PDA

View Full Version : Other Records...

jos2thehua
06-29-2012, 18:33
We all hear and debate about the various speed records being attempted each and every year. However, I was wondering to myself today: what other types of records have been attempted on an AT thru-hike? I could see things from people trying to crawl the entire length to people trying to do the first thru-hike by only walking on their hands. Any other interesting ideas or have you heard of any other types of records trying to be set beside speed records?

Please, no debating or flaming.

ATMountainTime
06-29-2012, 19:18
I will be attempting the most beers drank on a thru hike. :)

MuddyWaters
06-29-2012, 19:31
yeah, I heard a couple of gals tried to walk it barefoot...

jos2thehua
06-29-2012, 21:53
Did they complete it or no? I'd say the most beers on a thru-hike would be a pretty competitive record haha.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 22:05
I'm sure some would try it naked.....while packin heat?

attroll
06-29-2012, 22:49
Did they complete it or no?
Yes, they did complete it and wrote a book about it. They were the Barefoot Sisters.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2012, 23:15
yeah, I heard a couple of gals tried to walk it barefoot...

...and kinda failed

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 23:15
Did they complete it or no? I'd say the most beers on a thru-hike would be a pretty competitive record haha.Got a couple of there books,if you would like to read them,shoot me a PM.I'll mail them to ya.

MuddyWaters
06-29-2012, 23:21
I read the sisters books, and found them more interesting than some others, possibly due to the company they kept , the winter conditions SOBO,etc. But I came to conclusion that it was all really a publicity stunt to allow them to sell a book.

Sarcasm the elf
06-29-2012, 23:24
I read the sisters books, and found them more interesting than some others, possibly due to the company they kept , the winter conditions SOBO,etc. But I came to conclusion that it was all really a publicity stunt to allow them to sell a book.

Were they worth the price of the book? They've been on my wishlist for a while, but I've still got several books in front of them.

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 23:24
I will be attempting the most beers drank on a thru hike. :)

I'm gonna try it without having a beer.

Odd Man Out
06-29-2012, 23:32
I am planning on shattering the record for oldest thru hiker. I just have to wait about 35 years and hope no one beats me to it.
I'm not sure what that even is.

Sarcasm the elf
06-29-2012, 23:34
I am planning on shattering the record for oldest thru hiker. I just have to wait about 35 years and hope no one beats me to it.
I'm not sure what that even is.

How can someone "beat you to it"? If they do, just wait a while longer. :sun

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 23:35
How can someone "beat you to it"? If they do, just wait a while longer. :sunYeah,I'd wait

MuddyWaters
06-29-2012, 23:46
Were they worth the price of the book? They've been on my wishlist for a while, but I've still got several books in front of them.

I got them on Kindle. Im not a good judge of value. No digital book is worth the price they cost IMO. If I could print it out myself and have a hard copy, maybe. IMO the kindles should be like $5 or so for any book.

fredmugs
06-30-2012, 10:53

IMO Southbound is very good. Don't waste your time on the 2nd one.

I highly doubt they did it to write a book because there was no way they could have anticipated all the things that made that book worth reading.

Apparently there is a SOBO guy hiking barefoot right now. I heard about hime when I was in Maine 2 weeks ago. Barefoot in Maine is insane.

TOMP
06-30-2012, 22:00
I hiked with a guy that walked about 100 miles on a broken foot before getting an x-ray in waynesboro,va. That has got to be a record.

MuddyWaters
06-30-2012, 22:29
IMO Southbound is very good. Don't waste your time on the 2nd one.

I highly doubt they did it to write a book because there was no way they could have anticipated all the things that made that book worth reading.

Apparently there is a SOBO guy hiking barefoot right now. I heard about hime when I was in Maine 2 weeks ago. Barefoot in Maine is insane.

Maybe not intended to write a book from the start, but publicity stunt i do believe . That kind of thing has the potential of drawing appearances on talk shows, magazine articles, etc, all which mean $$

Veetack
07-01-2012, 01:06
I ran across a guy from Nepal who was hiking SoBo barefoot when I was at the NOC in early June. Obviously he was flip-flopping, and had started at Harpers Ferry. He was certainly an interesting character. From Ireland, lived in Nepal, was Bhuddist, and was dressed like a sherpa. Certainly a head turner.

