PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Shake a "Mary Ellen?"

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 00:03
Bryson's book, A Walk in the Woods,introduced his readers to a hiker named Mary Ellen. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe her. She talked incessantly on the trail; thought her gear was the absolute best; felt everyone could hike more miles; and belittled everyone in general. Now even though I'm opinionated on WB, I would never begin to act this way on the trail or put someone's gear or mileage down or insult them. But it got me to thinking- How do you get rid of people like this when you are hiking and they "attach" themselves to you?? I mean Bryson and Katz were saddled with her for days before launching an elaborate plot to evade her. (She went home 2 days later BTW, which is a little sad.)

ChinMusic
06-30-2012, 00:06
Oddly, "It's all good" comes to mind.

As a PPW I just take it in.

rocketsocks
06-30-2012, 00:23
Yep,there always Mary Ellen's in the world,basically harmless,if you can let stuff roll off your shoulders,if not yikes.But to answer your question,my cousin who were older use to "Ditch" me all the time ,I believe it went something like this....Ready...Ditch Em! he he

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 07:27
i just wear my 'hospital zone" tshirt.
sssssshhhhh.quiet, please.

MuddyWaters
06-30-2012, 07:39
get up really early and hike a really long day to get way ahead of them
hit a town and let them get ahead of you if they are faster
tell them you really want to hike by yourself, thats why you are out there

atmilkman
06-30-2012, 07:49
How do you "shake" a Mary Ellen? That's easy. You just shake the $hit out of her. But never hit her. WARNING R-rated contains adult language.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPboeNKMngc

WIAPilot
06-30-2012, 07:52
get up really early and hike a really long day to get way ahead of them
hit a town and let them get ahead of you if they are faster
tell them you really want to hike by yourself, thats why you are out there

I guess it might be difficult though to say you want to hike by yourself if you are hiking with another person at the time. And then you are still stuck with them until you can outdistance them. Is there any tactful way?

LOL Milkman-Chris Rock is sooo hilarious!

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 07:54
now this is where duct tape comes in handy

WingedMonkey
06-30-2012, 08:08
I wouldn't worry about made up characters from a made up trail hike book.

IrishBASTARD
06-30-2012, 08:09
Bryson's book, A Walk in the Woods,introduced his readers to a hiker named Mary Ellen. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe her. She talked incessantly on the trail; thought her gear was the absolute best; felt everyone could hike more miles; and belittled everyone in general. Now even though I'm opinionated on WB, I would never begin to act this way on the trail or put someone's gear or mileage down or insult them. But it got me to thinking- How do you get rid of people like this when you are hiking and they "attach" themselves to you?? I mean Bryson and Katz were saddled with her for days before launching an elaborate plot to evade her. (She went home 2 days later BTW, which is a little sad.) STRANGE WIAPilot you insulted me in another forum feed...weird how a hypocrite works is it not? Its people like YOU not willing to perhaps help said hiker...aka a "Mary Ellen" then condemn her. Perhaps she is struggling with the social change of said trip...as WE all do from time to time. Perhaps you should stop thinking of Bill Bryson as a Demi-God of Hikers...he did not even finish the trail but is an great story teller.

kayak karl
06-30-2012, 08:20
if they want to be part of your little club, there are rules. walk OR talk not both, question time is 5-5:30 Mon-Fri, NO gossip and if they agree this is the time to discuss weekly dues. :) Oh, initiation is doing all wash in towns.

Nutbrown
06-30-2012, 09:40
If you are thruing, they won't be with you the entire time. Wait em out. A section would be more difficult, especially if you are with friends and want to hike with only your friends. ...but it would make for a memorable hike.

Biggie Master
06-30-2012, 10:30
Oh no, you didn't really buy that brand of boots? BIG mistake! -- My wife and I still paraphrase that line from Mary Ellen.

Not sure of the best way to drop an unwanted guest into your private hiking party, but I think it will work itself out naturally. It could take a day or two, but eventually they will be separated from you. Different pace, different start and end times, zero days, etc... It will happen.

10-K
06-30-2012, 10:40
Do something that makes them want to leave *you*. Fart, curse... Liberal doses of "GDMF this and GDMF that", make a lot of noise at night so they can't sleep.

