012, 13:47
hey we're hikers, not scholars.
although we do pretend to be.

I play one on TV.

Driver8
07-02-2012, 13:49
If you really wanted to do something in the "constructive spirit," you should have pm'd him. Your post was designed to entertain us all at Rocket's expense --- nothing more, nothing less. Did you really think you were the guy to let the cat out of the bag?

You somehow know my motivations better than I do. Thanks for helping me better understand myself, which was your only purpose, right?

bwburgin1015
07-02-2012, 14:03
winton porters book is one of the best ive read so far.

I would have agreed until I read "Becoming Odyssa" That one quickly became my favorite. Also I agree with Muddy Waters...most of them are painfully boring. While I found the middle portions of Bryson's book painful to read...the beginning was hilarious and wildly entertaining. Of course I wasn't reading it to learn about the trail...I was reading it because I love the trail and enjoy reading entertaining books related to it.

hikerboy57
07-02-2012, 14:07
i never finished brysons book, but i did find it somewhat amusing, and thats all i was looking for from it. if i wanted to learn how to do a thru hike, i would have just clicked on squids post.
becoming odyssa , i agree was great and one of the best. but awol, barefoot sisters, man they get depressing!
what i liked about porters book was the cross section of yoyos you generally do come across on the trail.from overloaded acks to ridiculously naive expectations.

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 14:15
I liked how AWITW touches on the history of the areas, and the trail, it reminded me of the same type/style of wrighting from Sebastian Junger in 'A Perfect Storm'

fredmugs
07-02-2012, 14:48
Other than Moby Dick it is the worst book I've ever read. It's not even a book about hiking. Bryson spends 2/3 of it complaining about the federal government.

JAK
07-02-2012, 15:22
My book on the AT will be coming out soon.

Sampson
07-02-2012, 16:05
You somehow know my motivations better than I do. Thanks for helping me better understand myself, which was your only purpose, right?
You can dish it but you can't take it. That's good to know. I'll play nice from here on in with you. :)

Creek Dancer
07-02-2012, 16:16
I liked how AWITW touches on the history of the areas, and the trail, it reminded me of the same type/style of wrighting from Sebastian Junger in 'A Perfect Storm'

Hey Snotty Rocket! Nice use of the space bar. :D Hope you are doing well.

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 16:33
If you really wanted to do something in the "constructive spirit," you should have pm'd him. Your post was designed to entertain us all at Rocket's expense --- nothing more, nothing less. Did you really think you were the guy to let the cat out of the bag? I'm sure he had no idea until you told him. Thanks so much for enlightening us all.Thanks Sampson, trruth be told, Driver keapt telling me about spacing, and I thought he meant the spacing between thoughts or paragraphs, not at the end and begining of sentences, and comas, I really didn't know, but I never told him that until this morning, so I sure he may have been thinking I was just being a smart a$$, which is totaly in my nature, though this time It was not the case, and have now learned and Driver8 and I have a sembiotic relationship in that I'm sure I'll still mess up, and he gonna be my english teacher, and I'm good with that.:)I do thank you for your support,but Driver8, was only trying to lend a hand, we've been talking about this for a while now,It's all good brother.:sun

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 16:35
Hey Snotty Rocket! Nice use of the space bar. :D Hope you are doing well.Thanks CD, were gettin there.

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 16:37
You can dish it but you can't take it. That's good to know. I'll play nice from here on in with you. :)Sampson, :welcometo White Blaze, the place where all questions get answerd and gramatically correct structure is rewarded with readership.;)

verasch
07-02-2012, 17:44
Bryson spends 2/3 of it complaining about the federal government.

That's why the book didn't appeal to me. It was like he was saying how incompetent the forest service is but then saying it's not their fault. He must be one of those people who believes the FS is horrible but the NPS can do no wrong.

MuddyWaters
07-02-2012, 20:07
Brysons special gift as a writer, IMO, is researching and humorously telling about true things that are footnotes of history, almost unbelievably coincidental ,ironic, or just sheer dumb luck. Things that have occurred and been forgotten, overlooked, etc. The same style is used in his book "A brief history of nearly everything" .

I appreciate the parts of the book which humorously discuss details and information not otherwise widely known, especially when it pokes at the idiocy of parties involved . Even though some of this isnt related to the AT directly, its part of HIS story about HIS AT hiking experience. Yeah, some of it drags, but so do all books.

Wombat Farm
07-02-2012, 20:24
WIAPilot....this is why some of us haven't even bothered to pick up the book....I think Bryson kinda seems like a well, ass. But maybe he's a great guy...don't know. LOL

Driver8
07-02-2012, 22:21
so I sure he may have been thinking I was just being a smart a$$, which is totaly in my nature, though this time It was not the case, and have now learned and Driver8 and I have a sembiotic relationship in that I'm sure I'll still mess up ...

Rocket Into Space, my friend, you were always most kind and gracious. I sincerely never meant to hurt your feelings, and if I did, first off, you never let on, and secondly, I am sorry if I did. I didn't mean to be harsh, probably was too much so, but I really was very frustrated and vexed by the things I complained about. We've worked through it beautifully I think - 90%+ of the credit goes to you for that - and I am pleased to count you the moreso as my partner in petty transgressions against good sense and good taste. :)

As to Sampson, perhaps he has come down a hard road where people too often are full of ill intent. You seem to understand that that is not the path I mean to travel, and you certainly veer far from it. One can hope Sampson will be encouraged by your good grace to think more kindly of the situation. ... In the meantime, that space bar is looking mighty fine, running rife throughout your posts. Bravo, Amigo! :D

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 22:24
Rocket Into Space, my friend, you were always most kind and gracious. I sincerely never meant to hurt your feelings, and if I did, first off, you never let on, and secondly, I am sorry if I did. I didn't mean to be harsh, probably was too much so, but I really was very frustrated and vexed by the things I complained about. We've worked through it beautifully I think - 90%+ of the credit goes to you for that - and I am pleased to count you the moreso as my partner in petty transgressions against good sense and good taste. :)

As to Sampson, perhaps he has come down a hard road where people too often are full of ill intent. You seem to understand that that is not the path I mean to travel, and you certainly veer far from it. One can hope Sampson will be encouraged by your good grace to think more kindly of the situation. ... In the meantime, that space bar is looking mighty fine, running rife throughout your posts. Bravo, Amigo! :DYou had me at Hello.:)

stranger
07-02-2012, 22:42

Bill Bryson is a writer, and a very accomplished one at that. He never, ever claimed to hike the entire AT, he hiked something like 870 miles and states that in his book. Yes, he does say 'I hiked the Appalachian Trail', but in the same breath says it's factually incorrect.

The book is called 'A Walk in the Woods'...it is not called 'A Thru-hike of the AT'.

He set out to write a best seller, and he accomplished that goal. In fact, everytime a post goes up about this book, which is now something like 15 years old now, he sells more and more books.

I believe the reason so many people give Bryson a hard time is because he breaks down the trail for what is really is, he makes fun of it, and perhaps some people feel he 'de-values' the experience as he doesn't really take the whole thing seriously (as opposed to those who do and get frustrated by such an attitude).

It's a great book by a great author. It's not a great book 'about the AT', or for a serious hiker, and it's not intented to be. It's an armchair read by a very funny author, for people who will never set foot on the trail.

ChinMusic
07-02-2012, 22:47
I believe the reason so many people give Bryson a hard time is because he breaks down the trail for what is really is......

Yeah, I have lost count of the 12# cans of ham I have seen along the trail.......