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 07:35
Were they worth the price of the book?

Simply put: Yes.

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 07:38
I got them on Kindle. Im not a good judge of value. No digital book is worth the price they cost IMO. If I could print it out myself and have a hard copy, maybe. IMO the kindles should be like $5 or so for any book.

Remember, with a book you're not so much paying for the physical form (although that's obvioiusly part of it due to paper and printing costs) as you are the content. It's why the Kindle versions are cheaper, but they're still not going to be uber cheap unless you hit a sale. Just my nickel's worth.

CrumbSnatcher
07-01-2012, 20:18
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/oH5ln_EialHcT8PZXcF4Ng--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMwMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/284/2012/06/26/yuengling-png_192101.png2nd largest brewer in the USA now---hows that for a record?

Sarcasm the elf
07-01-2012, 20:22
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/oH5ln_EialHcT8PZXcF4Ng--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMwMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/284/2012/06/26/yuengling-png_192101.png2nd largest brewer in the USA now---hows that for a record?

That record is worthless to me until they get a distributor in Connecticut :D

My old neighbor grew up in Pottsville and got me hooked. It's painful that I have to go over state lines to pick it up.

CrumbSnatcher
07-01-2012, 20:26
That record is worthless to me until they get a distributor in Connecticut :D

My old neighbor grew up in Pottsville and got me hooked. It's painful that I have to go over state lines to pick it up.i love yuengling traditional lager when i can get it, but hamms beer is my new favorite. i have to slip over to iowa or missouri to get it :-( just a good reason for a road trip ELF

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 20:28
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/oH5ln_EialHcT8PZXcF4Ng--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMwMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/284/2012/06/26/yuengling-png_192101.png2nd largest brewer in the USA now---hows that for a record?Use to drink these back in HS,worst beer ever next to Old German,(same brewery I think),but it was cheap,we use to get a case of 16oz returnable bottles for about $7.20.
(indent for driver 8)Then sometime in the early 90's they must have changed there recipe,because that beer was great,still is...though I no longer drink,I'd recommend it.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 20:40
while iwas in TX my cousin got some Coors from CO,it was one of there destinations they sold to,you couldn't get it in the EAST,I was quite the celebrity when I returned home and told my buddies I had drank some Coors,they were very inquisitive,and asked things like "Was it the best,how'd it taste,did you catch a buzz,did you hurl".Years later when it became available to the masses,sitting around with the same buddies,and one of them says,remember when you drank them Coors on that trip? "yeah" "Well this beer sucks" I lost all my beer clout that day.We always want what we can't have.

Sacchoromyces
07-01-2012, 21:19
I hiked with a guy that walked about 100 miles on a broken foot before getting an x-ray in waynesboro,va. That has got to be a record.
I've had a couple of friends run complete track/cross country seasons with stress fractures in feet or fibulae. I'd wager tehy ran more miles thant he AT or the paltry 100 mentioned here.

verasch
07-01-2012, 22:21
Remember, with a book you're not so much paying for the physical form (although that's obvioiusly part of it due to paper and printing costs) as you are the content. It's why the Kindle versions are cheaper, but they're still not going to be uber cheap unless you hit a sale. Just my nickel's worth.

Also, a well designed ebook is a little more difficult to put together than a regular book. A lot more goes into putting them together. Of course, if your just buying PDFs, then i agree, they should be much cheaper.

atmilkman
07-02-2012, 13:31
Reading one of Tipi's posts on another thread gave me the idea of a record which may or may not have already been done and if so the average joe-hiker could at least give it an attempt. It wouldn't require speed just some strength and planning. A thru-hike with the least amount of re-supplies. If you could carry a 20 day supply or more how many times do you think you would need to come into town, re-supply and complete a thru.

bfayer
07-02-2012, 15:13
Simply put: Yes.

I agree. Maybe not the best of the AT books, but well worth the read.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2