My all time favorite way to annoy the crap out of someone is to say "What?" every time they say something so they have to repeat it.

Makes people mad, then it makes them shut up. Guaranteed.

ChinMusic
06-30-2012, 10:44
My favorite way to annoy the crap out of someone is to say "What?" every time they say something so they have to repeat it.

I have a local friend that does that EVERY time. I've learned to initiate conversations with VERY short sentences.

tiptoe
06-30-2012, 11:31
You don't have this problem very often if you section-hike, if you are slow, and if you go southbound. Voice of experience here.

TD55
06-30-2012, 11:37
"I'm low of food, can you share some of yours with me or help me out with some cash?". Try that.

atmilkman
06-30-2012, 11:52
"I'm low of food, can you share some of yours with me or help me out with some cash?". Try that.
No bull! Start bumming money, that'll do it every time. It used to send me running, but now I'm too old and the answer is just plain NO. No reason, no excuses, just plain no. NO, NO, NO!

bfayer
06-30-2012, 12:01
A "Mary Ellen" type is harmless, and I have never found a need to ditch anyone like her. Most people like her I have met are good people that would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. I say just make friends with them.

ChinMusic
06-30-2012, 12:08
. Most people like her I have met are good people that would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. I say just make friends with them.

Are we talking about pink blazing now?

bfayer
06-30-2012, 12:19
Are we talking about pink blazing now?

Not from this end :) Most like her are guys anyway at least the ones I have run into. I would bet that the "Mary Ellen" in the book was a composite of several people anyway.

ChinMusic
06-30-2012, 12:41
I would bet that the "Mary Ellen" in the book was a composite of several people anyway.

Sorta like that IrishRoadside guy.........

bfayer
06-30-2012, 12:54
Sorta like that IrishRoadside guy.........

That was funny... Sad but funny.

Sarcasm the elf
06-30-2012, 12:58
I suppose a follow up question is: how often do you run into people like this?

In all my hiking I have only met one genuinely nasty person, and even then there was not that much of a problem. By coincidence I ran into this same person on the trail again almost five months later and she was quite nice. It turns out that she had un-diagnosed lime disease the first time I met her and it was making her miserable.

Then again, all my hiking has been north of DWG, so I have so far avoided most of the fools that act immaturely and dropout down south.

Velvet Gooch
06-30-2012, 13:28
Just click Add to Ignore List in your mind. The irony here is that many of you will not see this post

MuddyWaters
06-30-2012, 20:05
Plan B. Kill her and take her pop-tarts.

hikerboy57
06-30-2012, 20:33
that's 1 more bullet I'll have to carry

Mountain Mike
07-01-2012, 00:00
I ran into one hiker like her on the trail. It was a stormy night & full shelter on Roan mountain & I hoped he would team up with someone else. I tried playing possum & sleeping in. All the others opted for quick escape. I waited untill he went to latrine & did a record pack up & speedy hike. Met him months later & he had chiled out (or I had) quite a bit.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 00:04
Bryson said something like "I known for sometime that god wants me to spend time with each stupid person on the planet,and it seems this time I would not be spared"

Different Socks
07-01-2012, 00:09
Do something that makes them want to leave *you*. Fart, curse... Liberal doses of "GDMF this and GDMF that", make a lot of noise at night so they can't sleep.

My all time favorite way to annoy the crap out of someone is to say "What?" every time they say something so they have to repeat it.

Makes people mad, then it makes them shut up. Guaranteed.

I have this problem all the time b/c I am HOH. But when I try to be funny about it, no one laughs. They just get annoyed. But when they say "WHAT?", with a grin on their face, me being a HOH person, I am automatically supposed to laugh and think it is funny instead that in reality it is an insult to me.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 00:11
I have this problem all the time b/c I am HOH. But when I try to be funny about it, no one laughs. They just get annoyed. But when they say "WHAT?", with a grin on their face, me being a HOH person, I am automatically supposed to laugh and think it is funny instead that in reality it is an insult to me.what is HOH Diff?

ChinMusic
07-01-2012, 00:26
what is HOH Diff?

what?

Hard Of Hearing

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 00:37
what?

Hard Of HearingAh,thank you Chin,that would have bugged me all night,hehe

WIAPilot
07-01-2012, 00:49
I have this problem all the time b/c I am HOH. But when I try to be funny about it, no one laughs. They just get annoyed. But when they say "WHAT?", with a grin on their face, me being a HOH person, I am automatically supposed to laugh and think it is funny instead that in reality it is an insult to me.

I immediately thought this when I saw that post too because I have worked with the deaf and HOH and know ASL. (Sign Language) I'm sorry that this has happened to you. I just think that people in general need to be more educated.

Veetack
07-01-2012, 01:26
I met a guy at Neel's Gap who struck me as kind of strange, and I didn't really want to be around him. Lucky for me he left probably 2 hours before I did and I thought my problem was over. Well, I stopped to rest at Tesnatee Gap, and low and behold I had caught up to him. No biggie, I thought, if I made up two hours on him in just a few miles, I should have no problem losing him. Or so I thought. I was only going to Low Gap Shelter that night, so I pressed on. I got there with a reasonable amount of daylight to spare, and by this time I had put him in the back of my mind. Then, right about dusk, guess who rolls up. I failed to mention this, but this guy wasn't exactly a "Mary Ellen", rather he was a bigoted, drug addict, loudmouthed theif (he didn't steal from me, but I heard he took someones trekking poles the previous day). Regardless, I knew I had to get away from him. I made a point to make no mention of my future plans, and I left as early as possible the next morning. Well, I had some knee issues crossing the rocks on Blue Mountain, and headed into Helen from Unicoi Gap via the services of the wonderful Carol from the Helen Best Western. I was finally away from him! Oh wait. About 4 or 5 hours later I am in the hotel lobby when they receive a call from the trail from a hiker looking for a shuttle and a hotel room. Guess who showed up. This time I decided I had to take action. I couldn't afford to take a zero, so I spent the majority of the day and night actually hanging out with the guy. Aftwer talking over several beers, I counvinced him that HE should take a zero in Helen. We shared breakfast the next morning and I coaxed him into paying for another night at the hotel for himself. Just after that, I loaded my pack up in Carol's car and was back to the trail, didn't see the guy again. I was pretty proud of myself that day for my debauchery.

fiddlehead
07-01-2012, 01:48
We had a saying back in the late 80's, early 90's: It's all PATE Pronounced Pa-TAY (Part of the AT Experience)
Don't know if they still use that

There are many trails in the US.
The AT is the most popular.
If you think you are going to bothered by someone that talks too much, hike one of the other trails.

Hairbear
07-01-2012, 05:20
How do you "shake" a Mary Ellen? That's easy. You just shake the $hit out of her. But never hit her. WARNING R-rated contains adult language.

lmao funny 1

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 06:03
Do something that makes them want to leave *you*. Fart, curse... Liberal doses of "GDMF this and GDMF that",

Looks like I'll be doing a LOT of solo hiking. :p

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 06:06
that's 1 more bullet I'll have to carry

I was hoping I'd see this. +10

verasch
07-01-2012, 12:02
I have a tendency to develop a spontaneous case of tourettes.

hikerboy57
07-01-2012, 12:29
I have a tendency to develop a spontaneous case of tourettes.

that's how I got out of jury duty

verasch
07-01-2012, 12:31
that's how I got out of jury duty

I hit on the judge. I was a little surprised when he called me back.

hikerboy57
07-01-2012, 12:32
I hit on the judge. I was a little surprised when he called me back.i hope youu didnt find out whats under those robes.

verasch
07-01-2012, 12:36
i hope youu didnt find out whats under those robes.

Apparently, they're called 'chambers' for a reason.

hikerboy57
07-01-2012, 12:42
Apparently, they're called 'chambers' for a reason.

LOL..and i hate LOL:)

verasch
07-01-2012, 12:44
LOL..and i hate LOL:)
Well, I'm happy to bring the hate to any thread.

hikerboy57
07-01-2012, 12:48
place discontent here;

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 14:12
place discontent here;sssh,I wanna hear what happen next.

Rasty
07-01-2012, 14:22
"Pull my finger" should work!:)

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 14:28
"Pull my finger" should work!:)That's very funny,snicker snicker snicker

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 17:17
Bryson said something like "I known for sometime that god wants me to spend time with each stupid person on the planet,and it seems this time I would not be spared"

IS that like hanging out with this guy named Karl? http://bibliojunkie.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/karl-with-the-magnetic-man.jpg?w=750

(Idiot Abroad)

Mishigami Manitou
07-01-2012, 19:09
How Do You Shake a "Mary Ellen?"

If he/she's a left wing nut, tell him/her how much you like George Bush and you think the health care Supreme Court decision is a dump on the constitution.

If he/she's a right wing nut, tell him/her how much you like Barack Obama and you can't wait to get him re-elected this fall for another four years.

You might have to listen to some ranting for the day, but the next morning, they'll be gone.

rocketsocks
07-01-2012, 19:15
IS that like hanging out with this guy named Karl? http://bibliojunkie.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/karl-with-the-magnetic-man.jpg?w=750

(Idiot Abroad)I honestly don't know which of those two I'd rather hang out with,I guess I'd have to see what each can do with a hand held rotory cake beater.

SunnyWalker
07-02-2012, 11:59
Fiddlehead: HEY, PRETTY GOOD! THANKS. PATE.

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 12:31
If he/she's a left wing nut, tell him/her how much you like George Bush and you think the health care Supreme Court decision is a dump on the constitution.

If he/she's a right wing nut, tell him/her how much you like Barack Obama and you can't wait to get him re-elected this fall for another four years.

You might have to listen to some ranting for the day, but the next morning, they'll be gone.While that may work on the trail, it won't fly here, it would take at least 4 days to have that discussion, and probably wont make to the end of the day with out being deleted, IE;No Politics. If we can't agree to dig a scat hole, pick up nut husks, or just do the right thing, can you imagine a political debate....Ugly. I to have had this same topic in mind, but It would be a huge deal, and all out Donnie Brook if you will....:)

perrymk
07-02-2012, 12:31
If he/she's a left wing nut, ...
If he/she's a right wing nut, ...
How to Win a Fight With a Liberal
by Daniel Kurtzman
http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Fight-With-Liberal/dp/1402265735/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341246599&sr=8-3&keywords=argue+liberal

How to Win a Fight With a Conservative
by Daniel Kurtzman
http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Fight-With-Conservative/dp/140226576X/ref=la_B001JS8TZ0_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341246656&sr=1-1

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 12:36
by Daniel Kurtzman
http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Fight-With-Liberal/dp/1402265735/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341246599&sr=8-3&keywords=argue+liberal

by Daniel Kurtzman
http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Fight-With-Conservative/dp/140226576X/ref=la_B001JS8TZ0_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341246656&sr=1-1I havn't seen the links yet, but can only imagin.LOL in advance.

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 13:15
by Daniel Kurtzman

by Daniel Kurtzman
http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Fight-With-Conservative/dp/140226576X/ref=la_B001JS8TZ0_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341246656&sr=1-1I'll wait for the movie, hehehe

But ya know, I looked in one and it spoke about not allowing others politics to go without impunity, or it will spread like crab grass, this is perhps thee best advise I seen in a while, Kudos

verasch
07-02-2012, 17:49
If yer trying to win a fight with a libertarian, does that mean you need to read both books, or half of either?

hikerboy57
07-02-2012, 17:57
If yer trying to win a fight with a libertarian, does that mean you need to read both books, or half of either?
you cannot win a fight with a libertarian.

ChinMusic
07-02-2012, 18:52
"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play." - Joshua

Crash
07-02-2012, 19:00

Either totally ignore the person or view it as doing penance for all the horrible things you've done to others.
At times even you can be a Mary ellen to someone else!

Sent from my iPod touch.

jakedatc
07-02-2012, 19:08
Actually hike on the trail and find out? I think WIA is going to have the whole trail virtually hiked before she even packs a bag..

what if, what if, what if, what if.. holy moly.

should read AWOL, Skywalker, Barefoot sisters instead.

Mishigami Manitou
07-02-2012, 19:33

Wow, I haven't seen that movie in years. It's a good one, too.

hikerboy57
07-02-2012, 19:48
Actually hike on the trail and find out? I think WIA is going to have the whole trail virtually hiked before she even packs a bag..

what if, what if, what if, what if.. holy moly.

should read AWOL, Skywalker, Barefoot sisters instead.
"what was the best cairn youve seen while in a whiteout in the presis?":)

Wombat Farm
07-02-2012, 20:15
This sounds all too familiar (to many of us)....the last time I did a 1 week hike on the AT in Penn, there was a guy who kept on catching up with me who was a rampid racist...I tried to be polite and divert the conversations but I can't tolerate racists! So, when I realized I was faced with him being at the same camp site as me for a second night, I walked into a town and hitchhiked about 20 or so km up the trail. Now I know this isn't a good option if you're thru-ing or a purist but for me it was essential for my own sanity and enjoyment. Noone should be miserable so some else can be happy....I mean really! Funny thing is if that racist wasn't on the trail, and I wasn't trying to get rid of him, I wouldn't live in the country I do now (long story...another time). LOL The bottom line is...do what you need to do to (eh, within reason) to make it YOUR hike not someone elses! :banana

WIAPilot
07-02-2012, 20:20
This sounds all too familiar (to many of us)....the last time I did a 1 week hike on the AT in Penn, there was a guy who kept on catching up with me who was a rampid racist...I tried to be polite and divert the conversations but I can't tolerate racists! So, when I realized I was faced with him being at the same camp site as me for a second night, I walked into a town and hitchhiked about 20 or so km up the trail. Now I know this isn't a good option if you're thru-ing or a purist but for me it was essential for my own sanity and enjoyment. Noone should be miserable so some else can be happy....I mean really! Funny thing is if that racist wasn't on the trail, and I wasn't trying to get rid of him, I wouldn't live in the country I do now (long story...another time). LOL The bottom line is...do what you need to do to (eh, within reason) to make it YOUR hike not someone elses! :banana

Cool story!! Isn't it weird how certain people and actions can change your entire life?

Wombat Farm
07-02-2012, 20:27
Indeed WIA...indeed. I really love life here down unda! I do miss the AT though!!!! Coming from New Hampshire it was right in my back yard.

ChinMusic
07-02-2012, 20:31
Cool story!! Isn't it weird how certain people and actions can change your entire life?

Harry Chapin's lyrics taught me how NOT to treat my kids.

hikerboy57
07-02-2012, 20:33
"but we'll get together then, dad. you know well have a good time then".
do it now.

WIAPilot
07-02-2012, 20:34

The power of songwriting can be amazing. I think that Harry Chapin inspired a generation on how to be there for their children.

ChinMusic
07-02-2012, 20:40
The power of songwriting can be amazing. I think that Harry Chapin inspired a generation on how to be there for their children.

My son is getting married later this month. When they have their first kid, Verities & Balderdash will be a CD he will be receiving.

weary
07-02-2012, 22:11
Bryson's book, A Walk in the Woods,introduced his readers to a hiker named Mary Ellen. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe her. She talked incessantly on the trail; thought her gear was the absolute best; felt everyone could hike more miles; and belittled everyone in general. Now even though I'm opinionated on WB, I would never begin to act this way on the trail or put someone's gear or mileage down or insult them. But it got me to thinking- How do you get rid of people like this when you are hiking and they "attach" themselves to you?? I mean Bryson and Katz were saddled with her for days before launching an elaborate plot to evade her. (She went home 2 days later BTW, which is a little sad.)
Like a lot of his book, Mary Ellen was mostly a figment of Bill's imagination, concocked probably to help the book sell.

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 22:39
What's he doing?

XOX
XXO
OXO

He's learning, what powerful statements, Excelent Interjection Mr.Chin, great movie too ~Wargames

rocketsocks
07-02-2012, 22:44
Cool story!! Isn't it weird how certain people and actions can change your entire life?Another great thread Kathy,much discussion here.I do believe this qualifies for some butter, cause your on a roll.

ChinMusic
07-02-2012, 22:54
Funny thing is if that racist wasn't on the trail, and I wasn't trying to get rid of him, I wouldn't live in the country I do now (long story...another time).

"If it wasn't for my horse, I'd never have spent that year in college."

Canyonero
07-03-2012, 00:07
"If it wasn't for my horse, I'd never have spent that year in college."

It's dark in here, and we may die.

hikerboy57
07-03-2012, 06:18
mary ellens should be stirred,not shaken.

atmilkman
07-03-2012, 06:42
mary ellens should be stirred,not shaken.
Uh, I'll take my mary ellen shaken please, and not lightly thank you.

hikerboy57
07-03-2012, 06:46
shake her by the ankles see if any cliff bars fall out

Driver8
07-03-2012, 10:15

On the rocks.

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 10:52
On the rocks.

Tossed, not stirred.

max patch
07-03-2012, 12:12
Whats ironic is that if the OP yaps as much in person as she posts she'll be the Mary Ellen of 2013.

Lone Wolf
07-03-2012, 12:15
Whats ironic is that if the OP yaps as much in person as she posts she'll be the Mary Ellen of 2013.

hahahahahaha :)

Driver8
07-03-2012, 12:28

Hey, that's not nice. She's an enthusiastic newbie to the world of the A.T., excitedly planning her thru-hike. Cut her some slack. I like her energy and determination, and reckon with time she'll mellow. Don't long distance hikes teach one a bit of patience?

max patch
07-03-2012, 12:39
It may not be "nice" but its honest.

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 12:52
It may not be "nice" but its honest.I think you should meet her at springer next spring/winter, and walk with her for the day.:sun

fungi601
07-03-2012, 12:52

RFLOL!!!! that was hilarious. Great answer Milkman. Mary Ellen kind of reminds me of the long hair hippy dude in Southbounders. He got on my nerves just watching the movie.

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 12:54
RFLOL!!!! that was hilarious. Great answer Milkman. Mary Ellen kind of reminds me of the long hair hippy dude in Southbounders. He got on my nerves just watching the movie.Slackpack, he was awesome, made the movie!

Lostone
07-03-2012, 12:58
600 posts in two months...... the OP is what the she wants to ditch.....Rich and a big mouth.

WIAPilot
07-03-2012, 12:59
LOL Max, you do not have to worry at all. I can guarantee you that I won't be hiking two seconds with you. But you're right. It's time that I took a break. Thanks to everyone who helped me and made WB so great. I tried to ask questions that I thought everyone would enjoy answering, but I guess I wasn't successful. To the friends I made on WB: I hope to see many of you on the trail next year! :sun

Driver8
07-03-2012, 13:02
I tried to ask questions that I thought everyone would enjoy answering, but I guess I wasn't successful.

You posted a lot of good stuff, and heaven knows a large part of what all of us post here is garbage, so I wouldn't be self-conscious about the occasional misfire. You've added a lot to these boards.

chief
07-03-2012, 13:04
I call it the "Google Effect". These days you can gain topical knowledge of most any subject just by looking it up on the NET, even on the fly. Forums are full of the newly informed-uninformed who criticize and advise based on their search skills. Unfortunately, a few turn into Mary Ellen. Sometimes it's fun to watch them crash and burn when faced with the reality of their ignorance.

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 13:10
LOL Max, you do not have to worry at all. I can guarantee you that I won't be hiking two seconds with you. But you're right. It's time that I took a break. Thanks to everyone who helped me and made WB so great. I tried to ask questions that I thought everyone would enjoy answering, but I guess I wasn't successful. To the friends I made on WB: I hope to see many of you on the trail next year! :sunI thourghly enjoyed all your threads,and I think alot of nay sayers did to, it gave em somethin to b**** about. hehehe

Driver8
07-03-2012, 13:10
No question, the best knowledge of any trail comes from hiking it. In Pilot is a person 2000 miles from the A.T., who hikes a lot in her home southwestern U.S. So she's eager to learn a lot about the A.T. as she plans her hike next year and is using this superb resource for that. Good for her.

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 13:23
With regard to Mr. shaken not stirred Sean Connery,he gave a interview one time and said "every women needs a good smack every now and again" I lost so much respect for him that day, as a Actor, Scotsman, the best james bond, and as a Man, what a Ahole.:mad:this may be be the first mad face I've ever posted.Oh,forgot to say chris rock is awesome, very funny guy indeed.:)

BabySue
07-03-2012, 14:08
Sing loudly?
Hike naked?
Skip?
Vomit?
Skip naked?

Rasty
07-03-2012, 14:28
Sing loudly?
Hike naked?
Skip?
Vomit?
Skip naked?

Skipping naked is just sick

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 14:29
Way to go a-holes! Heaven forbid a person join a message board and be an enthusiastic member thereof, participating in discussions and asking questions about the topic at hand, maybe trying to provoke some interesting conversation. Man, we sure wouldn't want that on a MESSAGE BOARD, which is intended for conversation and human (albeit virtual) interaction.

THIS ISN'T THE FRIGGIN' TRAIL, PEOPLE! If you want solitude or to be left alone, CLICK THAT LITTLE RED X AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER.

You clowns who think you own this place just because your join date was during the Lincoln administration or because you've walked a couple feet need to get the he** over yourselves. I don't see any trees or fire hydrants here, so quit pi$$ing all over the place.

This obviously doesn't apply to everyone here, but if you're wondering, "Does he mean me?" I probably do.

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 14:30
Please, go ahead and bust my chops for being a noob who's never hiked and having an opinion. You won't run me off. I'll just post more.

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 14:32
Sing loudly?
Hike naked?
Skip?
Vomit?
Skip naked?

Sing loudly while skipping naked, occasionally stopping to hurl?

hikerboy57
07-03-2012, 14:39
pilot it's kind of ironic that every single 1 of us who have been critical have participated in almost every 1 of your threads. the questions you have asked havr set off some lively debates. it's kind of reminds me when we were kids and a boy would pinch a girl to show her that he liked her. I still see a courtship in the making between you and lone wolf when you meet him in damascus next year. don't leave us. really don't

Rasty
07-03-2012, 14:40
Sing loudly?
Hike naked?
Skip?
Vomit?
Skip naked?

Sing loudly while skipping naked, occasionally stopping to hurl?

For some reason hurling while singing and skipping naked is a lot less creepy than just skipping naked. Do you stop singing when you hurl or just try to power through it?

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 14:42
I still see a courtship in the making between you and lone wolf when you meet him in damascus next year. don't leave us. really don't

Wedding bells in the woods?

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 14:45
For some reason hurling while singing and skipping naked is a lot less creepy than just skipping naked. Do you stop singing when you hurl or just try to power through it?

Definitely power through. The stopping only referred to skipping. Wouldn't want to spew all down the length of the trail. Dig a cat hole, hurl, motor on.

Would it still be a cat hole for puking, or is there another name?

What kind of blazing would it be to vomit your way down the trail? Bile blazing? No--not cool sounding enough, no humorous ring to it.

Rasty
07-03-2012, 14:53

Definitely power through. The stopping only referred to skipping. Wouldn't want to spew all down the length of the trail. Dig a cat hole, hurl, motor on.

What kind of blazing would it be to vomit your way down the trail? Bile blazing? No--not cool sounding enough, no humorous ring to it.

Sputum Blazing

WingedMonkey
07-03-2012, 14:56
Elizabeth: Good night, John Boy.
John-Boy: Good night, Elizabeth. Good night, Daddy.
John: Good night, Son. Good night, Mary Ellen.
Mary Ellen: Good night, Daddy. Good night, Mama.
Olivia: Good night, Mary Ellen. Good night, Jim Bob.
Jim Bob: Good night, Mama. Good night, Erin.
Erin: Good night, Jim Bob. Good night, Ben.
Ben: Good night, Erin. Good night, everybody.

verasch
07-03-2012, 15:06
CLICK THAT LITTLE RED X AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER.

I'm on a mac...?

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 15:10
I'm on a mac...?

Then do whatever you Mac-heads do to close your browser. Sorry, I don't speak Mac.

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 15:14
Sputum Blazing

That could work. Hmmm...regurgiblazing?

Rasty
07-03-2012, 15:23
Sputum Blazing

That could work. Hmmm...regurgiblazing?

Does cover more vomit categories.

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 15:41
How are things in good old Wilmywood? When I'm not playing in the sand, I live just up the road in Jacksonville.

Rasty
07-03-2012, 15:46
How are things in good old Wilmywood? When I'm not playing in the sand, I live just up the road in Jacksonville.

Almost as hot as Baghdad (Maybe 10 degrees less but 66% Humidity), just got back from Idaho for two weeks where it was 60's to 70's every day with 30% humidity. Hit snow at 6500' on Scotchmans Peak.

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 15:49
I do NOT miss the humidity! Every time I go home I feel like I'm diving without a SCUBA tank trying to breathe that air.

Lone Wolf
07-03-2012, 16:02
Way to go a-holes! Heaven forbid a person join a message board and be an enthusiastic member thereof, participating in discussions and asking questions about the topic at hand, maybe trying to provoke some interesting conversation. Man, we sure wouldn't want that on a MESSAGE BOARD, which is intended for conversation and human (albeit virtual) interaction.

THIS ISN'T THE FRIGGIN' TRAIL, PEOPLE! If you want solitude or to be left alone, CLICK THAT LITTLE RED X AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER.

You clowns who think you own this place just because your join date was during the Lincoln administration or because you've walked a couple feet need to get the he** over yourselves. I don't see any trees or fire hydrants here, so quit pi$$ing all over the place.

This obviously doesn't apply to everyone here, but if you're wondering, "Does he mean me?" I probably do.
what are you talkin' about?

John B
07-03-2012, 16:03

I think she just got her trail name. ;)

rocketsocks
07-03-2012, 16:20
Almost as hot as Baghdad (Maybe 10 degrees less but 66% Humidity), just got back from Idaho for two weeks where it was 60's to 70's every day with 30% humidity. Hit snow at 6500' on Scotchmans Peak.kinda funny but yes, even those higher latitude areas like MI,SD can get really hot little bubbles of warm southern air and it gets locked in and stays for days,very strange.

moytoy
07-03-2012, 17:30
what are you talkin' about?
High sensitivity around here. It is a full moon! Just sayin!

Sarcasm the elf
07-03-2012, 17:41

In my experience, one of the main reasons to get a cat is so you can finally have a small animal puke all over your floors. So yes, My vote goes or the term cathole when it comes to puking also. :rolleyes:

max patch
07-03-2012, 18:27
I think she just got her trail name. ;)

Now thats funny.

Red Hat
07-03-2012, 22:14
I'm looking forward to meeting WIAPilot in GA next spring on her hike. And I still want to play Mary Ellen if that movie ever gets made!!!!

Coffee Rules!
07-03-2012, 22:15
In my experience, one of the main reasons to get a cat is so you can finally have a small animal puke all over your floors. So yes, My vote goes or the term cathole when it comes to puking also. :rolleyes:

Cathole it is, then!

draagonflies4
07-15-2012, 16:27
wonder if they missed her :p

Rain Man
07-15-2012, 21:38
Oh, the irony.

:D

OzJacko
07-16-2012, 03:27
+1 on the trail name Pilot!
Look forward to seeing you in 2013.
I think like me you find reading WB the only way to treat the Springer Fever. I go for walks on my local trail whenever I can but use WB etc to feed the need to be on the AT.

Re vomiting, how about "chunder blazing". In Oz we call vomit chunder. Much more friendly sounding description...:D

Donde
07-16-2012, 04:14
The more important question is, how do shake a "Bryson"? Answer by hiking the trail. To the OP this is not something to worry about stuff like that sorts itself it out on the hike. Why are people acting shocked that some inexperienced noob is lighting up the board. Happens often does it not? I remember a certain NOBO attempt in my class that put more posts up here before Springer than miles made before getting off trail.

Rasty
07-16-2012, 08:48
+1 on the trail name Pilot!
Look forward to seeing you in 2013.
I think like me you find reading WB the only way to treat the Springer Fever. I go for walks on my local trail whenever I can but use WB etc to feed the need to be on the AT.

Re vomiting, how about "chunder blazing". In Oz we call vomit chunder. Much more friendly sounding description...:D

Chunder Blazing has my vote. It's got a ring to it.

Sly
07-16-2012, 09:12
And I still want to play Mary Ellen if that movie ever gets made!!!!

February 2012 - It was reported (http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Noted-novelist-Richard-Russo-A-sense-of-place-3357335.php) that novelist Richard Russo, during a speech at Union College, confirmed that he was working on the screenplay